1. Post #41
    Connoisseur of Maple Syrup, Guns, and Sex Toys
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    I love fresh parsley, oregano, and sweet basil. I also tend to use Mrs. Dash seasoning (no msg), fresh garlic, etc.

My personal favourite seasoning is white pepper. I don't know why, I just love it.

2. Post #42
    May 2010
    1,301 Posts
    Lately i've been using this mixture.
    I don't really have a definite amount for anything
    It's great on Steak and Chicken. Hell, it's probably pretty tasty on most things.
    1/3 of your mix will be a 50-50 ratio of Kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper.
    Then, you want a pretty even mix of cumin and garlic powder. Then add a pinch of a cinnamon, and sprinkle some red-pepper flakes in for a little heat.
    Sprinkle some of that on your steaks or chicken and grill that shit up.

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,060 Posts
    Lately i've been using this mixture.
    I don't really have a definite amount for anything
    It's great on Steak and Chicken. Hell, it's probably pretty tasty on most things.
    1/3 of your mix will be a 50-50 ratio of Kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper.
    Then, you want a pretty even mix of cumin and garlic powder. Then add a pinch of a cinnamon, and sprinkle some red-pepper flakes in for a little heat.
    Sprinkle some of that on your steaks or chicken and grill that shit up.
    I never find garlic powder is a decent substitute to the real thing, garlic lasts for weeks so even if you use it very slowly it won't go off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    May 2010
    1,301 Posts
    I never find garlic powder is a decent substitute to the real thing, garlic lasts for weeks so even if you use it very slowly it won't go off.
    No doubt, this is more of a spice mix that i just keep around in the pantry to toss on steak or chicken if i'm feeling like making something but don't want to run to the store and grab garlic if i'm out.
    My favorite steak is still just rubbing it with olive oil, dicing up some garlic, and rubbing the steak down with garlic, then throwing some salt and pepper on it.

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,060 Posts
    Putting a very small amount of lemon on a steak a few hours before cooking can make a cheap steak very tender. Obviously don't do it to good steaks but nameless steaks or rump steaks really benefit.

Oh and always griddle and then oven cook to perfection.

6. Post #46
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,951 Posts
    Garlic powder is just fine, garlic salt isn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #47
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,444 Posts
    but it's all dried and... lacking in strength of flavour. like random said, real garlic keeps for so long, i don't understand why people wouldn't use the real stuff. especially when you put it in the crusher and all the lovely juice comes out, you just don't get that with the powder/dried.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #48
    Dennab
    January 2009
    1,725 Posts
    Cayenne's the best. I eat literally everything with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,060 Posts
    but it's all dried and... lacking in strength of flavour. like random said, real garlic keeps for so long, i don't understand why people wouldn't use the real stuff. especially when you put it in the crusher and all the lovely juice comes out, you just don't get that with the powder/dried.
    I could never get on with a garlic press, kept finding that too much of the garlic didn't go through the press, much prefer dicing it myself. Takes slightly longer but I don't mind spending a while cooking.

Best way to do it is crush it with the side of a knife (pressing your palm down onto the side of the knife), put a bit of salt on it and then just cut it like you would do herbs. Takes about 30 seconds.

10. Post #50
    July 2009
    5,692 Posts
    Cayenne's the best. I eat literally everything with it.
    Yeah pretty much this, I really like to put this on anything with cheddar. Brings the flavor out imo.

I also like putting garlic and oregano on my steak, never really tried the lemon on the steak thing though.

I have to try that as I really love lemons and steaks.

11. Post #51
    December 2006
    18,444 Posts
    i use a fairly small knife when chopping so i can't really crush it too easily, plus you don't get as much juice from it. also my press is pretty efficient and what does get left (seems like a skin) i just chop and throw in the pan anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,060 Posts
    Yeah pretty much this, I really like to put this on anything with cheddar. Brings the flavor out imo.

I also like putting garlic and oregano on my steak, never really tried the lemon on the steak thing though.

I have to try that as I really love lemons and steaks.
    The lemon isn't to flavour, the acidity of the lemon breaks down the bonds in the steak making it more tender.

Edited:

i use a fairly small knife when chopping so i can't really crush it too easily, plus you don't get as much juice from it. also my press is pretty efficient and what does get left (seems like a skin) i just chop and throw in the pan anyway.
    I have to use a large, very sharp knife, find you have more control with it as well as cutting more easily. Can't be serrated either, serrated knives annoy me.

13. Post #53
    December 2006
    18,444 Posts
    I have small hands P:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,060 Posts
    I have small hands P:
    Bah that isn't an excuse :)

Just realised, how could I forget about this:

Best bloody seasoning/sauce around. Never has rotting fish guts ever tasted so good!

15. Post #55
    January 2009
    1,853 Posts
    Pepper, BBQ sauce, lemon on fried seafoods.

As a side note, even though it's a herb, I can't stand coriander, it's too pungent for me

16. Post #56
    ♩♪♫♬
    March 2009
    2,453 Posts
    What seasoning would go nice in olive oil to eat with some bread? I like to just dip bread in it occasionally, taste good.

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,060 Posts
    Try putting balsamic vinegar in the oil.

Or something like garlic and lemon would work as well.

18. Post #58
    December 2006
    18,444 Posts
    a nice thing to do is to get some olive oil in your little dipping dish, and then add some balsamic vinegar. what tends to happen is the vinegar gets soaked right up, and then the oil comes as you pull the bread away. perfect for things like dry pizza crusts that you might otherwise leave.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    January 2009
    1,853 Posts
    +1 on Balsamic vinegar in olive oil, it's pretty much a staple condiment with bread when you go out to restaurants

20. Post #60
    July 2009
    5,692 Posts
    The lemon isn't to flavour, the acidity of the lemon breaks down the bonds in the steak making it more tender.

Edited:

I have to use a large, very sharp knife, find you have more control with it as well as cutting more easily. Can't be serrated either, serrated knives annoy me.
    Ah, I still have to try it

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,102 Posts
    I'm counting Worcester sauce here, because you don't use it like a normal sauce. Cooking anything savoury with it becomes amazing. Cheese toastie with a good amount Worcester is brilliant.

22. Post #62
    Connoisseur of Maple Syrup, Guns, and Sex Toys
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    Amen to this. I used to mince my garlic with a knife, especially with spaghetti sauce. The other night I found a garlic press and used it and holy shit it made the sauce like 20x better than I'd ever made before.

23. Post #63
    June 2010
    3,845 Posts
    Oregano or Soy Sauce works fine for me.

Don't know why but just adding soy sauce to a lot of foods is good to me. Hell, even pizza.

24. Post #64
    March 2010
    4,435 Posts
    I put basil on a frozen pizza, mostly because my sister refuses to eat pizza with basil on it.
    More for me.

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,442 Posts
    I use a lot of onions, garlic, pepper, cumin, thyme and cayenne pepper.

Also sriracha

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    280 Posts
    Cumin is awesome on everything!

For multipurpose mix, this is the best:

27. Post #67
    October 2009
    646 Posts
    This may sound gross but melted peanut butter + sweet soy sauce taste good on things like Japanese/Chinese flat noodles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,201 Posts
    adobo fucking rules. one of my favorite types of seasoning to put on chicken

29. Post #69
    April 2010
    38 Posts
    Lemon Pepper is fun. And weird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_pepper

And all this talk of one generic spice sounds weird to me. Just have all of the more common herbs and spices in your cupboard (Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Coriander, Thyme, Turmeric, etc). I can see it might be easier/quicker to use, but I've never tried anything like that that tastes better than your own mix of stuff.

And if it does, I would probably be wary of the other stuff in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #70
    Mp6
    March 2007
    395 Posts
    I've had a bit of an obsession with this for quite some time.

It goes incredibly well on almost all meats, and mixed in with recipes that use a lot of tomatoes is always good. It's also incredibly unhealthy because of how salty it is but well worth it in almost every case.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,698 Posts
    forever in my heart

32. Post #72
    June 2010
    4,864 Posts
    I can't get enough of Asda Italian seasoning, for some reason.

33. Post #73
    March 2011
    1,855 Posts
    What seasoning would go nice in olive oil to eat with some bread? I like to just dip bread in it occasionally, taste good.
    Put lemon zest, garlic, parsley, olive oil, salt, pepper, and basil in a blender.

Goes excellent with bread.

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,220 Posts
    I love creole on just about anything.