1. Post #2401
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    psychadelic spacey hippieish electronic prog from sweden.

no i don't know either but it sounds cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #2402
    December 2010
    6,323 Posts
    jizzzz
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #2403
    Streetwise Angel Booksmart Devil
    January 2010
    3,015 Posts
    My prog rock starting point.

Someone posted Karnivool on FP in a thread while back, and it was the first time I had heard anything like it. I was just totally blown away by it.

4. Post #2404
    January 2009
    411 Posts
    Holy fuck, SW is coming all the way to Sweden and Norway on the second leg but still doesn't bother coming here

YOU'RE BREAKING MY HEART, WILSON

Also, I've almost completed my Boris discography now. They aren't exactly prog but they're pretty damn amazing and they're progressive-ishly minded enough so they must count. Experimental - progressive, what's the difference? Feedbacker, Pink and Akuma No Uta are some of the best albums I've heard in a long time.

I'll just leave this here:

Keepin' the thread alive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #2405
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,520 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

6. Post #2406
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    more prog/RIO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #2407
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,546 Posts
    i was searching around from some of the worst 80s progressive rock and came across some of the most vile things ever.

The good pretensions of the 70s seemed to have worn off by then I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #2408
    A Casual Businessman (or something even worse.)
    August 2009
    915 Posts
    univers zero is best RIO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #2409
    December 2010
    6,323 Posts

"Ummm, Jeddy, we seem to have a small lighting issue, it seems that your nose is casting a huge shadow and ruining my shot!"
    "Hey hey, you make fun of his ugly face, why you do this?"

Oh god my sides

10. Post #2410
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,727 Posts
    You know, prog rock thread, I am surprised at you. Some of what might be the best news for prog rock since the 70's and you pass it by.

40th Anniversary edition of Aqualung has been released and it's pretty fucking excellent, but Steve Wilson posted a very nice announcement which is pretty fucking exciting. Not only is he remixing Thick as a Brick, but:

I recently had the pleasure of mixing the new Ian Anderson / Jethro Tull album, which is a follow up to the classic Thick as a Brick album from 1972. TAAB2 is very much in the tradition of the first album, a continuous 54 minute concept piece with a similar musical palette and style. It's just been officially announced for release in April as a CD/DVD (including a 5.1 mix and stereo in high res), more details on the Tull website. I also completed mixes for a 40th anniversary surround sound edition of the original Thick as a Brick, though not sure when that is coming out.

http://www.americansongwriter.com/20...mmys-and-more/

http://stcleve.com/

Youtube video has music in it and it sounds FANTASTIC.

Edit - fuck you hakita, didn't see your post

lets just discuss it excitedly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

11. Post #2411
    December 2010
    6,323 Posts
    You know, prog rock thread, I am surprised at you. Some of what might be the best news for prog rock since the 70's and you pass it by.

40th Anniversary edition of Aqualung has been released and it's pretty fucking excellent, but Steve Wilson posted a very nice announcement which is pretty fucking exciting. Not only is he remixing Thick as a Brick, but:

http://www.americansongwriter.com/20...mmys-and-more/

http://stcleve.com/

Youtube video has music in it and it sounds FANTASTIC.

Edit - fuck you hakita, didn't see your post

lets just discuss it excitedly
    Thick as a Brick is probably up there on my top 5 or 10 favorite songs of all time, but I feel shamed for not really listening to anything past that point.

12. Post #2412
    January 2009
    411 Posts
    Thick as a Brick was great but I don't know what to think about this one. 70's prog bands trying to make 70's prog in this day and age just sound so, I don't know, forced and out of place. Might be just me, though.

I didn't particularly like Fly from Here either. Jon Anderson was right to want to move the band forward rather than dwell in the past and his leaving the band was completely justified.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #2413
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,727 Posts
    From what I can hear from the youtube video trailer, it sounds really nice. I have high hopes, but its not going to be a classic or anything, I don't think
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #2414
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,033 Posts
    Sounds like it'll be a great album. But theres little to no chance it'll live up to the original. Which is a bit unfair.
    In other news, Storm Corrosion is now officially signed to Roadrunner and the album is due out April 20th. I'm excited.
    So many albums coming out around then. Flying Colours, Koloss, Storm Corrosion, TTAB2, new Neal Morse album (possibly)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #2415
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,727 Posts
    apparently its a lot darker and less humourous, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how that goes

I mean he cant exactly parody 70s prog again in the way he did the first time. Its not the 70s anymore.

Also its funny, the boy it was about, Gerald, becomes a member of the labour party
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

16. Post #2416
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,352 Posts
    Also its funny, the boy it was about, Gerald, becomes a member of the labour party
    Hilarious!

17. Post #2417
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,854 Posts
    Damn this shit is funny:

Neil making fun of Alex during the solo is hilarious.

18. Post #2418
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,727 Posts
    Also Steven Wilson live CD - Bought a signed copy, will post pics when it arrives

Bit embarrassing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #2419
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    what did I just watch

20. Post #2420
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,808 Posts
    All FOABP needed to rate as my favourite album ever was a reworked version of this song with the lyrics to close the album, maybe an acoustic version or something that really emphasises the lyrics.

But seriously FOABP still rates as one of my top albums, the concept is so strong, its political and not too fantastical like other prog rock concepts, it begins really strongly with the title song, hits some of the best production techniques in Anesthetize, like that bit where the guitar makes a groove using panning to the left and right which I never get sick of. Then songs like My Ashes and Sentimental which are some of the most well-composed songs I've heard.
    convinced me getting the album
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #2421
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,546 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #2422
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,033 Posts
    This album is really cool. I really love the version of 21st Century Schizoid Man they do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #2423
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,546 Posts
    The drummer is so awesome, but then remembered Ian Wallace was actually a King Crimson drummer.

Passed away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #2424
    August 2009
    915 Posts

25. Post #2425
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,725 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

26. Post #2426
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,727 Posts
    To top it off, Anathema is releasing an all new album on April 23rd which is purported to be better than We're Here Because We're Here, it's called Weather Systems.

April is going to ruin me financially

27. Post #2427
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    Anyone listened to these guys called Aphrodite's Child? They're Greek, I'm currently listening to 666 (The Apocalypse of John, 13/18). It sounds really good. I like it a lot.

This is considered the "single" from that album:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

28. Post #2428
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    Vangelis' original band before he went solo if I remember correctly. We had that record in my shop for ages. Always intrigued me but it was a bit expensive for a blind buy.

From what I remember reading about it one of the tracks is two minutes of a woman having an orgasm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #2429
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    Vangelis' original band before he went solo if I remember correctly. We had that record in my shop for ages. Always intrigued me but it was a bit expensive for a blind buy.

From what I remember reading about it one of the tracks is two minutes of a woman having an orgasm
    Aye. The song is called ∞. It features a Greek actress saying "I was, I am, I am to come" in different freaky tones, almost hysterically. It is supposed to be her climaxing though, yeah.

30. Post #2430
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,725 Posts
    More ultra badass vintage live King Crimson:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

31. Post #2431
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    Wow. That Aphrodite's Child album was pretty fuckin' cool. I'll have to get their other two(?) albums they did before 666.

32. Post #2432
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,727 Posts

Best version of indiscipline

Also how I wish they did a live version of the lizard album. Lizard is one of the most overlooked crimson albums and also one of the most unique
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

33. Post #2433
    August 2009
    915 Posts
    you linked to discipline from absent lovers, but regardless i'm not denying the version of Indiscipline on that is better than the album version

34. Post #2434
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,727 Posts
    you linked to discipline from absent lovers, but regardless i'm not denying the version of Indiscipline on that is better than the album version
    So I did, must fix that

35. Post #2435
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,546 Posts
    Anyone listened to these guys called Aphrodite's Child? They're Greek, I'm currently listening to
    Yes, that's Vangelis' band. I love their stuff.

36. Post #2436
    August 2009
    915 Posts
    please tell me at least one of you has heard ProjeKct Three's album because this shit is bananas

king crimson does psychedelic electronic wtf is this

37. Post #2437
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    Is anyone here a listener of Peter Gabriel's later stuff? I'm listening to to Us in work, I've got Up at home.

It's really clear to see the influence on the likes of Steven Wilson's solo stuff in Up. Lot of the same elements.

38. Post #2438
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,546 Posts
    Is anyone here a listener of Peter Gabriel's later stuff? I'm listening to to Us in work, I've got Up at home.

It's really clear to see the influence on the likes of Steven Wilson's solo stuff in Up. Lot of the same elements.
    Yeah funnily enough I've only heard New Blood of his recent stuff. It's like I skipped 2 decades worth of good stuff. I still need to hear Us and Up.

39. Post #2439
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,727 Posts
    I didn't like Scratch my Back all that much in all honesty, but I would like to hear Up and Us

40. Post #2440
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    Us is much more in keeping with his early stuff. Up is an absolutely incredible curveball which is really reminiscent of similar "70's heroes-gone-solo"'s later forays into darker music, but it's much more earnest sounding. Signal to Noise is one of the best, most intense songs I've heard in a while
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events