1. Post #1
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    11,551 Posts
    Joss Whedon's underappreciated 2002 Space-Western TV series that later became a movie.

Firefly

-Synopsis
    Earth has moved on. Overpopulation among other things has caused humanity to leave Earth and colonize new planets. The Inner planets became The Alliance, who wanted to unite humanity. The Outer planets wanted to live their lives like they always did became the Independents. War broke out, in which the Independents were defeated and now live oppressed and poor.
    Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds and his crew travel throughout the new solar system, doing whatever job comes there way. Legal and otherwise.

-Cast
    Serenity's Crew
    Nathan Fillion as Malcolm Reynolds- Captain of the Serenity, a Firefly class vessel
    Gina Torres as Zoe Washburne- Second in Command
    Alan Tudyk as Hoban 'Wash' Washburne- The Pilot
    Adam Baldwin as Jayne Cobb- The Hired Gun
    Jewel Staite as Kaylee Frye- The Engineer

Non-crew
    Sean Maher as Dr. Simon Tam- A Medical Doctor
    Summer Glau as River Tam- Simon's sister and telepath
    Ron Glass as Sheperd Book- A Preacher
    Morena Baccarin as Inara Serra- A Companion(similar to a prostitute, but more dignified)

The 14 Episode show follows the group as they do an assortment of jobs from planet to planet, such as a train heist, people smuggling, and medical supply theivery.
    Sadly, the show was cancelled by Fox near the end of its run due to lack of viewers. The show has now attained a cult status.

Serenity

-Synopsis
    A few months after the final episode of Firefly, an Alliance agent known as the Operative is tasked to bring in River Tam. While this is happening, Reynolds and the crew (sans Inara and Book), attempt to pull off a bank heist, bringing (for the first time) River with them, against the demands of Simon. The robbery goes off without a hitch, until they are attacked by the Reavers, a cannabilistic race of humans who saw the edge of the universe, and went mad. After they nearly escape, Simon tells Reynolds that he is leaving with River, because of her being in danger. But, when River goes crazy and starts a random outburst of violence in a bar while looking for a new ship, Reynolds must harbor the fugitives, learning that the Alliance is on their trail.

A good film. If you haven't seen the film or Firefly, I recommend seeing the film. You don't need to know the exact details of the TV show, but it helps.

Recommended for those who enjoy: Sci Fi, Westerns, Action, deep characters.

Enjoy!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 32Friendly Friendly x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,364 Posts
    For those of you with Netflix, both of these are on there and I highly recommend them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,559 Posts

Hopefully you'll be able to figure out why it's called the firefly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Friendly Friendly x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,710 Posts
    Obligatory 'why was this cancelled' post.
    Really good show. I'd recommend Cowboy Bebop to anyone who liked this, they're quite similar.

5. Post #5
    December 2008
    11,551 Posts
    I'll have to check it out.

Edited:

Fixed.

6. Post #6
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    This show being cancelled was one of the biggest crimes of our time.
    Here have a shot of my Firefly DVDs.

...along with Buffy and Farscape only because I was showing a friend what the cases looked like for them all.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,254 Posts
    excellent show

it's up there with babylon 5 for me, and would probably be far above it if the show didn't get cancelled
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    I'm a Wizard
    March 2006
    2,697 Posts
    A spectacular series. I picked up the box set when it was on Amazon for like $12.

9. Post #9

November 2010
    482 Posts
    How could they make such horrible movie posters to such a great series.

I wonder if another story taking place in the same universe would have the chance to be any good? It feels like everyone who seen Firefly really likes it so it doesn't seem like a too bad show to spend money making. Anyone who seen the original would at the very least see the first episode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,084 Posts
    Already a thread, but 'll say this again: It's probably one of the last truly great Sci Fi shows, and the best show Joss Whedon has done. (I'm not a fan of Buffy and Dollhouse wasn't too good)

Edited:

How could they make such horrible movie posters to such a great series.

I wonder if another story taking place in the same universe would have the chance to be any good? It feels like everyone who seen Firefly really likes it so it doesn't seem like a too bad show to spend money making. Anyone who seen the original would at the very least see the first episode.
    It's got a devoted fanbase, but it's quite small and probably wouldn't rack up the necessary viewing figures. As for the posters, I actually like the Serenity posters,and firefly can be forgiven because it's a TV series.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,913 Posts
    The only thing I really didn't like about this was the dumb karate shit the girl did in Serenity because it was a little girl doing dumb karate shit. How does anyone find that cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,560 Posts
    Reavers are badass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    5,875 Posts
    The only thing I really didn't like about this was the dumb karate shit the girl did in Serenity because it was a little girl doing dumb karate shit. How does anyone find that cool.
    The idea was that the alliance had brainwashed her and shit into becoming some crazy agent motherfucker or something along those lines.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

14. Post #14
    December 2007
    411 Posts
    I agree, fighting where the hero is losing slightly usually makes for a better fight but thats really what the rest of the crew does so wouldn't really make her stand out as a killing machine made by the Alliance.

15. Post #15
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    I thought the whole thing with River as a weapon was great, not to mention that her fight scenes were beautifully done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

16. Post #16
    July 2007
    196 Posts
    Spectacular series.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    December 2008
    11,551 Posts
    It's got a devoted fanbase, but it's quite small and probably wouldn't rack up the necessary viewing figures.
    Yeah. Ovation ran the episodes for a while, but they've stopped now. Why? I dunno.

Personally, I'd love to see a new movie, but since    Wash and Book were killed   , I don't think it will happen. Even Whedon said it himself.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,913 Posts
    I thought the whole thing with River as a weapon was great, not to mention that her fight scenes were beautifully done.
    The way they did it in the series was fine her fight scenes in the movie looked like a Resident Evil movie.

19. Post #19

September 2009
    809 Posts
    The_J_Hat posted:
    Personally, I'd love to see a new movie, but since    Wash and Book were killed   , I don't think it will happen. Even Whedon said it himself.
    I do recall Whedon saying that if he ever made another one,    he would bring them back somehow.   

Also, easily the best sci-fi show ever, Firefly basically ruined my life because it was so damn good that now I think everything sucks in comparison.

20. Post #20
    Ver
    September 2010
    388 Posts
    I miss the Series so much, I really wish it had gone past the first season.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,340 Posts
    I've got the Box set and Serenity so I may stream a couple episodes, if anyone's interested Just say so.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,254 Posts
    the one thing that bothered me about the series

they never revealed Book's secret.   

makes me sad as fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

23. Post #23

September 2009
    809 Posts
    They did in The Shepherd's Tale.

Edited:

It's a comic though.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,340 Posts
    They did in The Shepherd's Tale.

Edited:

It's a comic though.
    Nonetheless it's fucking awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25

June 2010
    314 Posts
    Best show by far. It has a brilliant script, brilliant actors and no one can see this show without trying to sing along the theme song.

Bought this on Blu-Ray 2 months back and watched it for a second time, it's still awesome and only 50€.
    It makes me wonder why all recent shows don't have awesome theme songs anymore, Caprica had a pretty good one but most other shows just flash you with a title for 5 seconds and that's it.

Also Whedon said that if he would go on with the series some day, he would just consider the film non-canon. So Wash and Book can still be in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,098 Posts
    This show being cancelled was one of the biggest crimes of our time.
    Here have a shot of my Firefly DVDs.

...along with Buffy and Farscape only because I was showing a friend what the cases looked like for them all.
    I have the show and the movie as well. Bought the movie while I was camping, in a bargain bin in the local grocery store. I had no idea how awesome Firefly was until I randomly picked it up. I'm so glad I did, it is one of my favourite shows ever.

I wanna give Farscape a try. I've been watching Lexx recently, the first season of which I picked up at Walmart the other day, and Farscape seems similar in terms of imagination and atmosphere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts

what a terrible poster

I've heard nothing but good things about firefly so I'm not judging based on the poster but wow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Agree Agree x 8 (list)

28. Post #28
    March 2008
    734 Posts
    I've seen Serenity but didn't know that there was a TV series. I'll check that out on Netflix.

29. Post #29
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    I have the show and the movie as well. Bought the movie while I was camping, in a bargain bin in the local grocery store. I had no idea how awesome Firefly was until I randomly picked it up. I'm so glad I did, it is one of my favourite shows ever.

I wanna give Farscape a try. I've been watching Lexx recently, the first season of which I picked up at Walmart the other day, and Farscape seems similar in terms of imagination and atmosphere.

I saw the first episode of LEXX but just it seemed way too bizarre for me.
    How is LEXX? Does it remain as bizarre as the first ep?

Farscape's definitely not in the same plane of existence as LEXX but it does have its moments of abnormality.
    I'd definitely recommend giving it a whirl.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    firefly sounds like one of those shows that was brilliant but was unfortunately not easily marketable to a wide enough audience (probably because most people are stupid, impatient, or both)

Edited:

DON'T BREAK MY FUCKING AUTOMERGE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31

June 2010
    314 Posts

what a terrible poster

I've heard nothing but good things about firefly so I'm not judging based on the poster but wow
    It has legs, swords, weapons and explosions, main ingredients for a good movie poster.

You see?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #32

September 2009
    809 Posts
    Kalibos posted:
    firefly sounds like one of those shows that was brilliant but was unfortunately not easily marketable to a wide enough audience (probably because most people are stupid, impatient, or both)
    It was mostly because FOX was fucking stupid and aired the episodes out of order, making the story much more difficult to follow.

Plus it was poorly advertised.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    It has legs, swords, weapons and explosions, main ingredients for a good movie poster.

You see?
    sarcasm right

34. Post #34
    December 2008
    11,551 Posts
    It was mostly because FOX was fucking stupid and aired the episodes out of order, making the story much more difficult to follow.

Plus it was poorly advertised.
    Yeah. They pretty much treated it as if it was just a filler show.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,084 Posts

what a terrible poster

Eh, it's OK. Not the best I've seen but it's pretty and manages to fit the main characters on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    July 2007
    981 Posts
    I've seen Serenity but didn't know that there was a TV series. I'll check that out on Netflix.
    Yeah, I saw the movie first without knowing of the TV series. A great movie and great series. In a way I kinda wish I didn't watch either as it was sad getting to the end of season 1 and realising there was no continuation...

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,098 Posts
    I saw the first episode of LEXX but just it seemed way too bizarre for me.
    How is LEXX? Does it remain as bizarre as the first ep?

Farscape's definitely not in the same plane of existence as LEXX but it does have its moments of abnormality.
    I'd definitely recommend giving it a whirl.
    Yeah, Lexx is fucked up but there's something charming about it. It's just one of those things that's so bizarre you can't look away.

Plus, I really enjoy the guest stars. Rutger Hauer is in episode 3 and Malcolm McDowell is in episode 4.

Rutger Hauer as Bog, king of Claggia!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,254 Posts
    Yeah, I saw the movie first without knowing of the TV series. A great movie and great series. In a way I kinda wish I didn't watch either as it was sad getting to the end of season 1 and realising there was no continuation...
    at least he was able to make a movie after it got cancelled to give it some sort of closure

it's certainly not the greatest closure in the world, but you can only do so much with a single film

39. Post #39
    July 2007
    981 Posts
    at least he was able to make a movie after it got cancelled to give it some sort of closure

it's certainly not the greatest closure in the world, but you can only do so much with a single film
    Gah, there was still so much life left in the show.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,675 Posts
    If I ever find myself in America I'm heading over to Fox and laughing at them. I'm sure they were kicking themselves at the high ratings the box-set/film got.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)