1. Post #921
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    666 Posts
    $3500, we are a car dealership so we just got a buy bid from a few bike stores and that's what one was willing to pay so I had to match that. I looked at a pretty similar one last summer for the same price on craigslist, but truthfully didn't do much research, mainly, if I could afford the insurance!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #922
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,344 Posts
    The great thing about bikes is that they basically don't lose value unless you do a bunch of modifications, add tons of miles, or drop it. I bought my ninja 250 for 2000 and sold it for 2000 six months later after I was ready to upgrade. It was my first bike and a great learning experience but I was ready to move up to my 600.

3. Post #923
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    780 Posts
    These pictures seriously make me depressed. Can't ride for a couple of months. Damn snow.
    I'd hate to live somewhere that it snowed yearly for quite a decent amount of time :/
    I hate being cold and not being able to ride? No dice.

Also those pictures were taken at about 4AM. I was hanging out with mates, then on my way home I just sorta kept going and ended up near the coast. It was great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

4. Post #924
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    1. Just once. I thought I had to kick forever in the beginning, but it turned out I wasn't kicking it fully but 80% or something. A full kick or two, even in sub zero temps, starts it without a problem.
    2. Fair enough. Still though. Could it be the battery or something?
    3. Perhaps. It's gonna stay outside with a good cover over it though, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Any further input from someone else would be appreciated. It would be handy to find out the issue without having to take it to a dealer and get the bill for it
    1. Wel I don't know much about starter motors but the engine itself should be fine, as far as I'm concerned starter motors are fueled with magic and fairyfarts.
    2. I'd sooner think it's a resistance or a wire.
    3. Okay, with Kreidlers they say "If it isn't leaking it doesn't have any oil", this is not always true but leaking usually isn't a problem at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

5. Post #925
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,439 Posts
    Maybe I should whisper it compliments to fuel the starter motor or something.

But first things first: Helmets. Tight budget, so would this suffice, providing it's a good fit: http://www.helmonline.nl/integraalhe...eesupport.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

6. Post #926
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    If it's ECE certified it's good enough for a motorcycle, so a moped would be fine. The most important thing is the fit, a €30,- helmet that fits perfect wil do waaaay better than a €3000,- that doesn't quite fit right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

7. Post #927
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,439 Posts
    For 3000 Euros it better give me independent life support for my possibly severed head.

8. Post #928
    Was shopping for a helmet, found a nice Half helmet to go with my moped. The BAM! On the newspaper.

Half Helmets Ban Enforced.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events

9. Post #929
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,659 Posts
    i know it's a big thing for scooters (especially in Asia) but I'd never wear a half helmet and here's why:

those percents are the amount of impacts in that region after crashes. Almost 45% of people hit the area where a half helmet doesn't cover when they crash.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #930
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,439 Posts
    It's quite scary to ride a 60KM/H 130KG weighing two-wheeler when you're used to a small 60KG 35KM/H only riding in cycle lanes vv

11. Post #931
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,452 Posts
    Reminds me of my first time on my GSX600F. Hadn't really rode sportsbikes before, apart from my friends 125cc ones.

That acceleration, jesus christ.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

12. Post #932
    Half helms are famous here because of the hot weather. But looking at the image above, 3/4 helms don't cover that 15% too. Dang.

13. Post #933
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,452 Posts
    I wish there was a diagram like that for motocross helmets. Every summer you see retards on 1000cc "streetfighters" wearing nothing but a hoodie + a motocross helmet. Looks stupid too.

14. Post #934
    I wish there was a diagram like that for motocross helmets. Every summer you see retards on 1000cc "streetfighters" wearing nothing but a hoodie + a motocross helmet. Looks stupid too.
    Maybe they can't afford full helmets with good ventilation.

15. Post #935
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,439 Posts
    Hmmm. I have a strong suspicion it's the battery that stops my blinkers and electric start from working. The battery under the scooter wasn't disconnected when it stood still for a few months. Is it still prudent to drive around trying to charge it? Or do I have to go and buy a new one?

16. Post #936
    Hmmm. I have a strong suspicion it's the battery that stops my blinkers and electric start from working. The battery under the scooter wasn't disconnected when it stood still for a few months. Is it still prudent to drive around trying to charge it? Or do I have to go and buy a new one?
    Try charging it then, it might also be a dead battery.

17. Post #937
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    742 Posts
    My old bike:

I loved it, but I decided I didnt want to be killed.
    I miss it dearly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)

18. Post #938
    February 2007
    51 Posts
    If anyone here who's between 17-24 and lives in the UK wants to get their full bike licence I would highly recommend doing your tests before the end of the year. In 2013 you will have to be 24 to get your full licence. If your 17 you will have to ride a 125cc after passing a test for 2 years then take ANOTHER test to get your 44bhp restricted licence. Thats it then right? 2 years then I'll get my licence automatically? nope. You will need to pass a further test to gain your full unrestricted licence.

So a 17 year old will have to pass 3 or 6 tests (depending on if module 1 is required for each test), wait until their 19 to even have a restricted big bike and only when they're 21 have a full unrestricted licence.

In cost terms (assuming you do inital training all through a school and hire a bike):
    CBT, First mod 1, 2, theory and training - 400-700 depending on pass/fails and school
    Second and third mod 2 - 80 or 180-200 with school

So lets assume our 17 year old is now 21 with his full licence, failed their theory and mod 2 once and did it through a school. Total cost of getting a full licence will be anywhere between 700-1000. This could go up as bike schools will need to make changes to their fleet as DAS now requires a 595cc bike and most use 500's so chances are they will be charging more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #939
    December 2007
    1,205 Posts
    Silly UK laws coming in
    Promised myself I would finally start riding this year and get around to sorting out Direct access so I could chug around on a 125 for the summer then get the full cat A after a few months. Always said to myself no rush in this, but when I heard about this a few months back realised I would have to sort it out this year or else be restricted till I'm 24... brilliant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #940
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,659 Posts
    Maybe they can't afford full helmets with good ventilation.
    Full face, visor up + goggles. Never have to worry about ventilation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #941

July 2009
    255 Posts
    I just found the best looking hybrid helmet ever:
    http://www.mc-sport.fi/shop/product_details.php?p=2481

Someday, when I'm rich, I'm going to buy a reaaal sweet supermoto and that helmet.

In other news, two days until the biggest motorcycle-expo in the Finland/nordic countries. I loaned my uncles Canon EOS500D, gonna dump a shitload of pictures after it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #942
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,344 Posts
    I have a modular flip up helmet. Pretty nice.

23. Post #943
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    780 Posts
    I just found the best looking hybrid helmet ever:
    http://www.mc-sport.fi/shop/product_details.php?p=2481

Someday, when I'm rich, I'm going to buy a reaaal sweet supermoto and that helmet.
    I was kind of annoyed that a whole pile new sub-$250 DS/hybrid helmets came out just after I bought mine :/

In other news, two days until the biggest motorcycle-expo in the Finland/nordic countries. I loaned my uncles Canon EOS500D, gonna dump a shitload of pictures after it!
    :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

24. Post #944
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,659 Posts
    Man, I'm getting pissed that the dark smoke replacement shield for my helmet has been on backorder since I ordered it in October. Thinking about just buying a dark smoke inner shield and getting a light smoke outer shield.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

25. Post #945
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    666 Posts
    I just got this helmet, have yet to ride with it, seems nicer than the cheap one I keep at my parents house.

Love having the inner shield, I wear glasses so I don't have to bring my sunglasses with me too.

26. Post #946
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,452 Posts
    I'm also going and borrowing my brothers camera. Not sure if going today or tomorrow.

Gonna be sweet!

27. Post #947
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,021 Posts
    Just an ass shot of my motard:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #948
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,439 Posts
    Gotta bring away my DNA tomorrow to get a new battery + starting issues fixed. Later this month it'll be getting a maintaince/checkup, a new dashboard and some better tires.

Too bad it's going to be shit weather the coming weeks/months. Can't wait to give it a good whirl at warmer climates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

29. Post #949
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    780 Posts
    Just an ass shot of my motard:

IIRC you're from Perth, aren't you? When my mate gets his DRz back in one piece and out of my garage (and my bike's running again) we should go for a burn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #950
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,021 Posts
    IIRC you're from Perth, aren't you? When my mate gets his DRz back in one piece and out of my garage (and my bike's running again) we should go for a burn.
    Yeah man! Totally up for that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #951

July 2009
    255 Posts
    Some pics from the motorcycle-expo:

I also drove an electric supermoto. It was crazy, with all the enormous torque kicking in instantly when I gave it some gas. Too bad the floor was too slippery, it could have done some pretty nice wheelies :p It just drifted around the corners and even gave some wheelspin when going straight!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

32. Post #952
    January 2010
    103 Posts
    Mostly a lurker as I'm not quite old enough to ride yet but i'm heading up to the London Excel bike show with my dad on sunday, expect pictures, that's if there are some nice bikes there.

33. Post #953
    I just got pictures of my bike being loaded onto the truck and prepared to ship to me.
    in 10-15 days I shall be enjoying my new transport.

34. Post #954
    January 2010
    103 Posts
    Damn england and it's unpredictable weather, just got about 5-6 inches of snow in my area last night, takes riding and driving out of the equation, the only other option is public transport but it would take us several hours and it would be severly disrupted, sorry guys, no bike show pictures from me.

35. Post #955
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,439 Posts
    Damn england and it's unpredictable weather, just got about 5-6 inches of snow in my area last night, takes riding and driving out of the equation, the only other option is public transport but it would take us several hours and it would be severly disrupted, sorry guys, no bike show pictures from me.
    I hear ya. Snowfall for hours + -10 degrees freezing that night = slippery ice track for weeks, EVERYWHERE. Well, they do salt the roads, but not the suburbs and parking lots. Plus mushy snow is still slippery if it keeps freezing.

36. Post #956
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,452 Posts
    I hear ya. It was -31C this morning, every road is covered with snow, SNOW, SNOW EVERYWHERE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #957
    Can i have a tital Dav0r?
    August 2005
    1,894 Posts
    Snow is nice to look at sometimes, but i'm glad we only get it usually a week or two a year.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #958
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,258 Posts
    My therapist also says her son is looking to get rid of his bike (all I could get was 80's Suzuki cruiser), and may be as cheap as $500. It's sat for 12 years, though, so it'll need at least a fluid change to run. Either bike I'd probably end up taking apart and putting back together.
    Just got an email back from this guy.
    My mom mentioned you were interested in my motorcycle. I bought it while I was living in Nebraska in 1998, and then brought it to [where I live]. Rode it maybe twice in 1999, but then got a job in [neighboring city] followed by a move to the East Coast and have kept it in storage in a shed at my mom's house since then. It was running when I left it there. Dunno if you know the stats - it's a 1983 Suzuki GS1100E, aftermarket exhaust system, I think around 37k miles? It will need a good carb cleaning, new battery, not sure what else...the turn signals might need some work as well. The front fork seals may need replacement after sitting for so long, too. Nothing is mechanically wrong with it. I was hoping to move back to the Bay Area and get a place with a garage that lets me tinker with it, but that's doubtful since I'm planning on being here in Philadelphia for at least another year. I'll sell it for $400 if you're interested. I still have the title, too. Thanks!
    So it's an '83 Suzuki GS1100E. I'm trying to find info on it, because I don't want to be starting on an 1100cc engine as my first bike. Amazing luck that it was running before it sat, and that it'll hopefully only need replacements for old, worn fluids, seals, and crap. $400 sounds like a steal, too.

But yeah, does anyone know more about the GS1100E? Wikipedia says it should technically be part of the GSX line?

39. Post #959
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    780 Posts
    Just got an email back from this guy.

So it's an '83 Suzuki GS1100E. I'm trying to find info on it, because I don't want to be starting on an 1100cc engine as my first bike. Amazing luck that it was running before it sat, and that it'll hopefully only need replacements for old, worn fluids, seals, and crap. $400 sounds like a steal, too.

But yeah, does anyone know more about the GS1100E? Wikipedia says it should technically be part of the GSX line?
    I'd be worried starting out on such a big bike too, but that sounds like a damn good deal. Sweet looking bike too.
    Get some good training courses under your belt, ride sensibly and carefully and you should be just fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #960
    I think you should only get the Suzuki as a weekend bike though. But its your call to make the choices.