About as smart and adept as a pile of turds
    January 2010
    3,454 Posts
    steak at medium-medium rare
    hamgurgers at medium-medium well

also

what the fuck
    "HEY GUYS LETS BOIL SOME DORITOS"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

2. Post #762
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,652 Posts
    My take on onion soup

red onion, white onion, 4 gloves of garlic, sage, thyme, half a bottle of red wine, parma, pecorino and cheddar cheese with worcestershire sauce and some stonebaked rye bread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #763
    October 2009
    5,009 Posts
    I make a great Rosso Spaghetti, not looking to brag.

Half boiled pasta with ketchup, since I'm a horrible cook.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

4. Post #764
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,608 Posts
    Friend showed me a video on how to make these. Absoltuely amazing.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #765
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    4,835 Posts
    My texas meal. Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy.

First dinner i cooked... I think it came out well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #766
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,031 Posts
    So I found out about this neat little breakfast casserole sorta thing and made it.

Basically, you take croissant roll dough, layer it on the bottom and sides of an oven.. pan thing (that you make brownies in etc), then put eggs, ham, whatever, layer it again with the dough, put eggs again or stop, bake it, put in fridge if any leftover to nuke in the morning

it tastes like amazing and I'll grab some pictures tomorrow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #767
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    424 Posts

what is it?

8. Post #768
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,608 Posts
    what is it?
    Some carrots some onions slowly done in a bunch of olive oil. I think I was cooking them four roughly 40 minutes or so, with some theme and rosemary. But have to say, I've never actually had carrots I liked more. There's so little because I used a small pan to test.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

9. Post #769
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,652 Posts

I had a go at making them too

really good, only ate a few though for lunch. Going to reheat the rest tomorrow with some American styled hash.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

10. Post #770
    hey
    August 2006
    5,303 Posts
    horrible photo because my camera is generally bad and it doesn't have flash so i have to use an ISO filter:

beef stew that was slowly cooked in a crock pot with potatoes, carrots, peas, onions, etc, with a nice savory sauce and a chunk of really dense (and fresh and moist) brown/black bread as a side

11. Post #771
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    i found a big fruiting blackberry bush at the end of our street, and since it was out on public property i went up there and picked a good few - it seemed no one else was taking advantage of it!

so i made an apple & blackberry pie for me and my housemates. i cheated and used ready-to-roll pastry, but that kept it a very simple thing to do!

the pastry's already been rolled and put into my little ceramic dish, and there's a layer of blackberries, sliced apple (granny smith, since i only went to the spar and they don't sell cooking apples) and another layer of blackberries, with just a little sugar sprinkled on top

i thought i'd try being a bit fancy and making a lattice top thing. i'm not sure if you're meant to properly weave them in and out, but like i said, this was a quick job!

all corners trimmed and pushed into place, brushed with some milk and a little more sugar sprinkled over

ta-da!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 5Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

12. Post #772
    October 2011
    159 Posts
    FUCK this thread just made me so hungry
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #773
    My texas meal. Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy.

First dinner i cooked... I think it came out well.
    Bro, we have the same keyboard. :V:

Edited:

i found a big fruiting blackberry bush at the end of our street, and since it was out on public property i went up there and picked a good few - it seemed no one else was taking advantage of it!

so i made an apple & blackberry pie for me and my housemates. i cheated and used ready-to-roll pastry, but that kept it a very simple thing to do!

the pastry's already been rolled and put into my little ceramic dish, and there's a layer of blackberries, sliced apple (granny smith, since i only went to the spar and they don't sell cooking apples) and another layer of blackberries, with just a little sugar sprinkled on top

i thought i'd try being a bit fancy and making a lattice top thing. i'm not sure if you're meant to properly weave them in and out, but like i said, this was a quick job!

all corners trimmed and pushed into place, brushed with some milk and a little more sugar sprinkled over

That looks amazing!

ta-da!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #774
    Sorta off topic but any culinary students here?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events

15. Post #775
    March 2010
    7,896 Posts

There was another one, but I ate it before I took the picture. I like never cook, so this is a masterpiece for me. Bacon and egg on half a bagel, with some pepper and tabasco sauce on top. It was pretty damn delicious. This is just practice though cuz tomorrow night I have to cook dinner for my girlfriend. Gonna do eggs Benedict. Just gonna pick up a packet of hollandaise sauce mix so I shouldn't fuck up too bad. I've been really obsessed with eggs though lately.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

16. Post #776
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,652 Posts
    that looks good, we've got a black berry bush (well used to, not sure now) in our back garden and one down the road. We've also got strawberries which is great when they ripen, deliciously sweet.

A nice tip is to freeze the fruit you find and then blend them with a little milk and sugar to make some super quick icecream.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #777
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    4,835 Posts
    Bro, we have the same keyboard. :V:
    Well, I'd imagine its pretty common seeing as how it came with all the HP keyboards at the store.

Also to shian my brother WAS a culinary student if that is fine. Don't talk to him that much though

18. Post #778
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,031 Posts

beef

it's what's for dinner

Edited:

the aftermath
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #779
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,417 Posts
    What did you do to it :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

20. Post #780
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,417 Posts
    Lobsters were $3.99 a pound so I'm making lobster bisque right now

Every time I have to take apart a lobster I am reminded what horrible, horrible monsters they are
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

21. Post #781
    May 2011
    2,016 Posts

beef

it's what's for dinner

Edited:

the aftermath
    You not only killed it, you harrased it and raped its family.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

22. Post #782
    COXXINATOR
    August 2005
    126 Posts
    I made some black pudding bread. It turned our really well; slight flavour throughout the bread from oil coming out into the dough then you get nice chunks aswell.
    I mostly had it toasted but I grilled some cheese on top and had it with onion soup too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #783
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,031 Posts
    You not only killed it, you harrased it and raped its family.
    i will be certain to pass your remarks on beef stuff for dinner to the chef

it was tasty as fuck and i don't give a damn what it looks like

24. Post #784
    My family has this recipe its like pancake balls, you dip em in sugar and what not. Its amazing/awsome for a breakfast thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #785
    August 2009
    592 Posts
    I can't cook at all but I am only 13 and my mum cooks all my meals, mostly composing of frozen fish fingers, mash and peas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

26. Post #786
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    515 Posts
    Lay's Potato Chips and green onion dip, delicous
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #787
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,652 Posts
    i will be certain to pass your remarks on beef stuff for dinner to the chef

it was tasty as fuck and i don't give a damn what it looks like
    should of done it some justice and cooked it medium at least :(

what was the sauce it was cooked in? Looks like a onion gravy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #788
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,031 Posts
    it was indeed an onion gravy
    it was fantastic so I had some of the gravy today.

Sliced turkey sliced even smaller. Not bad, not amazing.
    because I wanted potatoes with it and couldn't find anything but hash browns, took them, made some.
    Then I figured I might as well use some of the leftover bread.

It was quite fucking tasty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #789
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,720 Posts
    i finally made scrambled eggs the chef ramsay way and i'll admit that's the only true eggs i've ever tasted, a little too buttery (i added too much) but sooo delicious, too bad i didn't have sour dough bread to stick it on

30. Post #790
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,608 Posts
    Was scrounging in the freezer for leftovers and found a cube of spinach and a small leftover piece of turkey.

I think it turned out quite well. I think I bought thep asta itself last saturday on a farmer's market.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

31. Post #791
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,652 Posts
    I still think it looks a bit like salmon

heres the dinner I helped my mum with; falafels with garlic and lemon chicken, lemon and coriander couscous, rye bread and a side of salad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #792
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,696 Posts

Made some chilli con carne. Really good, really underestimated food
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Portugal Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #793
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,716 Posts

This is one of my favorite recipes I ever learned from FoodWishes. (Yeah, it's half of a pork chop, not a full one. I decided to snap a pic on the second portion, not my first )

I mean, how I cook it is nothing like how he cooks it, aside from the gravy. The pork chops are just your run of the mill pork chops (tenderized, seasoned, floured, breaded, baked.) The gravy is a roux with a generous amount of pepper and cayenne, and I like to add a bit of Brother Bru-Bru's hot sauce (this is my favorite hot sauce. goes good on everything. mix it in with your ketchup for a nice dip for your fries. hamburger seasoner. etc)

Veggies in the gravy are sliced chives, diced dill pickles, and jalapenos that are julienne cut. (I like to sneak some seeds into the gravy to make it really spicy.)

This is a real great thing though. The gravy takes about 30 minutes to make, and 15 of that is cutting the veggies. The rest is ensuring that you don't have too much flour or milk so it has the consistency of gravy.

And it's fucking delicious.

I served it with green beans and rolls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

34. Post #794
    May 2009
    1,531 Posts
    Never really posted in this sub section before, even though I am quite fond of cooking. Here's a vindaloo I made from scratch today, with a twist of my own spices and chilies. Gonna hope this doesn't return in the morning :S
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

35. Post #795
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,652 Posts
    more steak aaaaaaa

made it with some wedges roasted in goosefat and did some shallots and mushrooms in white wine

I wanna make duck confit next week, does anyone know if you can buy jarred/canned duck thighs in fat in the UK?

Edited:

well I found a site but would be nicer to get it in the store

http://www.marketquarter.com/collections/confits
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #796
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,608 Posts
    Just finished making some zuccini spread. It's a pretty good alternative at times from just grabbing some butter on bread or something. Plus there's almost no work involved.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #797
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    4,710 Posts
    not that i dont put hot sauce on everything, but this elk meat was especially good in a sandwich

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #798
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    wow that does not look too appetising in that picture...

but i can't quite tell, is it a mince you have there or just little chunks? how do you cook it, do you fry it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #799
    December 2009
    718 Posts

Oh my, that was so good. Scrambled eggs with cabbage, tomato, cucumber and mushroom salad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

40. Post #800
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    greek meatballs with yoghurt (and salad)

ingredients
    500g lamb mince
    100g saltpork (but since we don't get that in the UK - afaik - i substituted it for bacon i had in the fridge. pancetta would probably be even better)
    1 large shallot (i substituted for half a white onion)
    1 jabanero chilli, seeded and minced (i don't know what type of chilli i bought)
    zest of one orange
    1 clove of crushed garlic
    2 tbsp mint (recipe called for fresh, but i only used dried)
    yoghurt to serve (i had greek, plain would probably be just as good if not better)

lightly fry the shallot/onion, chilli and garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil, for about 1 minute. leave to cool

put all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl and gently mix until it's all evenly distributed, season with pepper

shape into 1 1/4" balls, i made 26, but it depends how tightly you roll and pack them. i would say smaller is better than larger, as they'll cook faster and more evenly, but whatever you feel comfortable with

cook on a medium/medium-high heat in a frying pan (thicker bottomed better) until browned on all sides. it took me longer than i was expecting (10+ minutes) to get them all done. you'll also want to do them in batches, so they don't overcrowd the pan. i served mine with some chopped iceberg and cucumber (i love cucumber) and greek yoghurt with a little cucumber and mint mixed in. yum!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1Zing Zing x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)