1. Post #2081
    January 2008
    1,840 Posts
    was thinking of buying a Yashica Electro 35 GTN, and tooling around with that. it'd be the first time i'd ever really used a rangefinder. any opinions? perhaps a better camera i should go with?
    Do it. I have the original Electro, was my first rangefinder also. Was a lot of fun to use, easy to tell if in focus, even in some darker areas, and the pictures that come out are awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2082
    November 2009
    1,193 Posts
    Do it. I have the original Electro, was my first rangefinder also. Was a lot of fun to use, easy to tell if in focus, even in some darker areas, and the pictures that come out are awesome.
    Alright, sweet, found one on Ebay for a good deal I think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Clas...ht_4982wt_1396

edit: actually, wait, cut that, that shit's in india. i'm gonna go with a GSN instead. i've learned my lesson from ordering overseas, shit comes in FUCKED up.

edit edit: actually, scratch that. going for the GT again, this one is in great condition, and relatively cheap. the shipping is reasonable, and it's within the U.S. the only issue is that i'm bidding for this mutha fugga, and i will not lose.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #2083
    January 2008
    193 Posts

The Crown by Headcrabs, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #2084
    April 2011
    71 Posts
    Just developed my first roll of B&W film on the F3 I snatched on ebay, some nice tones (ilford FP4):

untitled by harry.quast, on Flickr

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #2085
    November 2009
    1,193 Posts
    bought the yashica.
    now, we play the waiting game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #2086

June 2012
    1 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #2087
    May 2010
    5,401 Posts
    I was thinking of getting a film camera just for messing around and i found that on ebay there is actually a lot of choice for under 20, any make or model that you guys recommend? I would like being able to change the focus point manually as well as the apperture and such so I think an SLR with manual focus lens is essential, other than that just anything that is good for a newby?

Edited:

Oh something else I forgot to mention, one thing I dont like about film is that it sometimes looks like the photo is 50 years old, I know that this depends on the settings and whatnot but anything I should keep an eye out for?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #2088
    March 2011
    646 Posts
    Camera wise I like using Zenits they are sturdy all metal and all manual.
    Another good option is a Praktica, again all metal and all manual.

This is a good Praktica
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRAKTICA-S...#ht_500wt_1169
    If you do bid on that one I will swap a Praktica strap for the one that comes with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #2089
    November 2009
    1,193 Posts
    I was thinking of getting a film camera just for messing around and i found that on ebay there is actually a lot of choice for under 20, any make or model that you guys recommend? I would like being able to change the focus point manually as well as the apperture and such so I think an SLR with manual focus lens is essential, other than that just anything that is good for a newby?

Edited:

Oh something else I forgot to mention, one thing I dont like about film is that it sometimes looks like the photo is 50 years old, I know that this depends on the settings and whatnot but anything I should keep an eye out for?
    I'm going with what Communist said, Zenit is very good in my opinion. I own a TTL, my only complaint is the lack of dynamic shutter speeds. It only goes up to 1/500th. Olympus and Pentax make some pretty decent SLRs also. Or, you can raise your price a bit, and go with a Canon AE-1, I own that, VERY nice camera.

10. Post #2090
    March 2011
    646 Posts
    Actually I looked again at that auction its body only :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #2091
    May 2010
    5,401 Posts
    I'm going with what Communist said, Zenit is very good in my opinion. I own a TTL, my only complaint is the lack of dynamic shutter speeds. It only goes up to 1/500th. Olympus and Pentax make some pretty decent SLRs also. Or, you can raise your price a bit, and go with a Canon AE-1, I own that, VERY nice camera.
    funny you should mention the canon AE-1, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1708649892...#ht_500wt_1204, I was going to bid for it but I got held up and run out of time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #2092
    March 2011
    646 Posts
    I'll take it you are in the UK, If so I'm sure I could find you a camera in your budget from my lot of cameras
    Just tell me the budget and I'll sort out a camera.

13. Post #2093
    May 2010
    5,401 Posts
    I'll take it you are in the UK, If so I'm sure I could find you a camera in your budget from my lot of cameras
    Just tell me the budget and I'll sort out a camera.
    tbh im just looking atm (and if a real bargain pops up then i might just go for it) as im going on holiday soon for 2 months and there is no way for me to take the camera with me.

14. Post #2094
    March 2011
    646 Posts
    Right then. One day I'll get rid of some of my cameras
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #2095
    July 2007
    630 Posts
    Got another Canon T90 today in mint condition with original eyecup for 35 euros. So now I have 2 T90s
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #2096
    November 2009
    1,193 Posts
    funny you should mention the canon AE-1, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1708649892...#ht_500wt_1204, I was going to bid for it but I got held up and run out of time
    i'd really recommend that one, it's a very nice camera. the F-1 is also really good.

17. Post #2097
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,945 Posts
    picking this up on Monday:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #2098
    March 2011
    646 Posts
    Why must film be so expensive, it cost me 6.95 for a roll of Ilford XP2.

19. Post #2099
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    Niche market I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #2100
    March 2011
    646 Posts
    The only two shops that sell film in my town both charge about 7 for the Fuji and Ilford C41 films. I think I'm going to have to go back to buying off the internet.

21. Post #2101
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    You're dutch right? You can always buy Hema-film! :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #2102
    July 2007
    630 Posts
    You're dutch right? You can always buy Hema-film! :P
    No, he's british ;) (me and DoubleDD are dutch though)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #2103
    March 2011
    646 Posts
    I would like to try some of this Dutch film, it can't be more expensive than what I could get at jessops. Even with postage.

24. Post #2104
    January 2008
    1,840 Posts
    Why must film be so expensive, it cost me 6.95 for a roll of Ilford XP2.
    Holy shit how does that make sense... It's only $6 here in the states from B&H...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #2105
    March 2011
    646 Posts
    Holy shit how does that make sense... It's only $6 here in the states from B&H...
    Well how on earth does it cost less in the USA when its made in England?

Cheapest on ebay is 5.86 for 24exp
    6.86 for 36exp

While I'm on the topic of over-priced film look at the bloody price 5 packs of polaroid film will go for
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polaroid-6...#ht_500wt_1169

26. Post #2106
    January 2008
    1,840 Posts
    Well how on earth does it cost less in the USA when its made in England?

Cheapest on ebay is 5.86 for 24exp
    6.86 for 36exp

While I'm on the topic of over-priced film look at the bloody price 5 packs of polaroid film will go for
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polaroid-6...#ht_500wt_1169
    That was my point, Ilford is based over there... Complete bull... Sorry man.

Though, the Polaroid kinda makes sense, as it's not made anymore and some people can be crazy about things no longer in production.

27. Post #2107
    November 2009
    9,377 Posts
    Lucky you... I haven't been able to find a roll of 620 film for my Brownie for under $20...

You know what's bad about selling old polaroid film (and polaroid film in general)? At least half of whatever lot you buy will be expired, unless you're buying from the Impossible Project. Then it's just expensive.

28. Post #2108
    March 2011
    646 Posts
    By now I think all polaroid film must be expired, I don't know when the stopped production but the latest dated pack I've seen is 2009. And impossible project film is 20 for 8 shots IIRC

29. Post #2109
    November 2009
    9,377 Posts
    By now I think all polaroid film must be expired, I don't know when the stopped production but the latest dated pack I've seen is 2009. And impossible project film is 20 for 8 shots IIRC
    My local Walgreens carried some film that would have expired in 2013, and I'm sure there's a period after the expiration where it can still be used, but it's really not worth the cash it would require for the film.

Impossible Project... It serves the niche market by producing small batches of film every year, and then when it's gone, it's gone until the next cycle. That's why it's so expensive, and people pay a premium for it.

Unlike the days of yesteryear, Polaroid film is no longer a dime a dozen commodity.

30. Post #2110
    January 2008
    1,840 Posts
    Lucky you... I haven't been able to find a roll of 620 film for my Brownie for under $20...

You know what's bad about selling old polaroid film (and polaroid film in general)? At least half of whatever lot you buy will be expired, unless you're buying from the Impossible Project. Then it's just expensive.
    Get a dark bag/changing bag/darkroom and learn to respool 120 film onto a 620 reel. Then just ask for your reels back when you get it developed/develop yourself. The bag will pay for itself after 2 or 3 rolls that way.

31. Post #2111
    November 2009
    9,377 Posts
    Get a dark bag/changing bag/darkroom and learn to respool 120 film onto a 620 reel. Then just ask for your reels back when you get it developed/develop yourself. The bag will pay for itself after 2 or 3 rolls that way.
    I don't even know if the camera's worth using... There's probably a light leak or something. I want to test it out before I work on fixing it up, see if it even is worth fixing.

32. Post #2112
    January 2008
    1,840 Posts
    I don't even know if the camera's worth using... There's probably a light leak or something. I want to test it out before I work on fixing it up, see if it even is worth fixing.
    Ahh, I thought this was a working camera. Even still, it might not hurt to get a small changing bag, never know when you could use it.

On another note, finally pushing myself along to get supplies and start developing this stuff myself. Just won a tank and some reels on ebay, now to get the rest from B&H... Bankruptcy here I come!

33. Post #2113
    November 2009
    9,377 Posts
    Ahh, I thought this was a working camera. Even still, it might not hurt to get a small changing bag, never know when you could use it.

On another note, finally pushing myself along to get supplies and start developing this stuff myself. Just won a tank and some reels on ebay, now to get the rest from B&H... Bankruptcy here I come!
    Well, it should still work. It's been sitting in a drawer in my great uncle's spare bedroom for 70+ years. The only reason he stopped using it was to buy a Brownie Hawkeye.

34. Post #2114
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    I would like to try some of this Dutch film, it can't be more expensive than what I could get at jessops. Even with postage.
    Hema is a chain of stores that sells cakes, school-accessories and other stuff; they packs with three rolls of 200iso film which you pay 6,95 for; if I'm not mistaken it's just re-branded from Kodak.
    In the bigger cities you get free developing coupons with that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #2115
    March 2011
    646 Posts
    Hema is a chain of stores that sells cakes, school-accessories and other stuff; they packs with three rolls of 200iso film which you pay 6,95 for; if I'm not mistaken it's just re-branded from Kodak.
    In the bigger cities you get free developing coupons with that.
    See thats great compared to here Kodak film is 4 a roll when its not sold in poundland or on offer in sainsburys for 50p a roll.

36. Post #2116
    November 2009
    1,193 Posts
    My local Walgreens sells a 4-pack of Fujicolor Superia 400 for $10. I think they sell a 4-pack of Kodak B&W 400 for the same price also.

Edit: Gentlemen, was considering investing into a film scanner. Any ideas on which I should get?

37. Post #2117
    January 2008
    1,840 Posts
    Well, just bought a whole bunch of developing chemicals and supplies, let's see how well this whole learning to do it myself thing goes...

My local Walgreens sells a 4-pack of Fujicolor Superia 400 for $10. I think they sell a 4-pack of Kodak B&W 400 for the same price also.

Edit: Gentlemen, was considering investing into a film scanner. Any ideas on which I should get?
    Epson v500, v600 are both very good. I use a v600 all the time, university has two in the library for public use, after I get a roll developed I just walk on over there for a bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #2118
    November 2009
    1,193 Posts
    Just curious, what's everyone's favorite film to use?

39. Post #2119
    35mm? Kodak Ektar

I've heard good things about Kodak Portra but never got the chance to get myself a roll.

Fujifilm Superia if I want to get "ubercool instagram shots".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events

40. Post #2120
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    Kodakt Ektar 100
    Fujifilm Superia 200/400
    Kodak T-max 400
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events