1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    Hello fellow facepunchers,
    I'm looking to get a new car soon, and was wondering if you could help me out on which car to get. This is all assuming that I make enough to make the payments. It may be important to note that I get disscounts from Toyota, and all cars are considered to be new.
    Been looking at a few, but the list has grown to be more than optimistic:
    (bolded selections are what I am seriously considering)
    Scion tC
    2011 Toyota Corolla S
    Nissan Leaf
    2011 Mini Cooper
    Toyota Supra (unkown year)
    Scion xB
    Mazda 3
    Subaru WRX (4 door or 5 door?)
    Lancer EVO

I'm looking for something that would handle like a rally car (or rather, what I would imagine one to handle like), preferrably something with a v6 or above, will do 4 though. I am currently in possesion of a 2009 Toyota Matrix S, very nice car and have no complaints, only problem is that it's my dad's and I'll have a maximum of two years with it (it's on lease) unless I decide to buy it.

2. Post #2
    June 2007
    879 Posts
    Hello fellow facepunchers,
    I'm looking to get a new car soon, and was wondering if you could help me out on which car to get. This is all assuming that I make enough to make the payments. It may be important to note that I get disscounts from Toyota, and all cars are considered to be new.
    Been looking at a few, but the list has grown to be more than optimistic:
    (bolded selections are what I am seriously considering)
    Scion tC
    2011 Toyota Corolla S
    Nissan Leaf
    2011 Mini Cooper
    Toyota Supra (unkown year)
    Scion xB
    Mazda 3
    Subaru WRX (4 door or 5 door?)
    Lancer EVO

I'm looking for something that would handle like a rally car (or rather, what I would imagine one to handle like), preferrably something with a v6 or above, will do 4 though. I am currently in possesion of a 2009 Toyota Matrix S, very nice car and have no complaints, only problem is that it's my dad's and I'll have a maximum of two years with it (it's on lease) unless I decide to buy it.
    I just taught a buddy of mine how to drive stick on his 2011 tC. Its a nice car but its not fast nor does it handle super well. The Toyota corolla S is a rip off because it has no "Sporty" upgrades over a regular Corolla... It just looks nicer thats it. A Mazda 3 is Ok, but see if you can find a used Mazdaspeed 3 over a regular 3. WRX and EVO are the obvious choices if you have the money. Although the supra would be just as good IMHO (Just not "Rally Like")

3. Post #3
    October 2009
    3,454 Posts
    Subaru Subaru Subaru Subaru Subaru Subaru

edburg will approve

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    I sort-of knew that the Corolla Sport wasn't really a sport, as it doesn't cost anymore than the normal version. Was considering the Mazda because it seems like a great deal for 15 @$180(?) a month.
    On the topic of the WRX/EVO, which actually would be better? I've seriously been thinking about saving up and possibly riding out my two years until we start getting discounts from Subaru (yes, Toyota now owns Subaru) and then getting the WRX. If I do end up going with the WRX, should it be the 5 door or 4 door? My Matrix is a 5 door, and it comes in handy, but I'm not sure if I like the bulbous-ness of the back hatch area.

5. Post #5
    October 2009
    3,454 Posts
    I would get the 4 door, and also, Toyota does not own Subaru. They just happen to have 1, yes one, chair seat on their board of directors because they bought a bit more stock.

Subaru will stay the same.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    Okie dokie, thanks, that's one thing out of the way.
    Never said Subaru would change, I hope they don't, just meant that they held more stock. Same thing with Yamaha and Lexus.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,687 Posts
    mustang
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Volkswagen and Cigar Aficionado
    October 2006
    2,849 Posts
    Subaru. Subaru. Soo-bar-oo. Do it.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    definetaly get a ford gt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    Rather fix the Stingray that's out in my driveway.
    Although I won't say I haven't thought about it.

Adding another demension to my perferred cars: it must be quick.

11. Post #11
    February 2011
    187 Posts
    Out of the bolded cars, definitely the Mazda. But make it a speed. They are pretty good cars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    June 2007
    879 Posts
    Give us a budget.
    Please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    October 2008
    2,661 Posts
    Subaru

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,710 Posts
    Get an Evo....I always wanted one but they are too dam much for me.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,593 Posts
    Toyota Supra, you know it will be the most fun car on the list. Plus sideways action on roundabouts is always fun!

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,687 Posts
    out of the ones you listed, supra, evo, wrx. in that order

or you could buy a mustang and put supra/evo/wrx badging on it yeah do that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    or you could buy a mustang and put supra/evo/wrx badging on it yeah do that
    Do this. Mustang + SiR badge + STi badge + Ralliart badge

Everyone will think you are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,948 Posts
    i never understood why people asking for car choice advice put cars like supra's and Evo's on the smae list as corollas and scions

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    Practicality, budget, mpg, ect. Plus it's a conversation starter.
    My current budget is set up for something that's 15000, but I just got a new job and since I'm starting to plan to stick with my old car for a while I'll have a bit more room. I'll know some time in the next couple weeks.
    I do appreciate all your guys' help, just so you know.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,948 Posts
    There's nothing practical about a supra, parts are expensive for a ~20 year old rare foreign car, and you are not getting good mpg's on japans muscle car

21. Post #21
    July 2005
    37 Posts
    Practicality, budget, mpg, ect. Plus it's a conversation starter.
    My current budget is set up for something that's 15000, but I just got a new job and since I'm starting to plan to stick with my old car for a while I'll have a bit more room. I'll know some time in the next couple weeks.
    I do appreciate all your guys' help, just so you know.
    I've always found the 70's era Datsun Z's to be fun. Parts are pretty cheap and somewhat easy to find. They're quite the looker as well.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    There's nothing practical about a supra, parts are expensive for a ~20 year old rare foreign car, and you are not getting good mpg's on japans muscle car
    No, haha, I was giving a few reasons as to why I included a Corolla in the same list as a WRX or the Leaf.

I've always found the 70's era Datsun Z's to be fun. Parts are pretty cheap and somewhat easy to find. They're quite the looker as well.
    Just google'd it, motortrend's saying ~3000 as the base price for one, be pretty hard to beat that.

23. Post #23
    May 2009
    2,784 Posts
    How big is your budget ? Are looking for a small car (3 door) or a big car (5 door) ? .. Also for what do you want to use it ? Drive to work , just chill or tuning ?

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    As of right now, I'm (seriously) looking at cars that are around 15k, but that's only because I have no money right now and my 'budget' is still planned that way. Recently got a new job and now I'm possibly going to a cheaper school and staying at home for a year or so; so my budget is going to increase quite a bit in the near future.
    Looking at any size really, just don't want a truck or SUV. Or van. Don't want a clunker or anything, I mean, I have an '09 on lease right now and will have the opportunity to buy it cheap.
    Going to be using it for commuting and 'chilling', would love to get into actually tuning and upgrading and stuff (but I have no knowledge of that stuff), and the way I drive I'm surprised that my MatrixS isn't dead yet.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,055 Posts
    Have you thought about one of the newer VW GTi's?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    Have you thought about one of the newer VW GTi's?
    Just looked at it, compared it to my matrix and really the only thing that's different is that (realitively) massive engine, which trumps out all the other comparisons. In all practicality, it wouldn't be worth it for me to go out and buy a new +20k car only because of the bigger engine, not to mention that the payments are twice the price of an even newer matrix. Thanks for the suggestion though, but I do enjoy my ~20 cubic feet of storage room.