1. Post #81
    Dennab
    March 2008
    1,318 Posts
    Probably the Empires mod. Combat is so boring and unrewarding, building is boring, commanding is boring. I'd rather buy another copy of Battlefield 2142 and play that instead. The community is also a giant sack of eliteist assholes who will cuss you out if you even do the slightest thing wrong because you haven't been playing it since release every day religiously just like them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 8Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #82
    October 2010
    11,742 Posts

Portal Prelude didn't really have voice acting. It was made with acapela voice synthesizer.
    That's exactly my point, they were too lazy to get proper English voice actors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,512 Posts
    That's exactly my point, they were too lazy to get proper English voice actors.
    I'd love to do the voice of Mike if I got the chance. Oh right, now I remember the third guy's name, it's Peter, not Paul! :hurr:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #84
    April 2009
    1,603 Posts
    1187 wasn't THAT bad. Sure, the mapping was pretty bad and the voice acting was mediocre, but you have to give them credit for the scope system and the car. Plus, near the end, it got intense with the Vortigaunts dropping from portals and shit.

In my opinion, WWI Source is pretty bad. The models are awful and the gameplay is what you'd expect from a WW1 mod - sitting in a trench and trying to poke your head out until you either get shot or gassed.

Situation Outbreak, too. Bad models, bad sound, bad gameplay, bad everything. Don't know why it got so popular, even ZPS is better.

And Perfect Stride Continuum. Sure, the gameplay was unique, but there was one map and almost no explanation for how to play. After you figure it out, you either end up doing really well or failing miserably.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,543 Posts
    I was pretty into 1187. Never got past the mansion though, that was tough as piss.

Also, Human Error was awesome, what are you all on? It's probably the best mod so far where you play as a CP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,628 Posts
    1187 had some potential. Too bad the mod had little direction. I always found myself getting lost, especially in the sewers and the subway tunnels.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

7. Post #87
    December 2008
    983 Posts
    I didn't like DIPRIP Warmup too much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,048 Posts
    HL2: Substance

A crash-prone trainwreck of a mod consisting mainly of the standard singleplayer campaign slightly modified with tacti-cool weapons, content shamelessly copied from MGS (in what to me appeared to be an attempt at cross-breeding the games for some odd reason), massive difficulty imbalance. It was quite fun to fuck around with for a while though.

This was a few years ago, not sure what happened to it after that.

Edited:

Probably the Empires mod. Combat is so boring and unrewarding, building is boring, commanding is boring. I'd rather buy another copy of Battlefield 2142 and play that instead. The community is also a giant sack of eliteist assholes who will cuss you out if you even do the slightest thing wrong because you haven't been playing it since release every day religiously just like them.
    You're 100% correct about its core community (a lot of those are admins on the official servers too so if you try to experiment you're often up for a boot), but I really like a lot of aspects of it. It is indeed very similar to Battlefield 2 & 2142 but that's an argument in its favor if anything, and the RTS-aspects that the commander role of those games create is capitalized on in Empires with features like base/fort building (which is complex/free enough to add an ocean of depth to the game), the resource gathering, the tech tree and vehicle customization system.

Admittedly I've never really become one of those players experienced/advanced enough to play a decisive factor in the game, but I've sunk lots and lots of hours into Empires.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,206 Posts
    I would say Zombie Panic Source, but only because some of the mechanics are seriously unnecessary. I mean from a third person view it looks like an awesome mod but when I'm actually playing it I just feel like I'm wasting my time. I've uninstalled it many times after being just plain disappointed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

10. Post #90
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,347 Posts
    I'm actually downloading 1187 now to see if it is as shitty as everybody says
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 7Zing Zing x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    10,662 Posts
    Mistake of Pythagoras.

I've played a grand total of 4 mods.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 20Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #92
    October 2010
    11,742 Posts
    I would say Zombie Panic Source, but only because some of the mechanics are seriously unnecessary. I mean from a third person view it looks like an awesome mod but when I'm actually playing it I just feel like I'm wasting my time. I've uninstalled it many times after being just plain disappointed.
    ZPS is weird for me, whenever I play as a zombie I'm like "What the fuck, the zombies don't really stand a chance at getting near the humans" and when I play as a human I'm thinking "Bullshit, these zombies are overpowered, like 6 headshots with a pistol to kill one?"

Edited:

In my opinion, WWI Source is pretty bad. The models are awful and the gameplay is what you'd expect from a WW1 mod - sitting in a trench and trying to poke your head out until you either get shot or gassed.
    In my opinion the most best part of WW1 Source is how it not only captured how hopeless trying to move forward in WW1 was but they also made it hilariously fun to bayonet charge and get mowed down with machine guns.
    (Played on a server with the Devs a few months ago and my entire team kept charging. It was so fun)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

13. Post #93
    Extraction Point
    July 2006
    8,062 Posts
    HL2: Substance

A crash-prone trainwreck of a mod consisting mainly of the standard singleplayer campaign slightly modified with tacti-cool weapons, content shamelessly copied from MGS (in what to me appeared to be an attempt at cross-breeding the games for some odd reason), massive difficulty imbalance. It was quite fun to fuck around with for a while though.

This was a few years ago, not sure what happened to it after that.

Edited:

You're 100% correct about its core community (a lot of those are admins on the official servers too so if you try to experiment you're often up for a boot), but I really like a lot of aspects of it. It is indeed very similar to Battlefield 2 & 2142 but that's an argument in its favor if anything, and the RTS-aspects that the commander role of those games create is capitalized on in Empires with features like base/fort building (which is complex/free enough to add an ocean of depth to the game), the resource gathering, the tech tree and vehicle customization system.

Admittedly I've never really become one of those players experienced/advanced enough to play a decisive factor in the game, but I've sunk lots and lots of hours into Empires.
    Can I just say as a guy who's played empires for about 3 years, is a pretty high level clanner and sort of one of the developers, that people like you are the most pleasant to play with. The guys who just listen when you ask them to do something, and do their best to do it, they don't rage at your decisions, they don't argue with your commands, and they try hard. But most of all they don't just do their own thing and whore kills in some useless corner of the map, when I command (not often anymore) I specifically look for people who aren't wearing clan tags or I don't recognise their name, because if I give them an order, they listen to it much more readily than other players. Sure, they aren't always as good at completing an objective, but they're more friendly, work together better and are generally pleasant to play with.

You are what makes empires fun, not the dickweed clanners. Have a heart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 19Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #94
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,347 Posts
    I'm actually downloading 1187 now to see if it is as shitty as everybody says
    Hahaha holy shit when the soldiers do "radio" voices they literally say "ksshh" to simulate static

This is gold
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 63Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,206 Posts
    ZPS is weird for me, whenever I play as a zombie I'm like "What the fuck, the zombies don't really stand a chance at getting near the humans" and when I play as a human I'm thinking "Bullshit, these zombies are overpowered, like 6 headshots with a pistol to kill one?"
    hahah me too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,315 Posts
    Hahaha holy shit when the soldiers do "radio" voices they literally say "ksshh" to simulate static

This is gold
    I hate the soldier's goddamn voices..

And their death eyes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Arab Emirates Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,410 Posts

This is gold
    lol yeah I remember hearing that and my jaw dropped

18. Post #98
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,347 Posts
    I made a video of it

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 27Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    1,016 Posts
    Smashball. Ultra-hyped, poorly delivered, and swiftly abandoned.

And somehow it still made it on Steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,812 Posts
    I made a video of it

How the fuck are you supposed to watch your ammo when every time you fire it lights up like an exploding star.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,791 Posts
    The CSS Modern Warfare 2 mod, it was a combination of 2 evils
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

22. Post #102
    October 2010
    193 Posts
    How can anyone say Zombie Panic Source? It may not be the best mod ever, but to say it's the worst?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    7,924 Posts
    How can anyone say Zombie Panic Source? It may not be the best mod ever, but to say it's the worst?
    That they've played. I've played like 3 mods for Valve games, it pulls a close second behind HL2 Wars as the worst I've ever played.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,156 Posts
    Mistake of Pythagoras.

I've played a grand total of 4 mods.
    that mod was amazing, what is wrong with you man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    12,206 Posts
    Zombie Master: Black Edition
    What happens when you take Zombie Master, make the zombies a one/two hit kill, have them sprint and remove the interesting classes and replace them with BORING. And break baricading gameplay.
    I actually played with the mod creator when the mod was in beta, he doesn't know how to crouch jump and so he shot the baricades, I guess that explains why he found it to be a bad gameplay strategy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Slovenia Show Events Funny Funny x 25Agree Agree x 4 (list)

26. Post #106
    March 2008
    1,589 Posts
    1187, That idiot wouldn't shut the fuck up. If you've played it you'll understand what I mean.
    That guy was really annoying, but I really liked 1187. Nothing was amazing about it, I just found it fun.

27. Post #107
    November 2010
    10 Posts
    None of this shit is shit compared to BATTLE-FORCE

It is a 100% serious mod made by some Norwegian gamer clan. It is over four and a half gigabytes in size; half of this is the single player, and the other half is the multiplayer. These two separate installs use a lot of identical resources, much of which is stuff ripped from mods/games by sites like gamebanana and garrysmod.org (Halo, Battlefield 2142, etc). On the surface, the multiplayer is supposed to be a super all in one multiplayer game; the gamemodes are glitchy to access and also impossible to play because the only people that play it are the makers.

The singleplayer is also unpolished and nearly unplayable due to bugs, which is a shame because the writing makes it sound like a playable Half Life: Full Life Consequences.

Seriously, if you can only do one thing in your fat dumb day read the summary section for this mod, and learn all about how John the rebel security guard got chased into a "tram dungeon" by ghosts.

This mod also has the world's greatest loading screens.

Actually, writing about this mod is kinda motivating me to download it again and see if I can get it work this time. It's just so incoherent and overly ambitious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 21 (list)

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,907 Posts
    None of this shit is shit compared to BATTLE-FORCE

It is a 100% serious mod made by some Norwegian gamer clan. It is over four and a half gigabytes in size; half of this is the single player, and the other half is the multiplayer. These two separate installs use a lot of identical resources, much of which is stuff ripped from mods/games by sites like gamebanana and garrysmod.org (Halo, Battlefield 2142, etc). On the surface, the multiplayer is supposed to be a super all in one multiplayer game; the gamemodes are glitchy to access and also impossible to play because the only people that play it are the makers.

The singleplayer is also unpolished and nearly unplayable due to bugs, which is a shame because the writing makes it sound like a playable Half Life: Full Life Consequences.

Seriously, if you can only do one thing in your fat dumb day read the summary section for this mod, and learn all about how John the rebel security guard got chased into a "tram dungeon" by ghosts.

This mod also has the world's greatest loading screens.

Actually, writing about this mod is kinda motivating me to download it again and see if I can get it work this time. It's just so incoherent and overly ambitious.
    now BATTLEAWERS MOD HL2 FOR BATTLE WARS is only number 2 compared to this.

29. Post #109
    July 2009
    2,629 Posts
    I'm sorry. BATTLEWARS: WEBSTER THE SHUTGUN GAME new expansion is even worst.

30. Post #110
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    Get a Life. It looked pretty well made, but I thought it was boring and silly.

Edited:

WW1 Source looks pretty bad to be honest, but I haven't played it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

31. Post #111
    February 2009
    1,034 Posts
    I havent played underhell so I cant vouch for it
    I can. Underhell was a very well made mod. Story was clear, action scenes were realistic, and effects were top notch!

The worst mod I've ever played was Half-Mind. It was barley a mod. There was a few things changed here and there, once in a while a few ragdolls flopped and popped around everywhere, but it was only funny once. The dancing metrocops got really old really fast. And the whole length of the actual mod was like 20 if not 10 minutes. To this day it's no longer in my list of games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,275 Posts
    Again, 1187 was ok. I wouldn't classify one of the greatest mods because it has a few flaws and there's a dozen Half-Life 2 mods that are immediately better. It's also not one of the worst. Portal: Prelude was pretty good. While it's voice acting was not great and the script wasn't fantastic, the puzzles were fun and the game even had commentary. I would classify that as a good mod.

Strider Mountain was terrible because it was WAY too long, it had incredibly boxy levels and poor texturing as well as having absolutely nothing to offer in the way of anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #113
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,347 Posts
    The worst mod I've ever played was Half-Mind. It was barley a mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 34Useful Useful x 2Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #114

June 2008
    180 Posts
    I liked that mod personally. Alright, John was pretty irritating, but generally, I thought it was pretty decent.

Worst mod I've played is Ravenholm, most of the maps are confusing as fuck to get around, there's little to no indication of where to go next, and there were some sections where smashing a single crate crippled you and forced you to reload to a point where said crate wasn't smashed. I also just didn't like the feel of it, felt too much like someone trying far too hard to imitate what Valve did when they first introduced us to Ravenholm, but it comes off as something entirely unpleasant.
    Probably has something to do with the lack of the gravity gun, which is what made the HL2 Ravenholm so fun.
    I agree about the confusing maps, and the whole thing is too repetitious too.

35. Post #115
    January 2011
    117 Posts
    Made my day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply New Zealand Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #116
    July 2010
    603 Posts
    obvious troll is obvious
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

37. Post #117
    April 2009
    2,615 Posts
    I like the concept of HL2: Wars, but it is extremely buggy and I've never seen any servers up for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #118
    July 2009
    2,629 Posts
    obvious troll is obvious
    i'm not a troll!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #119
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,244 Posts
    The "mod" I'm currently "making".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,743 Posts
    The Citizen 2, I actually enjoyed the Citizen, and when they finished the second installment after about 2 years, it was just a massive disappointment, it was about 1 hour long and had yet another fucking cliffhanger that made no sense, and the voiceacting made my ears bleed, the only thing they improved was the mapping, but only very slightly.
    The mapping was worse.

And damn it I'm trying to remember the name of a mod, it's silly mod that was bat shit insane didn't take itself seriously and had one of the characters entirely voiced by recycled VO of Jack, the main character from Far Cry.

What the fuck was it's name?.