1. Post #41
    October 2008
    503 Posts
    Thanks buddy. 14.99 is a bit expensive to develop the Ilford B&W but I'll try and get it done over the next week :) I've got a 24 shot roll in this baby now, gonna be using it definitely on paddy's day :)
    This one of the 200ASA pushed to 1000

And here's a medium format one of my sister knitting. Made with a completely manual TLR from the 70's

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    278 Posts
    That 1000 ASA shot isn't bad at all! I like the grain too. I went to the camera shop today and apparently they do Ilford B&W but it'll take 2 weeks because they must send it away :/ recommend I develop my own?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,073 Posts
    And here's a medium format one of my sister knitting. Made with a completely manual TLR from the 70's

This is nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    I just got a roll back. Cost me 10 euros. They better have some godlike quality or else!!!
    I let them put the photos on a cd so I might post some later on.

Ok got some:

Shot with a Pentax ME Super. Obviously no editing has been done whatsoever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,942 Posts
    Shot with a Pentax ME Super. Obviously no editing has been done whatsoever
    I disagree with the notion of "no editing because it's film".
    1) When the lab scans it they are essentially editing it, choosing levels/curves for you, what if you don't like the way that they choose those settings?
    2) Saying that you don't edit film 'cause it's film is the same as saying that you wouldn't clean up a recording of an acoustic guitar because it's "acoustic".

at any rate here's some of mine from the last month:

time bomb teddy bears by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

riding the line by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

apartments by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

sun, trees & office buildings by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

next station: queens park by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

train to perth by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

Favourite here:

tree with steps by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

stacked chairs and tables by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

another favourite:

clouds by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

stairs down by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

wall art reflections by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

what do you guys think? if you want to see the film / camera I have them in the flickr tags .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

6. Post #46
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,335 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

7. Post #47
    March 2010
    4,435 Posts
    I have a film camera, Nikon FE 2, but it requires batteries that I don't have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,808 Posts
    I have never used film before but I found one of these bad boys in my mothers camera stash:

Apparently it's a quite good compact camera and praised by many famous photographers. Any thoughts?
    I don't know much about shooting in film, but isn't it expensive? Seeing as you can't see the pictures you have taken directly, do you have to develop them or what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,690 Posts
    Just received my Canon T70, when I get some pictures developed I'll post them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

10. Post #50
    RESIDENT ASBESTOS OBSESSIVE
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    Hoping my Zenit 11 will arrive soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,710 Posts
    My grandfather has a 8mm motion camera, and a projector too.
    Too bad it takes so much effort and money to transfer to a readily available digital medium or else I would be all over that camera.

And the stock, too. I'd have to find someone who sells it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Portugal Show Events

12. Post #52
    DD's 10 year old
    April 2010
    16,882 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,907 Posts
    I have never used film before but I found one of these bad boys in my mothers camera stash:

Apparently it's a quite good compact camera and praised by many famous photographers. Any thoughts?
    I don't know much about shooting in film, but isn't it expensive? Seeing as you can't see the pictures you have taken directly, do you have to develop them or what?
    Film photography is like nothing you've ever tried if you're a digital only shooter. You have to really think before you press the shutter, and the added pressure of money ontop of the small exposure count really hits you hard. You can get the film developed at most good camera shops or even grocery stores.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,335 Posts
    Film photography is like nothing you've ever tried if you're a digital only shooter. You have to really think before you press the shutter, and the added pressure of money ontop of the small exposure count really hits you hard. You can get the film developed at most good camera shops or even grocery stores.
    I don't really feel that with 35mm as much as I do medium format. Still a valid point though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,590 Posts
    the "24 exposures that cost you money for every mistake" thing is part of my training exercise when helping out friends. I hand them my D5000 with the screen flipped in so you don't get to review/delete stuff, and use a crappy 128mb card I found so they get about 10 shots in RAW. The fear of mistakes makes them take days to fill the card
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,808 Posts
    Fortunately, my sisters boyfriend is a former photographer and did everything in film and I think he developed his own photos at home, so maybe I can use his studio.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,907 Posts
    Fortunately, my sisters boyfriend is a former photographer and did everything in film and I think he developed his own photos at home, so maybe I can use his studio.
    Look up some tutorials, you can do B&W with a bottle of chemicals (I forget the name) and black coffee.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,942 Posts
    Look up some tutorials, you can do B&W with a bottle of chemicals (I forget the name) and black coffee.
    Your talking about caffenol! you will still need fixer which as far as I know you can't make yourself.

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,907 Posts
    Your talking about caffenol! you will still need fixer which as far as I know you can't make yourself.
    Yeah Fixer was the name :) You can pick up a bottle of that at your LCS from about $15 onwards in terms of quality and quantity.

20. Post #60
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    I've managed to fix my OM-10 and get hold of a Zenit 11, so you should be seeing some film shots from me soon. I prefer the Zenit 11 however due to the fact that is it completely manual, the meter isn't even coupled. Plus it has more character and a better feel to it.

21. Post #61

November 2010
    122 Posts
    I'm reviving this !
    heres some recent shots

what do you think, FP?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,690 Posts
    Actually most of us film photographers just post in Creative Photography thread right now.
    But great shots andy, some are a tad generic, but others are great. What film and camera do you use?

23. Post #63

November 2010
    122 Posts
    O.
    I will head over that ways. Thank you =]

thank you ! :) i took most of them in west point, new york.
    I have an '84 Minolta Maxum 7000

24. Post #64

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    some b&w films use a c41 development process, probably best to use those if you want to shoot b&w without having issues getting it developed

25. Post #65
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    some b&w films use a c41 development process, probably best to use those if you want to shoot b&w without having issues getting it developed
    Ilford XP2 is amazing.

Edited:

I'm reviving this !
    heres some recent shots

what do you think, FP?
    10, 8, 3, 2 and 1 are amazing.

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,690 Posts
    To be honest I was displeased with the performance of the Ilford XP2 for its price.. Was expecting it to be at least as good as PAN 400, but it wasn't...

27. Post #67
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    My XP2 came out great, I love the grain it has.

28. Post #68

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    i was reading a flickr discusion about c41 b&w last night and most of them preferred the kodak bw400cn, i havnt tried one myself yet i only just used my first roll of colour and i think i fucked up loading a roll of fp4 as it unraveled a bit so it might have been exposed

29. Post #69
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,942 Posts
    120/220 sure, easy enough to fuck up. but 35mm... really? it comes in a ready to use canister
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

30. Post #70

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    it was 120 i was loading

31. Post #71
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,942 Posts
    it was 120 i was loading
    which camera?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

32. Post #72
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,090 Posts
    I haven't shot much film before, but I'm really interested in the Canon EOS 3.

There's one on Ebay for 156.99, and I might get that one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

33. Post #73
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I use film primarily.

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,217 Posts
    Been bidding on Nikon film bodies today and hoping I can get something for under 50. Haven't shot film since I was a kid with a disposable HURRRRR

Seriously though, I'd really like to try it as it forces you to not be lazy, although I don't really have that problem as I do quite a bit of thinking and tinkering before taking shots.

35. Post #75
    Sometimes i fall down :(
    July 2008
    3,192 Posts
    I found these two in my drawer.

And a Canon AE-5 in my parents closet.

36. Post #76
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,090 Posts
    That AE-1 you have a picture of there looks awesome.

I really like cameras with that sort of look.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    511 Posts
    How much would a roll of film cost to get developed in GBP?

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,690 Posts
    In my country it costs 2 Lt which is approximately 0.51.

39. Post #79
    February 2010
    9,767 Posts
    I have an old soviet FED-3 film camera. Haven't used it in ages, though.
    I don't have a pic of it, but it looks exactly like this

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ukraine Show Events

40. Post #80

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    anyone know a reliable way to fake a uk student id? every film developer i look at offers at least 10% discount sometimes upto 30% to students
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Winner Winner x 2 (list)