1. Post #1
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    Environments: An advanced but efficient space engine for Garrysmod, with none of the lag caused by SB.

Old Gameplay Video.

[release]Features:
    *Ability to edit properties of planets through a text file
    *Much Faster Environment Checking
    *A Spacesuit
    *3D Visor Style Hud while wearing suit helmet
    *Ship/Station Atmospheres that stay inside the ship
    *Compatibility with most LS3 devices
    *Realistic effects of environments on your spacesuit, such as heat conduction (no instant temperature changes like SB)
    *Random Events Such as Meteor Showers, Earthquakes, or Asteroid Impacts
    *A serverside logging system that can be accessed from the client
    *Many future updates to come :D
    [/release]

[release]Console Commands
    env_get_logs - gets the log and opens it up in a derma window
    env_server_reload - resets all of the planets
    env_hud_reload - reloads the hud
    env_fire_event - calls an event on the planet you are currently on (possible options include meteor, meteorstorm, and earthquake)
    env_update_check - checks for svn updates

C-Vars
    env_hud_unit - changes the units used for temperature (options are K, C, or F)
    env_hud_enabled - enables or disables the hud clientside
    env_allow_noclip - if noclip is allowed or not for nonadmins
    [/release]

[release]Screenshots:

[/release]

[release]How To:
    Life Support: Instead of using the default LS3 life support like the climate reg or gravity reg, this addon uses an entity called the LS Core that is under the entities tab. It will make the interior of a ship that is welded together have a single atmosphere that you can only breathe in when inside the ship. To use it, simply spawn, weld it to your ship, link it to your network, and turn it on.

Spacesuit: to take the helmet of your spacesuit on and off along with its hud, simply press F2. Be warned, you can't survive in space and on most other planets without this.[/release]

[release]Credits:
    CmdrMatthew - Lua Coding
    JVS - base code for the HUD visor
    The Spacebuild Dev Team - map loading
    Aycerus Servers - for hosting my addon during development and for helping me with testing[/release]

NOTE: When you install be sure to remove the LS3 Core and the SpaceBuild folder if they are already on the server.
    REQUIREMENTS: A life support, mine or LS3; Spacebuild_Content if using my life support.

I am looking for any and all ideas to improve my addon, so feel free to tell me of any issues and I will get on them right away.
    I am also looking for suggestions on what to add to it next, just post any bugs or ideas you have here.
    Main Addon SVN: http://environments.googlecode.com/s...nments%20Core/ UPDATE REGULARLY!
    LS System SVN http://environments.googlecode.com/s...nvironmentsRD/

Server: 70.90.77.57:27015 Aycerus Spacebuild #1 (not really SB)
    Thanks to Aycerus for graciously supporting me during the development!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Lua King x 60Winner x 7Funny x 2Dumb x 1Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,652 Posts
    you've piqued my interest

well done

does it require ls3 to run and refill space suits or is there another way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    Currently it requires LS3 to refill spacesuits. Thank you for reminding me of this, I am going to make it so you don't have to have LS3 sometime in the near future to do this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    October 2008
    438 Posts

[release]Features:[list=1][*]Ship/Station Atmospheres that stay inside the ship[/list][/release]
    :aaaaa: you took the letters out of my keyboard.

Also on a side note.
    Code:
    Repository moved permanently to 'http://code.google.com/hosting/'; please relocate
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    :aaaaa: you took the letters out of my keyboard.

Also on a side note.
    Code:
    Repository moved permanently to 'http://code.google.com/hosting/'; please relocate
    Ok, put up the svn ready link, instead of just the one to the googlecode page.

6. Post #6
    October 2009
    5,852 Posts
    nice can i ask how did you did the HUD on the 1st pic?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Venezuela Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    nice can i ask how did you did the HUD on the 1st pic?
    It's basically a 2D HUD drawn onto a cylinder.

8. Post #8
    October 2009
    5,852 Posts
    ok thank you

9. Post #9
    Oh, I hadn't seen the latest things you added, like the helmet hud and the like.
    Looks really sweet!
    Maybe I should get my ass back into the SB server and actually try it out again...

Wonderful job.

+1 Lua King

Edited:

Slight suggestion, think you could make a derma menu so you could customize the helmet hud a bit, like colors, etc.?

Or would that be too much work?

10. Post #10
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    Thanks! Yeah, I could do something like that in the future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Awesome.

<- Is a customization fag
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,548 Posts
    1. HUD seems to get squished on my resolution of 1680x1050

2. I would like it better if you didn't need a network for the ship atmosphere thing. Or make it optional since I don't want CAF and Networks and all that on the server.

13. Post #13
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    Looks good, but you should do some more tests.

We once thought about implementing this system for SB2, but due to restrictions in the engine (500+ touches at the same time) that caused the engine to break back then we dediced to use the system that's used right now.

14. Post #14
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    Smoot: I will get to work on adding your resolution right away! I have to add support for the larger resolutions manually, because the positioning of the HUD is quite fiddly.

15. Post #15
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    Filename: CAF_Hooks, Message: Think3 Error: [addons\ls3_spacebuild3\lua\entities\base_sb_enviro nment\init.lua:496] attempt to compare number with nil

Thats the error I get, ls3 is up to date.

Edited:

Āre you supose to del the lse ents folder aswell?

16. Post #16
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    You must have forgot to uninstall SB, and no you do not need to remove the LS3 ents folder.

17. Post #17
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    SVN Update: Added random meteor showers

18. Post #18
    JamieH is a retarded bitch <3
    July 2008
    2,213 Posts
    The gamemode itself works great.

Not had to a chance to prolong test it to see if it lags less than SB3. However there are a few niggles that I might need to tweak out.

The HUD, sorry I really am but it's horrible :s
    I think I will make it something like what you have here: http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7831/...tresstest1.jpg with the top right box, only move it bottom left. Maybe make a picture for helmet on/helmet off etc.

19. Post #19
    October 2009
    5,852 Posts
    i like the hud

20. Post #20
    July 2008
    2,213 Posts
    i like the hud
    When I posted the screenshots wouldn't load.

I must admit it looks alot better with his resolution, over this one

21. Post #21
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    Sorry about the problems with the higher resolutions, its just really hard to get it scaled correctly for a resolution that I can't access.
    If you could try and tweak the HUD to fix it, that would be awesome if you could post the code that was modified.
    To make it fit better you can try and adjust the HUD.EyeVectorOffset and the HUD.ModelScale variables to suit which are at the top of the file and in the think hook.
    Then to reload the HUD, run the concommand env_hud_reload.

Pantho: The reason your hud looks like that is because it isn't scaled 100% correctly. Your resolution is 1920x1028, which I have mostly working, but not perfected.

22. Post #22
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    IMPORTANT:Update your SVN's, I just made an important bug fix that gets rid of possible massive lag buildup if LS3 air compressors were used.

23. Post #23
    April 2007
    151 Posts
    I'm excited about this. If you've created something better than the Spacebuild/Life Support system we've been using, you've done something amazing.
    I haven't tested this out yet (Steam is updating), so I'm not entirely sure how this works.. but I'd like to know how to change the helmet key binding. I've had F2 set to the Weld tool for years, and I don't want to lose that.
    I looked around the lua files, but I don't know a damn thing about it.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    This looks very awesome. Will try this out, and visit the server.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,971 Posts
    Damn , the server latency is 200
    Europe , anyone?

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    Oh, and I tipped off the SBEP guys about this thread. I suspect they'll come and snoop around in a few hours.
    Edited:

Aw man, I pressed Reply instead of Edit...
    Edited:

Oh, oh, question.
    How are you checking what's "inside" the ship?

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,971 Posts
    Sorry for my stupidity , but I didnt understand , should you install Life Support 3 core or not?
    Never played Spacebuild because of that addons mess , but this looks awesome

28. Post #28
    December 2009
    8,764 Posts
    The HUD looks awesome. Great job. One Lua king awarded

29. Post #29
    July 2008
    2,213 Posts
    Oh, and I tipped off the SBEP guys about this thread. I suspect they'll come and snoop around in a few hours.
    Edited:

Aw man, I pressed Reply instead of Edit...
    Edited:

Oh, oh, question.
    How are you checking what's "inside" the ship?
    I'm having issues with SBEP.

The help files where having a very weird lua error which I managed to fix, however the menu's for door tools (all stools actually) won't load so you cannot select a door.

About europe server, I do plan to host one but I was hoping to fix SBEP stools problem first.

@ Superstepa -

Install
    LS3 - Entities
    RD3
    CAF
    SB3
    Environments

http://bans.bybservers.co.uk/ttt1/addons.zip
    p
    This contains RD3/LS3-Entites/CAF - Which are the required addons for Clients to join.
    I would advise using SVN, but I threw those 3 addons into a zip for ease when directing my test puppets.

Open SB3 folder, delete the LUA directory.

Those are the steps I took to get a base server working with this mod.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    I'm having issues with SBEP.

The help files where having a very weird lua error which I managed to fix, however the menu's for door tools (all stools actually) won't load so you cannot select a door.

About europe server, I do plan to host one but I was hoping to fix SBEP stools problem first.

@ Superstepa -

Install
    LS3 - Entities
    RD3
    CAF
    SB3
    Environments

http://bans.bybservers.co.uk/ttt1/addons.zip
    p
    This contains RD3/LS3-Entites/CAF - Which are the required addons for Clients to join.
    I would advise using SVN, but I threw those 3 addons into a zip for ease when directing my test puppets.

Open SB3 folder, delete the LUA directory.

Those are the steps I took to get a base server working with this mod.
    I'm guessing this is server only then, because when I tried using this addon together with SBEP, Environments spewed errors but SBEP was fine.

In fact, that only thing that DID work was the space-suit. Not the HUD, not the LS-core, nothing else.

Edited:

Same here. Except neither Zero gravity and vacuum death outside planets or the suit worked for me
    That too.

31. Post #31
    December 2009
    8,764 Posts
    I'm guessing this is server only then, because when I tried using this addon together with SBEP, Environments spewed errors but SBEP was fine.

In fact, that only thing that DID work was the space-suit. Not the HUD, not the LS-core, nothing else.
    Same here. Except neither Zero gravity and vacuum death outside planets or the suit worked for me

32. Post #32
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    You guys mind posting the errors you are having so I can assist with them? You can feel free to add me on steam if you need immediate support.

33. Post #33
    December 2009
    8,764 Posts
    [Addons\environment\lua\entities\score\init.lua:159] Attempt to index field 'environment' (a nill value)

I get that when i activate the core. As for the suit, Nothing happens when i press F2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    O.o forgot an equals sign, update should fix all issues now.

Edited:

oops found the other one, should work now, another update

Edited:

I'm excited about this. If you've created something better than the Spacebuild/Life Support system we've been using, you've done something amazing.
    I haven't tested this out yet (Steam is updating), so I'm not entirely sure how this works.. but I'd like to know how to change the helmet key binding. I've had F2 set to the Weld tool for years, and I don't want to lose that.
    I looked around the lua files, but I don't know a damn thing about it.
    Ok, on line 55 of environments/lua/environments/core/sv_environments.lua there are the words "ShowTeam" to change it off of f2 change it to "ShowSpare1" for f3, or "ShowSpare2" for f4.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    December 2009
    8,764 Posts
    O.o forgot an equals sign, update should fix all issues now.

Edited:

oops found the other one, should work now, another update

Edited:

Ok, on line 55 of environments/lua/environments/core/sv_environments.lua there is the words "ShowTeam" to change it off of f2 change it to "ShowSpare1" for f3, or "ShowSpare2" for f4.
    Always the small things. Thanks anyway. Fast fix

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    It works now, cheers.

On to real issues!

1. HUD appears on external cameras as well. Not a big issue, but you know...

2. The HUD font looks weird in HD resolution (1920x1080).

3. I can't help but notice that you use two combine elite models when the helmet is on. To optimize, just inflate the head of the elite ragdoll to normal size when the helmet button is pressed.

Edited:

More errors D:

Code:
    Timer Error: [addons\sb_env\lua\environments\core\sv_environments_players.lua:102] attempt to index field 'air' (a nil value)
    This happened after I pasted a small, parented ship saved with TB's duplicator (which fucked up) and removed everything manually. It seems to have completely crashed the addon.

37. Post #37
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    If something like that happens, just run the concommand env_server_reload, it will fix it when the entities that make it work get screwed up. I am working on making this not happen in cases like these. I need to find out what is causing it first.

38. Post #38
    April 2007
    151 Posts
    Ok, on line 55 of environments/lua/environments/core/sv_environments.lua there are the words "ShowTeam" to change it off of f2 change it to "ShowSpare1" for f3, or "ShowSpare2" for f4.
    Thank you.
    I'll have to shuffle my keybindings around a bit, but this should work.

Edit: Keybinding doesn't work, and the HUD is distorted at 1280x720

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/apostrophe_jesus/sb_gooniverse0000.jpg

39. Post #39
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    Thank you.
    I'll have to shuffle my keybindings around a bit, but this should work.

Edit: Keybinding doesn't work, and the HUD is distorted at 1280x720

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/apostrophe_jesus/sb_gooniverse0000.jpg
    I will make an update tomorrow that will fix the hud with your resolution. Also, the button that toggles the hud isn't actually a bind, its a gamemode hook that runs when you hit that button, and can only be changed on the server, not on the client. I wouldn't recommend binding anything to f1-f4 because those are commonly used by many gamemodes.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    957 Posts
    Could you add a fix for 1920x1200 as well?
    Apart from the small HUD issue it's quite interesting to use though