1. Post #1
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,900 Posts
    I started playing electric guitar a little over a year ago and now I am coming up with neat little riffs and solos that i would like to record. However, My amp and microphone aren't quite doing the job. I play mostly metal, some alternative and rock. and I have a crappy SG copy (although it it licensed by Gibson) but I plan on buying an epiphone when I have the money. In use with other amps my guitar doesn't sound that bad. But anyways, What gear would you recommend for me? I'm looking for inexpensive gear, but I know it probably won't be cheap and don't plan on buying immediately. any suggestions?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts
    For recording, you will want to go with an audio interface with some free amp modelling software from the interwebs.

That would probably cost you under 100$ if you'll go with that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,516 Posts
    Shure SM58 is a very versatile mic but you'd need an audio interface first. I use reaper for recording on PC, it's free software and good enough. You could get a line 6 pod, they can be pretty decent to start with and plug it into your computer from there using a jack to mini-jack
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,900 Posts
    ....some free amp modelling software from the interwebs...
    Are there any that you'd recommend?

Edited:

Shure SM58 is a very versatile mic but you'd need an audio interface first. I use reaper for recording on PC, it's free software and good enough. You could get a line 6 pod, they can be pretty decent to start with and plug it into your computer from there using a jack to mini-jack
    Thanks, I'll check that out. I have reaper already, and My mic is fine for recording vocals at the moment, however, after I get stuff for guitar, I'll get a better mic.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts
    Are there any that you'd recommend?
    LePou makes some pretty amazing amp simulators for free.
    If you're willing to pay, you might want to take a look at Amplitube or Guitar Rig 4. They're both really good.

And I have to agree with getting a SM58 and if you have the money get a SM57 too.

6. Post #6
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,900 Posts
    LePou makes some pretty amazing amp simulators for free.
    If you're willing to pay, you might want to take a look at Amplitube or Guitar Rig 4. They're both really good.

And I have to agree with getting a SM58 and if you have the money get a SM57 too.
    Thanks, I got a Pocket Pod Express for my birthday but that broke so I'll see if i can get it working.

I'll check out amplitube.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts
    Thanks, I got a Pocket Pod Express for my birthday but that broke so I'll see if i can get it working.

I'll check out amplitube.
    You should check this one out too:

8. Post #8
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,900 Posts
    You should check this one out too:
    Thanks. but the guy in the video.

Certain lyrics came to mind
    "Acting like a robot
    Metal Brain Corrodes......"

9. Post #9
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,900 Posts
    I don't know what I did, but I took apart and reassembled my PocPodEx and it seems to be working now.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts
    I don't know what I did, but I took apart and reassembled my PocPodEx and it seems to be working now.
    Get ASIO4ALL or something similar and download some amp sims :buddy:

11. Post #11
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,900 Posts
    Get ASIO4ALL or something similar and download some amp sims :buddy:
    I'll check it out when I fix my headphones. I broke them, Luckily all it needs it to re-solder a wire.