1. Post #441
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    629 Posts
    I've done measurements, a 55-56mm neck will strat neck should fit as well as a typical mexican fender bridge, and i believe mexican fender machine heads will fit too.

The body is Alder too and I got it fairly cheap so I'm happy with that.

As for necks, It's a truely "parts" guitar, I'm buying the best but most reasonably and obviously appropriate parts I can so I have no real plans. I want to figure it all out without refering too much to websites and "standards". If I can make it work then I will. It's a learning process and I think forcing too much information into it takes away from the fun of actually building it. Keeping it simple.
    Ah, didn't realize you were dropping a mexi bridge in it. The string holes will still be slightly off, but it's not really that big a deal after some tinkering. I was under the impression that you were going to use aftermarket which is why I just wanted to give you forewarning just in case. The body will do ya just fine. Alder is alder :). Were you thinking of pulling the potentiometers, caps, etc?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #442
    wait.. using [color] tags counts towards characters used? fuck. I have like 4 spa
    June 2005
    9,059 Posts
    Your consistent slandering of high-gain playing, of humbucker-equipped guitars, high-and-mighty sense of "lol coil-tapped isn't good enough," and not to mention with the slandering of high-gain playing, you were oh-so-far off the mark in your description of it. The more gain between your guitar and the speaker cabinet, the more errors in your technique drown out your playing.
    I didn't slander high-gain players. I just don't personally enjoy it. I said coil tapping isn't as good as the real deal and that's true.. splitting a humbucker into a single couldn't sound as good as a full on single coil. That wasn't a stab at Humbuckers, which I use from time to time, that was just straight up logic. (The same logic is "A Delay pedal build into a multi effects unit wouldn't be as good as a sole-purpose-built Delay pedal")

And you're still talking at me and reacting in a way that makes what I said look high and mighty and narrow minded when it's not.

This is the last time I'm clearing it up.

I know X guitar brand isn't just for X guitar player.
    I don't think X genre is superior to X genre.
    I don't think Single Coils are better then Humbuckers, I prefer single coils but I still use HBs.
    I don't believe my opinion to be fact and if you disagree that's ok.
    I don't think high gain has no value. I own a fucking big muff, by your logic I should think that's worse than "high gain".
    I don't mean any of this other than what it is at face value, My experience and opinion on it.

YOU are making it out like I'm the cunt when really I've done nothing. YOU GUYS spun what I said and got annoyed by it, not me.

Edited:

Were you thinking of pulling the potentiometers, caps, etc?
    The body is empty. I'm filling and building this thing 100% from parts, in every sense of the word. Every part of the guitar is gained through ebay, donations or whatever other means I can get them for a fair price!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #443
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    629 Posts
    I didn't slander high-gain players. I just don't personally enjoy it. I said coil tapping isn't as good as the real deal and that's true.. splitting a humbucker into a single couldn't sound as good as a full on single coil. That wasn't a stab at Humbuckers, which I use from time to time, that was just straight up logic.

And you're still talking at me and reacting in a way that makes what I said look high and mighty and narrow minded when it's not.

This is the last time I'm clearing it up.

I know X guitar brand isn't just for X guitar player.
    I don't think X genre is superior to X genre.
    I don't think Single Coils are better then Humbuckers, I prefer single coils but I still use HBs.
    I don't believe my opinion to be fact and if you disagree that's ok.
    I don't think high gain has no value. I own a fucking big muff, by your logic I should think that's worse than "high gain".
    I don't mean any of this other than what it is at face value, My experience and opinion on it.

YOU are making it out like I'm the cunt when really I've done nothing. YOU GUYS spun what I said and got annoyed by it, not me.

Edited:

The body is empty. I'm filling and building this thing 100% from parts, in every sense of the word. Every part of the guitar is gained through ebay, donations or whatever other means I can get them for a fair price!
    Very cool.
    If you can get your hands on a switchcraft jack (which should be fairly priced, and relatively easy to obtain), I highly recommend doing so.
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...tput_Jack.html
    It's one of the small upgrades that you'll thank yourself for later. I purchased one of these for a previous build and never looked back. Nice solid connection with the 1'4

4. Post #444
    wait.. using [color] tags counts towards characters used? fuck. I have like 4 spa
    June 2005
    9,059 Posts
    Very cool.
    If you can get your hands on a switchcraft jack (which should be fairly priced, and relatively easy to obtain), I highly recommend doing so.
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...tput_Jack.html
    It's one of the small upgrades that you'll thank yourself for later. I purchased one of these for a previous build and never looked back. Nice solid connection with the 1'4
    What uses does it have? Bearing in mind I'm building a typical SSS or maybe HSS Stratocaster.

5. Post #445
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    I didn't slander high-gain players. I just don't personally enjoy it. I said coil tapping isn't as good as the real deal and that's true.. splitting a humbucker into a single couldn't sound as good as a full on single coil. That wasn't a stab at Humbuckers, which I use from time to time, that was just straight up logic. (The same logic is "A Delay pedal build into a multi effects unit wouldn't be as good as a sole-purpose-built Delay pedal")

I re-read most of your posts that I bothered to respond to and you just seem to have a sense of arrogance about your opinions on tone, distortion, etc.
    It could just be a poor choice of phrasing, but it doesn't seem that way.

And I know single coils are better than coil-tapped 'buckers for cleans, but if you don't want single coil pickups then they're damn nice to have. The whole coil-splitting thing isn't worth going into explaining, but you really seem to have a thing for single-coil pickups.

Your posts about making guitars, gear, etc...they're all very much respectable.
    It's when you start talking about what you don't like or what you feel is better that I get this arrogance vibe.

6. Post #446
    June 2005
    9,059 Posts
    Your posts about making guitars, gear, etc...they're all very much respectable.
    It's when you start talking about what you don't like or what you feel is better that I get this arrogance vibe.
    Then that's just how it is. I'm also Scottish, cynicism and defensiveness is in my nature. I can fully appreciate everything I've been made out to be "against", when I like something I like it.. when I don't I don't, it doesn't mean I can't appreciate something I don't like for what it is.

Just like I can appreciate chefs make a great prawn and mushroom platter but I fucking hate prawns and mushrooms, they're awful and geared towards Line-6 using, Megade.. wait..

7. Post #447
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    Then that's just how it is. I'm also Scottish, cynicism and defensiveness is in my nature. I can fully appreciate everything I've been made out to be "against", when I like something I like it.. when I don't I don't, it doesn't mean I can't appreciate something I don't like for what it is.

I can appreciate chefs make a great prawn and mushroom platter but I fucking hate prawns and mushrooms, they're awful and geared towards Line-6 using, Megade.. wait..
    Okay that last bit has to be a joke lol
    I will give you this though, Line 6 is a pretty awful company.
    Well...their common gear is atrocious, anyway (the Spiders, and their overpriced excuses for valve amps).

8. Post #448
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    629 Posts
    What uses does it have? Bearing in mind I'm building a typical SSS or maybe HSS Stratocaster.
    It's an input jack that is going to last a long long time with lots of wear and tear. It's just one of the small things that doesn't cost a lot, but it's worthwhile in the end. With a normal 1'4 input, the jack really doesn't lock on to the cable very well causing the cable to fall out as the jack takes on more wear and tear.
    This jack is basically a nifty little fix to this problem. Solid and cheap upgrade

9. Post #449
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,011 Posts
    So everyone lit up and is relaxed now?

Can I talk about how much I fucking hate having a floyd rose? 'Cuz I'm fucking hating having a floyd rose. It's so awesome when you use it and the all of a sudden oh string change time, there goes any fun I was going to have tonight.

Also how is it that with DRs of all things I got pre-kinked strings? I get that I have this coming since I'm playing old shit friends have given me but between how many of the fuckers popped I'm currently using 2 D'addarios 3 DRs and two GHSes.

@ kab yeah it's the low end stuff that sucks, the higher end amps and the guitars are sexy.

10. Post #450
    Dennab
    August 2010
    2,500 Posts
    Okay that last bit has to be a joke lol
    I will give you this though, Line 6 is a pretty awful company.
    Well...their common gear is atrocious, anyway (the Spiders, and their overpriced excuses for valve amps).
    Their new Variax is godly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #451
    June 2005
    9,059 Posts
    Can I talk about how much I fucking hate having a floyd rose? 'Cuz I'm fucking hating having a floyd rose. It's so awesome when you use it and the all of a sudden oh string change time, there goes any fun I was going to have tonight.
    Being as straight forward and in-direct as I can. I dislike Floyd Rose trems. That's all. They're finnicky and hard to deal with without a good setup. A hardtail or regular trem is easier to manage so I like it that way.

Bam, no one is hurt.. I don't look like a cunt and my opinion has still been shared.

12. Post #452
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    629 Posts
    so anyway.. about that input jack

13. Post #453
    Dennab
    August 2010
    2,500 Posts
    I blocked my Floyd rose on my EX, I hate it!

14. Post #454
    June 2005
    9,059 Posts
    Yeah I'll look into it. I'm kind of going for the vintage/relic look though not the long lasting prestine finished guitar.

I do want it to sound good but I want it to age it's self, along with the "aging" i'll be doing when I sand and paint it on friday.

Edited:

I blocked my Floyd rose on my EX, I hate it!
    I blocked the Floyd on my Wolfgang too, made it a bit more bearable to play but it still annoys me, I don't use that guitar too often though.

15. Post #455
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,808 Posts
    I bet it's tuned an octave down :p

Can you get a recording of the sound it's making?
    I can try, but I'm pretty sure it's not an octave down. I have a digital tuner and according to that one it is tuned correctly, but sometimes it wobbles a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

16. Post #456
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,495 Posts
    So everyone lit up and is relaxed now?

Also how is it that with DRs of all things I got pre-kinked strings? I get that I have this coming since I'm playing old shit friends have given me but between how many of the fuckers popped I'm currently using 2 D'addarios 3 DRs and two GHSes.

@ kab yeah it's the low end stuff that sucks, the higher end amps and the guitars are sexy.
    I used to have a Jackson PS-4 with a floyd. Whenever it came time to change strings, I would block the trem with a spoon from my eating utensils. Then I would stick the spoon in the bridge hole, tune the strings and when there was enough pressure (i dunno what word to use, I had a brainfart over it); the spoon would fall out. Then it's a matter of the fine tuners.

17. Post #457
    June 2005
    9,059 Posts
    I can try, but I'm pretty sure it's not an octave down. I have a digital tuner and according to that one it is tuned correctly, but sometimes it wobbles a lot.
    What do you mean by wobble? Be definition the strings should be wobbling, so something a bit more descriptive would help. :p

Edited:

If anyone has trouble with their Floyd's (or any tremolo bridge for that matter) look into a Tremol-no.

It's a cool little device that can block your bridge to either only move down or become completely hardtail'd. I don't use one but my friend does on his... Ibanez (:p) and it works a treat for him.

18. Post #458
    October 2010
    350 Posts
    I hate to be "that guy" but would someone recommend me electric strings that don't break easily? Would heavy gauge strings snap less often? I'm asking mainly because I live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, heading to the city on Sunday, and I wanna pick up some strings that are even just a bit more reliable than over-cooked spaghetti

They sell strings here, but they're only First Act. They sound old after about a week when you string them. Maybe it's my fault, maybe it's the way I play, but when I HAVE to use those strings they sound years old (in a bad kind of way) just a week after I re-string my guitar. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

19. Post #459
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,495 Posts
    I hate to be "that guy" but would someone recommend me electric strings that don't break easily? Would heavy gauge strings snap less often? I'm asking mainly because I live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, heading to the city on Sunday, and I wanna pick up some strings that are even just a bit more reliable than over-cooked spaghetti

They sell strings here, but they're only First Act. They sound old after about a week when you string them. Maybe it's my fault, maybe it's the way I play, but when I HAVE to use those strings they sound years old (in a bad kind of way) just a week after I re-string my guitar. :(
    What gauge do you consider heavy strings? My friends who play japanese guitar technicality can't bend half a step on my high E at the 15th fret.

And, I have noticed anything from 10-12 has no difference in string breaking. 9s broke really often for me, 13s don't break that often, but prepare to not have fingerprints on your left hand (and right for finger playing).

20. Post #460
    Dennab
    August 2010
    2,500 Posts

Use Dave Mustaine sig. strings :smug:

GHS Stings- Dave Mustaine Signature Progressives gauged .010-.052

21. Post #461
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,011 Posts
    Being as straight forward and in-direct as I can. I dislike Floyd Rose trems. That's all. They're finnicky and hard to deal with without a good setup. A hardtail or regular trem is easier to manage so I like it that way.

Bam, no one is hurt.. I don't look like a cunt and my opinion has still been shared.
    hahaha I don't care if you're a cunt it's the fucking internet.

But yeah I've fallen out of love with the thing- abused the fuck out of it on one song, realized I would never do that again (or if I did it would be with a pitch shift pedal, sweet fuck is that easier to work with) and now I'm waffling between blocking it or buying a Tremelno.

What I can't believe I can't find (would make this all a lot easier) is a direct drop-in replacement bridge that just isn't a tremolo. Just something fixed without fine-tuners or any other bullshit in the same shape. Then I could just pop the original back in if I ever sold the thing.

I mean fuck I can get replacements with piezos and shit but nothing with less bullshit stuck to it.

22. Post #462
    October 2010
    350 Posts
    I would consider 10 to be medium gauge and anything above or below to be heavy or light.
    "Can't bend half a step at the high E on the 15th fret."
    ^ Holy fucking shit.

How are 13's? Would you mind explaining just a bit more?

23. Post #463
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,808 Posts
    What do you mean by wobble? Be definition the strings should be wobbling, so something a bit more descriptive would help. :p
    It's hard to describe it. I can't get it to sound exactly like the E-note anymore, it sounds like it's a bit lower but sometimes like it's a bit higher than E.
    All the other strings are spot on with their corresponding tones but the thicker E is not.

Edited:

I'll try get a recording of it when I get home from school
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

24. Post #464
    June 2005
    9,059 Posts
    I would consider 10 to be medium gauge and anything above or below to be heavy or light.
    ^ Holy fucking shit.

13s are like typical light-medium acoustic strings.. but they can work well on electric, if you're this man:
    bearing in mind he tunes down half a step. though not a big drop in pitch but a huge drop in string tension.

I'm moving from 10s to 12s soon, once I get my nut re-cut to fit guages above 10. I play in E flat as well, except for college I need to retune and re-adjust my bridge/trem every friday :\

25. Post #465
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,495 Posts
    ^ Holy fucking shit.

They hurt your fingers for a month. The high E is the worst, at the beginning, I thought I had big calices from playing 10 and 11's. But it hurt playing the E so much, I ended up not using that string, and not bending for a while.

Also, the G string is wound, so you'll need a backup for that (if you want it wound, I do). I don't have many strings left over, and I can't justify buying a $5 set of strings for only one. So I've been going through the line of G's and B's I have left over from previous string sets.

Once your calices grow, it's like a growth on your fingertips. Especially on your middle finger, the side of it feels like a car tire. Even my pinky has a growth on it now.

Edited:

13s are like typical light-medium acoustic strings.. but they can work well on electric, if you're this man:
    bearing in mind he tunes down half a step. though not a big drop in pitch but a huge drop in string tension.

I'm moving from 10s to 12s soon, once I get my nut re-cut to fit guages above 10. I play in E flat as well, except for college I need to retune and re-adjust my bridge/trem every friday :\
    I was playing 9's for a while when I first found robert johnson, lightnin hopkins, and I couldn't get any resonance. So I went out and said give me the biggest guitar strings for electric you have. They handed me some D'addario 13's.

Needless to say, I played less guitar for a week

26. Post #466
    June 2005
    9,059 Posts
    They hurt your fingers for a month. The high E is the worst, at the beginning, I thought I had big calices from playing 10 and 11's. But it hurt playing the E so much, I ended up not using that string, and not bending for a while.

Also, the G string is wound, so you'll need a backup for that (if you want it wound, I do). I don't have many strings left over, and I can't justify buying a $5 set of strings for only one. So I've been going through the line of G's and B's I have left over from previous string sets.

Once your calices grow, it's like a growth on your fingertips. Especially on your middle finger, the side of it feels like a car tire. Even my pinky has a growth on it now.
    Yep. Bending will be a cunt-diggity when you move up guages. And depending on what you play you may or may not want your G wound. I like it wound as well for a bit more fatter sound but it will make it even more difficult to hit your bends and play properly for at least a few weeks.

The price you have to pay I suppose for the warmth and glassy-ness it can bring to your tone.

27. Post #467
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,495 Posts
    Yep. Bending will be a cunt-diggity when you move up guages. And depending on what you play you may or may not want your G wound. I like it wound as well for a bit more fatter sound but it will make it even more difficult to hit your bends and play properly for at least a few weeks.

The price you have to pay I suppose for the warmth and glassy-ness it can bring to your tone.
    Honestly, the higher you go on the G, it sounds worse. It has a slight ZZZZZZZZZZ noise that happens when you're near the 10th + fret.

28. Post #468
    October 2010
    350 Posts
    :ohdear:

I can handle it. I'm no woman.
    So I'm hoping on buying at least 3 packets of strings in the city, and for sure I'm going to try gauge 13

29. Post #469
    June 2005
    9,059 Posts
    Honestly, the higher you go on the G, it sounds worse. It has a slight ZZZZZZZZZZ noise that happens when you're near the 10th + fret.
    Then you're action is too low or the truss rod isn't set up right.

30. Post #470
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    I go to fix the intonation and guess what, the intonation is spot on. Both the open string and twelfth fret harmonic match up. But the other notes are quite off, mainly above the twelfth fret. Anybody have a suggestion?

31. Post #471
    June 2005
    9,059 Posts
    :ohdear:

I can handle it. I'm no woman.
    So I'm hoping on buying at least 3 packets of strings in the city, and for sure I'm going to try gauge 13
    If you're going from 10s to 13s I'd go for a couple of weeks on 12s or even 11s. I'm jumping from 10 to 12 because I used to unknowingly play 12s when I started guitar and stuck for a long time, then my friend did a setup on one of my guitars and threw 10s on it and I stuck to that for months but my fingers and pretty callused.

Edited:

I go to fix the intonation and guess what, the intonation is spot on. Both the open string and twelfth fret harmonic match up. But the other notes are quite off, mainly above the twelfth fret. Anybody have a suggestion?
    Keep adjusting. It's just a case of trial and error. Every time you tune one string another will slightly go out and so you need to just keep doing slight adjustments and hit every strings sweet spot.

32. Post #472
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,495 Posts
    Then you're action is too low or the truss rod isn't set up right.
    Action is all the way up, that's a no.
    No other string does it, it's just the G string, and I can look, it never touched any fret except for the one I wanted it to.

I put my action at the highest it could go when I got 13s. Now I need some fret wire, and maybe some new springs.

33. Post #473
    June 2005
    9,059 Posts
    Action is all the way up, that's a no.
    No other string does it, it's just the G string, and I can look, it never touched any fret except for the one I wanted it to.

I put my action at the highest it could go when I got 13s. Now I need some fret wire, and maybe some new springs.
    I was going to suggest maybe it's the frets but if they're not touching then lastly it could be the nut although it's unlikely since you're so high up the frets.. was it cut to fit 13s?

Also why the highest action AND 13s.. you doing some slide/lapsteel stuff or something? :p

34. Post #474
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,495 Posts
    I was going to suggest maybe it's the frets but if they're not touching then lastly it could be the nut although it's unlikely since you're so high up the frets.. was it cut to fit 13s?

Also why the highest action AND 13s.. you doing some slide/lapsteel stuff or something? :p
    No, I like lapsteel, but I don't want to get into it because I have enough projects as it is.
    I dunno what was wrong with the G, but the other reason I changed it is because of how it bent. It was hard to bend it (imagine bending an E on the first fret) and when you did full bend (at 12, to the A strings 'string' area) it wouldn't go up half a step.

I like to give myself challenges.
    I only have two major ones:
    Strengthen and help improve how dexterious my fingers are.
    Provide an updated and energized feel to old songs I listen to (so everyone ends up liking it). So far I'm doing pretty well with them.

35. Post #475
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Keep adjusting. It's just a case of trial and error. Every time you tune one string another will slightly go out and so you need to just keep doing slight adjustments and hit every strings sweet spot.
    It's not an issue with the other strings, it is that on the high e string, it will read good on the open and 12th fret harmonic, and also pressed down, but the pitch of the 18 fret C is way flat.

36. Post #476
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,495 Posts
    It's not an issue with the other strings, it is that on the high e string, it will read good on the open and 12th fret harmonic, and also pressed down, but the pitch of the 18 fret C is way flat.
    Sounds like a fret?

37. Post #477
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,307 Posts
    Might as well post my stuff here.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18186020/crap%20002.JPG
    You should really clean that guitar sometime
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

38. Post #478
    Dennab
    August 2010
    2,500 Posts
    You should really clean that guitar sometime
    It's not too bad, but a polish would make it look much better.

39. Post #479
    His wife, a native of Morris county, and a most estimable lady, died in 1869, at the age of 61.
    March 2011
    7,759 Posts
    The favourite neck I've played would have to be a bolt on jackson neck. My hands were used to it instantly.

I like Jackson guitars for the feel so I had one for jamming, but I used the M-II and the SoCal for recording. That was so damn long ago
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

40. Post #480
    Dennab
    August 2010
    2,500 Posts
    My custom V is using a Jackson bolt-on, you're right, they're pretty sweet. I still like my ESP and Agile necks a lot though.