1. Post #1961
    I saw a 800-1200 F/10-14 for sale for about $100 so I bought it instantly cause people are selling those online for about $300.

No I have no Idea what to do with it. Its rather useless with such aperture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #1962
    October 2007
    1,170 Posts
    Go shoot wildlife and sports with it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Mexico Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #1963
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,855 Posts
    Sports might be a no, F10? D:
    Unless it's bright I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #1964
    July 2007
    639 Posts
    Damn F10. By then your viewfinder will be one dark son of a b*tch to even focus the damn thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #1965
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,945 Posts
    I really bloody hope I win this auction; I need a wide angle for Melbourne.

Edited:

also I'm flying out on the 21st :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

6. Post #1966
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    good luck man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #1967
    Dennab
    June 2010
    1,908 Posts
    I really bloody hope I win this auction; I need a wide angle for Melbourne.

Edited:

also I'm flying out on the 21st :/
    Dammit. I thought I was on Ebay and tried to click on the other images.

Good luck btw.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #1968
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,945 Posts
    I won it :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 11 (list)

9. Post #1969
    I won it :D
    Nice. Time for me to look for cool things on ebay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events

10. Post #1970
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,899 Posts
    I had a chance this weekend to rent out the Nikon D7000, half interested in it as a comparison to my 7D (and so in turn, whether it was worth me switching from the Nikon camp) and the result seems fairly clear to me: The D7000 is a damn good camera, but the 7D has far nicer ergonomics -of course, there are likely differences in tech spec that would sway the argument more for most, but I just couldn't 'get' the feel of the D7000, and to me that's just as important as megapixels or video format. I suppose if I had more than a weekend with it I'd probably get used to it, but the second I picked up the 7D when I bought it, I feel for its feel
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #1971
    March 2011
    653 Posts
    I think the Fujifilm X10 looks like a really good compact camera.

http://www.isitetv.com/72e068a12ae75...UJICM105262584

The Jessops video advert also has some videos of newcastle

But it costs a bloody fortune.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #1972
    July 2007
    639 Posts
    I think the Fujifilm X10 looks like a really good compact camera.

http://www.isitetv.com/72e068a12ae75...UJICM105262584

The Jessops video advert also has some videos of newcastle

But it costs a bloody fortune.
    And it has a tiny sensor compared to the X100.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #1973
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,244 Posts
    I had a chance this weekend to rent out the Nikon D7000, half interested in it as a comparison to my 7D (and so in turn, whether it was worth me switching from the Nikon camp) and the result seems fairly clear to me: The D7000 is a damn good camera, but the 7D has far nicer ergonomics -of course, there are likely differences in tech spec that would sway the argument more for most, but I just couldn't 'get' the feel of the D7000, and to me that's just as important as megapixels or video format. I suppose if I had more than a weekend with it I'd probably get used to it, but the second I picked up the 7D when I bought it, I feel for its feel
    That's the exact opposite as how I feel.
    I really don't give two shits about most of the specs of any dslr these days (every single one on the market arguably takes great photos).
    But, for me, I think the Nikons have far nicer ergonomics over the canon. Not everyone will agree with me (including yourself) but they fit in my hands better than Canons do. The buttons feel like they're in the correct place and the weighting and feel of the camera makes me more comfortable.
    This is extremely important for my shooting style since I try and capture fairly fast moments before they disappear.
    Before I decided on a camera model to go with, I took a long time deciding on what layouts made more sense to me. And that was Nikon at the time and still is.

Of course, these original 'feelings' for a camera can be cemented over time as you become more familiar with the layout of a model or make.
    This is absolutely fantastic, as you become more confident in where to find the desired settings on a camera to take a particular shot with the desired results.... however,
    I think it's 'potentially dangerous', as a physical or muscle memory makes its way into your conscious mind. What felt more natural before suddenly becomes an intrenched viewpoint or a stance on one particular model or make of camera.

Those comments like 'Nikon Master Race' or whatever. I know that a lot of these are said as a joke, but for every one of these comments that's said in humor, I know that one that is being serious.

I don't really know what I'm saying. I'm lying in bed, half listening to radio 4 and half typing this and had no idea how much I'd written. I hope you guys get most of the idea of what I was trying to say. If you think any of it applies to you, take it on board, if not, ignore it.
    Oh, and DaveP, it turned from a little comment on yours and into a semi-rant. It was only the first paragraph which was intended for you. Love love.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #1974
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    I just prefer the layout of a Canon. The buttons on a Nikon seem all in the wrong place and don't match me at all. Again, it's all preference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #1975
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    Yeah, the only thing that made me buy the T2i over like the D3100 is the video quality and features. The Nikon has a bigger sensor but the difference in image quality is so subtle. My friend has a D3100 so it opens up a fun little competition between our photos.

I love Nikon but at the end of the day I hold no regrets for buying the T2i.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #1976
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,212 Posts
    my camera is notorious for having bad controls (at least among DSLR users, as it is meant as a bridge camera from point and shoot to dslr) but i love the controls, i get confused when using bigger DSLR cameras with all the fancy dials and buttons. my camera has 3 buttons and a wheel for controls, and i can blaze through settings very quickly.
    i feel like you can adapt to pretty much any style if you spend time with it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

17. Post #1977
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,899 Posts
    That's the exact opposite as how I feel.
    I really don't give two shits about most of the specs of any dslr these days (every single one on the market arguably takes great photos).
    But, for me, I think the Nikons have far nicer ergonomics over the canon. Not everyone will agree with me (including yourself) but they fit in my hands better than Canons do. The buttons feel like they're in the correct place and the weighting and feel of the camera makes me more comfortable.
    This is extremely important for my shooting style since I try and capture fairly fast moments before they disappear.
    Before I decided on a camera model to go with, I took a long time deciding on what layouts made more sense to me. And that was Nikon at the time and still is.

Of course, these original 'feelings' for a camera can be cemented over time as you become more familiar with the layout of a model or make.
    This is absolutely fantastic, as you become more confident in where to find the desired settings on a camera to take a particular shot with the desired results.... however,
    I think it's 'potentially dangerous', as a physical or muscle memory makes its way into your conscious mind. What felt more natural before suddenly becomes an intrenched viewpoint or a stance on one particular model or make of camera.

Those comments like 'Nikon Master Race' or whatever. I know that a lot of these are said as a joke, but for every one of these comments that's said in humor, I know that one that is being serious.

I don't really know what I'm saying. I'm lying in bed, half listening to radio 4 and half typing this and had no idea how much I'd written. I hope you guys get most of the idea of what I was trying to say. If you think any of it applies to you, take it on board, if not, ignore it.
    Oh, and DaveP, it turned from a little comment on yours and into a semi-rant. It was only the first paragraph which was intended for you. Love love.
    I think there's no doubt we're effectively on the same wavelength -it really makes no bloody difference what it does if you don't like to use it- even if we're different ends of the spectrum; love back

18. Post #1978
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,699 Posts
    Im a canon fan, I'm not going to slate nikon because i've only used cheap DSLR's and not really enjoyed using them.

Also my neutral density filter came today with free rear lens cap! Woo!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #1979
    November 2008
    1,202 Posts
    Got a few free things today.
    First ones being a Spiratone 135mm f2.8 and a 35mm f2.8
    Seen here (I believe)

Both have what looks like some kind of a filter on them.
    the one on the 135mm reads "Spiralite Coated 55mm Haze #1"
    and the one on the 35mm reads "Spiralite Coated 49mm Haze #1"
    Also with a case that hold both.
    The next one is a Accura Supertel 200mm f3.9. THis one also has a filter thing on it that reads "Spiralite Coated 60mm Haze #1"

And lastly I got 2 'TelXtenders' One is a Spiratone 3X and the other is a Spiratone Model II

Can anyone tell me anything about these? Are any of em wort a couple of bucks? I have cases for them all. Will any fit on my Pentax ME Super?

20. Post #1980
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,212 Posts
    those look like off brand lenses for the m42 mount, which is a screw mount for pentax. so they are probably okay lenses, but they aren't takumar which is the best lens maker for that mount. haze filters are just like UV filters pretty sure.
    they won't fit on your super

21. Post #1981
    November 2008
    1,202 Posts
    So if I sold these together you think I could get at least $20?

22. Post #1982
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,212 Posts
    probably, i'd just keep them though. lenses are good decorations

23. Post #1983
    November 2008
    1,202 Posts
    probably, i'd just keep them though. lenses are good decorations
    But I have no use for them.

24. Post #1984
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,212 Posts

25. Post #1985
    October 2007
    1,170 Posts
    If they are m42 you can get a cheap adapter for at least 6 bucks. The original Pentax brand ones are rare and like 30 bucks but totally worth it son.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Mexico Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #1986
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,212 Posts
    apparently it's a T mount, which screws in like an m42 but is not the same threading.

27. Post #1987
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,972 Posts
    Thinking of picking one of these up as a sort of "permanent disposable", something fun and small I can put in my pocket and forget. I know you guys don't like Lomo so if you know anything better (apart from the Vivitar Super Wide and Slim which this camera is a clone of) for under $50 let me know :)

Edited:

I know it's lomo, don't hate
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

28. Post #1988
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,945 Posts
    Thinking of picking one of these up as a sort of "permanent disposable", something fun and small I can put in my pocket and forget. I know you guys don't like Lomo so if you know anything better (apart from the Vivitar Super Wide and Slim which this camera is a clone of) for under $50 let me know :)

Edited:

I know it's lomo, don't hate
    does nobody listen to me... the original Olympus XA is a god among cameras.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #1989
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,972 Posts
    Looks pretty good, but the batteries bit is a niggle. A wider lens with lower aperture and smaller size is still looking like a better deal for the same price. Are the batteries hard to find/costly?

30. Post #1990
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,945 Posts
    Looks pretty good, but the batteries bit is a niggle. A wider lens with lower aperture and smaller size is still looking like a better deal for the same price. Are the batteries hard to find/costly?
    they're a standard type of watch battery, just go down to your local dick smith and the have racks of them.

Edited:

got my 28mm :D seems to be really nice

31. Post #1991
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,452 Posts
    dick smiths and niggles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #1992
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,945 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #1993
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,244 Posts
    I think I can thank Dick Smith for igniting my love for the natural world. When I was about 7 my parents gave me a Dick Smith microbeast magnifying glass. I spent day after day looking at beatles, skinks, lizards and insects in magnification. It was bliss. And still is. I have it somewhere lying around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

34. Post #1994
    June 2007
    218 Posts
    Does anyone know from experience how the Nikon 18-55 VR DX stacks up against the Nikon 17-55 DX? I'm thinking about replacing my kit lens at some point soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

35. Post #1995
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,668 Posts
    I have an XA2, I have like 6 rolls needing to be developed from it.

And yes, it's much better as a pocketable film camera than that gimmicky lomo crap.

Edited:

Does anyone know from experience how the Nikon 18-55 VR DX stacks up against the Nikon 17-55 DX? I'm thinking about replacing my kit lens at some point soon.
    Not worth it.

For the same price you could get an ultra-wide, a differen't fast normal zoom and a 50/30mm 1.4.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #1996
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    tampon 17-50 f/2.8
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

37. Post #1997
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,655 Posts
    dick smiths and niggles.
    made me think of a blacksmith working a red hot sword with a hammer and anvil

then I cringed

38. Post #1998
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    951 Posts
    Ok, so I have a Canon 35-105 f/3.5-4.5 for wide angle and a Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 for telephoto. I need a wider angle lens, but I'm kind of an extreme person. If I want telephoto, I WANT TELEPHOTO. 800mm FTW. I used a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 before, and immediately fell in love with it. I really want it, but I'm afraid that it won't be practical, especially with indoor group shots (I'd be in their face). Should I get it or should I get a less wide lens, such as the Tamron 17-50?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

39. Post #1999
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts

that?

40. Post #2000
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,655 Posts

holy shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)