1. Post #161
    March 2009
    311 Posts
    Yeah I think Evos do too. Aftermarket carbon fiber hoods actually can weight more if they aren't made well.

Edited:

And why exactly do u need a lighter hood?

They don't make them. Fiberglass is my only other option I think.

2. Post #162
    February 2005
    879 Posts
    And why exactly do u need a lighter hood?
    My car is a racecar.

3. Post #163
    March 2009
    311 Posts
    My car is a racecar.
    Explains :p Interior already stripped?

4. Post #164
    February 2005
    879 Posts
    No I daily drive it. I'll only buy a CF hood if someone sells one locally for cheap.

5. Post #165
    March 2009
    311 Posts
    Would make more difference than a lighter hood, tho.
    u can keep 2 seats and just take out the backseat with seatbelts, carpets,..

6. Post #166
    February 2005
    879 Posts
    The high pressure fuel pump is annoying as it is, it's placed under the passenger back seat. Maybe when I get another car to drive daily I'll strip it.

But a carbon fiber hood will probably help handling better than stripping the interior as it helps even out the front biased weight distribution of the car. Just like three pounds off the outside of a wheel will help more than four pounds off the inside, due to it being further away from the center of rotation.

7. Post #167
    March 2009
    311 Posts
    The high pressure fuel pump is annoying as it is, it's placed under the passenger back seat. Maybe when I get another car to drive daily I'll strip it.

But a carbon fiber hood will probably help handling better than stripping the interior as it helps even out the front biased weight distribution of the car. Just like three pounds off the outside of a wheel will help more than four pounds off the inside, due to it being further away from the center of rotation.
    Forgot about the fuel pump, lol. You're right bout the weight distribution but o don't think there will be a big difference in handling with a cf hood..unless you're a really experienced driver, i don't think i'd notice the difference..

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,954 Posts

I still don't see why you need to waste money to improve handling a small fraction on a DD

9. Post #169
    February 2005
    879 Posts
    I still don't see why you need to waste money to improve handling a small fraction on a DD
    Going to use it for autox and possibly road racing.

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,948 Posts
    The high pressure fuel pump is annoying as it is
    walbro 255 isn't loud enough for me, and all i have is a metal a couple pieces of sheetmetal between me and it

11. Post #171
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    519 Posts
    He's a ricer and he's doing it for looks. He just won't admit it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #172
    February 2005
    879 Posts
    walbro 255 isn't loud enough for me, and all i have is a metal a couple pieces of sheetmetal between me and it
    mine whines and makes noises i think it could be going out

He's a ricer and he's doing it for looks. He just won't admit it.
    yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,466 Posts

to put it one way, a lightened bumper beam on my car improves turn-in response about as much as a new front swaybar

weight matters, not overall weight but where it sits

Edited:

not a small fraction

14. Post #174
    June 2007
    879 Posts
    Try living with a Bosch pump, I'm thinking about going to an in tank and an in line walbro because it will most likely be quieter.

15. Post #175
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,466 Posts
    my pump sounds like a tiny rc jet engine

16. Post #176
    June 2007
    879 Posts
    my pump sounds like a tiny rc jet engine
    Bosch pump, mine is slightly louder:

View YouTUBE video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GNRvS8M_qa4

Edit:

I also have a crushed FPR which makes this louder.

17. Post #177
    YOUR DESKTOP IS SHIT YOU STUPID FUCKS
    August 2009
    5,308 Posts
    Pssshh, you guys are pushovers. Fuck carbon fiber, use tin foil. You don't need windows, lose those too; extra weight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #178
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,446 Posts
    You don't get a fucking CF hood to improve handling. Admit it. It does shit to your handling. You have a heavyass AWD coupé, and saving 5-6 kilograms does nothing to your cars performance.

You might aswell just empty your pockets and drive shoeless.

19. Post #179
    YOUR DESKTOP IS SHIT YOU STUPID FUCKS
    August 2009
    5,308 Posts
    You don't get a fucking CF hood to improve handling. Admit it. It does shit to your handling. You have a heavyass AWD coupé, and saving 5-6 kilograms does nothing to your cars performance.

Edberg just seems like a spoiled wealthy kid.

Typical WRX owner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #180
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    Pssshh, you guys are pushovers. Fuck carbon fiber, use tin foil. You don't need windows, lose those too; extra weight.
    Do it like they do in Florida, and use trash bags.

21. Post #181
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,446 Posts

Typical WRX owner.
    That was to Mike

22. Post #182
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,594 Posts
    Seriously tempted to pick one of these up as my next car... They're heavy, not hugely fast, shit on petrol and cost a fortune to fix when they break down:

But I still want one, for £5,000 too! 300+ bhp from 3.0 twin turbo, quite easy to hit 500whp with these too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #183
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,446 Posts
    Get the one with the nicer front then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #184
    June 2007
    879 Posts
    No Clue why, I just love the Acura Legend.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #185
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,948 Posts
    r33 skyline body kit go

26. Post #186
    February 2005
    879 Posts

The weight of a nice carbon hood is 3.6kg while the weight of a stock turbo awd hood is 18kg. I drive a heavyass AWD coupe, so I want to do everything possible to make it not a heavy ass AWD coupe. If you want me to tell the truth, my real motivation is acceleration. Besides, I'm not going to drop $700 on a brand new shiny Seibon hood. I'll wait till some kid with a non-turbo, fart car and chrome tail equipped Eclipse RS decides to sell the hood for 100 bucks because it's sun faded and the clear coat is peeling off. Then I'll strip all the clear coat off the top, have some red paint sprayed over with not a pound of weight added. Then there you go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts

I love you.

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts

I've always wondered why people tried to make a luxury car into a sports car. That thing turned into the Acura RL which stands for "Refinded Luxury, which has a V6 in a really heavy car.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #189
    Fuck Bitches, Get Scritches
    April 2005
    1,327 Posts
    My daily driver:

1989 Toyota Supra MKIII Turbo with removable Targa-top.

Really fun in the snow, too!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #190
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,594 Posts
    The weight of a nice carbon hood is 3.6kg while the weight of a stock turbo awd hood is 18kg. I drive a heavyass AWD coupe, so I want to do everything possible to make it not a heavy ass AWD coupe. If you want me to tell the truth, my real motivation is acceleration. Besides, I'm not going to drop $700 on a brand new shiny Seibon hood. I'll wait till some kid with a non-turbo, fart car and chrome tail equipped Eclipse RS decides to sell the hood for 100 bucks because it's sun faded and the clear coat is peeling off. Then I'll strip all the clear coat off the top, have some red paint sprayed over with not a pound of weight added. Then there you go.
    Unless you're seriously bothered by 0-60 times, why not lose the heavy 4WD system? Might be a bit slower off the line but with a decent set of tyres you'll carry the speed through the twisties better with the reduced weight and you'll feel the pull better from a rolling start.

31. Post #191
    February 2005
    879 Posts
    Unless you're seriously bothered by 0-60 times, why not lose the heavy 4WD system? Might be a bit slower off the line but with a decent set of tyres you'll carry the speed through the twisties better with the reduced weight and you'll feel the pull better from a rolling start.
    Getting rid of the front axles won't really help me that much, and I'm sure as hell not going to switch my car to FWD lol. What makes these cars cool is the fact that they're AWD. It's also the reason I bought mine. The weight isn't as important to me as the traction it gives. Once I put on my turbo and reach my 400whp goal, FWD will be useless as it will spin in any gear below fourth (without an LSD or something). The AWD also helps substantially in the twisties.

Also until you've experienced an AWD launch, I don't think you will know how awesome it feels. lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #192
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,466 Posts

"to put it one way, a lightened bumper beam on my car improves turn-in response about as much as a new front swaybar

weight matters, not overall weight but where it sits"
    different cars react differently to different mods, especially an awd car with skewed weight distribution

still love you tho <3

Edited:

Typical WRX owner.
    forum winner

Edited:

keep in mind mods compliment other mods, 25mm FSB+removed bumper beam=sexy turnin

but a fender bender would send the other car straight into my timing belt/cams

Edited:

btw ferosso pop the hood on a s14 and tell me that isn't heavy as balls
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #193
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,446 Posts
    I like CF hoods because of the way they look.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #194
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    CF hood, steel hood... Why use a hood at all?

Which reminds me of when I first put the high comp motor together and then put a new clutch in my EF hatch, I ran that thing without a hood for a couple days. lol. I was so tired of working on the damn thing I didn't want to have to tighten up four bolts.

35. Post #195
    Fuck Bitches, Get Scritches
    April 2005
    1,327 Posts
    Pffft, weight-savings.

Just add a larger turbo.

36. Post #196
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,954 Posts
    oh man I just learned about the nissan pao

HNNNG DO WANT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

37. Post #197
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Oh hey sweet Mini bro--Wait a second...

38. Post #198
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    590 Posts
    Fuck the Pao! Figaro is the shit!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #199
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,954 Posts
    Fuck the Pao! Figaro is the shit!

There's one of them where I live, in a seafoam green-like colour, it's nice

40. Post #200
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,466 Posts
    Pffft, weight-savings.

Just add a larger turbo.
    suddenly turn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)