1. Post #1761
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,230 Posts
    Ruined a roll of 120 today trying to get it onto the spool that goes inside the dev tank. So frustrated, could spool 35mm fine but 120 was so fiddly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

2. Post #1762
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    Ruined a roll of 120 today trying to get it onto the spool that goes inside the dev tank. So frustrated, could spool 35mm fine but 120 was so fiddly.
    Yeah I had something like that. My spool is adjustable so it can fit 35 and 120 film, but 120 film doesn't have sprockets so the spool doesn't 'take' the film, you just have to jam it in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

3. Post #1763
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,230 Posts
    Yeah I had something like that. My spool is adjustable so it can fit 35 and 120 film, but 120 film doesn't have sprockets so the spool doesn't 'take' the film, you just have to jam it in.
    Learn that for next time, but I did try jamming it in at one point and it was all crumbled and just a pain. Today was just as bad. Loaded Portra into a 6x6 Bronica and shot a few of my friend on the tube into central London, back shut fine before I started shooting. Got to St Pauls and took the camera out, the back opened/was open in the bag when I gripped it by the body and the film no longer light proof. Had a roll of Fuji 400 left so I put it in but it didn't catch when I winded it in, fell on t he floor so it was also no longer light proof. The back of the camera snapped shut on the tube so it must be a problem with the camera.

Such bad luck with film when I really want to get into it. I need to look for my own MF camera as the uni first year ones are so busted up. I love framing a square photograph.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #1764
    November 2010
    287 Posts
    Just got a Mail from my grandfather saying that he's got a Mamiya 35mm film camera in his apartment (my grandparents are currently retired and have been sailing through Europe for like 6 years and have been home about 2 months per year..) with 50, 150 and wide angle 20 mm lenses that i could borrow.

pretty excited, but he had no idea what model it was, still i don't think it will be any worse than my Canonet 28 which doesn't have a working battery compartment, i.e no working automatic shutter speed, locked at 1/30.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

5. Post #1765
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,097 Posts
    I just scored a Pentax K1000 and 28mm f2.8, it's in perfect condition, original box, slip, time and place where it was bought :D I'm so amped to buy some film and shoot with it, I always wanted a film SLR.

pikshurz

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

6. Post #1766
    March 2011
    654 Posts
    Thats a good camera you've got there, since its very well made and Pentax has always been a choice for students for some reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

7. Post #1767
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,097 Posts
    Thats a good camera you've got there, since its very well made and Pentax has always been a choice for students for some reason.
    Awesome, thanks man! Now I need to find places that sell lenses. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events

8. Post #1768
    March 2011
    654 Posts
    Awesome, thanks man! Now I need to find places that sell lenses. :)
    The first thing you should get is a 50mm-ish, luckily you get a choice with pentax lenses as theres a f/1.7 version and a f/1.4 version I think, and don't forget the Russians Helios 44K-4 or an M42 adaptor and some M42 lenses generally cheap.

I would say ebay but you never know what you'll get in the end
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1769
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,097 Posts
    The first thing you should get is a 50mm-ish, luckily you get a choice with pentax lenses as theres a f/1.7 version and a f/1.4 version I think, and don't forget the Russians Helios 44K-4 or an M42 adaptor and some M42 lenses generally cheap.

I would say ebay but you never know what you'll get in the end
    Never forget the Russians! Thank you again!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events

10. Post #1770

January 2012
    37 Posts
    What's wrong with them?
    Well the ones I take outside come out decent |:

Does anyone know why it comes out grainy inside buildings?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Gibraltar Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #1771
    March 2011
    654 Posts
    Its Massively underexposed indoors you would need to drop to about f/2 1/30th at 200iso and it will still be grainy. you may even need to use a 800 iso film to even be able to handhold indoors
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #1772

January 2012
    37 Posts
    Its Massively underexposed indoors you would need to drop to about f/2 1/30th at 200iso and it will still be grainy. you may even need to use a 800 iso film to even be able to handhold indoors
    Thank you! I'm still learning how to use film, its so tricky since you don't know what you got until its developed but at the same time I like it like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Gibraltar Show Events

13. Post #1773
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,707 Posts
    for future reference york, use [t] instead of [img] when your pictures are huge and it'll shrink pics down to clickable thumbnails
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #1774

January 2012
    37 Posts
    Thanks daj. And my Uncle has been invited to a cat walk and is going to ask if I can come along! :D
    (Also he is giving me his old film camera, the SLR YASHICA FX3 2000.)

15. Post #1775
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,707 Posts
    Thanks daj. And my Uncle has been invited to a cat walk and is going to ask if I can come along! :D
    (Also he is giving me his old film camera, the SLR YASHICA FX3 2000.)
    that's a good camera, just make sure to triple check it's still working proper before loading film, I bet you're gonna have to buy some new batteries
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

16. Post #1776

January 2012
    37 Posts
    Oh yeh guys I put expired film in the fridge but popped the tops off the top and put them back on is it ruined now? :C

17. Post #1777
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,702 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #1778
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,945 Posts
    Oh yeh guys I put expired film in the fridge but popped the tops off the top and put them back on is it ruined now? :C
    as in, the top of this?

if so, you're fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

19. Post #1779

January 2012
    37 Posts
    as in, the top of this?

if so, you're fine.
    Yeh thats what I meant and thanks :D

20. Post #1780

January 2012
    37 Posts
    Oh God the lenses my Uncle gave me have fungus |:

21. Post #1781
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,707 Posts
    Oh God the lenses my Uncle gave me have fungus |:
    one of the 50mm's I got in the set of the black Nikon FE and some lenses (thankfully the same lens that has issues focusing to its extents, so I'm not too buggered about it) has some odd golden dust inside one of the elements that just kind of floats around. The strangest part is that the dust is APPARENTLY from what looks like a fucking mealworm, who's husk can occasionally be shaken into view. I really should take a picture of that thing

SPEAKING OF THE BLACK FE, I confirmed today that it's working fine, sans metering, which means I'm stuck at the mechanical 1/90 setting. Not too bad.

Shot some film like a tourist from my sister's car as we drove to a gig in the loop, got some moderate results, and a good handful of terribly shaky results. Oh well, have some dip/triptychs taken with my phone because I don't have the scanner at my house and I just got the stuff back

highway through the city

I really want to get a nice high res scan of that skyline pic, I love it. Also the left pic started floating away because of the fan in my room when I took the pic but whatever you get the pairing.

3 different times, same day, average view from my room
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #1782
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,241 Posts
    the shot of the cars is beautiful dai, can't wait to see it scanned!

23. Post #1783

January 2012
    37 Posts
    Well going to leave the lense out in the sun and see if it kills the fungus if not see if any Jewish or Indian shops are up to cleaning it for a cheap price. |:

24. Post #1784
    September 2011
    225 Posts

(User was banned for this post ("Image Macro" - daijitsu))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Denmark Show Events

25. Post #1785

January 2012
    37 Posts
    Sorry if it came out like that its just here in Gibraltar all camera shops are owned by Indians or Jewish. :C

26. Post #1786
    March 2011
    654 Posts
    Someone stop me going on ebay I ended up winning a Praktica Super TL2 for 13.98 with P&P.

I already have enough cameras from once soviet occupied countries.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #1787

January 2012
    37 Posts
    Looks like I'm sticking with the Vivitar V2000

I pretty much feel like this :C
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Gibraltar Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

28. Post #1788
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,230 Posts
    The Zenza's uni have are pretty busted up, can't take out Hasselblads and RB/RZs till 2nd year but thankfully these are in quality condition.

Bought 19 worth of Ektar, Portra 400 & 800. Can't wait to see the results.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

29. Post #1789
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,702 Posts
    ah you lucky guy
    can't wait to see your stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #1790
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,110 Posts
    Found another Patterson System 4 tank and it has room for developing two rolls at once.
    Too bad between two tanks I only have two spools.

It's a pity 110 film isn't easy to get anymore. I really want to try out my Auto 110. I found it while looking for my timer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #1791
    March 2011
    654 Posts
    Found another Patterson System 4 tank and it has room for developing two rolls at once.
    Too bad between two tanks I only have two spools.

It's a pity 110 film isn't easy to get anymore. I really want to try out my Auto 110. I found it while looking for my timer.
    If you are in the UK I could send you a roll that expired in 84, it should still be usable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #1792
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,110 Posts
    Vancouver.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

33. Post #1793
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,194 Posts
    wee
    got my first film SLR now
    I know I said a Pentax K1000 last time but apparently he sold it and forgot he did, so I got a Pentax ME Super with a basic 50mm lens instead
    Tomorrow I'm gonna go out and start taking photos. My first roll is gonna be shit.

34. Post #1794
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    wee
    got my first film SLR now
    I know I said a Pentax K1000 last time but apparently he sold it and forgot he did, so I got a Pentax ME Super with a basic 50mm f/1.2 lens instead
    Tomorrow I'm gonna go out and start taking photos. My first roll is gonna be shit.
    Basic F1.2 or F1:2 lens? There's a big difference and I wouldn't really call the F1.2 lens 'basic'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

35. Post #1795
    October 2005
    7,194 Posts
    Basic F1.2 or F1:2 lens? There's a big difference and I wouldn't really call the F1.2 lens 'basic'
    oh shit, sorry. I had just woken up when I typed that and was still getting over the excitement of getting the thing. The lens says SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm

36. Post #1796
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    oh shit, sorry. I had just woken up when I typed that and was still getting over the excitement of getting the thing. The lens says SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm
    Don't sweat it, I just had a feeling you mixed them up. Shame you didn't have the F1.2 version though!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

37. Post #1797
    October 2005
    7,194 Posts
    Don't sweat it, I just had a feeling you mixed them up. Shame you didn't have the F1.2 version though!
    That'd be amazing
    Too bad most lenses are way out of my price range. Though I saw some third party k-mount lenses on keh for like $20. Maybe for shits and giggles I'll order one. Don't have much to lose, really...
    But yeah, gonna go out today (the sun came out!) and take some photos with my mom in a bit. This'll be fun.

38. Post #1798
    October 2005
    7,194 Posts
    I loaded the bloody camera wrong the first time. And my second roll I basically wasted by rewinding it too far to make sure the sprockets caught. Blagh.
    I'm gonna make this third roll count.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #1799
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,702 Posts

some old candid film from september
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #1800
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,181 Posts
    I've finnally got an excuse to start playing with film.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)