1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    108 Posts
    As of late I have been noticing attacks on GMod server communitys on the rise. In particular the attacks seem to be pointed at communitys that host TTT servers or servers that are popular.

Our server set was attacked on the 19th and the DC that hosts our setup was experiencing 100mbit inbound on 2 of their 4 Teir 1 connections.

The attack was aimed at our TTT server. After talking to a few other communitys, DC Sysops and people in the know (both Australian and overseas) are all in agreement that as of late, DDos attacks are on the rise and too easy for people with a grudge to upset the apple cart.

Can anyone concur with this or at least offer some points of discussion?

Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree x 24Friendly x 3Informative x 1Dumb x 1Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,597 Posts
    It's the rise of War of the Servers II.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree x 36Funny x 6Winner x 3Dumb x 2Late x 1Zing x 1Disagree x 1Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    November 2009
    488 Posts
    On this DarkRP server I play on they were getting DDoSed for like a week straight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    August 2010
    2,168 Posts
    Some people just don't know how to handle good competition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 18Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    899 Posts
    Some people just don't know how to handle good competition.
    I WAS GONNA SAY THAT YOU PRICK. *Attacks*

Seriously though, DDoS attacks are a childish way of trying to get what you want. On most servers they'll work like a charm because the owners are little kids with no concept of security or defense. Some servers, the owners simply don't know enough or have enough resources to defend against such an attack.

However, there are a few servers that are out of the way and out of the limelight. They're small, friendly RP or build servers that don't harm anyone. Be warned, that when you attack such a server for your mingepod being banned, they will retaliate with the force of Poseidon himself. For these small servers, is were our humble heroes live. So next time that you're thinking of loading up LOIC for some LULZ EPIC HAX0RZING, be ready for the consequences.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner x 31Agree x 6Funny x 2Artistic x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    11,271 Posts
    I remember hearing a rumor that a guy on a Spacebuild server deals with ddosers by basically waiting on them to make their demands and uses an ent he made which basically deletes players models/contraptions, and then uses a known exploit to basically crash their gmod. If thats not enough the guy usually also finds it fun to remote access their computer, and run trojans on them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 22Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    I remember hearing a rumor that a guy on a Spacebuild server deals with ddosers by basically waiting on them to make their demands and uses an ent he made which basically deletes players models/contraptions, and then uses a known exploit to basically crash their gmod. If thats not enough the guy usually also finds it fun to remote access their computer, and run trojans on them.

First with this rummor I dude if you know what is DDoS exactly.

Second It's probably DoS not DDoS (this last is a DoS attack with hundreds of attackers)

Third im the owner of a Spanish community and another guy from other comunnity DoSes our server.

AFAIK teh bast you can do is analyse traffic from your server (if its a dedicaded server it is realy easy, unless, ask the enterprise that rents you the server) and DoS him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    11,271 Posts
    I never said it's a true story did I? I stated it was a rumor I heard while basically doing undercover admin work on SGC with some other admins.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

9. Post #9
    ─ ─ ─ ─ ─▀ ▀ ▀ ▌ ─ ─ ─ ▄ ▄ █ █ ▌ █ ░ ♥ ░ HONK HONK- ITS A TRUCK ░░ ♥ ░░ ░ ░ ▐ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▌ ▐ █ █ ▌ █ ░ ♥ ░ FULL OF DICKS ░░░ ░ ♥
    December 2010
    1,082 Posts
    It's the rise of War of the Servers II.
    Oh god, the minges have found a new, powerful weapon...DDoS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb x 10Funny x 6Agree x 3Disagree x 1Late x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    November 2009
    201 Posts
    it's the rise of war of the servers ii.
    war of the servers 2? Oh shi....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    Cool Kid
    December 2009
    1,194 Posts
    Only one community I know of is being ddos'd and that's VM (Vent mob)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    July 2009
    1,201 Posts
    Its actually just a DoS attack. DDoS is multiple.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

13. Post #13
    January 2009
    251 Posts
    I WAS GONNA SAY THAT YOU PRICK. *Attacks*

Seriously though, DDoS attacks are a childish way of trying to get what you want. On most servers...

On a more serious note, I agree with OP. Maybe it's an organized attack?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    It's not an organized attack, DDoS always happens.

As long as there is a steady supply of white trash 13 year olds with mediocre computers that can run Source engine games, there will always be DDoS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

15. Post #15
    January 2009
    251 Posts
    I agree, but this isn't just your run of the mill minge DoS'ing servers, it's multiple runs at several popular servers.

16. Post #16
    January 2011
    105 Posts
    It doesn't take to much to get a decent botnet to take down a regular server..

Edited:

in other words, any mad danish 13 y/o will and probably can do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    July 2010
    1,757 Posts
    Nobody cares. It's just a bunch of twelve year old children fighting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 6 (list)

18. Post #18
    February 2011
    54 Posts
    Suprised roflwaffle hasnt posted yet.
    And btw, dont complain, ddos always happens to any community, good or bad. Dont feel like youre singled out. Yet to see one gmod community not ddos'd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Dennab
    October 2010
    36 Posts
    yes I agree with the icannt guy. I was co-hosting ausbuild RP (also in Australia) which was higher rank then your TTT server but you became 4th and so we lost a spot. But any-ways our server was also under many DDoS attacks. There needs to be a better way to stop the DDoS attacks. Now also people can get faster uploads in homes kids can now cap there upload in one day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    899 Posts
    DDoS attacks will stop whenever governments decide to create international laws around it. DDoSing IS highly illegal, but with the amount in the lawbooks on the act, we don't have enough authority to take it down.

It's either we give up some of our privacy on the Web and be free of attacks (or at least lessen them extremely), or we keep that privacy and deal with the rise of every 7 year old able to take down game servers and shitty websites.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,147 Posts
    DDoS attacks will stop whenever governments decide to create international laws around it. DDoSing IS highly illegal, but with the amount in the lawbooks on the act, we don't have enough authority to take it down.

It's either we give up some of our privacy on the Web and be free of attacks (or at least lessen them extremely), or we keep that privacy and deal with the rise of every 7 year old able to take down game servers and shitty websites.
    Negatory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    July 2009
    6,138 Posts
    Some little kid decided to DoS my server after we banned him. Shame his internet slowed down a little until he stopped attacking.

Edited:

And all that fun stuff happened while I was away for a university interview. Damn shame, would have been fun to mess with him.

Edited:

Suprised roflwaffle hasnt posted yet.
    And btw, dont complain, ddos always happens to any community, good or bad. Dont feel like youre singled out. Yet to see one gmod community not ddos'd.
    My community (stonedpotatoes) has only ever been hit by DoS attacks. They've been getting larger and larger, but our box still generally copes.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,092 Posts
    Only one community I know of is being ddos'd and that's VM (Vent mob)
    It isn't anymore, the website is just down and Lexi stole the gameserver.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    December 2009
    897 Posts
    wonder why they didn't dos facepunch community
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    It isn't unheard of, but they barely have any effect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    I can buy a title to replace to the one someone bought me
    December 2007
    4,068 Posts
    I suppose you weren't around when Facepunch got DDoS'ed by some dudes posing as jews?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    February 2009
    145 Posts
    OC just got shut down, permanantly. Someone who I will keep classified set an attack on us designed to last for a week (confirmed by the attacker) causing over $2700 loss to the server (which the Owner of OC also owns) which is also a run business. It was so bad that suing has been called up.

This makes me think, are people so immature and lazy that they cause damage over the internet? Really like what is this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    We Are No Idiots
    March 2010
    4,641 Posts
    Just think this all could be prevented by going with hosts who have the software to prevent this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Cool Kid
    December 2009
    1,194 Posts
    Snip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

30. Post #30
    Some guy.
    December 2006
    400 Posts
    Just think this all could be prevented by going with hosts who have the software to prevent this.
    Yes, cause software stops DrDOS attacks bigger than 120mbit.

If you haven't noticed, that was sarcasm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Belgium Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,447 Posts

I use software which can handle attacks bigger than 120mbit.

If you haven't noticed, lines bigger than 100mbps exist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Zing Zing x 9Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,410 Posts
    Eh, I dunno. Not like I've actually encountered a DDOS yet. Probably just a bunch of scriptkiddies who think they're cool.

Also, that Zing was a misclick.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    899 Posts
    There is special hardware you can buy and install in order to dissipate DDoS attacks up to even 1GB/s or more (depending on the server, your budget, and your box connection).

100% of DDoS attacks on game servers are performed by skiddies. If you see anyone even thinking of DDoSing (DoSing, really) a game server, they're a skiddie. People who actually know their shit and contribute to the hacking community would never even think of wasting their time on such stupid things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

34. Post #34
    November 2008
    1,538 Posts
    There is special hardware you can buy and install in order to dissipate DDoS attacks up to even 1GB/s or more (depending on the server, your budget, and your box connection).

100% of DDoS attacks on game servers are performed by skiddies. If you see anyone even thinking of DDoSing (DoSing, really) a game server, they're a skiddie. People who actually know their shit and contribute to the hacking community would never even think of wasting their time on such stupid things.
    DoSing isnt a great attack against servers. I don't think anyone has that amount of bandwith to actually do something to the server instead of just lagging their own connections.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    We Are No Idiots
    March 2010
    4,641 Posts

Matter of fact most software can stop DrDos. I can't recall which ones don't right now. But the point of the software is to prevent, limit, and stop the attack no matter what form it is.

DoSing isnt a great attack against servers. I don't think anyone has that amount of bandwith to actually do something to the server instead of just lagging their own connections.
    Try being hooked directly to 100 mb/s line that is connect to 4 major carries(Cogent, Level 3, Cisco, Global Crossing).

Edited:

OC just got shut down, permanantly. Someone who I will keep classified set an attack on us designed to last for a week (confirmed by the attacker) causing over $2700 loss to the server (which the Owner of OC also owns) which is also a run business. It was so bad that suing has been called up.

This makes me think, are people so immature and lazy that they cause damage over the internet? Really like what is this.
    Rated Optimistic.

Most hosts (colocate/{un/}manged) that I have reviewed, only bill for all outgoing bandwidth. Billing for both or incoming would cost the customer more in some if not all occasions.

36. Post #36

June 2010
    501 Posts
    It's stupid it really is, My GModJail server was dos'ed continually until all of my traffic disappeared, the best bit is when the idiot stopped, all my players came back.

There needs to be an effective way to stop dos'ing soon, It really is on the rise and not just through GMod Servers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    We Are No Idiots
    March 2010
    4,641 Posts
    Example of a host that I reviewed and their ToS and had both.

Miscellaneous Terms

Bandwidth and Disk Usage. Customer agrees that bandwidth and disk usage shall not exceed the number of megabytes per month for the Products and Services ordered by Customer on the Order Form (the “Agreed Usage”). Hivelocity will monitor Customer’s bandwidth and disk usage. Hivelocity shall have the right to take corrective action if Customer’s bandwidth or disk usage exceeds the Agreed Usage. Such corrective action may include the assessment of additional charges, disconnection or discontinuance of any and all Products and Services, or termination of these Terms of Service, which actions may be taken by Hivelocity in its sole and absolute discretion. If Hivelocity takes any corrective action under these Terms of Service, Customer shall not be entitled to a refund of any fees paid in advance prior to such action. Bandwidth usage is measured on a calendar month basis. Both incoming and outgoing traffic is counted and applied towards the Agreed Usage. In the event that Customer exceeds the Agreed Usage, Hivelocity may, at its sole discretion, collect a deposit, in the amount of $0.40 per GB from Customer, or to the extent that Customer has a credit card on file with Hivelocity, apply such charge against Customer’s credit card. Data transfer in excess of the Agreed Usage shall be automatically billed to Customer. Unused Agreed Usage or bandwidth allocations cannot be carried over to future months or applied to other servers.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,447 Posts
    It's stupid it really is, My GModJail server was dos'ed continually until all of my traffic disappeared, the best bit is when the idiot stopped, all my players came back.

There needs to be an effective way to stop dos'ing soon, It really is on the rise and not just through GMod Servers.
    Linux and iptables.

The only thing which is on the rise is incompetent people hosting gameservers and renting dedicated severs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Zing Zing x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    November 2009
    201 Posts
    the damn brohoster server is ALWAYS, and i mean ALWAYS, getting ddos'd. Gets annoying when you get booted in the middle of your T round on TTT...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    December 2010
    243 Posts
    some guy dosed me then make people have high ping ... ahggggggggcan someone link me to a high ping kicker mod for gmod plz
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)