1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,754 Posts
    Hey there. If you are like me you probably agree that four wheels are two too much.
    So, since with the motorbike season coming and every biker anxiously checking
    the thermometer every day, I thought we should have a thread.
    Do you ride a faggotry japanese plastic heap or a laid-back lowrider. Are you a
    classical chopper rider or are you english and have a cafe racer? Whatever it is,
    tell us about it and show off your bike.

Here's me and my Yamaha SR-500

I love that bike. It is a thumper and that's what it does. Make a hell of a lot noise and
    rattles till bits come off. It is really a raw piece of machinery and takes some skill to get
    to run. It misfires a lot and god help anyone who drives behind me and gets his eardrums
    busted by the bang.

Your turn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Winner x 29Funny x 8Friendly x 3Optimistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    March 2008
    217 Posts
    When I get my drivers license I think I'll spend some extra time/money on getting a motorcycle endorsement. As of right now though I know next to nothing about motorcycles, but based wholly on looks, that's the type of bike I'd love to ride.

Edited:

any advice for when I start learning?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

3. Post #3
    Ask Me About My VW Beetle Fetish
    March 2008
    9,895 Posts
    I do want a motorbike some time but not before a couple of years.

Dad had an mc and he loved to ride it until his body couldn't take it anymore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

4. Post #4
    March 2010
    151 Posts
    I own a moped.

This is what it used to look like.
    http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2227/pict1757da6.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 11Winner Winner x 10Artistic Artistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    July 2009
    5,697 Posts
    Oh man, I fucking love motorcycles.

Last sport bike I owned was a Honda CBR600RR back in 2009, I sold it because I barely rode it.

Now I'm thinking of buying a Yamaha YZF-R1.

Yes or no
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    355 Posts
    My bike (the blue/white one).

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/pFzA3.jpg[/IMG]
    Currently wanting a Ducati Streetfighter but still waiting for the price on the used one to go down a bit.

Oh man, I fucking love motorcycles.

Last sport bike I owned was a Honda CBR600RR back in 2009, I sold it because I barely rode it.

Now I'm thinking of buying a Yamaha YZF-R1.

Yes or no
    Yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    250 Posts
    I own an '83 KZ 550 but the previous owner chopped it a bit. Got it for $285 . Can't wait for riding season again.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii185/Ratboy18/1024001528.jpg
    Yay for my driveway being covered in shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,222 Posts
    I wish I had the money to get my license. In 12 months hopefully.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #9
    October 2009
    5,064 Posts
    my bros friend had one. it was a (going to ask what it was)

his friend got rid of it because it was scarily fast and you had to lean forward if you launched too hard on the throttle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,754 Posts
    When I get my drivers license I think I'll spend some extra time/money on getting a motorcycle endorsement. As of right now though I know next to nothing about motorcycles, but based wholly on looks, that's the type of bike I'd love to ride.

Edited:

any advice for when I start learning?
    I got my license over the summer break. But its not like I had never touched a bike before. I used to do motocross but I sold my Honda CR for a street license and bike. But even I managed to crash the driving schools machine (I blame it on the fact that it was a BMW plastic chunk that looked like a piece of modern art) so I guess you just have to find your kind of bike. I personally have found mine. Those super fast aerodynamic rice-boilers are nothing for me, they might be fast but that is all there is to it. I want my bike to have a life of its own, I want to feel it rattle, I want to hear it roar and I want to know that I sit on a piece of man made machinery rather than on some computer designed, optimized cruise missile

Here's what I mean
    When I visit my friends there is no need to use the doorbell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,404 Posts
    I love the bike, shame I couldn't hear it :colbert:

Hey man, give some love to bmw
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Had a '71 Kawasaki F7, sold it really cheap because it needed work and I wanted to get another car. It was a choice: Bike or Civic? I chose the Civic, because I've yet to get my "M" designation on my license, and it was my first ridable bike.

If I got another, I'd like to get a streetfighter bike or a Katana or GS and then turn it into a streetfighter. Not much for crotch rocket fairings, and I can't see myself riding a chopper. And sportbikes are way too heavy, I'm a small dude. I don't want a bike that is too much heavier than me, I only weigh 115 and a 500 lb bike falling over on me could do a lot of damage. :(

13. Post #13
    Diamond Member
    January 2009
    8,122 Posts
    I thought this was a bicycle thread from the mainpage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,827 Posts
    power rangers unite
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #15
    Volkswagen and Cigar Aficionado
    October 2006
    2,849 Posts
    I, too am a thumper man. Easy and fun to work on. Especially if you're a ratbiker.

Edited:

2006 Suzuki S40, AKA, the Savage.

Edited:

More current, shittier picture.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 18Dumb Dumb x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,754 Posts
    That is one fine bit of machinery. I wish helmet regulations would allow me to wear my german steel helmet, but cops would just come after you unless you are in one of the local mcc's. So I just use a visorless jet helmet and one of those WW1 pilot goggles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,115 Posts
    My friend owns a triumph trophy 500, his dad has quite the collection and gave him this one, he can ride it on his restricted licence aswell. Its pretty beat up but he re sprayed it and polished it, got it running nicely. I'll try to get a picture of it sometime.

I'm currently in the process of buying a GSXR 250, quite rare but I found one pretty cheap with only 30k kms on it. Its pretty good looking for a bike that's almost 25 years old. I love the fact the older 250cc bikes are 4 cylinders, compared to the new 250cc bikes, some are single cylinder and sound awful compared to the 4 cylinders that can do 18k rpm.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    i go trail riding sometimes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    October 2006
    2,849 Posts
    That is one fine bit of machinery. I wish helmet regulations would allow me to wear my german steel helmet, but cops would just come after you unless you are in one of the local mcc's. So I just use a visorless jet helmet and one of those WW1 pilot goggles
    It's a regulation DOT approved helmet, actually.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    779 Posts
    I'm fairly new to motorbikes at the moment, I still don't have my bike class license yet. Almost there though.

I've got myself a 91 model TT250. The previous owner had it for 11 years and mainly used it for trail riding when I got it off him. It's been used and abused (ridden into trees, dragged along side a vehicle, etc.) but the engine was looked after.

Here it is the night I got it

Here's the gist of what I did to it

And here it is back together again

I need to get some photos off my mate of our trip to a farm where I actually got to take it for a decent ride (my second time riding it, first time riding offroad).

I've got lots of photos of what I've done which, so far, includes:
    [list][*]Wash the dirt off[*]Replace all the electrical connections[*]Replace indicator, dash and head light globes[*]Replace indicator flasher relay[*]Repair wiring from the magneto[*]Repair wiring on a couple of the indicators[*]Properly solder twist'n'tape'd joins[*]Tidy up and re-wrap the wiring loom[*]Replace speedo cable[*]Replace front brake piston seals[*]Replace battery[*]Repair plastics[*]Strip and paint the entire exhaust[*]Replace many bolts with stainless steel ones[*]Replace woodruff key (sits in the crankshaft and makes the magneto/flywheel spin with it)[*]Re-fit barkbusters that I got from the previous owner[*]Move the front indicators forward so the barkbusters could be fitted[*]Clean handlebar switch units[/list]
    I still need to:
    [list][*]Replace front brake master cylinder[*]Replace rear shock bump stop[*]Fix high engine idle speed[*]Work out why the hell the bike won't start if leaning to the left[/list]
    The high idle and the starting problem has me a bit stumped. This is my first time working with carbys which doesn't help, but from what I've read, the carby Yamaha used with this engine (Same as TT350, XT250/350 and SR250) is a bitch to get running nicely). The bike doesn't start if it's lent to the left which is a bit unfortunate because that's the side the side stand is on and it's a kick-start only bike.

As for the high idle, when you get it started (which isn't hard when it's vertical) and take off the choke it'll idle nicely, but after a while of running it'll rise and stay there. Put the choke on and it'll die down enough to actually be able to hear someone.

I do plan on getting some kind of road bike(s) later on after I've got my full license (>250cc), but I don't know what exactly yet, so I'll just stick to getting this one running well, getting my license and just enjoying riding
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,303 Posts
    Biking season? Are you scared or something? I ride my moped and light MC every day of the year! Only exception when I don't ride is when it's snowing.

I'm currently looking in to getting my heavy restricted drivers license, I think i'll get a triumph racer or bobber.

OP. that's a sweet clean bike man!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    October 2006
    2,849 Posts
    Here's what I'm doing to the Savage this weekend...

-New rubber!
    -Chopping off the rear fender
    -Remounting the license plate, brake light, and turn signals
    -Tinker around with a new, artsy exhaust system.
    -New paint

If any of you guys are interested, I could post up some pictures of my progress as I go.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    Biking season? Are you scared or something? I ride my moped and light MC every day of the year! Only exception when I don't ride is when it's snowing.
    i wouldnt advise riding on ice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    250 Posts
    I would be, but where I live its really wet right now and then turns to ice at night so I rather not ride on ice.

25. Post #25
    October 2006
    2,849 Posts
    i wouldnt advise riding on ice
    Real men make their own tire chains.
    http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/tirechains.htm

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,754 Posts
    Biking season? Are you scared or something?

OP. that's a sweet clean bike man!
    Thanks, I had just cleaned it the day before taking the picture.
    The reason why I don't ride yet is because of the aluminum engine chassis and frame parts. They don't mix well with
    the ridiculous amounts of road salt they used this winter wich still forms a white layer on the asphalt. This shit would corrode the fuck out of my bike unless I clean it after each and every ride. Gonna wait for a few rainy day to wash that stuff away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    November 2007
    764 Posts
    My little baby. She's only a 250 but still very fun and extremely good on cornering.

How many other people named their bikes? Mines name is calypso.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    December 2009
    6,575 Posts
    I wanna ride a bike.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    October 2006
    2,849 Posts
    My little baby. She's only a 250 but still very fun and extremely good on cornering.

How many other people named their bikes? Mines name is calypso.
    Small cc sport bikes are fun on a bun.

Edited:

Also, my bike is named Courier.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,027 Posts
    I've got my intermediate level bike license, and I've been meaning to get a bike, but I have no job, and not enough cash saved up for insurance after purchasing a bike, so I haven't gotten around to buying one.

I'm not likely to get a bike from after 2000 as my first one, though, due to costs of the bike, and due to insurance costs I'm also not likely to get anything above 400CC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

31. Post #31
    November 2007
    764 Posts
    I've got my intermediate level bike license, and I've been meaning to get a bike, but I have no job, and not enough cash saved up for insurance after purchasing a bike, so I haven't gotten around to buying one.

I'm not likely to get a bike from after 2000 as my first one, though, due to costs of the bike, and due to insurance costs I'm also not likely to get anything above 400CC.
    Get a Ninja 250, Mine is an 07 and I got it with under 3000 miles for 1,200. Insurance is like 18 a month too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,404 Posts
    Here's what I'm doing to the Savage this weekend...

-New rubber!
    -Chopping off the rear fender
    -Remounting the license plate, brake light, and turn signals
    -Tinker around with a new, artsy exhaust system.
    -New paint

If any of you guys are interested, I could post up some pictures of my progress as I go.
    Yes please

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,590 Posts
    I'll be posting pictures of my little Honda Rebel in a while, or tomorrow. She might be small, but it's still my first, beloved piece of metal. :3:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Italy Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,320 Posts
    I haven't ever driven a bike, but I really want to get into it. I'm more of a sport guy than a chopper, so I was looking at the Honda CBR 250R. Yes, no?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    I've never ridden, and I've always considered me a man loyal to four wheels, but recently I've really wanted to try. An experience today solidified this:

Gridlock on a highway, lasted for at least an hour or driving at 5km/h. Watched many bikes just zip in between. Also would be much cheaper for a broke uni student like myself! :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,590 Posts
    Gridlock on a highway, lasted for at least an hour or driving at 5km/h. Watched many bikes just zip in between. Also would be much cheaper for a broke uni student like myself! :buddy:
    Trust me, leaving traffing jams behind you with a trollface under your helmet is possibly the best feeling you can ever get while driving in a city.

For the money part, well... Bikes usually drink less gas, pay less insurance, and cost less than a car. But having both a car and a bike can be a bit of a challenge for your money, it's a choice you have to make: keep your car, spend a bit more of it and be more protected (crashes, weather etc.) and more comfy, or sell the car, get a bike gaining freedom but losing your comfort?

Motorcycling is a bitch in winter... :sigh:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Italy Show Events

37. Post #37
    November 2007
    764 Posts
    Not really... I mean if you wear the proper clothing its just like riding during summer. I have a Joe Rocket jacket with removable insulator that I wear and I wear a longsleeve shirt and sweater, or light jacket underneath and I'll actually have to open the vents to cool off while riding. I ride all the time in the winter and have ridden even when the temperature drops down below 15F

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    Trust me, leaving traffing jams behind you with a trollface under your helmet is possibly the best feeling you can ever get while driving in a city.

For the money part, well... Bikes usually drink less gas, pay less insurance, and cost less than a car. But having both a car and a bike can be a bit of a challenge for your money, it's a choice you have to make: keep your car, spend a bit more of it and be more protected (crashes, weather etc.) and more comfy, or sell the car, get a bike gaining freedom but losing your comfort?

See, I'd definitely need to have both because I frequently have to carry stuff or people in my car. A bike would just be great for going to uni and back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,033 Posts
    Not really... I mean if you wear the proper clothing its just like riding during summer. I have a Joe Rocket jacket with removable insulator that I wear and I wear a longsleeve shirt and sweater, or light jacket underneath and I'll actually have to open the vents to cool off while riding. I ride all the time in the winter and have ridden even when the temperature drops down below 15F
    How easy is it with an inch of slush and snow on the roads and ice everywhere?

40. Post #40
    November 2007
    764 Posts
    How easy is it with an inch of slush and snow on the roads and ice everywhere?
    Obviously you wouldn't drive in snow or on ice. On days where the ground conditions permit is what I was referring to.