1. Post #841
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,555 Posts
    I'm offically pissed, I have to modify the body because the pots dont fit.

That's what I get for buying some body off of ebay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #842
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    Just buy mini pots?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #843
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,665 Posts
    I can't fucking believe it. I seriously can't.

Tonight I had a gig at a talent tourney with the band I'm in. We're first on, so we have a dead crowd to work up, which we do. They all fucking get the fuck up and love us. Biggest cheers of the night. One of the last acts was a deathnumetalcore band which managed to break a brand new drum skin, the singer got stoned, dude's like 15 (this was an all age event, including children) and their first song in the set contained the word fuck as the main lyric.

and we fucking lost to them. we did a range, we did Blitzkrieg Bop, Johnny B. Goode, Thunderstruck (with both guitarists having wireless, they both went off the front of the stage to the crowd and soloed in front of all of their faces) and American Idiot.

all they did was a fucking mash of noise (this coming from a metal fan)
    They won out of pity for how bad they sucked.

4. Post #844
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,555 Posts
    Just buy mini pots?
    Nah, all of it is specially wired in, would be too much of a hassle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #845
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    629 Posts
    A melody and a chord progression are entirely different things.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_progression
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melody

Get your terminology straight before you call somebody out on something.

It sounds more or less the same to me. And not unlike what I was pushing out of the high-gain models in Guitar Rig just now before I dropped it in my practice routing for Amplitube.

If you dig it woo but it still just sounds..."hairy" to me. Something that isn't supposed to be pushed being pushed and reacting like mayo in the summer sun.
    If someone claims that you can't write a unique chord progression, then why are they even playing in the first place?
    Don't give some wikipedia snob bullshit in defense, that's seriously dumb. I'm referring to chord based melodies. My whole point is that this whole type of thinking (which my original response was directed) really closes doors in terms of creativity and inspiration. It doesn't matter if a chord progression is cliche or not, it can definitely be considered unique to the person who discovered it.

I'm sorry if I came off as a massive asshole.

6. Post #846
    Dennab
    August 2010
    2,500 Posts
    My custom is polished and waxed, AND all the copper tape is in place! It is soo close to finish.

7. Post #847
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    629 Posts
    my custom is polished and waxed, and all the copper tape is in place! It is soo close to finish.
    pics! :)

8. Post #848
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    If someone claims that you can't write a unique chord progression, then why are they even playing in the first place?
    Don't give some wikipedia snob bullshit in defense, that's seriously dumb. I'm referring to chord based melodies. My whole point is that this whole type of thinking (which my original response was directed) really closes doors in terms of creativity and inspiration. It doesn't matter if a chord progression is cliche or not, it can definitely be considered unique to the person who discovered it.

Chord based melodies are called arpeggios and they are based around a chord progression. I don't at all get where you are going with this closing doors and inspiration thing. I certainly don't know why you think making music would be pointless knowing that you aren't going to write a unique progression. There is far more to making music than the progression. A quick and simple proof of this is blues music which is all based off the same chord progression. It all sounds pretty varied and many unique bands and individuals stand out. Eh, I'm not really sure if you know what you're arguing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #849
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,495 Posts
    A quick and simple proof of this is blues music which is all based off the same chord progression. It all sounds pretty varied and many unique bands and individuals stand out. Eh, I'm not really sure if you know what you're arguing.
    12/8 bluez 4 lyfe.

10. Post #850
    wait.. using [color] tags counts towards characters used? fuck. I have like 4 spa
    June 2005
    9,059 Posts
    I want an amp with a tweed enclosure :\

11. Post #851
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,540 Posts
    My custom is polished and waxed, AND all the copper tape is in place! It is soo close to finish.
    You should make a thread for it in the DIY section, Im about to fire one up for my new project.

edit:

speaking of which http://www.facepunch.com/threads/107...0#post28812830
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

12. Post #852
    Dennab
    August 2010
    2,500 Posts
    Rooky rooky!

Cables aren't soldered, neck isn't bolted, and input jack is not in place yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #853
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,540 Posts
    Did you get the ferrules lined up properly? I failed miserably last time I used them :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

14. Post #854
    Dennab
    August 2010
    2,500 Posts
    Did you get the ferrules lined up properly? I failed miserably last time I used them :saddowns:
    One of them is off a tiny bit, but it is unnoticeable at more than 2 feet away, even with knowing which one it is.

Also, I would've taken better pictures, but I just didn't care when I found out my friend had left my DSLR on and it died. It uses AA's or a weird battery, and I don't use it often so I just use nonchargeables like a moron.

15. Post #855
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,000 Posts
    Here be a photo of us last night. No idea what point this was in the setlist though.

16. Post #856
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,307 Posts
    LOLDEA-

Nevermind
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

17. Post #857
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,011 Posts
    Because you CAN'T. Jesus H. Christ, this isn't hard to figure out. 12 notes per octave, 479,001,600 combinations of these. Non-dissonant (read: most non sucky) combinations number 36. Even using 479k combinations people have looked at and written all possible sets one can make before they begin to loop back into another set. Using the 36 that actually get any play, they've got what sounds good to a science.
    Don't give some wikipedia snob bullshit in defense, that's seriously dumb. I'm referring to chord based melodies.
    Then you don't actually know what the fuck you're talking about, sorry, and ought to get your terminology straight before you say anything else this dumb. Again, melody =/= chord progression.
    My whole point is that this whole type of thinking (which my original response was directed) really closes doors in terms of creativity and inspiration. It doesn't matter if a chord progression is cliche or not, it can definitely be considered unique to the person who discovered it.
    What you're not getting, and what's embarrassingly silly about this, is that no one "discovers" a good chord progression. If you're talking about the 36 standard chords and typical progressions of the same (you will not use anything else on a guitar because in most cases the remaining thousands are completely unplayable and sound like noise), it's a virtual guarantee that you've heard almost or all of them at one point, unless you live under a rock. There's a reason why progressions that sound good sound good, and a science to this, and taking advantage of what the nerds of old did and looking at preexisting progressions and why they stick with people isn't inhibiting to creativity but enabling it in every other facet of music.

Stop criticizing basic writing advice because your position is indefensible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #858
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    12,047 Posts

Sutor, ne ultra crepidam!

19. Post #859
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,860 Posts
    Argh, some guy at a guitar store made me buy regular light strings. I don't like them :frown:

I'm thinking about trying medium with a wound G-string next. Is that a good choice?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

20. Post #860
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    5,978 Posts
    I can't fucking believe it. I seriously can't.

Tonight I had a gig at a talent tourney with the band I'm in. We're first on, so we have a dead crowd to work up, which we do. They all fucking get the fuck up and love us. Biggest cheers of the night. One of the last acts was a deathnumetalcore band which managed to break a brand new drum skin, the singer got stoned, dude's like 15 (this was an all age event, including children) and their first song in the set contained the word fuck as the main lyric.

and we fucking lost to them. we did a range, we did Blitzkrieg Bop, Johnny B. Goode, Thunderstruck (with both guitarists having wireless, they both went off the front of the stage to the crowd and soloed in front of all of their faces) and American Idiot.

all they did was a fucking mash of noise (this coming from a metal fan)
    If the crowd honestly liked you guys more, then the place you played must be a piece of shit to have them win.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #861
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,000 Posts
    LOLDEA-

Nevermind
    :colbert:

Edited:

If the crowd honestly liked you guys more, then the place you played must be a piece of shit to have them win.
    we got probably one of the biggest cheers of the night, and we were first on. If we weren't first on, we would have probably won.

22. Post #862
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    Argh, some guy at a guitar store made me buy regular light strings. I don't like them :frown:

I'm thinking about trying medium with a wound G-string next. Is that a good choice?
    I loathe wound 3rd strings. Makes bending harder, makes overall fingering for chords harder, and it makes harmonics harder in my opinion. If you want to play mostly slide guitar it's really helpful, though.

Just try a thicker set of strings. Like some DR .010's - my favorite are their set that goes .010-.56
    And if that's not thick enough, look into some .011's

23. Post #863
    Who wants to come to the aquarium later and watch me screw with the sharks?
    May 2009
    13,030 Posts
    .010s are plenty for E-standard, only look into thicker if you down tune.

24. Post #864
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,860 Posts
    Arlight, I'll go for 0.010s next. Thanks.

25. Post #865
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,665 Posts
    I need new strings.... Why must the music store be on the other side of town?!?!

This wouldn't be a problem if I could drive.

26. Post #866
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    .010s are plenty for E-standard, only look into thicker if you down tune.
    I'm surprised Unreliable hasn't jumped in on this one

I fucking hate .10s in E, they're far too loose for me.

27. Post #867
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts

Do you believe in bending?
    Like, at all? Because anything more than .010's and my fingers really start to hurt.

28. Post #868
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,914 Posts
    Oh god I want to learn the tab for

But they are very underground and I've only been playing guitar for a few months, so I can't nearly play by ear.

29. Post #869
    December 2007
    508 Posts
    On the subject of guitar projects, when wiring the guitar i can only use aluminium wires, i cant use copper ones 'cause it'll cause disturbance in the magnetic field round the pickup right. And can i use lead solder?

30. Post #870
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,495 Posts

Anything lower than .13's is too loose for me.
    I want some .14's but my store doesn't have them and I don't want to order anything online for a while (Experienced credit theft)

31. Post #871
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    I've never tried above .11s but I'm considering bumping up to .12s.

I can bend fine on .11s Snake, once you've used them for a while your fingers adapt. I can do minor third bends on .09s now

32. Post #872
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,555 Posts
    Well, I got some progress done today.

Soldering and sanding.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5352/imgp0649x.jpgAfter I got the pot to fit in, I had to sand and file the pickguard to fit over the bridge, I have yet to drill all the correct holes for the pickguard but I did all the soldering of the electronics, they all solidly work when plugged in.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6278/imgp0653b.jpgThe box it came in...

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6820/imgp0645u.jpgMy current collection as of a few days ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

33. Post #873
    Antichristian Heathen Icelandic Bastard
    June 2008
    5,676 Posts
    Dean master race reporting in
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Iceland Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

34. Post #874
    "For I have dined on honey dew..."
    May 2010
    1,238 Posts
    I use 9's on my guitar in E.

i used to use 10's but these are so much nicer to play on and i bend alot i can play much faster on them as well.

i just have to be careful when putting the high E on.

35. Post #875
    Dennab
    August 2010
    2,500 Posts
    Getting new screws for my custom's neck, and the strings. Could be done today kiddies.

36. Post #876
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    629 Posts
    Because you CAN'T. Jesus H. Christ, this isn't hard to figure out. 12 notes per octave, 479,001,600 combinations of these. Non-dissonant (read: most non sucky) combinations number 36. Even using 479k combinations people have looked at and written all possible sets one can make before they begin to loop back into another set. Using the 36 that actually get any play, they've got what sounds good to a science.

Then you don't actually know what the fuck you're talking about, sorry, and ought to get your terminology straight before you say anything else this dumb. Again, melody =/= chord progression.

What you're not getting, and what's embarrassingly silly about this, is that no one "discovers" a good chord progression. If you're talking about the 36 standard chords and typical progressions of the same (you will not use anything else on a guitar because in most cases the remaining thousands are completely unplayable and sound like noise), it's a virtual guarantee that you've heard almost or all of them at one point, unless you live under a rock. There's a reason why progressions that sound good sound good, and a science to this, and taking advantage of what the nerds of old did and looking at preexisting progressions and why they stick with people isn't inhibiting to creativity but enabling it in every other facet of music.

Stop criticizing basic writing advice because your position is indefensible.
    There's no point in arguing with either of you guys. You really don't get what I'm saying. I KNOW chord progressions are limited down to a certain number, but please refrain from putting art into an exact science. I understand theory, i'm not here to argue the difference between a melody and chord progression (which a chord progression CAN BE A MELODY, jesus christ) Stop giving examples saying, lolz I know the math, i'm right. No, you're not right. Music is art, stop shitting all over it. fuck, you guys are such little kids sometimes.

Let me say it again.
    A chord progression with added scale degrees and pulloffs, via pinky, (espeically minor and major 7's) can define the melody of a song. If you know your theory, and have a vision in your head, you can find it on the fretboard. THIS is what i'm saying. Yes, there are a finite number of chords, yes there are a finite number of chord progressions, BUT if you know what the fuck your talking about theoretically, and you have a vision, this vision becomes possible on the fretboard, and thus.....

Unique to you. It's your vision, it's art, get the fuck over it.
    Done. I refuse to argue any further for fucks sake
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #877
    November 2010
    486 Posts
    Dean master race reporting in
    Squier is the true master race
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #878
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    257 Posts
    Squier is the true master race
    PRS. :colbert:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #879
    YOU'RE NOT ONE OF THOSE PRANCY FANCY DOLPHINS ARE YOU
    September 2009
    1,277 Posts
    I now remember why I hate changing strings on my acoustic. FUCKING PEGS GOD DAMN. One of them flew across the room, couldn't find it. I had to go buy a new set, and the guy at the store suggested ebony ones. They were like 7 bucks more, but they didn't pop out, even once.

Edited:

I need to get an ovation with the bridge that the strings go through

40. Post #880
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,665 Posts
    Maestro is true master race. :hitler: