1. Post #1721
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,943 Posts
    In the market for an Olympus XA as a small camera I can take everywhere.
    Anyone have some experience with them? How are they compared to normal SLR's in terms of operation and image quality?
    someone is finally listening to me! They are incredible cameras, fucking awesome lens and the usability is just perfect.

these are the photos that I've taken with mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhasleh...7626342161739/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #1722
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    someone is finally listening to me! They are incredible cameras, fucking awesome lens and the usability is just perfect.

these are the photos that I've taken with mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhasleh...7626342161739/
    Alllllllrighty then, bought one.
    One question though, what's the difference between the small lens in the XA and a lens like you would find on an SLR? Will it give equall results or is it worse than a standard lens like, say, a 50mm?

Edited:

Those were two questions!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

3. Post #1723
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,111 Posts
    So I've pretty much never done film photography before. A friend of my mom's has a Pentax K1000 lying around (probably with whatever lens came with it - 50 mm f/2, I believe) that he'll dig out and give to me in the next few weeks. So.. Is this a decent camera for a beginner?
    Also, do you guys develop your own photos or do you send it out to places?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #1724
    September 2011
    225 Posts
    So I've pretty much never done film photography before. A friend of my mom's has a Pentax K1000 lying around (probably with whatever lens came with it - 50 mm f/2, I believe) that he'll dig out and give to me in the next few weeks. So.. Is this a decent camera for a beginner?
    Also, do you guys develop your own photos or do you send it out to places?
    Hi there,
    I have a Pentax myself, from around that same period. It's not the same model (mine is a Spotmatic II), however they should be comparable. I love mine! It's a lovely, beautiful camera.

I still get mine sent out, but I'm still looking for my own equipment.

Edited:

Untitled by GuruLongie, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #1725
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,557 Posts
    Just finished my first roll of 400tx, a friend of mine is going to teach me how to develop it later this month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #1726
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,943 Posts
    Alllllllrighty then, bought one.
    One question though, what's the difference between the small lens in the XA and a lens like you would find on an SLR? Will it give equall results or is it worse than a standard lens like, say, a 50mm?

Edited:

Those were two questions!
    the crazy olympus engineers used what's called a retrofocal lens design, they basically put the rear element of a typical lens on the front and the front element on the back. That let them put the lens much closer to the film than what's otherwise possible.

Not sure what you mean by 'better/worse than 50mm' it's a 35mm f2.8 lens and those specs are comparable no matter matter which camera you use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #1727
    March 2011
    634 Posts
    Finished a roll to test my Zorki 4, the roll has been through the Zenit TTL as it was dying, so some shots are overlapped.

A self shot in an awkward way

The awkward way to use a camera and flash by CommunistWolf, on Flickr

Street by CommunistWolf, on Flickr

Newcastle Theatre Royal by CommunistWolf, on Flickr
    I climbed to the top of Newcastle's New Castle Keep

Tyne Bridge From the Keep by CommunistWolf, on Flickr

Cathedral from New Castle Keep by CommunistWolf, on Flickr

Millennium bridge from the Keep by CommunistWolf, on Flickr

and then I went and got it developed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

8. Post #1728

January 2012
    37 Posts
    My mom bought me film on the way back from work today it was lowered so she couldn't resist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Gibraltar Show Events

9. Post #1729
    April 2009
    824 Posts
    Got my prints back finally from my AE-1P. I used cheap 400 iso fujifilm xtra.

02-16-2012 03;12;14PM by Kristian Carreon, on Flickr

02-16-2012 03;16;29PM by Kristian Carreon, on Flickr

34/366 by Kristian Carreon, on Flickr

29/366 by Kristian Carreon, on Flickr

02-16-2012 03;22;35PM by Kristian Carreon, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #1730
    March 2011
    634 Posts
    That cheap 400 iso fujifilm x-tra is one of my favourite films.
    Its really the only 400 iso film I used so its going to be one f my favourites/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #1731
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    That cheap 400 iso fujifilm x-tra is one of my favourite films.
    Its really the only 400 iso film I used so its going to be one f my favourites/
    I really like it too. It's pretty good for what it is

12. Post #1732
    March 2011
    634 Posts
    The best price I found it in retail is £12 for 3 or £6 a roll. Its a bloody brilliant film

The only sunset picture I took that I like was with this film

Tyne Bridge Sunset by CommunistWolf, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #1733

January 2012
    37 Posts
    Guys thinking of developing my own film, would it be cheaper to develop it and let them scan it?

14. Post #1734
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,943 Posts
    Guys thinking of developing my own film, would it be cheaper to develop it and let them scan it?
    the reverse is what I do.

I get my colour dev'd for $2.50 a roll and scan at home (self-scanning gives way way way more control). for B&W I do that in my laundry. The colour chems are a lot harder to work with and are also rather dangerous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #1735

January 2012
    37 Posts
    the reverse is what I do.

I get my colour dev'd for $2.50 a roll and scan at home (self-scanning gives way way way more control). for B&W I do that in my laundry. The colour chems are a lot harder to work with and are also rather dangerous.
    What scanner do you use?

16. Post #1736
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,860 Posts
    epson v500
    at least that's what i think everyone uses
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

17. Post #1737
    July 2007
    620 Posts
    yeah basicly everyone here uses the epson v500.
    I think i am the only one who uses a real filmscanner (old as hell though), the Nikon Coolscan III.

18. Post #1738
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,362 Posts
    v500 is cheap and available, and does a usable enough job. You can use it to scan normal shit too.

From what I understand, it's basically a watered down v700 which although isn't 'real', is used by quite a few active professionals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #1739

January 2012
    37 Posts
    Thanks guys :D

20. Post #1740
    March 2011
    634 Posts
    Just got a Voigtlander Bessa a folding camera from about 1935 and it uses 120 film.
    Do shops have a problem with 6x9 frame size?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #1741
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,826 Posts
    Just got a Voigtlander Bessa a folding camera from about 1935 and it uses 120 film.
    Do shops have a problem with 6x9 frame size?
    depends on where you live, but 120 film isn't something 'problematic', just uncommon enough that it probably needs some extra attention in getting it where it needs to be. I know around here we don't have many dedicated film developing locations left so any store I go to will TAKE the 120, then ship it off to some place down in the city. It cost me like $26 to get a single roll developed due to shipping and handling fees (thanks to the guy behind the counter for telling me an in-house price than charging me for the shipping AFTER I got back). Alternatively, use the money on gas and drive to the location yourself, or ship it without the middle man.

so, if that's your case, at least take a couple rolls before sending them out so it cost less because you ship the lot of them together

22. Post #1742
    March 2011
    634 Posts
    depends on where you live, but 120 film isn't something 'problematic', just uncommon enough that it probably needs some extra attention in getting it where it needs to be. I know around here we don't have many dedicated film developing locations left so any store I go to will TAKE the 120, then ship it off to some place down in the city. It cost me like $26 to get a single roll developed due to shipping and handling fees (thanks to the guy behind the counter for telling me an in-house price than charging me for the shipping AFTER I got back). Alternatively, use the money on gas and drive to the location yourself, or ship it without the middle man.

so, if that's your case, at least take a couple rolls before sending them out so it cost less because you ship the lot of them together
    I have a shop that should be able to do it, if not I'll just try to do it myself but I'm sure I read somewhere that some shops may have a problem with the 6x9 frame size

23. Post #1743
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    xpost from creative thread

film shite

silhouette by codenamecueball, on Flickr

milngavie by codenamecueball, on Flickr

up arthurs seat by codenamecueball, on Flickr

trees by codenamecueball, on Flickr

ewan taking a photo by codenamecueball, on Flickr

selfie by codenamecueball, on Flickr

glasgow central low level by codenamecueball, on Flickr

defective door by codenamecueball, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #1744
    March 2011
    634 Posts
    Also I got 2 rolls of fuji press 800 for a pound each

25. Post #1745
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,362 Posts
    Shinya Arimoto’s fridge.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #1746
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,928 Posts
    Are those yellow bottles juice or developing fluids?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

27. Post #1747
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,362 Posts
    Welch's HC 110 Lemonade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

28. Post #1748
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,860 Posts
    color film tastes so much better than b/w
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #1749
    November 2009
    1,171 Posts
    i imagine color film would taste like skittles, and b&w would taste like chocolate milk.

does that make me a fat ass?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #1750
    August 2008
    627 Posts
    I just got a Nikon FE a few weeks ago from my dad with a sigma macro lens on it, works really well, just need to scan the pictures then I'll post them here. He found a Konica Autoreflex TC in our basement today as well, with a standard lens and a Hoya 80-200mm lens. Not sure what else the Hoya lens will fit, besides the Konica.

31. Post #1751
    July 2007
    620 Posts
    Just dropped off 8 rolls of film (4xBW and 4Colour including 1 APS roll) to be developed.
    Hehe, last time i had film developed was like half an year ago

32. Post #1752

January 2012
    37 Posts
    Just dropped off 8 rolls of film (4xBW and 4Colour including 1 APS roll) to be developed.
    Hehe, last time i had film developed was like half an year ago
    How much did it cost?

33. Post #1753
    July 2007
    620 Posts
    How much did it cost?
    For APS film it costs 2,90 euro per roll.
    35mm C41 and BW film costs 2,59 euro per roll.
    (E6 would cost 2,75 euro per roll and framing them +2.75 euro)
    Our Dutch FP'ers who want to know where I'm letting them being developed: It's the Hema (http://www.hema.nl/foto/2-dagen-analoog.aspx).

34. Post #1754
    ffFf
    June 2005
    5,840 Posts
    For APS film it costs 2,90 euro per roll.
    35mm C41 and BW film costs 2,59 euro per roll.
    (E6 would cost 2,75 euro per roll and framing them +2.75 euro)
    Our Dutch FP'ers who want to know where I'm letting them being developed: It's the Hema (http://www.hema.nl/foto/2-dagen-analoog.aspx).
    whoa, E6 at 2.75 euro per roll? i asked at the place where i normally get films developed, they told me £11 per 35mm roll of E6 D:

35. Post #1755
    July 2007
    620 Posts
    whoa, E6 at 2.75 euro per roll? i asked at the place where i normally get films developed, they told me £11 per 35mm roll of E6 D:
    I think this is so cheap because they send the rolls to the Fujifilm facility in Steenbergen, The Netherlands. They don't develop their own film. This is the cheapest way of having your pictures developed in the Netherlands AFAIK.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

36. Post #1756

February 2010
    2,452 Posts

imo the Canon AF35ML is one of the best compact 35mm camera's, you can find them quite cheap as well

37. Post #1757
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,943 Posts
    imo the Canon AF35ML is one of the best compact 35mm camera's, you can find them quite cheap as well
    looked it up, seems pretty nice. 35mm is a tad too long for me. I'm looking at getting an Olympus Mju-II sometime in the near future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

38. Post #1758
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    956 Posts
    Just developed my first black and white film an hour ago, won't get to really look at them until next week though, so excited.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #1759

January 2012
    37 Posts
    Pictures came out horrible D: don't know if to blame the people who did it or me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Gibraltar Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

40. Post #1760
    September 2008
    1,508 Posts
    What's wrong with them?