1. Post #41
    Not a very good Member
    January 2010
    2,398 Posts
    Having spent 2 months in Southern India, I can be pretty certain that Indian food in Western countries tastes alot nicer, mostly because of the quality of the ingredients and cooking preperations.

Excellent trip, the food was a little iffy though.

Edited:

Still fucking love dosa and anything with masala spices on it. Even the KFC in India has masala on it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Having spent 2 months in Southern India, I can be pretty certain that Indian food in Western countries tastes alot nicer, mostly because of the quality of the ingredients and cooking preperations.

Excellent trip, the food was a little iffy though.

Edited:

Still fucking love dosa and anything with masala spices on it. Even the KFC in India has masala on it
    I actually got tired of indian food after spending only 4 days there.
    But indian food is abundant in my country so I can just drive to a 'Mamak store' (Mamak- Indian Cook/Owner) and order me some Roti and Curry.

3. Post #43
    February 2010
    1,255 Posts
    http://mauristores.wordpress.com/201...im-serves-6-8/

Looks like a runny shit.

Damn it tastes good add more chilli for extra kick eat with Japati.
    I think Nan bread is to heavy more room for this :D

btw if you want to make this right it takes a while i.e. not fast food. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebqcn...eature=related

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    366 Posts
    I have learned to make Raita! I'm set for life.

For anyone who wants to know this "fine" art (I'm looking at Autumn) here's the instructions:

1 whole cucumber (finely chop up)
    1 whole red/orange pepper (de-seed and finely chop up)
    2 average sized tomatos (de-seed and finely chop up)
    500ml plain yoghurt

1 TSP salt
    Half 1 TSP ground cumin
    Half 1 TSP black pepper
    Optional: Half 1 TSP Paprika

Mix all that up.

Tastes awesome. So very simple and so very very cheap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,974 Posts
    Made Chana Masala a week ago. So good. Everyone liked it more than my Aloo Mutter, so I think I'll be making it again soon, maybe tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    May 2010
    1,301 Posts
    I watched the Good Eats episode where he makes Lamb Tikka Massala and it looked amazing. Not to mention he made a pretty badass looking tandoor out of a big planter, and his grill.
    I may have to give it a try sometime. But until then, i think i may swing by the local Indian place that my friend's boss says is the best. He's from India so i guess i will trust his judgment.

7. Post #47
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,448 Posts
    I have learned to make Raita! I'm set for life.

For anyone who wants to know this "fine" art (I'm looking at Autumn) here's the instructions:

1 whole cucumber (finely chop up)
    1 whole red/orange pepper (de-seed and finely chop up)
    2 average sized tomatos (de-seed and finely chop up)
    500ml plain yoghurt

1 TSP salt
    Half 1 TSP ground cumin
    Half 1 TSP black pepper
    Optional: Half 1 TSP Paprika

Mix all that up.

Tastes awesome. So very simple and so very very cheap.
    thanks for that!

when i go home in a few weeks i think i'm going to try my luck at some little indian snacks, primarily bhajis and samosas. this will be perfect!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    6,603 Posts
    thanks for that!

when i go home in a few weeks i think i'm going to try my luck at some little indian snacks, primarily bhajis and samosas. this will be perfect!
    Well samosas are not just Indian. The Arabs have replicated it to great effect, stuffing them up with meat, cheese and all sorts of niceries. Qatari cuisine is also a lot like Indian and Pakistani cooking only without the spiciness and more buttery goodness.

As for indian cooking for me nothing beats a good incredibly spicy chicken or prawn biryani with a poppadom sombrero. served with a small amount of mint-less raita.

OH, AND PRATHAS OH MY GOD THEM PRATHAS.
    Best pan-bread this side of the red sea.

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,287 Posts
    I'm a massive fan of indian food, so much so that I decided to go to India this summer for four weeks in August. Flying into Delhi, taking a train to Chandigarh in the north, staying there for a bit (home of butter chicken curry, dish of the region so hell yeah) then I'm flying down from Delhi again to Mumbai (Bombay) in the south. Going from Mumbai after a couple days of partying down to Mangalore to some of the best beaches in the world. Then back to Delhi and then over to Gorakhpur on the Nepalese border and then taking a jeep into Katmandu Nepal for a few days. Possibly taking a three day trip during my stay to either Calcutta or Sri Lanka...It's going to be one hell of an adventure, and some delicious damn food.

Going with my friends, Ishaan from Chandigarh, Milos from Serbia, Miguel from the Philippines and me, the American.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    December 2006
    18,448 Posts
    i am incredibly jealous!!

india is pretty much top of my list of places to visit!
    (aside from maybe peru)

wow, you're going to have such a great time :D

11. Post #51
    November 2009
    10,143 Posts
    I'm a massive fan of indian food, so much so that I decided to go to India this summer for four weeks in August. Flying into Delhi, taking a train to Chandigarh in the north, staying there for a bit (home of butter chicken curry, dish of the region so hell yeah) then I'm flying down from Delhi again to Mumbai (Bombay) in the south. Going from Mumbai after a couple days of partying down to Mangalore to some of the best beaches in the world. Then back to Delhi and then over to Gorakhpur on the Nepalese border and then taking a jeep into Katmandu Nepal for a few days. Possibly taking a three day trip during my stay to either Calcutta or Sri Lanka...It's going to be one hell of an adventure, and some delicious damn food.

Going with my friends, Ishaan from Chandigarh, Milos from Serbia, Miguel from the Philippines and me, the American.
    Bring your own water.

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,287 Posts
    Bring your own water.
    Just drink coke.

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    6,603 Posts
    Just drink coke.
    D'OHOHOHHO
    You jokester.

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    366 Posts
    My mothers birthday meal today and she wants a big-ass curry.
    It shall be glorious.
    :smug:

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    6,603 Posts
    My mothers birthday meal today and she wants a big-ass curry.
    It shall be glorious.
    :smug:
    The toilet shall feed on your spice energies.

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,287 Posts
    D'OHOHOHHO
    You jokester.
    Not really a joke, you drink carbonated beverages so you can easily tell if it's been tampered with.

17. Post #57
    Gold Member

December 2006
    2,632 Posts
    I have terrible trouble with curries because I always try something new then forget the names of the ones I like.

18. Post #58
    December 2006
    18,448 Posts
    Bring your own water.
    i think he means "only drink sealed, bottled water".

bringing your own water is a ridiculous idea.

19. Post #59
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,974 Posts
    Any other curry dishes I should try? Something like Chana Masala would be nice. Preferably meatless, but I can easily substitute a faux meat.

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    4,316 Posts
    Hyderabadi is nice.

21. Post #61
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,974 Posts
    Hyderabadi is nice.
    That's a place, not a dish. There's some dishes named after it, but which one in particular did you mean?

22. Post #62
    April 2011
    1,765 Posts
    Vegetable Korma is delicious

23. Post #63
    March 2007
    363 Posts
    Awesome homemade curry sauce secret: Dont just use the stuff from a jar, buy curry paste, coconut milk and chopped tinned tomatos seperately and mix them into the chicken/vegetables once they are golden. Leave to simmer for a while and you have a way tastier sauce than anything you can buy in a jar.