1. Post #1
    February 2011
    107 Posts

The world of The Witcher that you’ll traverse as Geralt can hardly be called a pleasant place. On your voyage, expect reality to hit hard through many an example of human nature’s dark side. Forgiveness is entirely lacking from the world and good cannot triumph, as all attempts at defining these have failed. The things that come easy are blood, brutality, and slaps in the face.

Gradually but consistently you’ll forge your place in the surrounding reality. Most importantly, stick to your objectives, don’t get killed and make enough coin to keep your stomach from grumbling when it’s time to rest. Just two problems – the world will surprise you at every step and yank you into new schemes, which hardly means smooth sailing for creatures like the witcher you are.

The second instalment in the RPG saga about the Witcher, Geralt of Rivia, features a thoroughly engrossing, mature storyline defining new standards for thought-provoking, non-linear game narration. In addition to an epic story, the game features an original, brutal combat system that uniquely combines tactical elements with dynamic action.

A new, modern game engine, responsible both for beautiful visuals and sophisticated game mechanics puts players in the most lively and believable world ever created in an RPG game. A captivating story, dynamic combat system, beautiful graphics, and everything else that made the original Witcher such a great game are now executed in a much more advanced and sophisticated way.

Full res: http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4564/witcher21.jpg

Full res: http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3869/witcher24.jpg

Full res: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2075/witcher23.jpg

Full res: http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1448/witcher25.jpg

Full res: http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/6707/witcher22.jpg

Full res: http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/8336/witcher26.jpg

HERO

You are a mutant, my friend, the faster you come to terms with this truth, the better it will be for you. You will quickly learn to take what is offered and disappear when your presence is no longer desired. You are without question, unique. Yet this is exactly the factor that puts you in the same precarious position as non-humans who tend to find themselves impaled or hanging from nearby trees. For it is their simple existence that triggers the resentment, animosity, and hatred from common folk – any pretext is a good pretext to show them their proper place. How is it then that Witchers, while equally non-human and different to common people, do not share the fate of these poor devils? The answer to this is twofold.
    First, there are relatively few Witchers that still walk this earth. Statistically speaking, therefore, you are far more likely to encounter an elf than a Witcher, such as yourself. And second, you possess a couple of rather forceful arguments: a solid sword and a simple set of life rules.

The blades you carry are your lifelines. It, therefore, comes as no surprise that your ability to wield them appropriately when dealing damage to your adversaries makes each and every of your challengers re-assess their life-chances twice before engaging in combat with you. However, your superior fighting abilities have not made you arrogant. You do not simply revert to force when no such reversion is needed. When there is still a possibility of conflict resolution – even using extreme measures – you do not tempt fate and wish yourself a shorter life; instead you sheath your sword. Yet make no mistake, you will be unrelenting and without remorse once the decision to engage has come. Ultimately, however, you are no saint and you do not care to save the world – you simply want to survive, whilst remaining true to your profession.

Developer(s) CD Projekt RED STUDIO
    Platform(s) Microsoft Windows
    Release Date:
    - Original
    * RU October 24, 2007
    * EU October 26, 2007
    * NA October 30, 2007

- Enhanced Edition
    * NA September 16, 2008
    * EU September 19, 2008
    * AUS October 2, 2008

- Witcher 2:
    * May 17, 2011

Official Website: Witcher | Witcher 2

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Portugal Show Events Winner x 23Friendly x 2Artistic x 1Informative x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    April 2010
    2,942 Posts
    Let's just hope it doesn't turn into a Witcher vs Dragon Age thing, every Witcher thread everywhere eventually does. D:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,452 Posts
    I don't get why there's animosity between them. Game consoles fanboyism, while still silly, is more valid since some platforms get exclusives, bonus deals, etc. But these are games. And not even multiplayer games at that. Can't they just not buy it instead of ragging on them for no reason? Shit neither of them are even out yet.

Anyways in relation to the Witcher. Although the Witcher 1 doesn't run on my computer (stupid thing only reads my integrated card rather than my 330m and says I don't reach the minimum requirements) I am interested in the Witcher 2. Looks pretty spiffy from what I can tell and these types of rpgs are usually fun. As long as they don't have the same system req. check that they had in the first one I'm probably going to pick it up.

Also their digital premium bonus is insane. Wish more companies did that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    February 2011
    274 Posts
    I will never understand the appeal to the Dragon Age series instead of the Witcher series. Dragon Age was like a mix of diamonds and shards of glass. There were some amazing voices and scenarios but a lot of areas and levels looked like something out of a 8 year old game. Witcher, was top notch in all respect but didn't get a lot of love.

Either way, looking at the screenshots of Dragon Age 2, it looks like more of the same where Witcher is crafted by a European company that puts a lot of love, detail and attention into their games.

Regardless, if you enjoyed Dragon Age, GREAT, but I would definitely recommend Witcher 2. I can't wait for a polished RPG on my PC to play.. they are so rare nowadays.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    August 2010
    2,074 Posts
    I will never understand the appeal to the Dragon Age series instead of the Witcher series. Dragon Age was like a mix of diamonds and shards of glass. There were some amazing voices and scenarios but a lot of areas and levels looked like something out of a 8 year old game. Witcher, was top notch in all respect but didn't get a lot of love.

Either way, looking at the screenshots of Dragon Age 2, it looks like more of the same where Witcher is crafted by a European company that puts a lot of love, detail and attention into their games.

Regardless, if you enjoyed Dragon Age, GREAT, but I would definitely recommend Witcher 2. I can't wait for a polished RPG on my PC to play.. they are so rare nowadays.
    You`re itching to start something aren`t you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

6. Post #6
    February 2011
    274 Posts
    No, sorry I didn't word it better but I guess I just don't understand the comparison to Dragon Age. They really are two totally different games created by completely different mindsets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,024 Posts
    I really like how there's no real completely black-and-white good or bad choices in the game. Not enough games do this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    February 2011
    274 Posts
    I agree with this 100% -- There were moments in Witcher that I just had no clue what to do. The witch in the first village? Classic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

9. Post #9
    February 2011
    107 Posts
    Everytime i see new screens of this game, it makes me sure that this is the next gen RPG. However that's my opinion, anyway here are the new full 1080p screens.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Portugal Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    I hope this one is better, I always were interested in the first Witcher. I had some real fun but after a while it gets terribly boring. I reached those swamps and after that I had no interest as I had no clue what to do. Besides that the cards from the women are so damn cheesy, it lowers the level of the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Luxembourg Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,503 Posts
    New graphics card for this game I think really looking forwards to this

12. Post #12
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,721 Posts
    I am looking forward to the second.

I hope the story-telling gets a bit better and sometimes I didn't know when a quest couldn't be solved until you did all the others, that was annoying.

But I love it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    5,791 Posts
    I just hope the 2nd doesn't take an awful lot of time to get going, I really felt like the first didn't pick up till Act 3.

14. Post #14
    February 2011
    107 Posts
    I just hope the 2nd doesn't take an awful lot of time to get going, I really felt like the first didn't pick up till Act 3.
    Unfortunately i didn't even had that chance lol, i got bored soon after that awful green dog at the start, the part i got bored was where there's a small village with church and a priest, if i remember correctly. I have a lot of games i don't finish and some i didn't even tried. I blame Steam sales. :p
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Portugal Show Events

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    11,201 Posts
    You owe it to yourself to get past that part, the quality just keeps going up as you progress. I watched all the Witcher 2 dev diaries recently, it's great how much thought and time they're putting into this. It really deserves more attention than it's getting.

16. Post #16
    October 2009
    2,320 Posts
    I wish you could be a pimp and have hookers working for you, and if somebody harasses your girls you go and beat them up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Slovakia Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    11,201 Posts
    You practically are a pimp, there's a whole quest where you save hookers in distress and get rewarded with sex

18. Post #18
    April 2010
    2,942 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    TW1 was a truly amazing game that never really get the recognition that it deserved.
    I can't wait for TW2, it looks incredible and it'll definitely help put the series on the radar for a lot of people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,970 Posts
    Most important question.

Will there be more sex cards? :pervert:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    September 2010
    238 Posts
    It'll be shit just like the boring taking forever too long learning curve original.

Plus no DRM=tons of illegal downloads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 22Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    11,201 Posts
    lol you rate yourself agree
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    June 2007
    2,289 Posts
    It'll be shit just like the boring taking forever too long learning curve original.

Plus no DRM=tons of illegal downloads.
    The original had a long learning curve?

And I doubt that it having no DRM will increase the illegal downloads, it would have been cracked in a day or two eitherway. It'll probably be the other way around, since the paying customers won't be annoyed with shitty DRM schemes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,503 Posts
    Heads up on a cheap price 22.98 http://savygamer.co.uk/2011/03/11/th...tion-pc-22-98/ does involve buying one other thing so I guess that means you are stuck with this one if it gets reduced elseware

25. Post #25
    April 2010
    2,942 Posts
    Recent update:

New Geralt Look:

March 18th CDPR Witcher 2 Stream (6 parts):

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Part 6:

Edited:

Oh, and may as well post these two, the pre-order bonus soundtrack songs:

Track 1:

Track 2:

Track 3:

Track 4:

Release is nearing Brotatos.

26. Post #26
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,976 Posts
    I still need to beat the first one. I always got lost in side quests in the city.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    i love collecting me some sex-e'mon cards

28. Post #28
    April 2010
    2,942 Posts
    I actually kind of miss the old Geralt now.

http://i.imgur.com/oRnur.jpg
    Looked fine in my opinion.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,503 Posts
    I actually kind of miss the old Geralt now.

http://i.imgur.com/oRnur.jpg
    Looked fine in my opinion.
    Pretty much agree have to see the new one ingame though

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    1,172 Posts
    Just recently picked up the North American Enhanced Edition, I seriously love this game! So far, I'm in chapter III, nearly through it, level 22, with a focus on Silver styles, Aard, Igni, Axii, and Strength and Intelligence. The combat is so fun, and the animations are just beautiful, even the running looks natural and smooth, let alone the fighting stances and such. More developers need to put time into animations for characters, I'm looking at you Bethesda.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,831 Posts
    Just recently picked up the North American Enhanced Edition, I seriously love this game! So far, I'm in chapter III, nearly through it, level 22, with a focus on Silver styles, Aard, Igni, Axii, and Strength and Intelligence. The combat is so fun, and the animations are just beautiful, even the running looks natural and smooth, let alone the fighting stances and such. More developers need to put time into animations for characters, I'm looking at you Bethesda.
    But to be fair (from what I've played, which is up to exactly where you are at late Act 3) the pacing is extremely slow, the environment design is mostly uninspired and not very atmospheric/detailed, the non story-critical NPC's all look the same, and the entire game up to that point takes place in one of the ugliest, most visually repetitive RPG cities I've played in.

The combat system could really use work too. Creatures deal damage before their animations for example, and the fact that combat consists of you simply clicking once to initiate a combo that Geralt automatically does is rather uninteresting.

But it does have really nice animations, good character design (so far), excellent use of moral choice, etc. The story is also not generic which I really appreciate (even if it is extremely slow paced at the point of the game I am at).

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    893 Posts
    It's best to play this in Polish, Its native lanauge <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    1,172 Posts
    But to be fair (from what I've played, which is up to exactly where you are at late Act 3) the pacing is extremely slow, the environment design is mostly uninspired and not very atmospheric/detailed, the non story-critical NPC's all look the same, and the entire game up to that point takes place in one of the ugliest, most visually repetitive RPG cities I've played in.

The combat system could really use work too. Creatures deal damage before their animations for example, and the fact that combat consists of you simply clicking once to initiate a combo that Geralt automatically does is rather uninteresting.

But it does have really nice animations, good character design (so far), excellent use of moral choice, etc. The story is also not generic which I really appreciate (even if it is extremely slow paced at the point of the game I am at).
    The pacing is a bit slow I will admit, but I don't find it painfully so. Also, the bit about creatures dealing damage at odd times in their animations is quite annoyingly true. I find Vizima rather nice, due to it's atmosphere instead of it's architecture for the most part.

Clicking for combat I find ok, because the combos done are pretty neat, and it starts to feel pretty cool for me, but yes, it could have been done differently for more immersion, so maybe combining the excellent animation and creative combo looks with a more skillful execution system is something to look forward to in The Witcher 2.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,831 Posts
    The pacing is a bit slow I will admit, but I don't find it painfully so. Also, the bit about creatures dealing damage at odd times in their animations is quite annoyingly true. I find Vizima rather nice, due to it's atmosphere instead of it's architecture for the most part.

Clicking for combat I find ok, because the combos done are pretty neat, and it starts to feel pretty cool for me, but yes, it could have been done differently for more immersion, so maybe combining the excellent animation and creative combo looks with a more skillful execution system is something to look forward to in The Witcher 2.
    I mean none of it was *BAD* it just put me off. I'm kind of a sucker for really awe inspiring locales so being in Vizima the whole time up to where I am puts me off enough to not want to play it, in addition to the plot not really going anywhere at the moment.

The good news is Witcher 2 looks like it keeps all the awesome from Witcher 1 and makes all the sore spots much better. Combat looks more interesting, the locales and atmosphere seem really awesome, and I have a feeling the story wont take half the game to build up to anything significant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    April 2010
    2,942 Posts
    I mean none of it was *BAD* it just put me off. I'm kind of a sucker for really awe inspiring locales so being in Vizima the whole time up to where I am puts me off enough to not want to play it, in addition to the plot not really going anywhere at the moment.

The good news is Witcher 2 looks like it keeps all the awesome from Witcher 1 and makes all the sore spots much better. Combat looks more interesting, the locales and atmosphere seem really awesome, and I have a feeling the story wont take half the game to build up to anything significant.
    Really I thought Vizima was one of the better videogame locations I've encountered, I thought it was really well realised, beautiful even, while still being realistic and not whoring cheap graphical effects.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,503 Posts
    I have to agree I found the Witchers locations if not amazing far better realised than a lot of other RPG's. I found the weakest part of the story to be Chapter 2 where I entirely forgot what the main story was in how convoluted the main quests became in achieving the end goal but it picked up significantly after that.

Really hope they have a different voice actor for Dandelion all the others were fine but I found him grating
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    1,172 Posts
    The swamp cemetery looks awesome. Can't wait till I get there, the darker themed areas really get me going.
    Oh, and this is my wallpaper for the new computer I built a week ago, been enjoying it tons, so I figured why not get a Witcher background!

http://gamebanshee.com/wallpaper/thewitcher/wallpaper17-1024x768.jpg

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    I really liked the Witcher 1, but I always hated playing the swamp level. And the 4th chapter (I think), the one where you're in the small village seemed out of place.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    11,201 Posts
    My favorite part of the Witcher is probably the incredible lore. They have little myths to explain why all of the creatures exist instead of just "Here's a giant rat, kill it"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,992 Posts
    I couldn't get into the first, I didn't even bother getting into the city because it was really boring right from the start.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)