1. Post #201
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,013 Posts
    Kirkland products are from Costco, yep.

Edited:

Also a vegetarian, I generally eat a lot of pasta and I'm wondering about ways to add protein to a delicious pasta dish?

Edited:

I'm a really big fan of almond milk, you should try that. (if you haven't already.)
    Learn to make Seitan (Wheat Gluten) it's really good.

Edited:

Get some beef / chicken vegetarian flavoured powder from a store and vital wheat gluten (might be called gluten flour) and MSG and get back to me!

2. Post #202
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    18,058 Posts
    I love this:

Pictured: Pine nut-crusted cheese with roasted pepper. That grilled cheese is just pure love to my tongue.

When I feel like eating vegetarian I usually just go with lots of vegetables and shit. I don't really dig fake meat like soy and stuff. I do love me some Ranch on top of my veggies though. I once ate 1kg of vegetables on a restaurant, it's lovely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #203
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    I like making this pastry that has pumpkin, goat's cheese (fetta usually), rosemary, red onion sauce and prosciutto. I want to make it for my girlfriend except she is vegetarian. What would be a good substitute for the prosciutto?

4. Post #204
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,697 Posts
    They didn't have almond milk in the supermarket I went to :frown:
    They have it in aldi though so I'll try there next! :keke:

Gonna try some vegan cheeses too, if I have the spare money. I'm so limited for things I can eat, but I still eat pretty well. Here's my regular diet that I make sure to have:

• 2.5L of water.
    • Litte as possible amount of carbohydrates (While still being healthy) (Nuts/fruit/whole grain bread, reducing processed grains i.e tortillas/white bread/white rice)
    • Eat nuts every day.
    • Lots of fruit.
    • Balanced evening meal (I.e. Mushrooms/Spices/Vegetables/Potatoes)
    • I plan to eat more vegetales i.e. raw celery/raw carrots

5. Post #205
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,018 Posts
    I love this:

Pictured: Pine nut-crusted cheese with roasted pepper. That grilled cheese is just pure love to my tongue.
    Grilled cheese kind of destroys any health benefit of eating vegetarian.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #206
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,056 Posts
    I have to admit, I'm no vegetarian, since I like a steak like almost anyone else. But at times a veg dish is completely fine. The truth is a completely vegetarian cousine isn't the most healthy from people with euro descents. Since we're set up for a diet of meat, fruits, seeds and nuts in a way. Also have a far better tolerance for milk.

The last is often clearly visible in old home remedies. While many old european ones tend to call for milk with honey and similar for colds. Asian ones tend to avoid fresh liquid milk and claim it causes issues.

Falafels are godly :)

Though there's a pertty simple way to prepare brocolli or green beans which I know a lot of people don't use.
    Essentially you lightly brown a few clowes of garlic on olive oil, add the vegetable of your choice. A tiny bit later add some milk and keep cooking it until most evaporates. Once that is done just add parmesan and keep it in for a minute or two longer.
    Serve with knackerbrot.

7. Post #207
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,949 Posts
    I'll have to try some of these meals because they look very good, trying to cut back on my meat intake.

8. Post #208
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    8,823 Posts
    Spinach and mushroom goes great on so many things. It's probably one of my favorite vegetarian meal choices.

9. Post #209
    December 2007
    393 Posts
    Made some pretty nice veggie-burgers from scratch earlier, they where made of chickpeas, kidney beans and some boiled potatoes mashed together, along with some onion, garlic, an egg and breadcrumbs. Had to be really careful while frying them, and the first two fell apart, but they were delicious!

I've been eating vegetarian for ~5 weeks now and it feels pretty good, it's kinda complicated though since I moved back home to my parents, and I think they're getting annoyed since it conflicts with the normal food routine.

10. Post #210
    June 2011
    6 Posts
    Looks really nice and healthy.

11. Post #211
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,121 Posts
    Being veggie is damned hard when there is literally no food in the house, i'm eating crackers and olive spread :(

12. Post #212
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,467 Posts
    i live in a veggie house, and our fridge is nearly always full to capacity! it is no excuse to have no food in the house!

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #213
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,013 Posts
    if you don't have any food you're doing something wrong, there are so many incredibly cheap things you can buy to make loads of food

14. Post #214
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #215
    March 2008
    71 Posts
    if you don't have any food you're doing something wrong, there are so many incredibly cheap things you can buy to make loads of food
    Agreed, cooking with veg and fruits is great and is cheap, meat is suitable for a weekly treat.

Ngh, i must make curried Cauliflower now.

16. Post #216
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,907 Posts
    Falafel is fucking good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,566 Posts
    I've tried on several times to cut meat and most dairy products out of my diet (mostly for health reasons, that and I when I think about it I never really liked it all that much), problem is my dad and my sister both eat meat and such and my dad thinks not eating meat is weird so I mostly subsist on fruit and nuts or just say fuck it and eat what they're eating. It's actually mildly frightening to me that most of the food in our house has meat in it except for the junk food.

18. Post #218
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,452 Posts
    Falafel Ingredients:

1 cup dry chickpeas
    1 small onion
    5 cloves of garlic
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    6 tablespoons flour
    Oil for frying
    Spices: salt, fresh cumin, coriander, hot pepper to taste

That's basically the recipe for Falafel. Mostly the stuff that makes it different is how you cook it and the quality of the ingredients.

Got this off the interwebs too: (this is how you cook them)

First, soak the chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) in plenty of water overnight. If you haven't got the time, use canned chickpeas (for this recipe one 15-oz can, drained, should do). In a food processor, finely chop the onions, garlic, parsley and cilantro. If your food processor is large, you can then add the chickpeas as well. Otherwise, mash the chickpeas up in a large bowl and then throw in the onion/herb mixture. Add your spices: about 2 teaspoons of cumin, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of coriander. I like to throw in a little hot pepper too when my wife isn't looking! Finally, mix in the flour andbaking powder, which will make the mix into more of a dough. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
    After waiting patiently for at least two hours (it's important!), remove the falafel mix from the refrigerator. In a large pot, heat up vegetable oil for frying, careful not to let it smoke too much. To form the falafel balls, I use two spoons and gently slip them into the oil one by one. It takes just a couple of minutes to deep fry each side. Remove onto some paper towels.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #219
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    11,000 Posts
    I don't get people who acts like if you eat any vegan food, you turn into one. I fucking love hummus, falafel, etc. But I wouldn't be able to live without my bacon and chicken.

Edited:

I love this:

When I feel like eating vegetarian I usually just go with lots of vegetables and shit. I don't really dig fake meat like soy and stuff. I do love me some Ranch on top of my veggies though. I once ate 1kg of vegetables on a restaurant, it's lovely.
    Recipe, now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #220
    June 2011
    186 Posts
    Thanks for this thread. I'm a vegetarian and plan to try more food than the crap that I eat now lol.

21. Post #221
    August 2009
    7,895 Posts
    if i use chicken bouillon in something is it no longer vegetarian?

22. Post #222
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    8,823 Posts
    Because you have to kill an animal to make it, it isn't vegetarian.

23. Post #223
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,013 Posts
    there are vegetarian 'chicken' broth powders available, not sure where you live, but Fred Meyers has them available in the bulk spices section.

24. Post #224
    December 2007
    393 Posts
    Just tried the recipe for the Broccoli soup, thank you so much for that.
    It's was delicious and yet so simple.
    I had fresh chives from our garden, a garlic clove and some cheese in it and ate it with Swedish hard bread.

Thumbs up for that one!

25. Post #225
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,045 Posts
    It's actually mildly frightening to me that most of the food in our house has meat in it except for the junk food.
    How is that frightening in any way?

26. Post #226
    December 2007
    393 Posts
    We really need more about beans here, most people just focus on soy beans when thinking vegetarian.
    And sure, soy is a great source for protein and it's used to made lots of things, like tofu, tempeh, soy sauce, and lots of the veggie nuggets and other products you can buy in the store contains soy.
    But soy production plays a big role in rainforest deforestation in south America, and it's far from the only choice if you want a protein source.

So as a little promotion for other kinds of beans I'm gonna post a recipe for a vegetarian chilli (Chilli sin carne!).

Ingredients
    1-2 Yellow onions
    1 Red onion
    1-2 Bell peppers yellow or red (optional)
    1 Stronger chili pepper fruit
    2-3 Can (~400g per can) of different beans
    (I usually go with Kidney and Cannellini beans, but Black or white beans work well, pretty much any kind I guess)
    ~400g Crushed tomato
    1 Can of corn (optional)
    A few fresh garlic cloves
    Normal pepper and salt
    Chili and/or paprika powder
    If you want you can also have some cumin or garam masala in it for taste
    Start with cutting the onions, bell pepper, chili fruit and the garlic into small pieces, then throw them in a pot with some oil until it gets some colour. Then add all the spices and mix it. Then add the tomato along with the beans (and corn) and then let it cook on medium to low heat for 20-30 minutes. Make sure to taste it and add more spices if needed.
    If you make it to thick just add some more crushed tomato sauce or water, if it's to watery you can add some tomato paste.

And that's it, serve with rice and bread while it's still hot.

I'm not sure but I think it's pretty ok for Vegans as well. And if there's any questions feel free to ask (making recipes in English was tricky so sorry if it looks weird).

27. Post #227
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,372 Posts
    Falafel

From my understanding, Falafel are hot fried balls or patties made out of chickpeas. Ooh, they look delicious. If anyone has a recipe they've made, feel free to post it and I'll add it here.
    Falafel is the best vegan fast-food there is out there. I would go for some Falafel over the shit they serve in Mcdonalds any day.
    And by the way, the Falafel balls seen in the picture are too firm. Good Falafel usually looks a bit spiky. Or maybe that's just because of what I see in the stands over here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #228
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    465 Posts
    Oh great Vegan members of FP, assist me in my time of need.

B12 supplements, What do you use?

29. Post #229
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,013 Posts
    Oh great Vegan members of FP, assist me in my time of need.

B12 supplements, What do you use?
    none, so many vegan products throw B12 in there, my soy milk has a ton. There's also nutritional yeast, but people say that doesn't count because it's dead or something.

aww, got excited when I saw your location as Perth, WA - thinking it meant Washington, USA.

30. Post #230
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    465 Posts
    I guess we shall have to find products with more B12. The milk we use has practically none for example.

Perth is way cooler.

31. Post #231
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    Grilled cheese kind of destroys any health benefit of eating vegetarian.
    i only see downsides of eating vegetables, there is no vegetable, unless it's GM, that can replace hard delicous meat protein.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

32. Post #232
    January 2008
    1,499 Posts
    Oooh, some good recipes here. Been a vegetarian since I was 5 (I'm 20 now). It's been tough being the only one in my family...

33. Post #233
    December 2007
    393 Posts
    How did you decide to become a vegetarian by yourself at the age of 5?

34. Post #234

March 2009
    21 Posts
    Vegetarian chicken rice. The "chicken" is made up of flour, tastes like vegetarian goose.
    The rice is flavored with margarine and pandan leaves.

35. Post #235
    January 2008
    1,499 Posts
    How did you decide to become a vegetarian by yourself at the age of 5?
    I realized because, well, chicken the animal and chicken the meat are called the same thing...When i figured that out, I thought it was really gross to eat dead animal and wouldn't anymore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #236
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,735 Posts
    hey guess what, I read a text in school the other day about being or not being vegetarian. 40 out of 100 vegetarians live longer than the average meat eater. Besides not eating meat frequently, they don't smoke or drink that much and do sports. Nontheless, the people who live the longest are the ones who consume eggs and milk, as well as meat and fish once in a while.

Don't know, just to let you know

37. Post #237
    October 2009
    2,178 Posts
    Tofu is bestfu. I've been using it in spaghetti instead of meatballs for ages.

38. Post #238
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,827 Posts
    So who else here's still very happy and dedicated with being a vegetarian? :keke:

Still as strong as ever?
    Yeah, no worries here.

I'm yet to find something that replicates the same delicious crunch of intestines, but it's really not much of a trade off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

39. Post #239
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,376 Posts
    Apparently hemp seeds are super high in protein, I noticed they sell bags of them at Costco. Anyone here eat hemp seeds?

40. Post #240
    August 2012
    14 Posts
    Muahahaahahha

(User was banned for this post ("Dumb reply" - Orkel))

(User was banned for this post ("Why reply" - Jaanus))
    Thank you. This thread lacked bacon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)