1. Post #881
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,647 Posts
    I'm not sure which ones are available in Canada, but for 250s there's the Hyosung GT250 (a Korean made bike, I think they had bad quality at first but apparently are better now), the Kawasaki Ninja 250, and the Honda CBR250R.

For a 500, there's pretty much the Suzuki GS500 (which I have) in both naked and faired form, and the Ninja 500. Both of which don't have supersport styling, but they definitely aren't crusers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

2. Post #882
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    Aprillia RS125 and RS250 are extremely cool bikes too, and maybe a Caviga Mito, those are cool, low cc bikes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #883
    April 2011
    1,765 Posts
    We definitely have the Hondas and Suzukis here, not sure on the Hyosung.
    The European bikes are most likely not available but thanks anyways!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

4. Post #884
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    You could always ride a moose or a maple leaf.

Edited:

Eh?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #885
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,055 Posts
    If you want super cheap insurance and fantastic fuel you can go with a CBR125. Sure, its not the fastest, but it can be purchased of used sites for under 2k in excellent solution. For riding under 90 km/h, its fantastic from what I have heard.

6. Post #886
    April 2011
    1,765 Posts
    yeah I was going to ask about 125s because I've seen a few for pretty cheap, but the people selling them are all girls so I wasn't sure if they're deemed "girly."
    Chances are I wont take it on the highway so going under 90km/h is no problem.

7. Post #887
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,234 Posts
    So I've been wanting to wanting to get into bikes for a few years now, and Sunday my dad got me a a jacket and gloves (<3 my dad) so I could take the motorcycle safety course (required for a license in CA if you're under 21).

(warning: I'm not photogenic in the least)

Looking into bikes to get, was recommended a CB250/500, and found this. My therapist also says her son is looking to get rid of his bike (all I could get was 80's Suzuki cruiser), and may be as cheap as $500. It's sat for 12 years, though, so it'll need at least a fluid change to run. Either bike I'd probably end up taking apart and putting back together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #888
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    779 Posts
    It's sat for 12 years, though, so it'll need at least a fluid change to run.
    After that long: fluids changed, filters changed, carby cleaned, rubber hoses/seals checked/replaced and, unless it's been sealed up the entire time, the exhaust checked for blockages (spiders, rodents, birds, etc.)

Do a lot of research, ask a lot of questions and you'll hopefully have a lot of fun fixing up whatever bike you get.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #889
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,234 Posts
    After that long: fluids changed, filters changed, carby cleaned, rubber hoses/seals checked/replaced and, unless it's been sealed up the entire time, the exhaust checked for blockages (spiders, rodents, birds, etc.)

Do a lot of research, ask a lot of questions and you'll hopefully have a lot of fun fixing up whatever bike you get.
    I assumed it would need more, but I didn't really know where to start. Thanks for the info. It's been in a garden shed/garage type thing, supposedly covered, so it's not been out in the weather. It's work I wouldn't mind doing in the least, I'd love to get into vehicles of any sort.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #890
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    779 Posts
    Oh, battery (if it has one) and spark plug too. Plus check any fuses.

Once all that's done, see if it turns over. It may take a bit, but hopefully it'll start. If it doesn't turn over or start, then you've got bigger fish to fry.
    Also try and find out why it was sitting for so long and if/how well it was running when it was last used. Hopefully it was running fine and was just put away from disinterest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #891
    April 2011
    1,765 Posts
    This is mainly for future reference as I still don't have my license but is the Yamaha Vmax a good bike? I'm still going to buy a Honda cbr or a ninja as my first one (maybe an Aprilia because you can get them here apparently) but if I like riding then maybe a future purchase will be a Vmax.

12. Post #892
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    914 Posts
    I just fixed my 1996 Vulcan's air box, bit of a bitch to do though I was able to do it good enough, I think that the hoses one the air box should stay for quite a while so I will not worry about that. Rode it again and i must say with 89 gas it runs fantastic just so damn good. Now all I have to do is get my motorcycle license and I should be good to ride where ever I need to go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

13. Post #893
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,432 Posts
    I don't know why, but choosing a shifter vs automatic is becoming a deadlocking issue for me. I've found two great options and I would get them both if I had the cash. But alas, I have to choose between them, and I really don't want to choose one and find out I've made a terrible mistake.

Aprilia RS 50, shifter (actual photo of the specific bike).
    Plusses are:
    Rebuild 2000KM/1400 miles ago including:
    - New paint (*drool*)
    - Engine revision
    - Frame checkup.
    Close to home, like 15KM close.
    Looks gorgeous.
    Only 900(!) euros/1200 dollars after negotiations.

The rebuild wasn't done at a dealer but at home by him and his father, with new original and replica parts. I've spoken to the person and explained to me that his father was in the motorcycle business for around 40 years and is a real motorhead, so I have faith that it's been done properly.

The only two reasons I didn't jump on this like a middle-aged fat housewife on a Black Friday is because it's a manual. Never driven one before, but I'm willing to learn, and it may just be great. There's also the thing that I'll mostly use it in cities so there's a lot of start/stopping (shifting) with traffic and traffic lights.
    The other one is potential issue with discomfort due to riding position combined with my 1,92M height and my heavier weight. Not having a storage compartment for my helmet is also a small issue, but nothing major.

The alternative would be (not the actual bike in picture):

Gilera DNA, automatic scooter (Not the specific bike in the photo)

Plusses are:
    Rides just like a sportsbike, handeling wise, AKA great.
    Looks very nice in my opinion
    Storage compartment big enough to fit a helmet in, and then some.
    Possibility of raised steer, for better comfort.

Weirdly, I could attribute it being an automatic as a negative point too, as you can have great fun and excitement with a manual, or so I've heard.

I wish I knew someone close to me that knew what advice to tell me, but no one in my familie or friends have any sensible advice regarding scooters.
    So, Facepunch. Could you experienced bikers give me some feedback based on the information I gave you and your own experiences?

Cheers!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

14. Post #894
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    779 Posts
    Weirdly, I could attribute it being an automatic as a negative point too, as you can have great fun and excitement with a manual, or so I've heard.
    Part of the fun of driving/riding manual is learning to become a smooth driver even when in heavy traffic ;)

My Suzuki Across has a large glovebox in front of the seat where the fuel tank normally is (under-seat fuel tank) so I completely understand how ridiculously handy it is to have.

I'm also a lover of manual transmissions and think you'd have great fun learning to ride manual, so I'm in half a mind to say get the RS, but the practicality of that scooter-bike thing is hard to go past, especially if you're mainly riding in the city.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #895
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,055 Posts
    I wish I knew someone close to me that knew what advice to tell me, but no one in my familie or friends have any sensible advice regarding scooters.
    So, Facepunch. Could you experienced bikers give me some feedback based on the information I gave you and your own experiences?

Cheers!
    It depends if you want to ever race it. I'd go for the Aprilla if you want to ever try racing with the bike, if you want an amazing commuter, you should buy the DNA. It's more practical for commuting with it's built in storage, and automatic transmission. I'm looking at both of them right now, and I'm pretty torn which one I would buy.

Edited:

I'd pick the DNA I think after reading about it more. Goes just as fast, and still has a wonderfully low center of gravity, great control and breaking. Apparently the Aprillas can have some issues with their engines.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events

16. Post #896
    March 2011
    140 Posts
    Apparently the Aprillas can have some issues with their engines.
    The RS 50 has a Minarelli AM6 engine, which is really reliable if you treat it right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

17. Post #897
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,432 Posts
    It depends if you want to ever race it. I'd go for the Aprilla if you want to ever try racing with the bike, if you want an amazing commuter, you should buy the DNA. It's more practical for commuting with it's built in storage, and automatic transmission. I'm looking at both of them right now, and I'm pretty torn which one I would buy.

Edited:

I'd pick the DNA I think after reading about it more. Goes just as fast, and still has a wonderfully low center of gravity, great control and breaking. Apparently the Aprillas can have some issues with their engines.
    It's not going to be for racing or stunting. I'm looking for something, in order of importance:

- Fun. So it doesn't get boring to drive on long rides or in the future.
    - Comfortable. I'm hoping my long length will not hamper this
    - Practical. Not having to carry your helmet everywhere would be great
    - Sporty looking. Everyone drives an Aerox these days.
    - Reasonably fast. So I don't hold up traffic and ties in a bit with the fun part

I was hoping that shifting would prevent boredom of the bike, particularly on longer stretches of open road. Honestly, I'm neutral about shifting (pun intended). If I can have just as much continuous fun on an automatic, then I'm not bothered in the slightest.

18. Post #898
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    Last night I went to a movie, after that I drove my (manual) bike all night long untill I had to go to reserve and headed home, I don't think I would've done that on any other bike.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

19. Post #899
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,432 Posts
    Last night I went to a movie, after that I drove my (manual) bike all night long untill I had to go to reserve and headed home, I don't think I would've done that on any other bike.
    Stop making it impossible for me to choose GRARGH!

20. Post #900
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    Have you driven either one of them? That's really the easiest way to choose.

21. Post #901
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,432 Posts
    Today the Gilera. Possibly tomorrow the Aprilia. It would've been so much easier if I knew people around here that had an automatic and/or a manual bike, but it's either car, bycicle or ladies scooter that goes 25KM/H

22. Post #902
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    Yeah same here, had to travel a lot to see the bikes I liked, it's a pain in the ass but in the end it's worth it.

23. Post #903
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,647 Posts
    Once I get my GS500 fixed I'm thinking about switching out the bars for something a bit sportier. Gonna go from this (stock bars):

to something like this

those are bars the dude made himself but the ones I'm looking at are almost identical except a bit lower and a bit more angled back.

24. Post #904
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    Looks a lot better with the lower ones.
    Also, DNA vs. Aprillia, I know what I'd choose:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #905
    I just came back from my holidays and I met with the guys from the MotoGP Team Ducati in the Airport train. They're a bunch of cool guys but once they get technical, close your ears, they talk about every small detail it makes your head explode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #906
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    779 Posts
    Nothing like late-night cruises when it's far too hot to ride in the day. There's also no cars about xD

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #907
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,432 Posts
    So in the end, I went with the DNA. I'm really pleased with its performence and cool factor. Three things though which I hope FP has some knowledge off:

1. Electric start doesn't work. The starting motor does turn, but it doesn't actually start the motor. Why?
    2. Left/Right blinkers don't work. I only get a faint light that doesn't blink. Brake lights, back lights, full and dim front lights do work though. Maybe ties in with problem one?
    3. There's this smell of gasoline coming from it. Outside it's not noticeable, but when put inside it fills the house withing hours. No noticable leaks, drips or puddles though. Is this normal?

PS: I can't find the choke or gas tap anywhere...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #908
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    1. how many times do you have to kick to get it to work? could be a weak spark or not enough gas going in.
    2. I don't know much about electric so I'm staying out of this
    3. Probably unburnt gas in the exhaust or something, mine always stinks the garage up, but there hasn't been any oil leaking anywhere for months.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #909
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,432 Posts
    1. Just once. I thought I had to kick forever in the beginning, but it turned out I wasn't kicking it fully but 80% or something. A full kick or two, even in sub zero temps, starts it without a problem.
    2. Fair enough. Still though. Could it be the battery or something?
    3. Perhaps. It's gonna stay outside with a good cover over it though, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Any further input from someone else would be appreciated. It would be handy to find out the issue without having to take it to a dealer and get the bill for it

30. Post #910
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,647 Posts
    Is it carbureted? Check the oil and see if that's where the gas is coming from. On my GS500 gas was bypassing my carburetor because of a stuck float and it got into my right cylinder. You don't want to ride with gas in the oil.

31. Post #911
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,432 Posts
    I have no idea what any of the means vv

Well, I sort of do. But how and where I should check for that I don't know.

32. Post #912
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,647 Posts
    Open up where you would change the oil and smell it. Is it a strong gas smell?

33. Post #913
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,432 Posts
    You mean the oil tank under my seat?

34. Post #914
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,055 Posts
    Open up where you would change the oil and smell it. Is it a strong gas smell?
    He has a 2 stroke, so all that oil is burned. Two-Strokes are smelly. I'd still love to have one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #915
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,439 Posts
    Riding a 2-stroke for 3 years made me sort of like the smell.

Some 250 2-stroke sportsbike would be dreamy. Honda NSR 250 / Suzuki RGV 250 or something.

... Or perhaps some 500cc one

Edited:

These pictures seriously make me depressed. Can't ride for a couple of months. Damn snow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #916
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    I sometimes pour a little extra oil in for that smell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #917
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,439 Posts
    Also, 5 days to the biggest motorcycle exhibition in Finland. Can't wait!
    Shame i have no decent camera.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

38. Post #918
    January 2012
    45 Posts
    Yamaha Yzf R1,
    that's all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

39. Post #919
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    666 Posts
    Someone traded this in at the dealership I work at, so I bought it.

2009 Ninja 650R with ~1800 miles on it. Anything I need to know? I've had my license for 10 years now but only because my dad had an 1981 kz550 so I would ride it when I was in high school.

Already did the oil/filter change since I don't know if it's ever been done, and I bought myself a helmet. It's the middle of winter so I can't ride it for a few months anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #920
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,055 Posts
    Someone traded this in at the dealership I work at, so I bought it.

2009 Ninja 650R with ~1800 miles on it. Anything I need to know? I've had my license for 10 years now but only because my dad had an 1981 kz550 so I would ride it when I was in high school.

Already did the oil/filter change since I don't know if it's ever been done, and I bought myself a helmet. It's the middle of winter so I can't ride it for a few months anyway.
    Did you get it for a good price?