1. Post #4841
    FAT CAT ACCOUNTANT
    September 2010
    4,775 Posts
    DE_DUST2 is up

50.23.251.65:25565
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #4842
    Didn't realize I was on the bottom of the last page. So Reposting. Don't hurt me.

Some guy took my planet panorama here: http://cresty.tumblr.com/post/344166...p-tomorrow-but

And printed it on a poster: http://twitpic.com/45e3so

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

3. Post #4843
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    12,858 Posts
    Some guy took my planet panorama here: http://cresty.tumblr.com/post/344166...p-tomorrow-but

And printed it on a poster: http://twitpic.com/45e3so

Are you upset or happy?

4. Post #4844
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,983 Posts
    :science:
    What about quartz? Quartz is a piezoelectric mineral that is hard and brittle, and could possibly be radioactive if it contained any radioisotopes. I think there's even a red quartz variation.. let me search for it a sec..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz

Yeah, you can get "Rose Quartz", which is usually caused by iron, titanium or manganese impurities in the quartz structure. The glow could likely be caused by phosphorous impurities. The phosphorous could even explain some of the semiconductor abilities of redstone, as phosphorous is used to "dope" silicon for use in transistors.

I'm not sure why it would need to be radioactive, but unstable silicon in the structure (probably Silicon-32; it has a long half-life [approx 170yrs], and emits largely beta- radiation) could possibly cause the radioactivity. Silicon-32 even decays into phosphorous, which may explain its presence in the crystal (albeit an isotope with an extremely low half life..)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #4845
    Are you upset or happy?
    I'm happy. I think it's awesome that someone liked it enough to get it as a print.

6. Post #4846
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    17,986 Posts
    I'm happy. I think it's awesome that someone liked it enough to get it as a print.
    Did you get money for it?

Its awesome by the way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events

7. Post #4847
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,684 Posts
    Oh god, just found the best fuckin' cave ever. Don't have any pics though, i ran out of torches, so hurried the fuck out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

8. Post #4848
    December 2009
    4,971 Posts
    Y'know, i've been thinking a bit about Redstone and it's properties (thinking deeply here), and I must say it's a damn interesting concept for a mineral. It's a resilient material in it's naturally-occuring ore-form, yet at the same time it is brittle enough to drop in the form of dust after mining.

As for it's stranger attributes, it appears to be conductive, piezoelectric and potentially radioactive. The conductivity is kind of obvious, as Redstone Wires can easily carry energy currents produced by Redstone Torches, whereas the piezoelectricity, by which it generates an energy current under pressure, comes from how the Ore glows a bit when it is struck or stepped on, as well as how it responds to Pressure Plates, Stone Buttons, Levers, etc.

The last part, the potential radioactivity, can be attributed to how it glows and whatnot. Tied in with the piezoelectricity, Redstone Dust glows when pressure or a current is applied, emitting both red light and some other energy, perhaps electricity or something similar. However, when crafted into a Redstone Torch, it glows of it's own volition, and ceases to do so when a current is applied.

How does this work? Does the Redstone react in a certain way when it is crafted with Wood? Is there some sort of energy in the wood of Minecraft trees that is capable of forcing the Redstone into it's radioactive state (perhaps Minecraftian Trees are magical, like the Hist from The Elder Scrolls), or does the crafting method for Redstone Torches involve high-enough pressures to send it into the same state with a semi-permanent duration? (I always imagine the Redstone part of the Redstone Torch to be some sort of Redstone crystal) I think it is the latter, since Repeater blocks are unpowered by default, although perhaps the Stone has a relative grounding effect.

Regardless, when the Torch is supplied with a current, it is switched off, possibly due to the current having a sort of "stabilising effect" that restores order to the restless "provoked" state of the Redstone Torch. Quite an interesting mechanic if you ask me.

All in all, I find Redstone utterly fascinating, despite my inability and unwillingness to work with it outside of making Watches and Compasses (mostly Watches). And on that note, it brings me to the subject of Watches and Compasses. The Compasses I understand with ease, as the electrical nature of Redstone combined with the magnetic qualities of Iron can easily be interpreted as the Redstone magnetising a sliver of Iron to point towards your apparently-magnetic spawnpoint, which brings me to believe that one's spawnpoint is a point in time and space that is mysteriously attuned to one's body and "soul", and radiates strong magnetic fields for some inscrutable reason.

However, I don't fully understand what causes Redstone to power a Clock. Perhaps the current reacts with Gold so that the Golden ring inside the Clock slowly rotates around a Redstone Crystal in a clockwise direction, thus turning the clockface it is attached to. There, I think I solved that little mystery by myself.

I know what you're all thinking, you're thinking "What is he prattling on about this time?", "That boy's thinking too deeply into a video game...", and "...what". Maybe I am, but it's all because of this wonderous and seemingly-magical material. If it actually existed in real-life, it would be one of the most awesome materials known to man, if there aren't similar materials already, which I highly-doubt there are. Although it might be possible that a combination of strontium-90, an isotope of strontium-90 that is beta-radioactive (it radiates beta particles, high-speed high-energy electrons), and an electrically-conductive metal like gold or platinum, might yield a material with similar attributes, at least the seemingly-spontaneous generation of electrical energy, though the other attributes of Redstone would likely not apply to the Strontium-90+Gold compound, which i'd probably term "strontaurum", a portmaneau of strontium and aurum, the Latin word for gold. Either that or Redstone in honour of Minecraft Redstone, but only if it's got a reddish colour.

Someone in the realms of science should attempt to smelt gold and strontium-90, just to see the resulting material. Who knows, might turn out to be pretty valuable, even if it's not Redstone. Apparently strontium-90's a by-product of nuclear fission, so nuclear power-plants could potentially be "goldmines" for strontium-90, if there's enough present in nuclear waste. Come to think of it, there's quite a bit of strontium-90 in the area affected by the Chernobyl Incident. Perhaps in the STALKER setting, throwing gold into an anomaly like a Vortex, Whirligig, Springboard, etc, would yield something like "strontaurum" or Redstone, although now this is just speculation, so i'll end that little bit.

Theoretical smithings and strontium-90 aside, Redstone is so mysterious and amazing, and it's made me think deeply about it. If the real-world had anything with Redstone's properties, it'd be pretty damn revolutionary. But what i'm wondering is how it forms in Minecraft. Is it simply a fusion of gold and other heavy elements deep underground, or is it something more "magical", like the spilt blood of eldritch abominations that once roamed Minecraftia but were eventually wiped out by ancient Pigman tribes? I guess we won't know for a long time, unless Mojang decides to actually add some sort of lore to Minecraft.

To sum up, pseudoscience of Redstone, attempted rationalisation of it's strange properties, speculation of what it could be, a waste of 2 hours on my part, but only a few minutes on yours, moreso if you actually read it all.
    ...What have you been smoking?

Cause i want to smoke it too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #4849
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,684 Posts
    Also, skeleton archers scare the living crap out of me (in caves, that is)

Edited:

Ninja'd :ninja:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

10. Post #4850
    Did you get money for it?

Its awesome by the way.
    Only money I get is from an ad I run on my blog. Which has made me about 90 cents so far :smug: I don't mind. Someone likes the stuff I made enough to order a print.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #4851
    Diamond Member
    January 2009
    8,096 Posts
    If these world sold as posters, I'd buy them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #4852
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    4,748 Posts
    Wow the jurassic is a pain in the ass.

As far as I know there are no pigs in the jurassic, so no getting food, and the land is ALWAYS hostile.

I've only died once so far, but that's set me back all the diamond I found earlier in order to return.

13. Post #4853
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,359 Posts
    coolity ragequitted after i killed him too much lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events

14. Post #4854
    If these world sold as posters, I'd buy them.
    Really......

Hmmmmm....

15. Post #4855
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    17,986 Posts
    We would not survive without that information, really!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #4856
    Diamond Member
    January 2009
    8,096 Posts
    Really......

Hmmmmm....
    ~assuming I could afford them~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #4857
    FAT CAT ACCOUNTANT
    September 2010
    4,775 Posts
    lol

Edited:

We would not survive without that information, really!
    i had cancer until inacio told me of his news

he is a life saver
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #4858
    If I did do that, I'd try to make them really reasonable. I might only take a dollar or two off the top. I don't know how expensive decently-sized posters are.

I don't even know how to go about setting up a store for something like that.

19. Post #4859
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,044 Posts
    Inacio did you ban me? :saddowns: I didn't even have TNT. I'm not even OP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

20. Post #4860
    Diamond Member
    January 2009
    8,096 Posts
    If I did do that, I'd try to make them really reasonable. I might only take a dollar or two off the top. I don't know how expensive decently-sized posters are.

I don't even know how to go about setting up a store for something like that.
    Probably a lot more than people want to spend. Like those shirts notch tried to sell.

21. Post #4861
    So i joined Esteam's and then a skeleton popped out and it was swarming with creepers and there were huge tnt holes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Argentina Show Events

22. Post #4862
    FAT CAT ACCOUNTANT
    September 2010
    4,775 Posts
    So i joined Esteam's and then a skeleton popped out and it was swarming with creepers and there were huge tnt holes.
    Someone tell me how to disable mobs.

23. Post #4863
    February 2011
    17,359 Posts
    what

i didnt

24. Post #4864
    Probably a lot more than people want to spend. Like those shirts notch tried to sell.
    I think the store or notch was trying to make a big profit. They were boring designs, and cost like 25 bucks seriously?

I get half my shirts from shirt.woot.com. 10 bucks and damn good quality shirts, regardless of the awesome artwork I get with it. I have like 15 woot shirts so far and wear them all the time.

25. Post #4865
    Peaceful?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Argentina Show Events

26. Post #4866
    FAT CAT ACCOUNTANT
    September 2010
    4,775 Posts
    You aren't banned according to my files

Edited:

Peaceful?
    How do I go about doing that

27. Post #4867
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,044 Posts
    Something kicked me off the server and I couldn't log-in again.
    And you said something like "you're out" or something. Could have been me being tired though.

28. Post #4868
    March 2010
    4,044 Posts
    Minecraft.net is down, maybe that was it.

29. Post #4869
    Bitch please, i am FABULOUS
    July 2008
    1,367 Posts
    In the server properties files it says spawnmonsters=true

Change true to false.

30. Post #4870
    July 2008
    1,367 Posts
    -Double post-

31. Post #4871
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,478 Posts
    What bukkit plugins should I install on my server?

32. Post #4872
    March 2010
    4,044 Posts
    General Commands

33. Post #4873
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    17,986 Posts
    Is the difficulty level still like
    Easy = little mobs, little strength
    Normal = many mobs, medium strength
    Hard = Less mobs, fucking boss strength
    ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events

34. Post #4874
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #4875
    FAT CAT ACCOUNTANT
    September 2010
    4,775 Posts
    ~monsters=false~

fuck yeeeeah

DE_DUST2 Online

36. Post #4876
    July 2008
    1,367 Posts
    What bukkit plugins should I install on my server?
    Essentials and Craftbukkit imo.

Though somehow it conflicts on my server.

37. Post #4877
    February 2011
    17,359 Posts
    ~monsters=false~

fuck yeeeeah

DE_DUST2 Online

join this its awesome

38. Post #4878
    March 2010
    4,044 Posts
    join this its awesome
    I totally did not fuck up the map with TNT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #4879
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,529 Posts
    I totally did not fuck up the map with TNT.
    Goddammit. You're not funny or witty, just an asshole.

edit:
    From what I saw of what was LEFT of the map, it was pretty cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

40. Post #4880
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,602 Posts
    Just got this game, started a Peaceful world just to practice mining and crafting. Hit a motherfucking HUGE cavern complex while digging at my first outpost. If it weren't peaceful I'd probably have been killed by a creeper dozens of times by now, but even with all the time that would be otherwise spent dying freed up, I don't think I'm anywhere near finished exploring and lighting up this complex. But I have a lot of iron ore and coal, so no worries there!