1. Post #1
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    So it seems there's still a lot of misinformation floating around about AAS (Anabolic androgenic steroids, the correct name for "roids")

So hopefully we can use this thread to clear up myths and answer questions. Post any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them or if you're in the know post your own myths and debunk them.

"roids make your dick shrink"

This one is probably the most common in the mind of the public, and it's also the least true. No form of AAS or prohormones can shrink you penis, it is literally not possible. What this is actually mistaken for, is ball shrinkage. A common occurrence when using testosterone is testicular atrophy, but this is temporary and the balls will return normal after you cycle off.

"lol ur gonna get roid rage and kill someone"

Again this is another shitty myth that stems from misinformation. Higher testosterone is correlated with higher aggression, but aggression has nothing to do with flying off the handle and killing people, that is a complete mental breakdown and loss of control.

There were several studies backed by the federal government which tried to paint a high correlation between steroid use and hypomania, but these were later shown to be fabricated.

What the popular media fails to note is that individuals involved in "roid rage" cases were unstable personalities before they started using AAS. As such it exacerbates their mental problems. Of course, it's easier to blame "drugs" than it is to say that they were a shitty person. Used properly, there is nothing to suggest that a person of healthy mental state will experience any such rage.

"[B]didn't some kid get all depressed and kill himself from steroid abuse"

Again, similarly to roid rage, this is pure misinformation that the media and the government loves to exploit. Every report of depression linked with steroids has been purely anecdotal, and they always fail to acknowledge that these cases may have had prior mental unstability.

It's highly unlikely that AAS causes depression, as increased testosterone levels actually have the opposite effect: they increase mood, quality of life and decrease stress and hypertension.

"Friend got on steroids and now he's addicted, he can't live without them

This one may actually have some merit. Many AAS users describe a noticeable difference in mood and huge increase in confidence when they are on AAS. So it's easy to suggest that when you cycle back to normal levels you would like to feel that way again.

Also if you're a scrawny kid who thinks he can't put on muscle to save his life and then all of the sudden with the help of AAS you're making dramatic gains, it's easy to see how such a naive personality could get mentally attached to it and feel helpless without it.

However again this comes down to the person, there is no evidence to suggest that it is chemically addictive.

"steroids stunt your growth"

This one is still being argued feverishly. It's suggested that AAS usage in teenagers may cause premature closure of the growth plates, but there's never been evidence to confirm this.

Arnold Schwarznegger was using boatloads of AAS in various forms since he was 16 in an age where they didn't know about PCT (post cycle treatment) and he still ended up 6'2. That said, comparing Arnold to most people is wrong because most people don't have Arnold's genetics, and genetics do play a part in whether you can handle huge amounts of AAS.

But at any rate, if you're not a dumb ass about AAS you should be 21 at least and by then you should be near finished growing and able to make an educated adult decision.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

2. Post #2
    February 2011
    142 Posts
    getting gear is fairly easy and p cheap. and dont make one person ( ahhhhnooold) speak for the majority.

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    ahhhhnooold) speak for the majority.
    I didn't?

"That said, comparing Arnold to most people is wrong because most people don't have Arnold's genetics, and genetics do play a part in whether you can handle huge amounts of AAS."

I was simply using Arnold as one example of someone's whose growth was not impacted at all by AAS use. Not suggesting it as evidence that would apply to everyone.

4. Post #4
    February 2011
    142 Posts
    I didn't?

"That said, comparing Arnold to most people is wrong because most people don't have Arnold's genetics, and genetics do play a part in whether you can handle huge amounts of AAS."

I was simply using Arnold as one example of someone's whose growth was not impacted at all by AAS use. Not suggesting it as evidence that would apply to everyone.
    ~maybe its me but it seems you mentioned it subtlety~

Edited:

also worth mentioning theres more people that are short who started taking gear early than not , only one ( i have a bad memory ok ;___; ) is franco columbo

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    ~maybe its me but it seems you mentioned it subtlety~

Edited:

also worth mentioning theres more people that are short who started taking gear early than not , only one ( i have a bad memory ok ;___; ) is franco columbo
    Franco is short genetically, his dad is like 5'5.

Edited:

I'm not leaning either way, I'm just saying at the moment there isn't any actual data to suggest it's true or false.

6. Post #6
    U$O
    February 2011
    170 Posts
    Is it true that you should avoid cardio while on roids, because you risk your heart growing too big?

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    Is it true that you should avoid cardio while on roids, because you risk your heart growing too big?
    Lol no.

Again, there is only suggestions that it can cause alterations to the heart such enlargement of the left ventricle, but that same enlargement is seen in elite athletes anyway, and there is no solid connection to adverse effects. At any rate, it's not a common occurrence, and it's not sudden either.

8. Post #8
    February 2011
    142 Posts
    these people are to much of babys to buy gear

9. Post #9
    U$O
    February 2011
    170 Posts
    I'm still seeing gains without "gear," so I have no reason to use it. Wouldn't say it makes me a baby, but whatevs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Dennab
    December 2008
    2,220 Posts
    TBH.

Steroids are for pussies taking the shortcut that can't handle the real healthy way of getting big.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    2,198 Posts
    TBH.

Steroids are for pussies taking the shortcut that can't handle the real healthy way of getting big.
    Show us a pic of yourself then.

TBH.
    Getting big is hard, regardless if you use roids or not.

Anyway, id like to try them for a few months, but I don't know anyone selling the "gear" nearby. I hardly noticed any strength or size gains in last 2 months at all. Just curious about the effects of it, wanna see if its really what it is made out to be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    TBH.

TBH you have no idea what you are talking about.

Steroids aren't a magic potion. They still require you put in hard work and solid eating to get a decent physique.

And for a person who has reached their genetic limit but wants to continue pushing their physique, or performance further, they are invaluable. And on the other side of the coin, steroids aren't just for vanity, AAS has a large amount of medical and life improvement uses.

Besides, the pussies who abuse them for "quick fix" usually don't get that big anyway, they pack on like 20lbs of lean mass and then lose most of it again when they stop using because they have no fucking clue.

Edited:

I'm still seeing gains without "gear," so I have no reason to use it. Wouldn't say it makes me a baby, but whatevs
    Yep. If you're still making gains, you don't really "need" to use it. I'm not suggesting anyone here does either, I just offering to see past the bullshit that surrounds AAS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    February 2011
    142 Posts
    TBH.

hahah holy shit oh my god just wow just
    just go
    im embarassed to be in this thread with you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

14. Post #14
    May 2010
    3,141 Posts
    So it seems there's still a lot of misinformation floating around about AAS (Anabolic androgenic steroids, the correct name for "roids")

So hopefully we can use this thread to clear up myths and answer questions. Post any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them or if you're in the know post your own myths and debunk them.
    the whole thing about balls going back to normal isn`t always true, sometimes the body does not turn the workings of the testicles back on and then you're fucked

also this thread seems pro-steroids lol, you should throw some negatives in there, like, even if done correctly:
    possible:
    -kidney damage
    -liver damage
    -infertility
    -cancer (mostly prostate)
    -endocrine system problems
    -bitch tits

all of the above can happen, even if you take nolvadex and all the other shit that's supposed to suppress estrogen and other things that to help you, taking steroids is like an art, you have to balance one thing with another, start off with test, then keep adding things slowly. you can minimize risks by being educated and taking the right AAS along with other shit during the cycle and proper PCT, but the risks can never be avoided 100%
    seriously steroids is no joke, just picture it, you are pumping your body with testosterone, what do you think is going to happen? JUST muscle growth?

Edited:

no, you really need to do cardio with roids
    imagine 20 pounds of muscle gain, all the pressure on your heart and everything along with all the hormone fluctuations and you have bad cardiovascular health? cardio is a must when you're taking

Edited:

Show us a pic of yourself then.

TBH.
    Getting big is hard, regardless if you use roids or not.

Anyway, id like to try them for a few months, but I don't know anyone selling the "gear" nearby. I hardly noticed any strength or size gains in last 2 months at all. Just curious about the effects of it, wanna see if its really what it is made out to be.
    dude, first, you need to wait. until you are at least older than 20, most steroid educated people recommend 25. also, you need to workout a lot BEFORE you take them. get as far as you can without them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    February 2011
    142 Posts
    the whole thing about balls going back to normal isn`t always true, sometimes the body does not turn the workings of the testicles back on and then you're fucked

also this thread seems pro-steroids lol, you should throw some negatives in there, like, even if done correctly:
    possible:
    -kidney damage
    -liver damage
    -infertility
    -cancer (mostly prostate)
    -endocrine system problems
    -bitch tits
    id like to point out that these are rare as fuck if done right

16. Post #16
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    Yes.

a typical cycle of 500mg of test e or test c ran with PCT drugs on hand and its highly unlikely you get any of those.

When you start messing with the more powerful synthetic hormones that aromatize very easily and are extremely hard on the body is when you start dealing with problems.

All in all test c and e are pretty safe.

Edited:

21 is generally the recommended age, but 25 would be more ideal. By the time you're 25 you should be A) finished growing B)Have made some solid natural gains C) Have a wealth of training experience and knowledge to put to use and D) Have had plenty of time to do your research and make an informed decision.

17. Post #17
    May 2010
    3,141 Posts
    Yes.

a typical cycle of 500mg of test e or test c ran with PCT drugs on hand and its highly unlikely you get any of those.

When you start messing with the more powerful synthetic hormones that aromatize very easily and are extremely hard on the body is when you start dealing with problems.

All in all test c and e are pretty safe.

Edited:

21 is generally the recommended age, but 25 would be more ideal. By the time you're 25 you should be A) finished growing B)Have made some solid natural gains C) Have a wealth of training experience and knowledge to put to use and D) Have had plenty of time to do your research and make an informed decision.
    but a typical cycle of test e is just for your first cycle, when you do more cycles you have to add more shit and that's when shit gets messy

18. Post #18
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    but a typical cycle of test e is just for your first cycle, when you do more cycles you have to add more shit and that's when shit gets messy
    you don't HAVE to add more, many guys like to add deca and stuff to the mix to "kickstart" the cycle so gains pile on quicker at the start.

Test is still the main mass builder.

19. Post #19
    May 2010
    3,141 Posts
    you don't HAVE to add more, many guys like to add deca and stuff to the mix to "kickstart" the cycle so gains pile on quicker at the start.

Test is still the main mass builder.
    lol but with JUST test it's barely even worth taking it

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    lol but with JUST test it's barely even worth taking it
    Lol no?

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,058 Posts
    Taking steroids is like hacking in games. Sure you'll win, but it's not due to skill or practice, it's because you cheat.
    Where's the fun in that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    January 2008
    1,130 Posts
    You still have to work hard for it, but in the end it's nothing more than cheating your way out.
    Why not settle with your own natural physique?

I'd say use that only if you've reached the age of 25 and make barely to no gains and that is if you've seriously trained, with nutrition and all, longer than only two or four years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Titty King
    March 2005
    1,351 Posts
    God this thread is full of uneducated scrublords who don't know shit

First of all yes steroids do affect growth plates in adolescents.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/568855_3

Regulation of linear bone growth in children and adolescents comprises a complex interaction of hormones and growth factors. Growth hormone (GH) is considered to be the key hormone regulator of linear growth in childhood. The pubertal increase in growth velocity associated with GH has traditionally been attributed to testicular androgen secretion in boys, and to oestrogens or adrenal androgen secretion in girls. Research data indicating that oestrogen may be the principal hormone stimulating the pubertal growth spurt in boys as well as girls is reviewed. Such an action is mediated by oestrogen receptors (ER-alpha and ER-beta) in the human growth plate, and polymorphisms in the ER gene may influence adult height in healthy subjects. Prepubertal oestradiol concentrations are significantly higher in girls than in boys, explaining sex-related differences in pubertal onset. Men with a disruptive mutation in the ER gene (oestrogen resistance) or in the CYP19 gene (aromatase deficiency) who have no pubertal growth spurt and continue to grow into adulthood due to lack of epiphyseal fusion supports this notion. Furthermore, phenotypic females with complete androgen insensitivity syndrome have a normal female growth spurt despite lack of androgen action. Oestrogens may also influence linear bone growth indirectly via modulation of the GH-insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) axis. Thus, ER blockade diminishes endogenous GH secretion, androgen receptor (AR) blockade increases GH secretion in peripubertal boys, and non-aromatizable androgens [oxandrolone or dihydrotestosterone (DHT)] have no effect on GH secretion. Treatment with aromatase inhibitors reduces circulating IGF-I concentrations in healthy males, and reduces growth in boys with testotoxicosis. Taken together, these findings suggest that oestrogens may, in addition to their direct effects, stimulate GH secretion and thereby increase circulating IGF-I, which in turn may stimulate growth. Thus, oestrogens have important biphasic actions on longitudinal growth in boys as well as in girls. Very low levels of oestrogens may stimulate bone growth without affecting sexual maturation directly at the growth plate as well as through stimulation of the GH-IGF axis, which in turn may stimulate growth. Conversely, higher levels of oestrogens stimulate secondary sexual characteristics and epiphyseal fusion.
    Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2008 Jan;68(1):4-15. Epub 2007 Jul 20. Links
    The role of sex steroids in controlling pubertal growth.
    Perry RJ, Farquharson C, Ahmed SF.

Longitudinal growth, which is primarily due to chondrocytic activity at the level of the epiphyseal growth plate, is influenced by many hormones and growth factors in an endocrine and paracrine manner. Their influence is even more complex during the accelerated growth period of puberty that accounts for about 20% of final adult height. Although abnormalities of growth during puberty are very common, the underlying mechanisms that govern the beginning and cessation of pubertal growth at the level of the growth plate are poorly understood. Sex steroids play a crucial role in pubertal growth both at the systemic level via the GH/IGF-1 axis and at the local level of the epiphyseal growth plate. In both sexes it is now accepted that oestrogen is the critical hormone in controlling growth plate acceleration and fusion. This paper reviews the mechanisms that influence pubertal growth and the problems that are associated with disorders of gonadal function.
    Second of all there is no point in doing steroid cycles unless you've been working out for two to three years because you haven't hit the plateau of your newbie gains which you'll get in the first 6-12 months. It's dumb as shit. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb you're dumb bad post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,443 Posts
    I'm probably never gonna take any roids, because I wanna compete in natty contests.

if I took roids I'd have to look like a monster to even have the slightest chance at a comp

25. Post #25
    BELIEBER
    Dennab
    September 2008
    2,546 Posts
    God this thread is full of uneducated scrublords who don't know shit

First of all yes steroids do affect growth plates in adolescents.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/568855_3

Second of all there is no point in doing steroid cycles unless you've been working out for two to three years because you haven't hit the plateau of your newbie gains which you'll get in the first 6-12 months. It's dumb as shit. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb you're dumb bad post
    This.

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    me posted:
    also by me posted:
    But at any rate, if you're not a dumb ass about AAS you should be 21 at least and by then you should be near finished growing and able to make an educated adult decision.

Do you want take long cold showers together now?

Edited:

Also maybe I'm a dumbass, but where in that study does it suggest that AAS usage will cause premature fusion of the growth plates.

It seems to be suggesting the opposite.

Edited:

You still have to work hard for it, but in the end it's nothing more than cheating your way out.
    Why not settle with your own natural physique?

I'd say use that only if you've reached the age of 25 and make barely to no gains and that is if you've seriously trained, with nutrition and all, longer than only two or four years.
    Like I said before, you're all just looking at this as "lol you want to cheat to get a physique fuck you". I don't really care what someone's use for AAS is, I'm just saying there are legitimate uses for it.

Some guys have reached their genetic potential and want to keep improving their athletic potential, AAS represents a open door for them.

Some guys have pushed their physique as far as it goes naturally, but want to keep getting bigger. AAS allows them to do that.

Some people have degenerative diseases, AAS is literally a life saver for them.

some guys suffer from low testosterone naturally and hate their lives for a reason they cannot understand, AAS can help them more than any amount of therapy.

I could go on but I hope you get the idea.

27. Post #27
    January 2008
    1,130 Posts
    It seems to be suggesting the opposite.
    Well, not really. Due to the hormonal imbalance your body will produce less of said hormone it influences.
    However, I'm not specialized in this subject so I have no idea to what extent AAS usage has influence on the human body.

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    It seems to me from that study, it would be heavy aromatization that could stimulate premature closure. That would probably happen if you didn't have PCT drugs on hand.

29. Post #29
    May 2010
    3,141 Posts
    I'm probably never gonna take any roids, because I wanna compete in natty contests.

if I took roids I'd have to look like a monster to even have the slightest chance at a comp
    but most 'naturals' juiced at one time or another, it`s the sad truth but almost all bodybuilding contests rely on aas use
    even former natural mr olympia admitted to doing it in his 20`s

the competitions only test for like 1,3,5 or 7 years

30. Post #30
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    Pretty much, natty comps are a joke. Smaller localized competitions have a better chance of being clean, but nationals are stuff and you're almost guaranteed to have like a 3:1 ratio of athletes on AAS to athletes who are drug free.

Edited:

Okay okay I pulled that figure out of my ass but still
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    March 2010
    7,896 Posts
    You say that you should only take steroids once you have hit you're natural limit, but IMO for the most part, much larger than that is just gross.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)