1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,450 Posts
    The title says it all really.

Let me start.

Now, I'm incredibly rage-free when it comes to most Mods - most of them are good. However, I really, really hated City 7: Toronto Conflict.

I knew I wasn't exactly expecting top quality when you teleport into the plaza in the opening level. The design of the area is incredibly bland. Just really, really bland and bad-looking. I also found the presence of Overwatch a bit mind-boggling - I'm sure it's Civil Protection's job to operate in the city, not them. Plus, there's WAY too many enemies in the beginning - as soon as you try to head over the fountain area, and sniper targets you and suddenly Combine come in from everywhere - when you'd probably think they'd think Gordon is a normal citizen and let him off with a warning. Hm.

Anyways, after that trainwreck, you begin the Subway chapter. To be honest, I actually kind of liked this section, because of the style with the Combine coming in from other trains and shooting at you. Sadly, bland level design gets in the way again, but it was an alright section.

Along comes some weird Plaza fight section with rebels. OH GOD THE MUSIC. It was like it was an attempt to murder my ears with some highbeat techno crap (Can't really remember - it's been a while since I played) and your teammate all die really easily leaving you prey to the Combine. (Except this one guy who seemed to be invincible for some reason.) Along comes a gunship, pew pew, then an APC. I destroy that. HL2.exe stops responding. I quit.

That's a huge problem when having to destroy something results in a crash.

I give it another go - next up is a fight through some street - having to duck through buildings. It was kinda okay, apart from some very out of place Nove Prospekt Guards - but then another APC appears. Instant game crash after destruction.

Next up was the construction area - which was actually nicely detailed. Sadly, there's constant respawning antlions that bother you as you ascend above it, and one part where, without warning, the construction area COLLAPSES and you have to start ALL OVER AGAIN. After getting that bit - suddenly, it's striders and metrocops everywhere. I had to use Buddha to get past that part.

Then we reach the hospital. You lose your guns and you put on a metrocop outfit, to sneak past the guards. For some reason, every Metrocop seems to have personal space issues as they'll still beat you if they get near. Also, this chapter contains voice acting. BAD voice acting. Seriously, it's like they were reading it STRAIGHT FROM THE SCRIPT. Excluding this one guy who was actually kind of okay. Everyone else was crap. Plus, two Combine Elites that seem to be talking about diabetes... which shouldn't be a problem considering they're cyborgs. Anyways, you proceed to regain your weapons in an ugly armoury that looks like the kind of thing some new Hammer mapper would make and kill your way out of the hospital.

I'd talk about the final chapter, but it always crashes after I kill the first soldier. Oh well, atleast there's a bonusmaarggrgrgrgrrage.

The bonus map is TERRIBLE. Getting swarmed by fast zombies while low on ammo is NOT FUN. Plus, some horrific blocky mapping and bad lighting thrown into the mix too. Oh, and leaks. Don't forget nodraws in plain sight so you can see forever at your own need.

In short, City 7 is really bad.

Alright people, now it's your turn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Arab Emirates Show Events Agree Agree x 14Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,350 Posts
    Counter-Strike
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny x 156Agree x 42Disagree x 12Winner x 11Dumb x 8Zing x 7Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    11,570 Posts
    Day Of Defeat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree x 92Agree x 12Dumb x 5Funny x 2Informative x 1Late x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Snoberator
    January 2005
    5,533 Posts
    Tales From the Galactopticon. What a piece of shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree x 118Funny x 45Zing x 7Dumb x 2Informative x 2Late x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,767 Posts
    Well, I played City 7 back then, found it to be okay, didn't hate it or love it. But that was back then. Ever since the Orange Box update for HL2, City 7 crashes constantly, probably because the dev team doesn't work on it anymore, and it hasn't been updated in years, can't really blame the several year old mod.

But yeah, is was quite bad in voice acting and design.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,679 Posts
    There was this one mod about the seven hour war called 1187: Episode One which was really much more horrible than it first seemed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Agree Agree x 52Disagree Disagree x 4Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,867 Posts
    I typically look for the best mods to play and I went on a bit of a limb and tried out Strider Mountain.

The idea is cool and all (climbing up a mountain to take out a Combine base) but what it basically turns into is just a mod that is HL2 with a few re skinned weapons. Also the coding is extremely buggy.

The worst MP mod I played has to be WWI: Source. Had great potential and has gotten better but ultimately fails due to a terrible and dying community. The Devs need to connect with their community, especially in an MP mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,500 Posts
    1187, That idiot wouldn't shut the fuck up. If you've played it you'll understand what I mean.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 33 (list)

9. Post #9
    November 2008
    384 Posts
    There was this one mod about the seven hour war called 1886: Episode One or something like that which was really much more horrible than it first seemed
    Oh shit that one. Years and years of design and it comes out flowing terribly and sounding worse. It was made by one man but that isn't an excuse for the design. It was more reminiscent of a bad half life mod. I have found one thing ruins a mod and kills the flow and that is CUT SCENES.
    Any well deserving Half Life/2 modder shouldn't try to make a cutscene ingame the source engine is not equipped or prepared gameplay wise to stop the player dead in their tracks just to watch the creators friend or the guy they asked to do the lines spout out some exposition that could be figured out because they came into the game expecting it.
    /endrant
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,434 Posts
    I have found one thing ruins a mod and kills the flow and that is CUT SCENES.
    Any well deserving Half Life/2 modder shouldn't try to make a cutscene ingame the source engine is not equipped or prepared gameplay wise to stop the player dead in their tracks just to watch the creators friend or the guy they asked to do the lines spout out some exposition that could be figured out because they came into the game expecting it.
    /endrant
    Underhell implemented cutscenes well. :colbert:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    November 2008
    384 Posts
    Underhell implemented cutscenes well. :colbert:
    I havent played underhell so I cant vouch for it

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,450 Posts
    Didn't Nightmare House 2 implement them aswell? There were some really wellmade ones in my opinion, but I don't wanna spoil it for anyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Arab Emirates Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,767 Posts
    Didn't Nightmare House 2 implement them aswell? There were some really wellmade ones in my opinion, but I don't wanna spoil it for anyone.
    NH2 didn't have too many, but yeah, it had a few. Either way that mod was fantastic.

I can already see it...

What's the best Mod you've ever played...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,679 Posts
    Oh shit that one. Years and years of design and it comes out flowing terribly and sounding worse. It was made by one man but that isn't an excuse for the design. It was more reminiscent of a bad half life mod. I have found one thing ruins a mod and kills the flow and that is CUT SCENES.
    /endrant
    not to mention the terrible optimizations

one thing i particularly loved is the guy that always follows you around attracts all zombies when he asks you to clean the street, but he's invincible.

:colbert:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,450 Posts
    Somebody else may go along and make the best mod thread - remember, this one's about the the worst one ya' every played.

To add on the City 7 rant, I'd like to say I love to rummage through Mod files for some reason, listening to sounds, looking at materials etc.

When I went to check up City 7's sound, I clicked - and EVERYTHING slowed down horribly. It took a good few minutes to actually close up all the problems it caused. After that, I promptly uninstalled it and removed everything related to it from my Sourcemods folder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Arab Emirates Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,350 Posts
    For serious though, Cinematic Mod

Edited:

jk I never played it because I always got tired of waiting for it to download
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 45Funny Funny x 25Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    21,748 Posts
    After playing Killing Floor retail, I decided to download the original mod to see if it was good. Safe to say that it's total ass in comparison.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,274 Posts
    Mortewood Plaza looks ok, but the mod leader is a dick.

Edited:

1187 Mod Team Members apparently mad a video of the mod as a music video to Jimi Hendrix All Along The Watchtower...ugh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    I'M AN AUSSIE FAGGOT
    December 2008
    26,094 Posts
    Synergy, it was buggy as fuck for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 38Disagree Disagree x 14Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,410 Posts
    I hate mods which just implement the VDC tutorial iron sights for the hell of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

21. Post #21
    February 2010
    2,872 Posts
    The Citizen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Bulgaria Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,540 Posts
    1187 is OK. I remember a mod called The Awakening being short and forgettable. It was about Adrian Shepard being woken up and having to fight the combine. It was bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 11 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,430 Posts
    Cthulhu for Half-Life
    Assault On Roswell
    The Challenger Deep
    Conundrum series
    World War series
    Slums 2
    Strider Mountain
    Rock 24
    Combine Destiny
    Substance
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Turkey Show Events Disagree Disagree x 18Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    September 2009
    3,729 Posts
    Oh man, while everyone was is ranting on 1187...

The shit seemed SO good. I played the tutorial first and I was excited as fuck. The guns were cool, it felt awesome how you moved, the mapping was awesome. Then I played the original game. It had a few cool moments, but the level design was so bland and ugly it completely ruined anything I liked about the game. The concept was SO cool too. Why was the tutorial mapping so much better than the main games one?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

25. Post #25
    Not a very good Member
    January 2010
    2,398 Posts
    Portal Prelude
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 34Disagree Disagree x 31Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    February 2010
    2,872 Posts
    Portal Prelude
    Because of the voice acting?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Bulgaria Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 9Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    November 2010
    5,260 Posts
    1187 is OK. I remember a mod called The Awakening being short and forgettable. It was about Adrian Shepard being woken up and having to fight the combine. It was bad.
    That mod was okay, the whole thing just felt rushed, like they had a lot more content but they just cut it out for no reason and stitched what was left together.

28. Post #28
    March 2011
    277 Posts
    1187 was so bad I didn't even get passed the apartments. (I literally quit because it was so bad)

Edited:

Cthulhu for Half-Life
    Assault On Roswell
    The Challenger Deep
    Conundrum series
    World War series
    Slums 2
    Strider Mountain
    Rock 24
    Combine Destiny
    slums 2 and rock 24 were good.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    wtf am i reading
    June 2010
    15,914 Posts
    Synergy after the "patch".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,015 Posts
    Mortewood Plaza looks ok, but the mod leader is a dick.
    What exactly happened? A few years back all you could hear about it was praise but now I keep hearing complaints about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    August 2008
    808 Posts
    1187 was so bad I didn't even get passed the apartments. (I literally quit because it was so bad)

Edited:

Combine destiny was also pretty cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,969 Posts
    Portal: Prelude only because of the Microsoft Sam-esque voice acting. Have there been any fan-made voice replacements done by real people so Mike, Erik, Paul (Or whatever the third guy's name was) and GLaDOS actually sound human?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,831 Posts
    that and portal: prelude almost had no story, its just "glados is activated, everything is doomed"

Edited:

felt like one of those custom maps for hl2 where gman is the final boss
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Malaysia Show Events Funny Funny x 56Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    February 2011
    622 Posts
    Cinematic mod and everything about it. The stupid hollywood music, characters, even the supposed graphical improvements. I'd rather replay half life 2 vanilla for the seventh time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

35. Post #35
    Dr. Conro J. Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
    July 2007
    7,714 Posts
    remember Aperture Science Source?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 38Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    March 2011
    277 Posts
    remember Aperture Science Source?
    dude i can't wait for aperture science source source on the portal 2 engine

Edited:

asss
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,430 Posts
    They're both poorly made mods. Especially Slums 2. I had a review written down somewhere.

Edit: See the second post.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/show...-Play-and-Post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Turkey Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    March 2007
    466 Posts
    HL2: Sewers. A really godawful mod with gray-colored HUD for no reason and the ugliest maps ever.

39. Post #39
    I like the zip of Miracle Whip
    January 2010
    3,989 Posts
    Portal Prelude, because there were constant texture pop-ins and the voice acting was cheap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    November 2008
    118 Posts
    HL:Boom
    Danger 2

Believe me, these two are worst ever.
    Besides they're extremely russian.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)