1. Post #1
    After seeing this on /v/ of all places, I thought I should share this oddly addicting passtime with Facepunch.

http://www.mapcrunch.com/

This site will spawn you in a random location in a country of your choice. Enable "hide location" (so you don't know where you are) and "cities only" (so you don't spawn in the middle of nowhere, or on a highway), then either try to navigate home, or to the nearest airport.

I tell you, after wandering aimlessly through Britain's endless suburban forest, it's a relief to a see a roadsign pointing towards London so I know where the fuck I am and where I'm going.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2lwrngh.png
    THREAD MUSIC(S):

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 72Funny x 4Optimistic x 2Useful x 2Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    5,629 Posts
    Seems awesome, I'll give it a try.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    July 2010
    2,434 Posts
    Shit, I'm retarded and really bad at this kind of thing. I'll give it a shot (see you all in 5 days time).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,936 Posts
    I ended up in Hong Kong. I live in the UK. Oh fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 167Winner x 5Agree x 1Artistic x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,791 Posts
    Oh god I'm in Germany.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Late Late x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    July 2010
    2,434 Posts
    I ended up in Hong Kong. I live in the UK. Oh fuck
    You can choose to isolate it to the UK.

By the way is it me or will this take ages? I've spent the last 2 minutes clicking my way down a single street...

Edit: Ooooo, never mind, you don't have to use the arrows, you can just click the end of the street.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    You can choose to isolate it to the UK.

By the way is it me or will this take ages? I've spent the last 2 minutes clicking my way down a single street...
    You don't have to click the arrows. If the cursor forms a small circle on the road ahead you can skip all the way there, it's much faster.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 3Useful Useful x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    November 2009
    1,359 Posts
    It would be sorta kinda nice if Streetview was faster at navigating because this just tends to spawn me several thousand miles away from where I live
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 34Funny Funny x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Silver Member
    April 2008
    2,360 Posts
    where the fuck am i
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 84Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    5,629 Posts
    I landed right next to an Airport near some place called Helsinki, do I win?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 103Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    July 2010
    2,434 Posts
    OK I've worked out from the shop names that I'm in Surrey..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Useful x 1Informative x 1Agree x 1Funny x 1Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,936 Posts
    I ended up on my street, ahahah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 172Disagree Disagree x 27Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    July 2010
    2,434 Posts
    Heading north east to london (I hope ) so I can get home.

14. Post #14
    Does Exeter have an airport?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    442 Posts
    How come I can't isolate to Ireland? Do I have to walk home from England?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 19Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,666 Posts
    i'm about 30 miles from my house, damn, this is going to be hard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 22 (list)

17. Post #17
    November 2010
    1,642 Posts
    Live in VA, USA. Choose random place in USA, get wisconsin.

Got a looonggggg way to go.

Edited:

i'm about 30 miles from my house, damn, this is going to be hard
    I'm about 150
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    July 2010
    2,434 Posts
    Outskirts of london. Should be home 'soon'.

19. Post #19
    Find the nearest international airport.

Edited:

I'm about 150
    I'm at the other end of the fucking country
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 10Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,785 Posts
    I live in a town in england. Would that still come up in cities only
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,888 Posts
    Woa, got Norway, witch is where i live, but i spawned all the way north, and i live in oslo.
    Fml gave up when i saw location
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,457 Posts
    I live in Arizona, got some random rural street in Texas. Should be fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts
    You can select the "My Map" thing so it only chooses random locations in the area selected.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,833 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 62Winner Winner x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    3,110 Posts
    This is awesome I am in Antarctica with penguins and people! Wait how do I get out of here?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner x 81Funny x 10Agree x 1Artistic x 1Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    July 2010
    2,434 Posts
    This is awesome I am in Antarctica with penguins and people! Wait how do I get out of here?
    ahahah. Why would you want to get out of there though? That is fucking awesome!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    3,110 Posts
    Here are some more of this awesome expidition! (Media'd for size)
    http://gyazo.com/cc500aa26d4d813a4ffbf814fded662c.pnghttp://gyazo.com/5f7ed2539f30a772f61f8a49e29573f8.pnghttp://gyazo.com/6fa1a75be2e8c00fd4212f8b613e6d91.pnghttp://gyazo.com/d7da57f4b91f14b45bbbcd6a4b1fe498.pnghttp://gyazo.com/a92f41018b7c9c1404aecdad1e8292ad.pnghttp://gyazo.com/ba324f74317714f699814d6c3704acb9.pngThis is awesome!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner x 31Artistic x 2Friendly x 1Funny x 1Agree x 1Late x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,583 Posts
    No Street View in Russia :frown:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    BABY MODE : don't do anything to complicate your life, use GPS, show country and location.

EASY MODE : don't use any GPS or maps help, but you use show country

NORMAL MODE : use show country, use cities only, don't hide location

HARD MODE : use show country, use cities only, hide location, don't use anykind of help

SUPER-HARD MODE : don't show country, use cities only, hide location, don't use anykind of help

STALKER MODE : only go into a country you don't know the language, don't use cities, hide location, don't use anykind of help, explore until you sleep, in a dark room, with STALKER OST
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 27Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    April 2010
    81 Posts
    Of course it puts me on the complete opposite side of my fucking country.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    3,299 Posts
    fuck sake, I appeared in Wales. I can't read shit :argh:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 29 (list)

32. Post #32
    I'm in "tara road" by some "pre-primary" school.

no idea where I am, don't even know if I'm in the UK.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,785 Posts

beer truck in hawaii
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 42Funny Funny x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    March 2010
    2,900 Posts
    Ah shit I'm Brazil.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    October 2009
    393 Posts
    I'm in my city but I'm also a bit south of my home city. This is confusing the hell out of me.

36. Post #36
    February 2010
    5,893 Posts
    I spawned in Seattle, 2 blocks of Interstate 90. Just took that back home.

What a challange!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,785 Posts
    using my map, the random button took me to my friend's house

hasn't managed to jump to mine yet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    442 Posts
    You can select the "My Map" thing so it only chooses random locations in the area selected.
    Ah thanks. Well I live in Dublin and it started me in Co. Sligo which is on the other side of the country. There's fields everywhere! :byodood:

39. Post #39
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,785 Posts

finally it jumped to my house after all that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 29 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,366 Posts
    I did it. I managed to start in a nearby city, about 10 km away, and go to my home.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)