1. Post #521
    March 2011
    140 Posts
    This will be the bike for a moped race in my region:

It looked like this when I bought it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #522
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    Looks a bit like a peugeot, with the open frame and all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

3. Post #523
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,415 Posts
    All old mopeds look like that

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #524
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    All old mopeds look like that

Disagree:
    I'm gonna repost my '71 kreidler, hold on a bit.

Edited:

There, you see -> no open frame
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

5. Post #525
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,415 Posts
    Ugh, i didn't mean it literally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #526
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    Ugh, i didn't mean it literally.
    Yes you did
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #527
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,415 Posts
    Yes you did
    No i didn't :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

8. Post #528
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,919 Posts
    My Steam friend in the UK just bought a Honda CG.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...m=250881241160

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #529
    HEY GUYS DID I MENTION I'M IN THE ARMY
    March 2006
    3,244 Posts
    I do not mean to sound elitist, but it seems like we have it much better here in the United States in terms of motorcycle licensing. One license, you can ride anything with two wheels.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #530
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    I do not mean to sound elitist, but it seems like we have it much better here in the United States in terms of motorcycle licensing. One license, you can ride anything with two wheels.
    How much is a license there?

11. Post #531

July 2009
    255 Posts
    Ayup. Here in Finland we have four licenses:

Moped license (M) that allows you to drive "motorcycles" that are 50cc and their speed is limited to 45km/h. Nowadays this costs around 400 euros. You have to be 15 years old to get this.

Light motorcycle license (A1) that allows you to drive motorcycles that are up to 125cc and their max power is 11kW. This costs around 800 euros. Age limit 16.

Middle class motorcycle license ("small-A") that allows you to drive bikes that have their max power limited to 25kW and their power to weight ratio is up to 0,16 kW/kg. This card is free IF you have driven A1-license before. Otherwise it costs another 800 euros. You'll have to be 18 years for this.

And finally the real deal, full motorcycle license (A) that allows you to drive anything on two wheels. I THINK that you will get this free too if you have driven A1 or small A. If you haven't it costs about 900 euros. You'll also have to be 21 years old to get it.

Personally I think this is BULLSHIT. It's pretty much just legal robbery. Nothing else.

The moped license used to be around 40€ and it only consisted a theory exam. Now it has a few driving lessons and a few theory lessons, plus the theory exam and a driving exam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

12. Post #532
    March 2011
    140 Posts
    Ayup. Here in Finland we have four licenses:

Moped license (M) that allows you to drive "motorcycles" that are 50cc and their speed is limited to 45km/h. Nowadays this costs around 400 euros. You have to be 15 years old to get this.

Light motorcycle license (A1) that allows you to drive motorcycles that are up to 125cc and their max power is 11kW. This costs around 800 euros. Age limit 16.

Middle class motorcycle license ("small-A") that allows you to drive bikes that have their max power limited to 25kW and their power to weight ratio is up to 0,16 kW/kg. This card is free IF you have driven A1-license before. Otherwise it costs another 800 euros. You'll have to be 18 years for this.

And finally the real deal, full motorcycle license (A) that allows you to drive anything on two wheels. I THINK that you will get this free too if you have driven A1 or small A. If you haven't it costs about 900 euros. You'll also have to be 21 years old to get it.

Personally I think this is BULLSHIT. It's pretty much just legal robbery. Nothing else.

The moped license used to be around 40 and it only consisted a theory exam. Now it has a few driving lessons and a few theory lessons, plus the theory exam and a driving exam.
    We have the same system here in Germany, only that the licenses are more expensive :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

13. Post #533
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,415 Posts
    No power restrictions? So anyone who has the license can jump on a 1000cc sportsbike just like that? That's pretty insane.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #534
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    No power restrictions? So anyone who has the license can jump on a 1000cc sportsbike just like that? That's pretty insane.
    yes, and that's why many people get killed

some guy wrecked about a quarter mile from my house. the guy bought a honda cbr600rr for his first bike and only had it for a week before he crashed and died. he locked up his front brakes around a turn and hit a guard rail.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

15. Post #535
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,233 Posts
    Ours isnt too bad. We have Class C standard. Class A Commercial (varying grades) and Class M
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

16. Post #536
    March 2010
    1,507 Posts
    My little baby. She's only a 250 but still very fun and extremely good on cornering.

How many other people named their bikes? Mines name is calypso.
    It looks like it says "Nigga" at the side of your bike
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

17. Post #537
    March 2006
    3,244 Posts
    It is exactly like that. The license does not cost much either. It costs 25 dollars for the written and that is it. You can get your motorcycle skills test waived if you took a motorcycle safety course too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #538
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    It is exactly like that. The license does not cost much either. It costs 25 dollars for the written and that is it. You can get your motorcycle skills test waived if you took a motorcycle safety course too.
    That's fucking mental compared to our €1100,-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

19. Post #539
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,637 Posts
    MSF costs like $350 here so it can cost a little bit of money if you go that route.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

20. Post #540
    August 2009
    389 Posts
    I recently Bought a Honda St-90 (1974). Wiring is shot and the motor doesn't work for some reason. The seat is pretty much completely chewed off. It's missing a mirror and a few lights as well. There's some rust as well, not serious though. I found a bunch of parts for it though, almost enough to build an entire bike minus the motor and wheels. I'll post pics when I get around to shifting my ass over to the garage where I keep it. I'll be fixing it up as a personal project.

I love those little bikes, had a black Trail 70 back when we lived on an acreage, used to putt around all the time. I always tried to go as fast as possible on the dirt road, usually ended up in the ditch haha.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

21. Post #541
    March 2010
    94 Posts
    Haha, it costs 120 USD for 1 driving lesson here.. and you can only guess how much the safety courses, driving exam, etc costs.

:(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

22. Post #542
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    That's fucking mental compared to our €1100,-
    This is including lessons though! Theory exam is €35,-, AVB and AVD is about €300,- . (AVB = vehicle control AVD = participation in traffic)

23. Post #543
    March 2011
    140 Posts
    So I went for for a ride with my race moped today, runs quite well. The only problem I had was that I almost lost the swing arm because the screws came out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #544
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    778 Posts
    I love motorbikes more and more as time goes on. Today I filled my tank with change because I forgot to get cash out.

I then went riding and forgot to get cash out, again -_-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

25. Post #545
    March 2006
    3,244 Posts
    MSF costs like $350 here so it can cost a little bit of money if you go that route.
    MSF here in California costs $150. I guess I got lucky. It is a lot better than taking the dumb skills test. Seriously, one infraction and you fail. MSF actually teaches you stuff.

26. Post #546
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    it's about $185 here in florida. if you drop the bike then you'll probably automatically fail and have to retake it, but it depends on how lenient the instructors are.

27. Post #547
    May 2011
    103 Posts
    Here's my baby.
    1993 Dnepr MT-11

Sidecar is so awesomely capacious, I even sleep in there often, comfortably enough. It can also easily hold up to 3 corpses in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

28. Post #548

September 2011
    2 Posts
    Here's my pride and joy, a 1983 Honda MBX 50 my first ever bike, soon to be replaced by a 125 Honda MTX or a 100 Honda MB50 (yes it was tuned out for 100 cc, i know originally the mb was a 50) all original paintwork too, we just cleaned it up a bit and sorted the carb, been stood since 1984, had 5000 miles dead on the clock

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #549
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,415 Posts
    Here's my pride and joy, a 1983 Honda MBX 50 my first ever bike, soon to be replaced by a 125 Honda MTX or a 100 Honda MB50 (yes it was tuned out for 100 cc, i know originally the mb was a 50) all original paintwork too, we just cleaned it up a bit and sorted the carb, been stood since 1984, had 5000 miles dead on the clock

That's a sweet looking bike. 2-stroke?

Also thought this was pretty funny, and true

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

30. Post #550
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    Here's my baby.
    1993 Dnepr MT-11

Sidecar is so awesomely capacious, I even sleep in there often, comfortably enough. It can also easily hold up to 3 corpses in it.
    That bike is fucking awesome man.

Edited:

I bet it sounds sweet too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #551

September 2011
    2 Posts
    That's a sweet looking bike. 2-stroke?
    Yeah 2 stroke 50cc, when it was new and shiny it probably had about 6 or 7 hp maybe, many many moons have passed since then, it struggles on hills like mad but heh =), we also worked out that if a engine loses 1 hp per year mine would be at around about -18 XD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #552
    March 2006
    3,244 Posts
    Here's my baby.
    1993 Dnepr MT-11
    Is that a Ural? I have heard rumors that they can be expensive to maintain due to imported parts and that they might not have the greatest construction. Is there any basis to these rumors?

33. Post #553
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    Is that a Ural? I have heard rumors that they can be expensive to maintain due to imported parts and that they might not have the greatest construction. Is there any basis to these rumors?
    If I'm not mistaken it's probably the worst steel you can find. And the production tolerances are pretty high. But they're produced with that in mind so they're quite reliable.

34. Post #554
    May 2011
    103 Posts
    It's not Ural, it's Dnepr, well, you can call it ukrainian Ural (bikes are pretty much the same and both use flat engine).
    Expensive to maintain - if you don't live in post-USSR territory than yes, it's hard to find parts. But I live in Ukraine, where the Dnepr factory itself is located, so the bikes themselves are very cheap here and there are official dealers that sell parts, they are cheap too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events

35. Post #555
    March 2006
    64 Posts
    I had to pay over 4000 usd for my license here in Norway :S

This is my first bike i got about a month and a half ago

2003 SV650s

I prefer the naked ones when it comes to looks, but i guess having a fairing is an advantage living in norway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

36. Post #556
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,637 Posts
    So I rode my first street bike this past weekend. Was my friend's Yamaha Virago 250 so it was pretty easy and I enjoyed getting used to it. Was insanely comfortable as well, but I'm still gonna want a sport bike when I go ahead and get one.

37. Post #557
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,415 Posts
    I love the growl of those things. 2-cylinder sound>4-cylinder sound. I'm probably gonna get a supermoto or one of those next year, if i can save up the money during the winter.

Edited:

Supermotos, they are awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #558
    March 2006
    64 Posts
    I love the growl of those things. 2-cylinder sound>4-cylinder sound. I'm probably gonna get a supermoto or one of those next year, if i can save up the money during the winter.
    Yeah growl is the right word, great sound. What do you prefer, the naked or faired ones? Pre- or post 2003?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

39. Post #559
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,415 Posts
    Yeah growl is the right word, great sound. What do you prefer, the naked or faired ones? Pre- or post 2003?
    The nude ones look better, i don't know why but the sidefairings look really off on that bike.
    I prefer the newer ones, the old ones look way too "Soft", i don't know how to explain it. The lights are too circular and everything is so curvy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

40. Post #560
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,637 Posts
    I'm hoping to get one as a first (or second) bike and I'm gonna be going faired (the SF, fully faired) and post 2k3.