October 2007
    13,200 Posts
    Tbh it isn't a bad idea to get a new one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

4. Post #2164
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    New camera? I'll pass on that unless I find out it's an unfixable problem seeing that it's otherwise in pretty good nick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

5. Post #2165
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,200 Posts
    Old cameras are usually very expensive to fix, and a light meter problem is one of the more complex problems you can run into. Handheld meters aren't TTL so they aren't always the best option
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

6. Post #2166
    July 2007
    637 Posts
    Did your images look like this (or at least similar)?:

7sZ_0021.jpg by Leevmeister, on Flickr

If yes, then your second shutter curtain can't handle high shutter speeds very well anymore and it will need a CLA (cleaning lubrication and adjustment) to make it work properly again. I had this problem with my Canon 7sZ that I sold to a friend of mine so it sounded very known to me. At the time I did not have the money to get it fixed so hence I sold it. (the Canon 7s is a very delicate camera to fix)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

7. Post #2167
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    Old cameras are usually very expensive to fix, and a light meter problem is one of the more complex problems you can run into. Handheld meters aren't TTL so they aren't always the best option
    Light meter isn't an issue, because it doesn't have one.
    The only issue is the film sometimes only half advancing, but that's not a huge issue and can probably be fixed.

8. Post #2168
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,200 Posts
    like it doesn't have one at all? i just thought it wasn't working or something, that seems incredibly difficult to work with. the older the camera the less likely it is to get fixed i'm afraid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #2169
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    like it doesn't have one at all? i just thought it wasn't working or something, that seems incredibly difficult to work with. the older the camera the less likely it is to get fixed i'm afraid.
    Yeah flat out doesn't have one. The camera's from the late 50s. It's a little difficult to work with, but I seemed to cope ok with sunny 16 and I think I'll just get the hang of predicting accurate exposures at night over time.
    The fact that some of the shots advanced the entire way makes me quite sure that I'll be able to find what's causing the problem there.

10. Post #2170
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    I think I figured out the issue with the film advancing. I think it was caused by the canister end (dunno what you call it) being too tight due to a lack of lubrication, so it was sort of holding it back as the camera attempted to advance. This would explain why the bits that didn't advance also had stress marks and cracks in the perforations where the camera was still spinning the little bit with the knobly parts (again, I don't know what this is called, so I am just improvising) causing it to break the perforations a bit.
    Got some sewing machine oil into it and made sure it was all moving smoothly, so hopefully this next roll of film I put into it turns out a bit better than the last.

11. Post #2171
    March 2011
    653 Posts
    I had a nice trip underground a few times last week

VT by CommunistWolf, on Flickr

And I was experimenting with a red cover on my flash gun

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

12. Post #2172
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    12,024 Posts
    Whoa.

13. Post #2173
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,972 Posts
    Second roll of Portra on the 67.

Natalie by samhaberman, on Flickr

Natalie by samhaberman, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #2174
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,448 Posts

RZ67 Portra 800
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #2175
    March 2011
    653 Posts
    Just a random thing I found out.

Kodak Color Plus (poundland film) is probably the oldest consumer film still in production. Introduced in 1982 as Kodacolor VR200.
    I think thats quite odd and quite interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #2176
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,696 Posts
    its a strange thing to come on here and see a photo of yourself not posted by you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #2177
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,242 Posts
    its a strange thing to come on here and see a photo of yourself not posted by you
    Oh hi:

Untitled by edwin.quast, on Flickr

Untitled by edwin.quast, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

18. Post #2178
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,104 Posts
    Stare too long at the bottom picture and you'll be afraid the camera's going to fall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

19. Post #2179
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    Now that I've fixed the the advancing problem with my camera, I'm actually able to get some proper shots off it. These 3 are the ones I'm most happy with, but I uploaded a few more from the roll on my flickr.

000014 by HiddenMyst, on Flickr

000012 by HiddenMyst, on Flickr

000005 by HiddenMyst, on Flickr

Still getting used to the complete lack of electronic functions. The exposure's been the hardest learning curve, not being able to just look at a light meter.

20. Post #2180
    March 2010
    815 Posts
    Going to be picking up a roll of film for my EOS 1N. Any suggestions? I appreciate grain from film quite a bit, so a higher ISO film might be good.

21. Post #2181
    July 2007
    637 Posts
    Going to be picking up a roll of film for my EOS 1N. Any suggestions? I appreciate grain from film quite a bit, so a higher ISO film might be good.
    Superia 400 or 800 perhaps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

22. Post #2182
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,104 Posts
    Try going for 400, I've been happy with the results and of course the sensitivity offers you some more breathing room with lower light conditions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

23. Post #2183
    The Superia Premium is much better compared to the normal one IMO. But as far as I know, its only available in Japan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Malaysia Show Events

24. Post #2184
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,444 Posts
    Last time I used film was back in school.
    I think I still have that unused roll of Kodak film in my school bag.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

25. Post #2185
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,704 Posts
    I need some tips. I never used film and my cam doesn't have a lightmeter unless I buy a new battery, how do I calculate timings?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

26. Post #2186
    August 2011
    677 Posts
    I need some tips. I never used film and my cam doesn't have a lightmeter unless I buy a new battery, how do I calculate timings?
    you could bring a small digital with you as a lightmeter (might look silly). Or try Sunny 16. or just buy a battery (Google led me here, 1.35v, no mercury, longer "life" than deaf-aid batteries)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #2187
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    I have three rolls of 35mm film and one medium format film I can pick up from the store today. I'm very interested in the medium format roll. I shot it with a Yashica TLR and I have no idea how it will turn out. It's more of a test roll so it probably won't have a lot of interesting photos.

Expensive testing seeing as how it costs me 25 euro's to develop and scan it(plus 18 euro's for the 35mm rolls)
    All for the greater good I guess

28. Post #2188
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    I found that Sunny16 gives you a great exposure and film's quite forgiving.
    I also recommend taking a bunch of shots at night under street lighting and writing down the settings you used, because once you get a grasp on that, you'll be able to get some pretty accurate exposures just off the top of your head.
    I found that on 400 ISO at f/2.8, I can shoot at 1/50 around street lights. Obviously though that's probably not the most ideal settings, but I don't have a light meter to get it any better, so I just work with that as a guide.

After a few rolls, you'll start to get a bit more confident at it. But if you have a light meter in the camera that just needs a new battery, buy a new battery and save yourself some time. (not that it isn't good knowing how to guess the right settings)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #2189
    August 2005
    15,704 Posts
    Can a smartphone be used as a light-meter?

30. Post #2190
    March 2011
    653 Posts
    There might be an app that lets you meter the light using the camera on your phone, or just get a battery, saying its a Praktica it will happily take cheap alkalines instead of the mercury cells with enough accuracy for color neg film. I believe the battery is a PX625, which means you want an LR9 alkaline cell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #2191
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    From a quick google search it seems that they can, however I just tried an app with my phone and apparently I can't. Kinda sucks because it would've been a great way to get the correct exposure in a quick manner.

32. Post #2192
    August 2005
    15,704 Posts
    The Galaxy i9000 has a lightmeter. I'll try that!

33. Post #2193
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    Here's a few of my roll of medium format kodak portra 400 film:

It's amazing to see how much detail medium format can capture.
    These were mostly just to shoot a roll to see if the camera still worked so all were just testshots so I could get them developed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

34. Post #2194
    November 2009
    1,203 Posts
    i enjoyed this thoroughly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #2195
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    Thanks a lot man, I'm glad you like it
    I also scanned some 35mm film so here's a dump:

Nature/landscape shit:

Other bullshit:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #2196
    November 2009
    1,203 Posts
    all are great, but these four really caught my eye. quite a nice set you have there, makes me really want to get back to using my film cameras.

37. Post #2197
    August 2005
    15,704 Posts
    What kind of film is that?

38. Post #2198
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    What kind of film is that?
    I used Kodak Ektar 100 and Superia 200 I believe

39. Post #2199
    August 2005
    15,704 Posts
    What are you people scanning with?

40. Post #2200
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    I use an Epson V300. A few people around here use a V500.
    You could also use an Epson V4490 which I've heard decent stories about. They're a bit older but will do the job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events