1. Post #41
    May 2010
    3,734 Posts
    Every time I see a Mirror's edge style map, I think the theme is just an excuse for a blocky map. ''hurrr, i made a cool map its mirrors edge so you cant say its blocky''. However this one looks kinda nice :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    January 2011
    71 Posts
    Depth08, imagine if somebody actually looks for that apple when the map is done. ;)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    258 Posts
    Ikea the game. It actually looks nice I must say.

4. Post #44
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    Tone down the rape HDR and it will be a winner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    January 2008
    372 Posts
    Only thing I want to comment on at this point is the usage of the texture for this chair:

I would try and get a black leather texture so it not only stays true to the game's styles but also so it looks more aesthetically pleasing. That present texture throws off the shiny and futuristic style that is present throughout your map. With a black leather, even if it were dull and non-reflective, it would fit better within the present setting.

6. Post #46
    December 2010
    158 Posts
    Only thing I want to comment on at this point is the usage of the texture for this chair:

I would try and get a black leather texture so it not only stays true to the game's styles but also so it looks more aesthetically pleasing. That present texture throws off the shiny and futuristic style that is present throughout your map. With a black leather, even if it were dull and non-reflective, it would fit better within the present setting.
    Believe me I tried & anything dark without specular maps sucks balls!

7. Post #47
    January 2008
    372 Posts
    Believe me I tried & anything dark without specular maps sucks balls!
    Try grabbing a leather/dark texture and add a specular map to it. Anything is going to be better than what you have now.

8. Post #48
    September 2008
    41 Posts
    I like this a lot! Keep the making of this map! It looks really cool

9. Post #49
    December 2010
    158 Posts
    I don't think we should aim for something very different judging by this:
    http://www.electricblueskies.com/wor...teriors-06.jpg

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,398 Posts
    Looks pretty interesting. The only gripe I have is how perfect and clean it is. Mirrors Edge has more noise in the textures, even if the environment is clean. I'm not saying take the map and roll it in shit, but every wall is basically a matte color with specular (or none at all). It's a wip, I understand, so I'll wait to see how it unfolds. It's a great start, I like that big lobby a lot, the ceiling is really cool.

PS: As for the chairs, I would change the model altogether. A lot of the chairs in the offices in Mirrors Edge were composed of fabric cushions (or plastic) with chrome bars for support. Simplistic and clean design. Here's a pack of great models you could make good use of:

http://www.gaming-models.de/index.php/product/157

Oh and just in case, this elevator model might be useful:

http://www.gaming-models.de/index.php/product/374

The texture is alright. You could probably reskin it pretty easily if you needed to.

11. Post #51
    December 2010
    158 Posts
    Thanks especialy for the chair & furniture!
    No doubt I'll use those

12. Post #52
    :()
    August 2009
    2,695 Posts
    Looks pretty interesting. The only gripe I have is how perfect and clean it is. Mirrors Edge has more noise in the textures, even if the environment is clean. I'm not saying take the map and roll it in shit, but every wall is basically a matte color with specular (or none at all). It's a wip, I understand, so I'll wait to see how it unfolds. It's a great start, I like that big lobby a lot, the ceiling is really cool.
    Sounds like OP could use $Detail. Patient tuning will give it a great look.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    May 2010
    403 Posts
    If I were you I'd remove most of the wooden textures and stuff: patches of brown ruin the clean aesthetic. Make a white version and it'll look much better.

14. Post #54
    December 2010
    158 Posts
    the wood is experimental, It looks good in the lofts.

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,398 Posts
    If I recall, a majority of the offices in Mirrors Edge had either carpet or tile for flooring. I do like the idea of wood, but I think the brown looks a bit strange as well. Wood would only really fit in some kind of kitchen or lunch room area of the building anyway. Even then I'd probably choose tile over wood.

If you were to desaturate it some and make it either darker or lighter, then it might contrast better with the walls. I'd love to see what a white wood floor would look like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #56
    December 2010
    158 Posts
    If I recall, a majority of the offices in Mirrors Edge had either carpet or tile for flooring. I do like the idea of wood, but I think the brown looks a bit strange as well. Wood would only really fit in some kind of kitchen or lunch room area of the building anyway. Even then I'd probably choose tile over wood.

If you were to desaturate it some and make it either darker or lighter, then it might contrast better with the walls. I'd love to see what a white wood floor would look like.
    Yeah, The picture you see the wood in was a kitchen.
    Never really seen a kitchen in mirror's edge either, so that's why I chose the wood.
    I'm gonna choose black tiling or maybe white. Thanks for you advice ;)

17. Post #57
    IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME, YOUR OPINION DOESNT MATTER! >:(
    November 2009
    1,795 Posts
    Those cubemaps
    :gizz:

18. Post #58
    Dance like it hurts, Love like you need money, Work when people are watching. ~Scott Adams
    December 2008
    719 Posts
    I absolutely adore the "Medge" style, and I believe you've captured it a hundred times better than I have. If you want models, I'll gladly donate mine! (Unfortunately they're not part of any particular 'pack', so you'd have to use Pakrat or equivalent to take them and their materials out of the gm_freecity_plaza BSP.)

19. Post #59
    December 2010
    158 Posts
    Pictures 1/2/2011:

Too blue, working on it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Belgium Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    January 2011
    71 Posts
    oh no not too blue. Just make the white more visible.

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,566 Posts
    mat_bloomscale 0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

22. Post #62
    December 2010
    158 Posts
    Negative on that one. I tried it & it takes away alot.
    However, i'm fine-tweaking the lighting so bloom might fit right in.
    The blue impression you get is because of constant-linear lighting, which has been removed already.

23. Post #63
    Appreciates Subtle Titles
    April 2009
    6,789 Posts
    Freakin' sweet. Love ME.

24. Post #64
    September 2008
    705 Posts
    Where'd you take those pictures, OP?

Oh wait, that's the map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #65
    December 2010
    158 Posts

A sample of the office quarter, notice the new door prop.
    Lighting improved a little, still needs work!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Belgium Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

26. Post #66
    September 2009
    644 Posts
    I first thought that the door was a window = Seems pretty neat instead ! I like it ! (I wonder if using only one main color wouldn't be too much, I mean, to contrast).

27. Post #67
    I love My Cunt Oven
    August 2010
    4,201 Posts
    That door looks great. Like the real deal from the game.

28. Post #68
    IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME, YOUR OPINION DOESNT MATTER! >:(
    November 2009
    1,795 Posts
    I want to play Mirror's Edge now. :haw:

29. Post #69
    December 2010
    158 Posts
    Pictures 20/2/2011:

30. Post #70
    I love My Cunt Oven
    August 2010
    4,201 Posts
    wow.

31. Post #71
    Dennab
    July 2009
    195 Posts
    Looking great so far.

32. Post #72
    May 2010
    403 Posts
    IMO you're mixing up colours too much. Each area in ME is usually only one colour: storm drains are all green, that office level is all orange, the server room is all blue, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #73
    I know nothing about you but fuck it here's a title
    December 2005
    1,772 Posts
    IMO you're mixing up colours too much. Each area in ME is usually only one colour: storm drains are all green, that office level is all orange, the server room is all blue, etc.
    pretty much this. Otherwise you're doing a good job on the architecture.

34. Post #74
    December 2010
    158 Posts
    I tried experimenting with the colors in the pool underground. Other than that everything is where it should be. The office you see is not Accent area yet so it's supposed to be blue.

I'm gonna try do different stuff than mirror's edge because this isn't a mirror's edge map,
    it's in that same style/movement. Mixture in use of colors & simplicity.
    Yet some of the mixing might be overrated. Don't worry, in the end it will funk your eyes ;)

35. Post #75
    I love My Cunt Oven
    August 2010
    4,201 Posts
    Hmmmm...

Permission to port it to L4D2 once it's finished?

36. Post #76
    January 2011
    71 Posts
    Keep it up . It's great.

37. Post #77
    December 2010
    158 Posts
    Some of you might think the project & the progress of this map has become dead...
    I'm not giving it up just yet ;) It's still a long way from being finished, but my studies
    require alot of attention these days so I couldn't make more progress up until this day.

Exams are next week, but after that I got summer holidays, and might be able to put
    some work together & finish this map together with gm_bunkerfuel!

38. Post #78
    I love My Cunt Oven
    August 2010
    4,201 Posts
    Glad to know it isn't dead. A lot of good projects are falling off the radar these days.

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    599 Posts
    Will this map be suitable for parkour?

40. Post #80
    December 2010
    158 Posts
    I thought that question would be coming around one day :D
    Short and sorry to answar but, no.

Although this map reflects that unique style of mirror's edge,
    it will deviate from the concept. It was originaly designed,
    and is still being designed to fit the needs of rp-gamemodes.

To answer your question differently, even though it's an rp-map,
    I don't think you'll be finding alot of spots to use the parkour-mod
    to the best of it's abilities.

I am willing to make a different map for that, if a parkourmod arrives
    that has good animations, acceleration to replicate mirror's edge
    alot better than the mods that I see today... So I'm not sure :(