1. Post #3761
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,435 Posts
    The text says ""Her goal: beat the hated Black Mesa in the race to develop a functioning portal technology. Days later, that race is lost when Black Mesa successfully deploys an interdimensional gate through which an alien race emerges and effectively ends the outside world."

Aperture lost the race because of the Resonance Cascade. That was the Portal they created. They had been to Xen before, but they didn't actually create a portal which could easily be manipulated like what happened with the Crystal sample. They basically bridged the Gap between the two dimensions.

It probably has been worded incorrectly though.

It's been a while since i've played Half life, but i will play through it again later today.

Anyways, Portal 2 is out soon so i guess we will find out more then.
    It says that because Wolpaw thinks it was the Black Mesas teleportation experiments that caused the Resonance Cascade, when it wasn't, just like he thinks it was in 1998. It's not a major mistake, and it gives a general picture of the situation, but it wasn't exactly how it happened.

The dimensional rift spawned from the crystal sample was controlled by Nihilanth, not Black Mesa. In fact, you try and close it in Half-Life when you launch the satellite, but it doesn't work since Nihilanth is keeping it open, and so Gordon has to kill Nihilanth.

Black Mesa did make easily manipulative portals before the Resonance Cascade, you see lots of them in the chapter Lambda Complex, there are whole puzzles involving them. And then of course the huge ass teleporter that takes you to Xen.

If you ignore the Displacer (I think it's stupid (not to mention not made by Valve), how would a device so little have the power to send you to Xen when it requires a giant reactor to keep the real Xen teleporter in lambda complex running?), Aperture Science could be credited with creating a mobile portal device, since all the portals in Black Mesa are stationary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

2. Post #3762
    January 2011
    141 Posts
    there was like 1 piece of new footage?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3763
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,326 Posts
    It says that because Wolpaw thinks it was the Black Mesas teleportation experiments that caused the Resonance Cascade, when it wasn't, just like he thinks it was in 1998. It's not a major mistake, and it gives a general picture of the situation, but it wasn't exactly how it happened.

The dimensional rift spawned from the crystal sample was controlled by Nihilanth, not Black Mesa. In fact, you try and close it in Half-Life when you launch the satellite, but it doesn't work since Nihilanth is keeping it open, and so Gordon has to kill Nihilanth.

Black Mesa did make easily manipulative portals before the Resonance Cascade, you see lots of them in the chapter Lambda Complex, there are whole puzzles involving them. And then of course the huge ass teleporter that takes you to Xen.

If you ignore the Displacer (I think it's stupid (not to mention not made by Valve), how would a device so little have the power to send you to Xen when it requires a giant reactor to keep the real Xen teleporter in lambda complex running?), Aperture Science could be credited with creating a mobile portal device, since all the portals in Black Mesa are stationary.
    I guess you are correct. I still think that Aperture Science was more successful though (based on what's ingame, i'm sure they both have alot of other things we haven't seen) they made alot of stuff despite not being backed by the government. I just prefer Aperture.

Ironically, it was Black mesa who caused the Apocolypse when they were the one who followed all safety procedures, while Aperture carried on research even after everyone was dead. They had actually planned for the Apocolypse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

4. Post #3764
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,270 Posts
    My friends are at Kapow Comic Con up in London at the moment, got a text from one of them saying that they're playing Portal 2 at the moment.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 13Winner Winner x 4Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #3765
    December 2009
    869 Posts
    there was like 1 piece of new footage?
    They do revisit old parts, but they're updated with things such as new voices and final touches.

Plus, there's a lot more footage than just one clip. For instance there's a clip when you kill your partner, there's a clip at the end of a new single player chamber, there's a clip where there's a new co-op chamber, and plus Stephen Merchant at the old Wheatley scene. There are more, but I'm pretty sure you can find it out yourself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Japan Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #3766
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    5,046 Posts
    Here's the new footage. Sorry, but I don't have a capture card.

What part of Inside Xbox is that? I can't find it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

7. Post #3767
    Yeah i noticed that too now. Gonna fix
    It's been 2 hours, give us our fix because I wanna make a wallpaper for myself outta it

meaning this frendily
    (is that even a word)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

8. Post #3768
    pod
    Makes love to trumpets.
    August 2008
    2,549 Posts
    So wait, now it's the 11th?!?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #3769
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,857 Posts
    So wait, now it's the 11th?!?
    That's the date for the next comic, not a new release date.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #3770
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,258 Posts
    I really hope Valve has optimized the fuck out of this game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #3771
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,563 Posts
    My friends are at Kapow Comic Con up in London at the moment, got a text from one of them saying that they're playing Portal 2 at the moment.

I'd rather get the whole thing on the 19th than play a bit and then wait for the 19th.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #3772
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    18,248 Posts
    saturday morning tv spot
    the best spot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #3773
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,008 Posts
    saturday morning tv spot
    the best spot
    Discovery Channel?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #3774
    December 2009
    710 Posts
    Discovery Channel?
    Yep I just saw it on the Discovery Channel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #3775
    December 2009
    869 Posts
    I wish I had TV.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Japan Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Funny Funny x 4 (list)

16. Post #3776
    April 2011
    131 Posts
    I might preorder on steam, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait until 1 am to actually download it.

17. Post #3777
    December 2009
    710 Posts
    I might preorder on steam, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait until 1 am to actually download it.
    It will available for preload a couple days before release to allow everyone to download it. Then when it is released it is unlocked and you can play.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #3778
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,008 Posts
    So I guess Im not the only one watching Mythbusters and randomly seeing Portal 2 adverts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10 (list)

19. Post #3779
    April 2011
    131 Posts
    It will available for preload a couple days before release to allow everyone to download it. Then when it is released it is unlocked and you can play.
    It'll be released at 12 am PDT, I'm sure.

20. Post #3780
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,017 Posts
    It'll be released at 12 am PDT, I'm sure.
    According to Steams portal page the release is 7am PST
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

21. Post #3781
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,857 Posts
    Or 3PM GMT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #3782
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,017 Posts
    Or 3PM GMT.
    Or 10am EST

23. Post #3783
    April 2011
    131 Posts
    No midnight release? Bullshit.

24. Post #3784
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    11,093 Posts
    Here's the new footage. Sorry, but I don't have a capture card.

Sprintz.

Now with less liver damage.

Edited:

first thing that came into my mind    
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

25. Post #3785
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,017 Posts
    No midnight release? Bullshit.
    Maybe the 7am is their margin of error release time.

Edited:

Available: 19 April 2011

This game will unlock in approximately 1 week, 3 days and 0 hours

heeeeergh

26. Post #3786
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,415 Posts
    Y'know, I hope that the characters get to go to Xen one day, either in the main campaigns or in DLC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #3787
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    11,093 Posts
    Y'know, I hope that the characters get to go to Xen one day, either in the main campaigns or in DLC.
    Maybe in a custom campaing.

HL2 coop with bots.

L4D2 DLC with bots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

28. Post #3788
    October 2010
    765 Posts
    ep2 -> portal2 -> ep3 ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

29. Post #3789
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,581 Posts
    Just wondering,
    why didn't Glados give the co-op robots two eyes? I'm sure they could perform better (and be more human-like) with depth perception.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #3790

January 2010
    646 Posts
    Just wondering,
    why didn't Glados give the co-op robots two eyes? I'm sure they could perform better (and be more human-like) with depth perception.
    I've always assumed that for the combine elite, that have an invisible laser being emitted from their eyes and they measure how long it takes for it to reach their eye again, so they can easily tell how far away something is.

So I'm going to go with that for the portal robots too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #3791
    September 2009
    5,112 Posts
    future technology
    maybe they have 1000 eyes for better depth perception in the one big circle.

Edited:

you can't really argue about technoloy of the future
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #3792
    Resident dragon enthusiast.
    Dennab
    September 2010
    10,153 Posts
    ep2 -> portal2 -> ep3 ?
    Portal 2 takes place hundreds of years after the first Portal, get it right halfwit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

33. Post #3793
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,969 Posts
    Ahaha, that footage

"Let there be light!.... that's.... that's from God. A quote from god- OHWAHFWHAG, oh it's turning, that was dramatic"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #3794
    ~I want you inside me~
    May 2005
    17,360 Posts
    godamnit portal. i''ve been trying to save up for a new camera but i just can't not buy this game.

this is the first time i'm buying a game in over a year, shit maybe even 2 years. this will set me back on buying my camera (games are expensive here in australia) but it's fucking worth it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #3795
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    18,248 Posts
    this is the first time i'm buying a game in over a year, shit maybe even 2 years.
    because this is the only game you can buy in australia in the last 2 years
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Zing Zing x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #3796
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    11,093 Posts
    Portal 2 takes place hundreds of years after the first Portal, get it right halfwit.
    So we play with super old granny chell?

Just joking    
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #3797
    February 2010
    2,872 Posts
    So we play with super old granny chell?

Just joking    
    I still didn't understand how Chell survived those years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Bulgaria Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

38. Post #3798
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    97 Posts
    Someone put her in ze fridge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

39. Post #3799
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    It's confirmed that the glass breaking is not a special effect; look at the end of the xbox video and you can see it

40. Post #3800
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,314 Posts
    godamnit portal. i''ve been trying to save up for a new camera but i just can't not buy this game.

this is the first time i'm buying a game in over a year, shit maybe even 2 years. this will set me back on buying my camera (games are expensive here in australia) but it's fucking worth it.
    get it on steam its like $40 cheaper