1. Post #441
    ☂☂☂☂ ☂☂☂ ☂☂ _☂_
    January 2005
    22,306 Posts
    T
    Now just waiting for a 50mm f1.4 to roll my way.
    is it that good for filming?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

2. Post #442
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,683 Posts
    is it that good for filming?
    Yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

3. Post #443
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    As of 11am this morning my lens was with the delivery courier, leaving from London-Heathrow. I live like 20 minutes from Heathrow, so I don't know why I haven't recieved it yet as it's now 4:30. Well hopefully it will arrive today at some point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #444
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    "6:52pm Delivery attempted; recipient not home"

WHAT THE FUCK. MY WHOLE FAMILY WAS AT HOME. NO ONE RANG THE DOORBELL. FUCK YOU DHL, FUCK YOU.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

5. Post #445
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,335 Posts
    hurry up and call to see if you can pick it up before they close
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #446
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,581 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

7. Post #447

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    anyone reccomend a reasonably cheap but decent tripod? velbon do some cheap ones but whats the quality like?

8. Post #448
    Facepunch iSeries!
    November 2007
    4,363 Posts
    anyone reccomend a reasonably cheap but decent tripod? velbon do some cheap ones but whats the quality like?
    I have a Velbon DF-60, It's alright but I wouldn't trust it in high winds with a heavy camera+lens on it.

9. Post #449
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,801 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #450
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    410 Posts
    I love how he has a Nikon strap on a Canon camera.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #451
    April 2010
    317 Posts
    I love how he has a Nikon strap on a Canon camera.
    One of digitalrev's inside jokes.

Kai is always called a Nikon fanboy, so he always puts the Nikon strap on Canon DSLR's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

12. Post #452
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,635 Posts
    One of digitalrev's inside jokes.

Kai is always called a Nikon fanboy, so he always puts the Nikon strap on Canon DSLR's.
    And vice-versa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #453
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    Good news: My lens came (it's HUGE)

Bad news: I left my camera on overnight AGAIN.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #454
    RESIDENT ASBESTOS OBSESSIVE
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    What lens did you get barnhouse?

15. Post #455
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    Sigma 30mm 1.4.

I'll try and take some pictures today.

16. Post #456
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    Nice, I look forward to seeing them.

17. Post #457
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,335 Posts
    Waiting to hear back from a guy selling one of these sexy thangs. He only wants $180 for it. I hope to god he still has it. I really need a proper 35mm. 120 is great but I can't rely on it.

I'll have to find one of these grips for it.

Edit: more pictures

18. Post #458
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,635 Posts
    meh, 1Ns go for <100 here

19. Post #459
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    I've let everyone down I haven't taken any photos today, I'm going out tomorrow so I'll take some then. In fact I need to fix my bike for tomorrow so I might take one of my bike today.

20. Post #460
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    869 Posts
    "6:52pm Delivery attempted; recipient not home"

WHAT THE FUCK. MY WHOLE FAMILY WAS AT HOME. NO ONE RANG THE DOORBELL. FUCK YOU DHL, FUCK YOU.
    Wow, what a coincidence.

My 70-200 2.8 was also delivered by DHL and they fucking suck man. Yesterday they told me my package had arrived at my local parcel collectors place.. but it wasn't there man.. it wasn't there. Oh well, it came today though. I'll snap some pictures this coming weekend.

Edited:

Cosmetically it's a little worn, but it works great.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #461
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,387 Posts
    The drift team sponsored 3 GoPro HD's for me. So now I've got my 5DMKII and 3 GoPro's to make alot of cool video this year.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

22. Post #462
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    I would love one of those. What did you do to get sponsored them?

23. Post #463
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,387 Posts
    I know the team owner, and I've known him long before the drift team even started. I did alot of free work, made graphics for cars, clothes, merchandise, took promotion photos, helped with alot of stuff in general.

He gave me a MacBook Pro aswell.

Not to show off or anything (okay, maybe a little), but here's some of the stuff I made.

The graphics on these cars:

Made the designs for alot of their clothes like the ones in the pictures (also made the graphics on the Supra and took the pictures)

I took an absolute shitload of pictures for the team, and I did a little video. And now we're settling for alot more video. Just made this with some old clips from last year, yesterday:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #464
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    I'm jealous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #465
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    Yeah dude those graphics you made were siiiiick. I remember that thread well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #466
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    I wish I had the opportunity to build my portfolio doing work for a business like that, even if I got nothing in return except for experience.

27. Post #467
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,387 Posts
    Go for it dude. You have to work your ass off for free initially. I've worked for free for all my "photographical career" (which is still on freelance basis), which has been going on since I was 15, and I turn 21 this year.
    Get to know people, do all the work you can. Always consider saying yes to a job, it might be fun. You might meet new people that are good contacts.

You shouldn't neccessarily insist on working for free, and ofcourse there's the point where people would just use you because you do free stuff, but in general, everybody I've worked for free for, has been really cool, and helpful in various situations.
    And now it's come to this, I've helped my friend Kim this much and he's helping me back with all this gear. I get hotel stays and travels paid too, across the country. It's awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #468
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,942 Posts
    this camera is fucking incredible.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #469
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,387 Posts
    that's badass. I never understood, why is there two lenses? Is one of them the viewfinder or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

30. Post #470
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,942 Posts
    I drew a diagram to try to explain it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

31. Post #471
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,690 Posts
    To be honest, that's a terrible design idea. But I guess they couldn't have thought of anything better at the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #472
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,942 Posts
    To be honest, that's a terrible design idea. But I guess they couldn't have thought of anything better at the time.
    ellaborate on why that's terrible... It has no moving mirror which means it's far more stable, the leaf shutter is inside the lens so you can flash sync at any speed. if having multiple lenses is such a terrible idea then how come cameras like Leicas are so popular and highly regarded?

Edited:

also have you ever seen a ground glass screen? they are AMAZING
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #473
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,250 Posts
    bought a cheap and cheerful Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 for my trip to Anglesey.

Not buying anything expensive yet since i'm still exploring my limits.

So far my kit is.
    Canon 400D
    18-55mm EFS F3.5-5.6
    Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6
    Billingham canvas bag
    420Ex (Going for a 580 during summer, and needed a quick speedlight before a wedding but didn't have enough money for a 430Ex)
    A tripod my old man had, forgot it's name.

34. Post #474
    ~I want you inside me~
    May 2005
    17,162 Posts
    400d :respek:

35. Post #475
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,250 Posts
    400d :respek:
    :respek:

36. Post #476
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,690 Posts
    ellaborate on why that's terrible... It has no moving mirror which means it's far more stable, the leaf shutter is inside the lens so you can flash sync at any speed. if having multiple lenses is such a terrible idea then how come cameras like Leicas are so popular and highly regarded?

Edited:

also have you ever seen a ground glass screen? they are AMAZING
    Just my opinion:

1. First all, you basically need double the glass compared to SLRs, which obviously costs money.
    2. The viewfinder doesn't really show what you actually will get. (Which is the whole point of SLRs)
    3. From what I've seen, though I could be wrong, if one of the lens are fucked up, you need to change both of the lens, since they're connected together (but I guess this depends on the manufacturer)
    4. Most don't have interchangeable lens, probably because you then need to change both the viewfinder lens and the actual picture lens, which is very costly.

I'm sure it has its advantages and even more disadvantages, but that's enough for me really.

37. Post #477
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,942 Posts
    Just my opinion:

1. First all, you basically need double the glass compared to SLRs, which obviously costs money.
    2. The viewfinder doesn't really show what you actually will get. (Which is the whole point of SLRs)
    3. From what I've seen, though I could be wrong, if one of the lens are fucked up, you need to change both of the lens, since they're connected together (but I guess this depends on the manufacturer)
    4. Most don't have interchangeable lens, probably because you then need to change both the viewfinder lens and the actual picture lens, which is very costly.
    1)The lenses for my particular TLR go for about $100 each, your DSLR aren't usually that cheap
    2)There's a 1 inch difference between the lenses. past 1 metre that is completely insignificant, the same as in a properly tuned rangefinder such as a Leica.
    3)It would be equally hard to break one of a TLR's lenses as it would be to break the single lens of a SLR
    4)as with 1) this does have interchangeable lenses and they go for about $100 on ebay

any other points you wish to bring up?

38. Post #478
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,690 Posts
    Last thing: choice is lens is much (much) smaller.
    Also, dude, I'm not attacking you or anything, it seems that you kinda got offended or something.. I didn't mean to offend or anything, just say my opinion..

39. Post #479
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,942 Posts
    Last thing: choice is lens is much (much) smaller.
    Also, dude, I'm not attacking you or anything, it seems that you kinda got offended or something.. I didn't mean to offend or anything, just say my opinion..
    totally agree on small lens choice, but that's true with all obscure cameras that use weird mounts.

I think I was offended when you said "To be honest, that's a terrible design idea." about my brand new toy, but I'll get over it

40. Post #480
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,690 Posts
    You got me wrong, I love old stuff, just for the single fact that they're old. They use weird technology that we no longer use, or actually use the same, just many years ago. That's why I have myself an SLR from 1984. I find it amazing what we had even back then.
    So of course, what we had in the 60s is even more amazing :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)