1. Post #41
    January 2009
    251 Posts
    So you guys are saying that if I were to set up a server with RadBox, you'd flock to it like so many desperate men to a dating website? Hot damn, I think I'll give it a shot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    February 2010
    226 Posts
    So you guys are saying that if I were to set up a server with RadBox, you'd flock to it like so many desperate men to a dating website? Hot damn, I think I'll give it a shot.
    Haha I would.

Edit:

On a more serious note one thing that I like about this is that it isn't based on RP and solely based on having fun which I like because we already have a ton of post-apocalyptic RPs out there and this is a nice change of pace.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #43
    July 2009
    1,148 Posts
    We need a server!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    February 2010
    226 Posts
    We need a server!
    Amen.

5. Post #45
    October 2009
    5,815 Posts
    i agree
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Venezuela Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    Big update on the way. I've added some convars that control a bunch of stuff!

Just gonna post them in code form.

NameConVar = CreateClientConVar( "cl_radbox_player_name", "", true, true )
    CreateConVar( "sv_radbox_team_dmg", "0", { FCVAR_ARCHIVE, FCVAR_NOTIFY, FCVAR_SERVER_CAN_EXECUTE }, "Controls whether teammates can hurt eachother." )
    CreateConVar( "sv_radbox_dmg_scale", "0", { FCVAR_ARCHIVE, FCVAR_NOTIFY, FCVAR_SERVER_CAN_EXECUTE }, "Controls bullet damage scaling." )
    CreateConVar( "sv_radbox_allow_loners", "0", { FCVAR_REPLICATED, FCVAR_ARCHIVE, FCVAR_NOTIFY, FCVAR_SERVER_CAN_EXECUTE }, "Controls whether players spawn initially as a loner." )
    CreateConVar( "sv_radbox_custom_names", "0", { FCVAR_REPLICATED, FCVAR_ARCHIVE, FCVAR_NOTIFY, FCVAR_SERVER_CAN_EXECUTE }, "Controls whether players can name themselves." )

7. Post #47
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,846 Posts
    Merz, I can provide a small dev server if you want. Note, it's Linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Cool Kid
    December 2009
    1,219 Posts
    Almost looks like experiment made my conna, looks really nice, great job!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    Merz, I can provide a small dev server if you want. Note, it's Linux.
    Nice to see so many people offering me a place to test shit!

I have made a big big update.

Some shit i added:

- RP chat commands. Whisper, local OOC, OOC, and /me.
    - Added loner faction (can be enabled and disabled, search for sv_radbox in console).
    - Added RP names (can be enabled and disabled).
    - Added bullet damage scale convar for RP server admins.
    - Updated map configs.
    - Factions now have an arbitrarily picked "leader". Its purely cosmetic, your playermodel just changes.
    - Fixed possible bug where too many entities are spawned in one frame when the map loads.
    - Uhh more stuff i forget atm.

The only way i can test if my changes are more condusive to roleplay is if a community switches over to this and tries to use it. Like, take a roleplay server that runs rp_downtown or something and is usually full, then swap to this gamemode and see how well people roleplay with it. And then improve where it needs improvements.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    April 2009
    328 Posts
    This has to be the best, customizable gamemode out in the world of gmod. Like other people, I actually a bit more about lua from looking at the gamemode files.

My friend and I used to run RadBox along time ago. But radiation storms crashed the server at random. But then I also customized the gamemode, added 2 new quest's (I made a mechanical part hunting quest using the Rouges, but when the arrow pointed to them and you killed them, they didn't drop any parts :( ), added new items and a weapon system where you can purchase a customized weapon, rather than a stock one.

This gamemode can't die.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    895 Posts
    If you guys tell me a good map, I should be able to get a server running this.

What map is best for Radbox? :psyduck:

12. Post #52
    January 2010
    833 Posts
    If you guys tell me a good map, I should be able to get a server running this.

What map is best for Radbox? :psyduck:
    Gm_atomic or rp_apocalypse. Rp_apocalypse does require all the episodes though.

13. Post #53
    -snip- late

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    895 Posts
    To anyone who wants to host a server, replace your clientscripts.txt with this:
    http://pastebin.com/hU24NVxP

So far I found 3 scripts (jerk.lua, butt.lua and shitbot.lua) allowed on that ("That" being the one included in SVN. I removed them). Doubt anyone wants them allowed. Or if you want to do it yourself, search for those three lua file names with notepad++ on the SVN. If gmod doesn't even use clientscript.txt anymore, rate me dumb and move on.

Goodday. :3:

Also will probably put the server on gm_atomic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    January 2010
    833 Posts
    Seems like theres a server up!

89.145.94.194:27045

16. Post #56
    October 2009
    5,815 Posts
    server uses diferent class tables

17. Post #57
    January 2010
    833 Posts
    server uses diferent class tables
    Yeah, got that too.

18. Post #58
    November 2010
    73 Posts
    Trying to fix it up, the gamemode is insanely broken - clientside, that is.

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,261 Posts
    I remember hosting this when it was new. Was it really a year ago? It feels like much less.
    Drinking out of bottles should give empty bottles that you can combine with gas to make molotov cocktails. Adding ways to combine things will probably make this slightly more interesting, and getting harder, more rewarding quests from factions the more quests you do. Also, make it more persistent, so you won't have to start over all the time.

Adding ambient music based on what's happening a la falloutmod would also be cool. If there's a lot of shooting going on, it'll play stressy music, etc.

Another idea would be objectives that factions take over, granting that certain faction a major buff against the others. That way, there'd be a lot more fighting faction vs faction to hold these objectives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #60
    November 2010
    73 Posts
    Done some temporary fixes to the gamemode - it's in a playable state, server is up here:

21. Post #61
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,846 Posts
    Done some temporary fixes to the gamemode - it's in a playable state, server is up here:

what fixes did you make
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    January 2009
    251 Posts
    This has to be the best, customizable gamemode out in the world of gmod. Like other people, I actually a bit more about lua from looking at the gamemode files.
    No offense, but there are plenty of other customizable gamemodes out there. Like you, I prefer this one. Tiramisu, Tacoscript, DarkRp, ect. You just have to look.

23. Post #63
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,846 Posts
    DarkRP isn't customizable, it lets you add the same guns every other server uses, and the same jobs, with 1 line.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    February 2010
    226 Posts
    I'll be on as soon as my server refreshes.......

25. Post #65
    January 2009
    251 Posts
    DarkRP isn't customizable, it lets you add the same guns every other server uses, and the same jobs, with 1 line.
    No no, it's pretty customizable. You have so many server variables, and just like in Radbox, you are able to add new entities to buy and sell. You can add whatever types of jobs you want, they don't have to be the same as other servers. You don't know what you're talking about.

Also, lets not jack the thread. This is for radbox.

26. Post #66
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,846 Posts
    No no, it's pretty customizable. You have so many server variabes, and just like in Radbox, you are able to add new entities to buy and sell. You can add whatever types of jobs you want, they don't have to be the same as other servers. You don't know what you're talking about.

Also, lets not jack the thread. This is for radbox.
    I don't know what I'm talking about? lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #67

June 2010
    11 Posts
    Nice to see this back up, I had a server with radbox a few months ago I had to do some editing to make it work properly and I never fully fixed the HUD. I could supply a server if needed?

28. Post #68
    February 2009
    1,360 Posts
    Tried it out on singleplayer, and it looks pretty fun.

I like the inventory menu and such, and it seems relatively simple. Good job.

29. Post #69
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    Trying to fix it up, the gamemode is insanely broken - clientside, that is.
    Is there a problem with clientside shit? If so, it's probably because of scriptenforcer. I'll commit a fixed clientscripts.txt.

EDIT: Oh you don't need that file anymore. Interesting. Please post any bugs you find here or on the SVN page, it would be very helpful for me!

30. Post #70
    February 2010
    226 Posts
    I played on the server for a bit and it was great fun to play with other people, just a little note a fallout storm crashed the server.

31. Post #71
    November 2009
    19 Posts
    I get an error when i press the ready button on the helpmenu and i can't choose faction, it says something like this: [radioactive-sandbox\gamemode\vgui\vgui_helpmenu.lua:39] attempt to index a nil value
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    February 2009
    1,360 Posts
    Why are all these people getting errors?
    I didn't get one single error when I tried this today.

33. Post #73
    January 2009
    251 Posts
    Merz, I think Garry updated his mod so that script enforcer automatically adds clientside script manifests for servers. I'm not sure, so I would verify it.

34. Post #74
    June 2010
    218 Posts
    http://radioactive-sandbox.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
    Working SVN, the one of the front page is wrong somehow for me.

I've played it, its a lot of fun. :)

35. Post #75
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    I squashed most of the bugs with radbox. All that's left is this mysterious stack overflow caused by radiation storms.

EDIT: Oh that was easy. Fixed any possible stack overflows caused by radiation storms as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

36. Post #76
    November 2009
    19 Posts
    I still get the same error and can't choose faction, i just can fly around the map.

EDIT: works now :)

37. Post #77
    September 2010
    519 Posts
    I still get the same error and can't choose faction, i just can fly around the map.
    press f2

- Radiation annoys the CRAP outta me. I'd like to see it's effect decay over time (pun intended).
    - Those damn rouges out in the desert! one followed me into the bunker and killed me. they need to stop chasing players who 1. have not recently hurt the npc (maybe 10 sec cooldown), 2. are a certain distance from the area the npc patrols (maybe a point which the npc walks around randomly close to) and 3. are a certain distance from the npc. If obstacles could break the line of sight (both objects and terrain) that would also be great.
    - Visual indication of radiation, at least until you have a specific map with clearer indication of possible radiation areas (a pile of barrels with goo around, a broken truck, a building with some kind of visual queue). Perhaps a green haze. Nothing too obvious so that you can't fail to notice it, but something an attentive explorer could make out with some effort.
    - Please increase zombie loot frequency. I swear I killed 5 or 6 of them without finding any loot.
    - Maybe a bit less harsh on the radiation poisoning. Instead of killing off stamina right away it could start on somewhat reduced stamina regeneration, THEN no stamina.

Hope this helps. Great game mode otherwise!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #78
    October 2009
    5,815 Posts
    Whats the map link?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Venezuela Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    February 2010
    226 Posts
    press f2

- Radiation annoys the CRAP outta me. I'd like to see it's effect decay over time (pun intended).
    - Those damn rouges out in the desert! one followed me into the bunker and killed me. they need to stop chasing players who 1. have not recently hurt the npc (maybe 10 sec cooldown), 2. are a certain distance from the area the npc patrols (maybe a point which the npc walks around randomly close to) and 3. are a certain distance from the npc. If obstacles could break the line of sight (both objects and terrain) that would also be great.
    - Visual indication of radiation, at least until you have a specific map with clearer indication of possible radiation areas (a pile of barrels with goo around, a broken truck, a building with some kind of visual queue). Perhaps a green haze. Nothing too obvious so that you can't fail to notice it, but something an attentive explorer could make out with some effort.
    - Please increase zombie loot frequency. I swear I killed 5 or 6 of them without finding any loot.
    - Maybe a bit less harsh on the radiation poisoning. Instead of killing off stamina right away it could start on somewhat reduced stamina regeneration, THEN no stamina.

Hope this helps. Great game mode otherwise!
    To add to that, I think that we should be able to see spots where radiation is because it is very annoying to be walking around and all of a sudden you start getting rad poisoning and have no idea where it is coming from.

40. Post #80
    October 2009
    5,815 Posts
    i cant download the server maap
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Venezuela Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)