1. Post #441
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,021 Posts
    I made raspberry chipotle chicken with wild rice and corn last night for my girlfriend's birthday. Didn't think to get a picture though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #442
    ☂☂☂☂ ☂☂☂ ☂☂ _☂_
    January 2005
    22,299 Posts
    reindeer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 5Zing Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #443
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts
    And plan to make a Smoked/marinated chicken breast served with wheatberrys and fruit salsa next weekend. It caught my eye in my text book and I figure I'd make it.

Was good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #444
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,001 Posts
    reindeer
    what sauce is that? looks like some kind of mayonnaise
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

5. Post #445
    ☂☂☂☂ ☂☂☂ ☂☂ _☂_
    January 2005
    22,299 Posts
    pepper sauce by erik lallerstedt
    http://www.erikssaser.se/saser.html

it's awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

6. Post #446
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    reindeer
    Looks good man, I like the use of crinkle cut chips.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #447
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    malaysian beef and potato yellow curry, in my new slow cooker!

the beef

browned beef and onions in the pot

frying the yellow curry paste

curry paste, coconut milk and spices (cinnamon stick, green cardamom, black cardamom, star anise and some cloves) in the cooker

finished! yum

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #448
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    597 Posts
    I have yet to try curry, but I prefer making it the first time cause I don't know where to order some out.
    What's a basic recipe for a simple curry I can eat with white rice?

9. Post #449
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    do you like curries made with coconut? and i don't mean milky, weak curries (like korma, which i can't stand), this one i made has a real bite to it, and it's very easy

1. brown the beef and onions
    2. fry the curry paste in a little oil, then once the aromas are being released, add the can of coconut milk
    3. add all to pan/slow cooker and leave to simmer (add the spices at this point, but you don't have to add many of them, i just love them all in this curry) for an hour (or 4-5 hours in the slow cooker)
    4. chop up a potato and add for the last 1/4 of cooking time
    5. boil rice and serve up

~voila~

yellow curry paste can be a bit harder to get hold of though, but i imagine you could do red/green thai curries with chicken and mangetout in a similiar fashion!

10. Post #450
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    I have yet to try curry, but I prefer making it the first time cause I don't know where to order some out.
    What's a basic recipe for a simple curry I can eat with white rice?
    I don't know the full recipie but I do know that the base for any good curry is Chilli, Ginger and Garlic. usually for a massala paste. A good indian chef taught me that.

do you like curries made with coconut? and i don't mean milky, weak curries (like korma, which i can't stand), this one i made has a real bite to it, and it's very easy

1. brown the beef and onions
    2. fry the curry paste in a little oil, then once the aromas are being released, add the can of coconut milk
    3. add all to pan/slow cooker and leave to simmer (add the spices at this point, but you don't have to add many of them, i just love them all in this curry) for an hour (or 4-5 hours in the slow cooker)
    4. chop up a potato and add for the last 1/4 of cooking time
    5. boil rice and serve up

~voila~

yellow curry paste can be a bit harder to get hold of though, but i imagine you could do red/green thai curries with chicken and mangetout in a similiar fashion!
    Correct me if i'm wrong but isnt it mainly Thai curries that use coconut? And i never would have thought of a curry in a slow cooker, I usually make a stew in ours. But you've given me an idea.

11. Post #451
    September 2007
    1,006 Posts
    Many south Indian curries incorporate coconuts into the gravy (my mom even throws in coconut strips once in a while). I would imagine the same is true for other South Asian countries.

12. Post #452
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    I can't stand coconut, not the taste, just the consistency.

I made some Bruschetta last night ill post that in a bit when I get home. Living in China I can't really get the correct bread for it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #453
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,410 Posts
    curries are like the easiest things to make too, it's basically pasta but replace cream w/ coconut cream + rice w/ pasta
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #454
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    Correct me if i'm wrong but isnt it mainly Thai curries that use coconut? And i never would have thought of a curry in a slow cooker, I usually make a stew in ours. But you've given me an idea.
    yes, but like i said, this is a malaysian curry, and malaysia draws a lot of culinary influence from thailand

Edited:

curries are like the easiest things to make too, it's basically pasta but replace cream w/ coconut cream + rice w/ pasta
    i'd like to try a more tomato based curry, or at least i imagine that's what a lot of indian curries are based on? something simple like a bhuna i think.

Edited:

i'm very wrong!

seems yoghurt is the base, very interesting!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ch...withpila_67271

15. Post #455
    February 2010
    1,255 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TitliNihaan

I use this ladys channel to make all my currys.
    Her madras is very nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #456
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    yes, but like i said, this is a malaysian curry, and malaysia draws a lot of culinary influence from thailand

Edited:

i'd like to try a more tomato based curry, or at least i imagine that's what a lot of indian curries are based on? something simple like a bhuna i think.

Edited:

i'm very wrong!

seems yoghurt is the base, very interesting!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ch...withpila_67271
    A curry is about as far east as ill go really. Besides the rice that is. I shamefully stuck to western food when I was in Phucket in Thailand and Boracay in the Phillipenes. Even when I go to Hong Kong I go get a nice plump steak and here in China the only chinese food I try is home cooking from one of the girls in the office. I might take some pictures of the wierd and wonderful that i find over here and post them.

Anyway here is the bruschetta that I made.. Forgive the lack of herbs people. I don't have any in my fridge and I cant ask for it in a shop I dont know how to. I added chilli for a kick instead witha bit of garlic. Tasted ok, could have been better with the right ingredients

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #457
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    but china has such wonderful food! :(

put me right off british attempts at it when i got home

18. Post #458
    ☂☂☂☂ ☂☂☂ ☂☂ _☂_
    January 2005
    22,299 Posts
    wtf

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

19. Post #459
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    but china has such wonderful food! :(

put me right off british attempts at it when i got home
    Your right Chinese in the UK isn't Chinese. All the girls I know that go to the UK struggle to find something on those menus but yeah besides the fish head hotpots and chickens feet soups it can be ok. The girl in the office that cooks for us is the only chinese cooking i trust. I dont try anything else because i dont know what I'm ordering. I dont fully speak the language yet. I have to point at a picture menu like a tard in mcdonalds!

Where abouts in China did you go to?

20. Post #460
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,001 Posts
    try Cantharellus with bacon! :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #461
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    Just out of curiosity why did you part your food? I dunno what you made but it looks tasty. Bacon needs more crisp on it for me though

Thought i'd share this photo, would love to see some of you lot cook with it. never used it myself it looks awful but I imagine its the same as black pasta. managed to resize this photo :)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #462
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    Where abouts in China did you go to?
    uh, well we started in hong kong, then (in roughly this order)

yangshuo/guilin
    cheng du
    chong qing
    dazu
    long'ji/ping'an
    xi'an
    3 gorges
    shanghai
    beijing

for 3 weeks. amazing country

23. Post #463
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    uh, well we started in hong kong, then (in roughly this order)

yangshuo/guilin
    cheng du
    chong qing
    dazu
    long'ji/ping'an
    xi'an
    3 gorges
    shanghai
    beijing

for 3 weeks. amazing country
    You've been to some nice places then! you ever going back? and while in beijing did you walk down the street withall the food vendors? never seen so much different street food in my life. Sichuan is a place I want to go, I hear its amazing for food. My dad brought a bag of spice back that an old lady gave him to put on potatoes and its amazingly good.

Hong Kong is my favorite city. great places to eat shame its so expensive I've only been to Xi'an and Beijing not including the outlying cities around the one I live in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #464
    ☂☂☂☂ ☂☂☂ ☂☂ _☂_
    January 2005
    22,299 Posts
    Just out of curiosity why did you part your food? I dunno what you made but it looks tasty. Bacon needs more crisp on it for me though
    what do you mean exactly with "part your food"?
    it's just bacon, chanterelles, broccolio and corn. i didn't make the bacon crisp because i wanted them to cook in the fluids from the chanterelles, awesome taste.

Thought i'd share this photo, would love to see some of you lot cook with it. never used it myself it looks awful but I imagine its the same as black pasta. managed to resize this photo :)

what is that? a creature?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

25. Post #465
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    You've been to some nice places then! you ever going back? and while in beijing did you walk down the street withall the food vendors? never seen so much different street food in my life. Sichuan is a place I want to go, I hear its amazing for food. My dad brought a bag of spice back that an old lady gave him to put on potatoes and its amazingly good.

Hong Kong is my favorite city. great places to eat shame its so expensive I've only been to Xi'an and Beijing not including the outlying cities around the one I live in.
    i'll probably go back at some point. not in a big rush yet though. done a lot of the travelling i want to, minus south america, and once i graduate (situation providing) i'll do a 6 month stint back in asia <3

26. Post #466
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    what do you mean exactly with "part your food"?
    it's just bacon, chanterelles, broccolio and corn. i didn't make the bacon crisp because i wanted them to cook in the fluids from the chanterelles, awesome taste.

what is that? a creature?
    You just seemed to have the meat on one side and veg on the other. It looked interesting! Yeah its a black chicken. Not sure if there is any difference from a regular Chicken. Might buy one and see what the deal with it is.

i'll probably go back at some point. not in a big rush yet though. done a lot of the travelling i want to, minus south america, and once i graduate (situation providing) i'll do a 6 month stint back in asia <3
    Asia is a lovely part of the world. Gonna save up and travel next year i think too. I want to go to somewhere like south america for the food, North america too because I watch too much Man vs Food

27. Post #467
    February 2010
    1,255 Posts
    talking about travelling I havent done any but seems like you two know a thing or 2.
    End of this year I graduate I want to travel I have 2 options A) I do the camp america and travel longer after it.
    B) go to brazil and stay with a friend Im not sure how much ill save if I do the camp america do you guys know anyone who has been on it?

Cooking - making a tikka masala tonight but one of those shitty in the jar ones. Ill cook a proper curry next week and take some photos

28. Post #468
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    is that with Bunac?

29. Post #469
    ☂☂☂☂ ☂☂☂ ☂☂ _☂_
    January 2005
    22,299 Posts
    You just seemed to have the meat on one side and veg on the other. It looked interesting! Yeah its a black chicken. Not sure if there is any difference from a regular Chicken. Might buy one and see what the deal with it is.
    ah no that was unintentional. never heard of black chickens really
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #470
    February 2010
    1,255 Posts
    is that with Bunac?
    No but I know various "companies" who offer the service.

Still not sure what to do.

31. Post #471
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    talking about travelling I havent done any but seems like you two know a thing or 2.
    End of this year I graduate I want to travel I have 2 options A) I do the camp america and travel longer after it.
    B) go to brazil and stay with a friend Im not sure how much ill save if I do the camp america do you guys know anyone who has been on it?

Cooking - making a tikka masala tonight but one of those shitty in the jar ones. Ill cook a proper curry next week and take some photos
    I got a couple of friends on it, I'll see if they say anything good about it.

Post the recpie please when you cook it. I might give it a go too, I have a massive range of spices available here if nothing else.

32. Post #472
    February 2010
    1,255 Posts
    I got a couple of friends on it, I'll see if they say anything good about it.

Post the recpie please when you cook it. I might give it a go too, I have a massive range of spices available here if nothing else.
    Cheers will be sometime next week. Ill stick the recipe up later.

33. Post #473
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    New one for you here, a concoction of spices rubbed on to some chicken fried with thinly sliced bell pepper and served with some cream, cheesy mash with some garlic and spring onions mixed in.

Forgive the quality im working with an iphone here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #474
    September 2007
    1,006 Posts
    New one for you here, a concoction of spices rubbed on to some chicken fried with thinly sliced bell pepper and served with some cream, cheesy mash with some garlic and spring onions mixed in.

Forgive the quality im working with an iphone here.
    That looks amazing!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #475
    August 2009
    7,895 Posts
    Made this on the 25th, It's supposedly "Olive garden Style" Pasta e Fagioli

Tasted really good

Made this just now, yummy Onion Rings

IT HURTS TO LIVE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #476
    Hap
    Test Victim #1
    March 2005
    1,002 Posts
    Some nice rib-eye fillet with veggies and mashed potatoes:

A simple bowl of rice, tomato, and fried chicken with some spicy teriyaki sauce:

Hey, another quick chicken/rice/teriyaki meal, this time with La Choy crunchy noodles, and ginger:

Girlfriend & I made BLTs with oven roasted new red potatoes/onions:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #477
    October 2010
    2,100 Posts
    Mmmm October is pie season

Pie by Sumap1, on Flickr

Pie! by Sumap1, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #478
    Hap
    Test Victim #1
    March 2005
    1,002 Posts
    Mmmm October is pie season

Pie by Sumap1, on Flickr

Pie! by Sumap1, on Flickr
    Do you have a recipe for this? It looks incredibly good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

39. Post #479
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    395 Posts
    snip

40. Post #480
    October 2010
    2,100 Posts
    Do you have a recipe for this? It looks incredibly good.
    http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/19...flavored_crust
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)