1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    410 Posts
    Nikon D3000 w/ 18-55mm Kit Lens, a cheap but fairly reliable tripod. Gonna get a 50mm 1.8 as soon as I can save the cash.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    5,333 Posts
    Kodak EasyShare C1013, i saw a camera like the OP's at a old/pre-owned items shop. It was $200 tho.
    Anyway here is a picture that i got of Google, how can i take a picture of my camera without a camera? And i don't want to be in the picture so Mirror is a no.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,097 Posts
    Nikon D3000 w/ 18-55mm Kit Lens, a cheap but fairly reliable tripod. Gonna get a 50mm 1.8 as soon as I can save the cash.
    The 50mm 1.8 won't auto focus on your camera, in case you didn't realise. I would go for the 35mm 1.8, my friend uses it on his D5000 and it's really nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #124
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    Plus the 35 will basically be a 50mm on the crop sensor.

Go for the 35mm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    410 Posts
    But the priceeeeeeeee. It's 400 to the 1.8's 140. I'm also aware of the lack of autofocus, but I have always heard that the 1.8 was the best choice for a first lens off of kit. Besides, does the 35mm autofocus with my body?

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,097 Posts
    Yes, the 35mm is an AF-S lens, meaning it has a built in focus motor. AF lenses require a body with a built in motor for auto focusing, which is noisy and omitted from low end Nikon bodies.

Edited:

http://www.digitalrev.com/en/nikon-a...C6%2C7%2C8%2C9

Edited:

It's also quiet and fast when focusing due to the USM/SWM/whatever motor, which also allows for full time manual focus so you don't have to switch it to manual when you want to adjust focus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,229 Posts
    I got the 50mm 1.8 and I can deal with manual focus fine, sometimes I just have to take a bunch of photos first before I'm happy with it. 50mm is restricting in tight spaces so depending on how you like to shoot a 35mm 1.8 might be a better choice, albeit PRICEY!

8. Post #128

May 2006
    9,041 Posts
    I've never auto-focused with my 50mm.

9. Post #129
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    But the priceeeeeeeee. It's 400 to the 1.8's 140. I'm also aware of the lack of autofocus, but I have always heard that the 1.8 was the best choice for a first lens off of kit. Besides, does the 35mm autofocus with my body?
    No it isn't.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-AF-...8667201&sr=8-1

Also basically here's how autofocus works on Nikon cameras. Being the cheap-asses that they are, anything below the D90 doesn't have an internal autofocus motor. This means that regular AF lenses won't focus on your camera. Regular AF lenses work by using the camera's autofocus motor (which is basically a screw that drives the lens). AF-S lenses, however, have built in autofocus motors, which means it will focus on your camera regardless of internal motor or not.

The 35mm 1.8 is AF-S so it will autofocus on your camera. The 50mm 1.8 is simply an AF lens meaning it needs to be driven by the internal motor on the camera, which you lack so it won't autofocus. You could always pick it up and use manual focus, but I wouldn't really recommend that.

Edited:

I got the 50mm 1.8 and I can deal with manual focus fine, sometimes I just have to take a bunch of photos first before I'm happy with it. 50mm is restricting in tight spaces so depending on how you like to shoot a 35mm 1.8 might be a better choice, albeit PRICEY!
    Shit I can not manual focus to save my life. Well I can, but if given the choice, manual focus forever and live or autofocus and die right now, I'd choose death. Manual focus always gives me poor results, and I'm not fast enough to keep up with moving targets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,229 Posts
    I haven't manual focused on anything moving except for trying to shoot dirt I was kicking into a river today but that was difficult for other reasons, like trying not to fall in and having a slow burst/buffer rate. I found it difficult at the start but you soon get used to it. I still make mistakes like today where some things seem okay on the camera but on screen a bit blurry. Shoot lots of one thing to get it right.

My 50mm 1.8 likes to CA out the arse which isn't nice. Would love me a 35mm 1.8.

11. Post #131
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    Yeah with me it's more of a lack of practice than anything else, but I have neither the need nor desire to substitute autofocus. Only times when I do go manual is when the AF fucks around and doesn't select what I want or when it's too dark for AF to work properly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #132
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,670 Posts
    Nikon D3100 and the 18-55 mm kit lens.

After using a point and shoot for years, it's awesome. This summer I'll probably pick up a lens that could zoom a bit farther, but the kit lens is good enough for the moment.
    I still have a lot to learn about lenses, but I'm sure a few minutes of Googling can help me there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,330 Posts
    Camera: EOS 550D
    Lenses: Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 18-55mm with image stabilizer and a Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM.
    Flash: Canon Speedlite 430EZ
    Memory: 4GB and 8GB cards

This is the stuff I use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

14. Post #134
    November 2009
    1,814 Posts
    http://www.deviantart.com/download/174669416/My_Camera_by_Kieranoleary.jpgLeft -> Right...
    1. Flash
    2.The Camera (30 year old olympus OM-10 SLR camera)
    3.(resting against the camera) Polarising lens cover/filter
    4.3 filters are the back:Warm, Sunset & Diffuser Lens
    5. Wide angle Lens (will get details)
    6. Makinon 80-200mm zooming lens
    7.Lens covers(backround)
    8. Fitting rings and holder for filters

I preference use of 200 ASA film...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,928 Posts
    Guys, I have a problem I need your help with. I'm using a Nikon D60, which has no internal way of triggering a strobe. I've received a Nikon SB-900 speedlight as a gift and I'm tired of using it on the camera hotshoe. Can you recommend me a reasonably-priced wireless trigger? (the D60 has no PC jack either)

Reasonably priced is somewhere under 40 bucks or so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    655 Posts
    Guys, I have a problem I need your help with. I'm using a Nikon D60, which has no internal way of triggering a strobe. I've received a Nikon SB-900 speedlight as a gift and I'm tired of using it on the camera hotshoe. Can you recommend me a reasonably-priced wireless trigger? (the D60 has no PC jack either)

Reasonably priced is somewhere under 40 bucks or so.
    something like this?
    http://www.amazon.com/ProMaster-Delu.../dp/B0030S83E4
    it's not wireless but gives some extra room

or http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-N...8826543&sr=1-1

found these just by searching a little...

17. Post #137
    Antichristian Heathen Icelandic Bastard
    June 2008
    5,700 Posts
    Some fag dissed my olympus last night

:saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Iceland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

18. Post #138
    DD's 10 year old
    April 2010
    17,359 Posts
    Did you let him get away with it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

19. Post #139
    June 2008
    5,700 Posts
    Yeah, because I know my olympus is a marvelous camera

I don't let things like that get to me though, but wtf I was minding my own buisness and he was all like "LmoA whyD u Get oLMYpus"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Iceland Show Events

20. Post #140

May 2006
    9,041 Posts
    I love my dads E-500.

Edited:

The Zuiko lenses are great.

21. Post #141
    June 2008
    5,700 Posts
    Aye, they're not bad for kit lenses at all

The fact that it's all lightweight and small really is a + in my books
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Iceland Show Events

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,928 Posts
    something like this?
    http://www.amazon.com/ProMaster-Delu.../dp/B0030S83E4
    it's not wireless but gives some extra room

or http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-N...8826543&sr=1-1

found these just by searching a little...
    Thanks. I know you can find a thousand of them by searching, I was asking for personal input, maybe someone has some experience. I've heard good things about Yong-nuo triggers, can anybody confirm this?

What I'm looking for, by the way, is a way to perform proper outside lighting conditions - filling shadows and balancing the ambient, along with a reflector. Therefore I need some range (way more than that puny cable Roswell showed me.

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,275 Posts
    Camera:
    Minolta X-370

Lenses:
    Gemini 80-200 MM
    Minolta 49 MM
    Minolta 52 MM

Flash:
    Gemini 2202
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    November 2009
    1,205 Posts
    I'm using a Holga 135, which uses 35mm film.

My Flash is a Holga 15B, with little color cards on the front that I guess you can put in front of the flash to capture a different color in the image you are capturing.

And I'm using a fish-eye lens.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #145
    Glod Member
    July 2010
    4,460 Posts
    I've got your back, fellow hipster.

(referring to all the people about to call you one)

26. Post #146
    November 2009
    1,205 Posts
    I've been called that a lot, but I'm not a hipster. I actually didn't even realize that the website I bought the camera off of was a hipster website. I got the camera just to take fucked up looking pictures, I think they look cool.

27. Post #147
    DD's 10 year old
    April 2010
    17,359 Posts
    That blue color, and the fish eye, triggered my hipst-o-meter.

28. Post #148
    Glod Member
    July 2010
    4,460 Posts
    The fact that it's a holga alone = hipster.

And I'm just poking fun, don't get so defensive. I have some pretty glaring hipster-tendencies myself.

29. Post #149
    November 2009
    1,205 Posts
    I'm not trying to come off as super defensive, just explaining my reasoning.
    And I can't really claim if I'm hipster or not, since I don't know the true definition of it. But by what I've seen people call hipster, and describe hipster as, I don't fit the description too well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    DD's 10 year old
    April 2010
    17,359 Posts
    Meh, it's not like you're rubbing your ~artsyy skilzz~ into our faces.

31. Post #151
    November 2009
    1,205 Posts
    Meh, it's not like you're rubbing your ~artsyy skilzz~ into our faces.
    I got none of that ~artsyy skilzz~, just a fucked up camera, and some film. :>

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    9,002 Posts
    i hate when people think film = hipster faggot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #153
    November 2009
    1,205 Posts
    I'm actually getting confused with this film stuff. Seems really complicated. Not only the different types, but getting it in there, and getting it out. Plus, I don't think I'm getting it in there tight enough. Some of my pictures are coming out dark and shaky looking. Don't know if my shutter is fucking up, or if the film is fucking up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #154

May 2006
    9,041 Posts
    A had a blackout from all the hipster and now I don't know what day it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,229 Posts
    SB-700 Posted, better be here this week or I will fucking flip. I think I'll sell my Dell Ultrasharp, not really using it that much and to be honest, 400 could go towards a 35mm 1.8! My MBP is much nicer after calibration so I'd be okay to just edit on that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-35Mm-F...8920647&sr=8-1

WANT

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,928 Posts
    The nifty fifty is the best lens.
    Don't even think about getting the 1.8 if you want one.

37. Post #157

May 2006
    9,041 Posts
    But the nifty fifty is the 1.8...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    9,002 Posts
    50mm 1.4 for 200 was jessops best deal

39. Post #159

May 2006
    9,041 Posts
    Actually it was 185 and I'm kicking myself for missing out on such a great typo.

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,229 Posts
    I linked the 50mm by accident! DERP

Want that 35mm 2.0 because the 1.8 is a DX lens, if I get into university I think I'll save for a full frame.

NEXT DAY DELIVERY ARE YOU DOWN LIKE A CLOWN TO TOUCH YA CHARLIE BROWNS