1. Post #481
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,447 Posts
    Buell's quality is lacking
    What? They look good, have a good engine, and from what i've heard, ride good aswell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

2. Post #482
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    What? They look good, have a good engine, and from what i've heard, ride good aswell.
    He means the build quality similarily: the reason Harley riders salute with their hands low is actually to catch the parts falling of their bike.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

3. Post #483
    March 2010
    94 Posts
    I'd love to buy a Ninja 250R next spring, but it cost's around 9,5k usd here... used.

How much does it cost there?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

4. Post #484
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    I'd love to buy a Ninja 250R next spring, but it cost's around 9,5k usd here... used.

How much does it cost there?
    about $2500-$3500 for a used 2008+ one with low miles

the previous generation ones you can get for even less than that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #485
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,657 Posts
    Yeah I've seen previous gen 250Rs go for as low as 1k here on CL.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

6. Post #486
    Streetwise Angel Booksmart Devil
    January 2010
    3,038 Posts
    I've never been on a bike, but they look like great fun. Anyone here have a starter bike they recommend? I'm 6' and 140 lbs.

Unfortunately, I live in Massachusetts, so it isn't really practical for me to have a motorcycle because I wouldn't be able to ride it for more than half the year probably.

7. Post #487
    March 2011
    140 Posts
    Fuck yeah, I just got my 125ccm license
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

8. Post #488
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    I've never been on a bike, but they look like great fun. Anyone here have a starter bike they recommend? I'm 6' and 140 lbs.

Unfortunately, I live in Massachusetts, so it isn't really practical for me to have a motorcycle because I wouldn't be able to ride it for more than half the year probably.
    ninja 250 if you want to get into sports bikes

9. Post #489
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,233 Posts
    Im looking at getting rid of my current small truck and getting a bike instead. Is it more comfortable to have a cruiser or a sport bike? With my height being 6' 3" and weight of 230 lbs (100kg) do I need to take into account engine power and bike size?

Edited:

and if I have the right gear I can ride in any weather right? I live in the southern US where it gets cold but rarely snows.

10. Post #490
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    cruisers are more comfortable because of the laid back riding position

I'm not sure about the weight/height. you might be too big for bikes like the ninja 250, but you could get a 500 or 650 instead

they do make weather specific gear. you can wear the gear in any weather, but if you wore full leathers in the summer then obviously you'd be hot as hell, so you might wanna wear cooler gear in hot weather and use the leather gear when it gets cooler out.

11. Post #491
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,233 Posts
    and as for manufactorers im looking for something around 5000-7000 for Id guess a 500, I read that you should start smaller and did read a bit that a 250 is mainly for cities and smaller people. I guess I should specify. I plan to be making a 40-50 mile trip about twice a week all around the year (college). I think all I need to do is get the gear for it and take the drivers course which they provide a 250cc for it. Once I pass that I can get my own if I still want to.

12. Post #492
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    take the msf course

the ninja 250 might be fine for you. there are probably people your size who ride one.

13. Post #493
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,233 Posts
    take the msf course

the ninja 250 might be fine for you. there are probably people your size who ride one.
    thanks for the tips. Ill take a look at the ninja 250. I just need to make sure I have something that can keep up with the interstate speeds around here (55-70) and our interstate 285 is like a madmans raceway. Speed limit 55 and the slowest cars go 70.

14. Post #494
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    yeah you'll probably want a little more powerful bike then, especially if you're gonna be on an interstate where the speed limit is 70. the ninja 250 might have some issues on the a 70 mph interstate especially with a 200+ pound rider.

the 500 or 650 would be fine. just don't get a 600cc bike such as the gsx-r, r6, etc.

15. Post #495
    Can i have a tital Dav0r?
    August 2005
    1,893 Posts
    What's wrong with a gsx-r?

16. Post #496
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,657 Posts
    There's nothing wrong with a GSX-R, but there's usually something wrong with the right hand of someone who has never ridden a motorcycle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #497
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,756 Posts
    OP back again. I got the wiring loom just in time. Ripped out the old one. Look at this piece of fuck. Lying on the floor like a tumor.

Even though the one was a replica, it was indifferend from an original - With the exeption of one wire being connected wrong. Boy did this take time to find out. It was the power plug for the turning signal, so the relay almost burned out by the time I found the problem. It was just assembled wrong, so fixing it was not a problem.

Looking good again

So with two days delay I started my tour. I went through Austria and swizerland and over the french border on the first day, roughly 600 km. Not a bad distance, considering that I never went on the Autobahn. In Germany it is just like any other road, but in the rest of europe you have to pay a considerable amount of money at checkpoints. Didn't stop much other than for food or to sleep in the tent.

Arrived in South france on the second day after another rough 600 km. We were greeted by a thunderstorm and a feast. So we ate in the rain and thunder. Great atmosphere.

The place is quite nice. A hermit frenchman lives there, totally isolated and independent. Once a year he holds a feast and invites friends from all over the world. He slaughtered one of his lambs and served the best food I have ever eaten, all from his own garden and farm. Its a piece of heaven on earth

There was quite some time to mess around.

After a few days I packed my stuff again to head back.

Over the Alps, YEEEAAAHHHH

Just LOOK at those roads! A dream. The air was so thin that my carburetor gave me a hard time kickstarting the SR (wich is a beast to kickstart after long runs anyway, since the fuel inside is litterally boiling and won't mix easily)

Ah, well. A bit of Italy and Alps. The 5th country for me to visit on the tour.

After all this traveling I was exhausted. Visited two metal open air festvals in the last week. Now I am the most relaxed ever. Haven't kicked back so much ever before. So well, this is a totally layed back H4ngman signing off.

Peace
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

18. Post #498
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    What's wrong with a gsx-r?
    the bike itself is fine, but it's not something a beginner should be learning on

19. Post #499

July 2009
    255 Posts
    Oh god H4ngman, that's exactly the kind of a trip I would LOVE to do. Although first I'd have to drive through Estonia and Latvia and Lithunia and every other country that's between Finland and Switzerland. If only I had a bigger bike and time to do this...

Well, one can always dream.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #500
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,756 Posts
    Oh god H4ngman, that's exactly the kind of a trip I would LOVE to do. Although first I'd have to drive through Estonia and Latvia and Lithunia and every other country that's between Finland and Switzerland. If only I had a bigger bike and time to do this...

Well, one can always dream.
    The SR isn't really that big a bike. It flats out at 140km/h and can barely hold 170 km worth of fuel. I always travel with two 2-liter backup gas tanks. Top speed isn't really that important for touring. You don't want to get from A to B as fast as possible, you want to enjoy the ride. And other than the Autobahn, you won't have much chances to ge fast anyway.

The important thing is that your bike is relieable. You need to know typical problems and every screw related to them. Mine's mostly vibration, heat, oil consumption and electronics. If you know your machine well enough, you can practically go on a moped, if you are dedicated enough, so head up!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Germany Show Events

21. Post #501
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    779 Posts
    Here in Australia, people travel around the country on Honda CT110 postie bikes.
    You need an iron butt for sure, but it's definitely possible on a small bike.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

22. Post #502
    August 2005
    1,893 Posts
    the bike itself is fine, but it's not something a beginner should be learning on
    ah, i kinda thought that's what you meant

23. Post #503
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,341 Posts
    I am 5 foot 10 about 180 pounds and a ninja 250 felt tiny for me. The 600 is definitely worth it.

24. Post #504
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,233 Posts
    Well seeing as I have to drive through Atlanta, GA to get to my school then I really think I need to get something with a little power behind it. And I remember the first time I rode a dirt bike i was retarded with the throttle and wont make the same mistake again. The learners course is on a 250 anyway. What is the average tank size anyway?

25. Post #505
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    I am 5 foot 10 about 180 pounds and a ninja 250 felt tiny for me. The 600 is definitely worth it.
    getting a 600 for your first bike is asinine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #506

July 2009
    255 Posts
    The SR isn't really that big a bike. It flats out at 140km/h and can barely hold 170 km worth of fuel. I always travel with two 2-liter backup gas tanks. Top speed isn't really that important for touring. You don't want to get from A to B as fast as possible, you want to enjoy the ride. And other than the Autobahn, you won't have much chances to ge fast anyway.

The important thing is that your bike is relieable. You need to know typical problems and every screw related to them. Mine's mostly vibration, heat, oil consumption and electronics. If you know your machine well enough, you can practically go on a moped, if you are dedicated enough, so head up!
    Yeah well, 2-stroke 125cc's aren't really known for their reliability in the long journeys. Sure, they may work really well during the trip but I'm really not willing to take the risk that it breaks down 3000 kilometres from home.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

27. Post #507
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,756 Posts
    Yeah well, 2-stroke 125cc's aren't really known for their reliability in the long journeys. Sure, they may work really well during the trip but I'm really not willing to take the risk that it breaks down 3000 kilometres from home.
    Oh, well that IS a small bike alright. But chin up, I got mine for under 800€. Sure, it required some maintenance (see my wiring desaster) but with a bit of know-how you can fix up a cheap oldtimer.

28. Post #508
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    has anyone here sat on a gsx-r? I'm pretty sure someone that's posted in this thread has a 600, but I don't remember what model

I was wondering the height you need to be to flat foot one

29. Post #509
    August 2005
    1,893 Posts
    I sat on my friends' gsx-r 600 and i am 5' 10". I've never owned a bike or ridden one, but it felt larger than i expected. Said friend is only like 5' 6" or something, and handles it well. He has to drive it through his yard 90% of the time which has a decent slope to it and has never dropped it. I can't remember if i could put my feet flat on the ground though, so i probably just wasted your time. I don't think it would have been a problem though.

30. Post #510
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    it probably depends on what year the bike is as well. they've changed the seat height, etc. throughout the years

I think the Yamaha R6 has a pretty high seat out of the 600cc bikes whereas the GSX-R is better for shorter people

31. Post #511
    August 2005
    1,893 Posts
    It's a 2007

32. Post #512
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,233 Posts
    If i do get a bike id probably be doubling or even tripling my gas mileage. I need to wait till early spring though so I don't just start riding right as winter rolls around. I'll probably keep an eye on this thread and do some more research on if I want to or not.

33. Post #513
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    ugh I can't decide if I should go ahead and get a motorcycle

my stepdad doesn't really like the idea, but he'd accept it. my dad, on the other hand, would absolutely hate the idea and probably have a heart attack if I got one.

I know that no matter what I'll eventually get one, so maybe I should just go ahead and do it now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #514
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,756 Posts
    why the fuck are some parents against biking?

35. Post #515
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    They are scared of their kid dying or getting seriously injured.
    You are smaller, you are faster and you are less protected against impacts, of course they'd rather see you in a car.
    The parents that are really really against it just take to fear too far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

36. Post #516
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,984 Posts
    Because they don't want their child to be hurt riding a bike if they get into a crash or whatever.

I was in this thread earlier thinking about a Honda Ruckus, but now I'm going towards some other 50cc bikes like the older mopeds and those 50cc street bikes. I was looking up the Aprilia RS50 and the Honda NSR50 which look pretty good, because I want to start with something small and all I'll need to ride it on the street is a driver's license or learner's permit and a registration for it. The only problem I have is finding where to buy one, and I live in Massachusetts.

I don't like riding my bicycle on the side of the road, and the bike path doesn't reach the parts of town I'd be going to.

37. Post #517
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    If you can, get a Honda MB5 or MT5, good brakes, and can go quite fast for a moped, 4 speed, sometimes 5.
    If you prefer something classic get a Kreidler or Zundapp, but those will be even harder to find, they're considered to be really reliable for their time though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

38. Post #518
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,984 Posts
    I'll start looking for those bikes. I like the MB5. But instead of the Aprilia RS50 and the Honda NRS50, I think the Aprilia SX50 would suit me better. The only problem I have is finding one near me (I live in Massachusetts). The only place that sells Aprilia bikes is kind of far from me.

39. Post #519
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    because the risk of riding one on the streets is immense
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #520
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,341 Posts
    Anyone can learn on a 600 as well as a smaller bike. Just take your time and get a feel for it. You're obviously not going to be cranking it constantly and if you do you deserve it. If you have the money to buy a 250 before a bigger bike than go for it. But otherwise just get a bigger bike. You won't regret it later.