1. Post #241
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    I offered to buy a broken Macintosh from a client who wasn't willing to give me the money to go buy a new hard drive for it, and he wanted to charge me 2 grand because "macs are expensive".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 45 (list)

2. Post #242
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,831 Posts
    He teaches shortcuts that are never good for long-term mapping habits, and lead to really messy first maps for a lot of people. Usually those people find the Facepunch mapping forum, and then they have to tell that new person to break those habits.

Carve/Hollow tool instead of Clip, etc.

Edited:

ninja'd by >10 minutes, should probably refresh before posting...
    But in one of his videos he explained that you should never use carve?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #243
    I just had a crazy thought. I have an ancient GeForce 2. Not a 200, a 2. It's completely uncooled - no heat pipes, no fans, not even a heat sink. Nothing but the bare chip.

I have (as many of you probably do) a bin of parts, generally left over after upgrades or scavenged from junk computers. Mine happens to have several cooling devices, ranging from a small passive heat sink from a Mac G3 northbridge to a large heatsink/fan combo from a Pentium IV.

My thinking is, how much do you think I can overclock that thing once I put some serious cooling power on it? I'm betting I can at least double the clock (from 175mHz to 350mHz). Probably more. Any bets?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

4. Post #244
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    holy fuck i bet itd run crysis on high with that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 20Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #245
    I'm dumb! You don't have an excuse!
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    What temperatures does it get as-is?

6. Post #246
    What temperatures does it get as-is?
    Don't know - it doesn't seem to report temperatures.

And, unfortunately, I can't stick the Pentium IV's heat sink on it. It's literally bigger than the card is. Best I can do now is put a heatsink from a northbridge on it, and point a 92mm fan towards it. Unless I can find that 120mm fan...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

7. Post #247
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    But in one of his videos he explained that you should never use carve?
    I find his tutorials to be good, most of the shit I've read about him on these forums are complete make-believe or just a "well they suck"

his maps are a little blocky and lifeless but he's got a good technique and a creative mind, I think it's one of those let's-pick-something-to-bandwagon things
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #248
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,217 Posts
    I just had a crazy thought. I have an ancient GeForce 2. Not a 200, a 2. It's completely uncooled - no heat pipes, no fans, not even a heat sink. Nothing but the bare chip.

I have (as many of you probably do) a bin of parts, generally left over after upgrades or scavenged from junk computers. Mine happens to have several cooling devices, ranging from a small passive heat sink from a Mac G3 northbridge to a large heatsink/fan combo from a Pentium IV.

My thinking is, how much do you think I can overclock that thing once I put some serious cooling power on it? I'm betting I can at least double the clock (from 175mHz to 350mHz). Probably more. Any bets?
    IIRC, GPUs from that era couldn't really overclock well. I would be impressed if you can even push it to 200mhz.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

9. Post #249
    March 2010
    1,608 Posts
    Some GC incoming.

Does anyone have a non-working full ATX Motherboard they are willing to part with?

For a small shipping fee, or course   

10. Post #250
    December 2009
    7,217 Posts
    Some GC incoming.

Does anyone have a non-working full ATX Motherboard they are willing to part with?

For a small shipping fee, or course   

I have a dead dual socket 604 server motherboard that I don't need, but it's E-ATX

11. Post #251
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,433 Posts
    This was a thumbed up comment on one of SSoHkpC's new videos of Killing Floor.

And I quote. "The graphics are the same if your tv is good man :P most games have bad graphics whether its xbox or pc anyway, also i have a 1080p screen and i if anything pc gaming has taught me its that i have a terrible connection to the servers and that it sucks looking through lobbies with barely any people to find a match. I prefer xbox, where matches* are nearly instantaneous and i can change the color so it looks even BETTER anyway. btw $2067 is pricy."

:barf:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 36Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #252
    March 2010
    1,608 Posts
    Extended, right? Could I snatch it from you, if I pay shipping?

13. Post #253
    December 2009
    7,217 Posts
    Sure, but be aware that I live in Canada. PM me your postal/zip code for a shipping quote.

14. Post #254
    March 2010
    1,608 Posts
    Sure, but be aware that I live in Canada. PM me your postal/zip code for a shipping quote.
    PM'ed

15. Post #255
    Wingless is awesome. Also, View my site
    February 2010
    5,836 Posts

Really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

16. Post #256
    December 2009
    7,217 Posts

Really.
    I don't see how that is illiteracy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

17. Post #257
    June 2010
    9,073 Posts
    Some guy was listening to really loud music on his iPhone using headphones, and even through the headphones I could hear how extremely bad sound quality it was...I asked him how he could stand listening to that awful kind of quality, and he thought I was talking about the shitty Apple headphones he was using...It's amazing how deaf some people are, I mean really?

Edited:

Btw it sounded like a 32Kbps MP3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

18. Post #258
    Resident Raccoon
    January 2008
    8,905 Posts
    Probably downloaded from a Youtube video with one of those crap quality sites
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

19. Post #259
    June 2010
    9,073 Posts
    Yea, that's my theory too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

20. Post #260
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    9,722 Posts
    Probably downloaded from a Youtube video with one of those crap quality sites
    I never really do that, but once I had no choice.

I'm amazed I could get great quality 192Kbps audio from a 240p video, I've always imagined the audio quality being shit on the lower resoluton videos.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

21. Post #261
    August 2010
    2,383 Posts
    I work in a computer repair shop, and I had a guy come in today regarding the status of his computer. I was about halfway through tinkering when one of the other staff asked him if he had a Pentium 4 processor. He proceeded to tell us that it was a top of the line "Pentium 4 Celeron D".

Me and the other guy on repairs had to quietly burst into tears and turn our music up in the back of the shop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 23 (list)

22. Post #262
    June 2010
    9,073 Posts
    I never really do that, but once I had no choice.

I'm amazed I could get great quality 192Kbps audio from a 240p video, I've always imagined the audio quality being shit on the lower resoluton videos.
    Go to a music video that is at least 480p
    Choose 240p
    EAR RAPE

23. Post #263
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    9,722 Posts
    Go to a music video that is at least 480p
    Choose 240p
    EAR RAPE
    I know, but apparently videos that only has the 240p (maybe because the video was uploaded a long time ago, or just was uploaded in a very low resolution) option doesn't have as limited sound quality.
    Which is good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #264
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    Speaking of limited sound quality, remember when you had to add "&fmt=18" to the end of youtube addresses to make the video higher quality?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 31Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #265
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    9,722 Posts
    Speaking of limited sound quality, remember when you had to add "&fmt=18" to the end of youtube addresses to make the video higher quality?
    Yeah.

Good times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

26. Post #266
    Resident Raccoon
    January 2008
    8,905 Posts
    Instead of seeing "LOL JUSTIN BEEBER IS GAY" on every music video, you had "&fmt=18 for eargasm"

Edited:

Sometimes I wish I had the old Youtube back
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

27. Post #267
    June 2010
    9,073 Posts
    I know, but apparently videos that only has the 240p (maybe because the video was uploaded a long time ago, or just was uploaded in a very low resolution) option doesn't have as limited sound quality.
    Which is good.
    This is how Youtube audio quality is if the video is Full HD (Just an example)
    240<360<480=720=1080

If we have a video that is, say, 360p, the audio is as good as it is with a video of higher resolution.

Edited:
    So yeah, you're right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #268
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,562 Posts
    The Is your son a computer hacker one

Edited:

Where it says that "Linux is a terrible hacker OS that can't be uninstalled without damaging your hard drive"
    Popular hacker software includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and "Flash".
    AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips.
    8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"? (lol)
    BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos
    Telnet...

This person is a genius!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13Late Late x 1 (list)

29. Post #269
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,084 Posts
    Some guy was listening to really loud music on his iPhone using headphones, and even through the headphones I could hear how extremely bad sound quality it was...I asked him how he could stand listening to that awful kind of quality, and he thought I was talking about the shitty Apple headphones he was using...It's amazing how deaf some people are, I mean really?

Edited:

how could you hear what it sounded like through the headphones

all heaphones sound tinny and shit when you're not wearing them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

30. Post #270
    June 2010
    9,073 Posts
    how could you hear what it sounded like through the headphones

all heaphones sound tinny and shit when you're not wearing them
    Well, it was so loud and the audio was so horrible quality that I could easily hear it

31. Post #271
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,562 Posts
    Is it bad that when someone argues and I know they are wrong I want to punch them in the face and kill their family for bringing up such an abomination?

Edited:

about computers

Edited:

Oh and I was with some of my friends and they are talking about call of duty.
    Friend 1 : i got COLLATERAL LOL
    Friend 2 : yeah heheh
    Me: I don't like call of duty to be honest.
    Friend 1 : Why?
    Me : *Gives valid reasons why I don't like it*
    Friend 1 : at least it isnt your computer shit
    Friend 2 : *being cool and is ok with me not liking cod*
    Me: I don't like xbox or ps3 to be honest, I prefer PC because better community, I find it easier, I have more fun etc..
    Friend 1 : well fuck you bitch :c
    Me : Ok.

Then we played football with a bottle like we do every day!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 3 (list)

32. Post #272
    June 2010
    9,073 Posts
    Interesting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #273
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,281 Posts
    :frog:
    CSRSS.exe is not a virus
    Google told me it is a virus. Espescially when two of them are running.
    Youtube told me it is not a virus. Facepunch said nothing last time.
    Okay, not a virus.

Edited:

Uh what.
    Most every Debian-derived distro uses the GNOME desktop by default.
    Pinguy-s GNOME Desktop crashed. Forgot to add it in.
    I didn't even see it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events

34. Post #274
    HOLY FUCK EVERYONE HAS TITLES NOW
    January 2008
    4,241 Posts
    Google told me it is a virus. Espescially when two of them are running.
    Youtube told me it is not a virus. Facepunch said nothing last time.
    Okay, not a virus.

Edited:

Pinguy-s GNOME Desktop crashed. Forgot to add it in.
    I didn't even see it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client/...time_Subsystem

:downsbravo:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

35. Post #275
    June 2010
    9,073 Posts
    I thought it was Counter Strike runtime subsystem :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 8Zing Zing x 1 (list)

36. Post #276
    SirCrest Sexual Enthusiast
    August 2008
    14,678 Posts
    You realize that a lot of virus's disguise themselves as normal system processes like svchost.exe and csrss.exe, Right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

37. Post #277
    July 2009
    655 Posts
    Today on the bus to offsite games I listened to a wonderful gem from one of my friends about how someone they knew was making a computer that was "impossible to hack" and how he could send "all hacks back to the sender" and "he could see their hacking history and hack their computer in return" and "he learnt this system from when he hacked into avg" and "he did a 2 year course on viruses and hacking" and oh god i can't go on the horror someone help me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 20Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #278
    HOLY FUCK EVERYONE HAS TITLES NOW
    January 2008
    4,241 Posts
    You realize that a lot of virus's disguise themselves as normal system processes like svchost.exe and csrss.exe, Right?
    you realize that he said "google claims it's a virus" even though that's like the 3rd result
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

39. Post #279
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,281 Posts
    you realize that he said "google claims it's a virus" even though that's like the 3rd result
    Different servers (google.ee, google.com and such) send different results. I had csrss.exe is a virus as the first one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

40. Post #280
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,598 Posts
    Retarded kid: my friend is an awesum hakker and he hav lik 30 ips and hes gonna hack u and find out where u live and ill kill u fagot

Me: IP tracking will just get where my ISP is located, not my exact location. Besides, no hacker would buy 30 different IPs to recieve a fuckton of invoices requesting like, 30 $/month. NO ONE is that good of a hacker to own 30 IPs, besides, those can be tracked down too and find that imaginary friend of yours

Retard: ull see im gona get u baned from steam fag becus mi friend is a steam dev lol ownd

Me: He'd get GABEN'd for unfair ban.

Retard: NO{OB

Me: Aw, a retarded child trying to be cool. Go back crying to mama.

Retard: say godbye to ur steam acount bitsh fag fuker fagot fuck u fuck u fuck u fuck u fuck u fuck u fuck u fuck u fuck u fuck u fuck u fuck u fuck u fuck u fuck u fuck u

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 23Dumb Dumb x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)