i dig it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

2. Post #202
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts

Loveless - My Bloody Valentine

no there's nothing wrong with your stereo-system. no you didn't download a shoddy rip. no it's not a bootlegged version.

loveless is the one album i'd give to any guitarist that told me "i don't wanna play rock and roll anymore". even though the methods used on this album are very simple (i accomplished about the same thing by pushing my reverb through my amp with everything turned to 10) it sounds unlike anything else. add the sleepy droopy vocals and you've got something that sounds like a minor threat concert on ecstasy. undeniable influence to anything post-rock related.

bjorkulator score:
    5 sleepy bjorks out of 5

BONUS!!!!:
    why not listen to it while you got the chance?
    http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/albu...s/132501?src=5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #203
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,533 Posts

Cool album. Crazy, weird, strange, and cool.
    Thanks tip

bjorkulator score:
    5 sleepy bjorks out of 5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #204
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    what's going on
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

5. Post #205
    February 2011
    17,533 Posts
    stop copying my posting style thisispain
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events

6. Post #206
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,328 Posts
    everything

Edited:

omg ninja
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #207
    May 2010
    1,917 Posts

10 Keith Buckleys out of 10

Because he knows the strippers real name.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

8. Post #208
    January 2010
    274 Posts

Kode9 & The Space Ape - Black Sun

Rating: A+

If you are a lover of dubstep, and not just the kind that makes you want to punch the nearest abortion doctor, this is the album for you. All the songs have their own interesting aspects, and are not just mindless dance tracks. What you'll hear is hard to explain, but that doesn't take away from how good overall this album is. If you've never listened to spaceape, you will probably be upset that he doesn't do much singing, it's more of spoken word/rap, but it goes great with the darkness of the music. I'm just going to shut up and recommend this to anyone who likes mala, zomby, the bug, kode9 & space ape :|, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #209
    November 2008
    167 Posts
    -snip-

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,229 Posts

Deathconsciousness: The Plow That Broke the Plains & The Future by Have a Nice Life.

Absolutely amazing voidy mix of shoe-gaze and post-rock. Atmospheric, moody and deep - probably my favorite album of all time It saddens me deeply that this band is so unheard of when this album is seriously this amazing. They don't even have a wikipedia page. They only made ~500 copies by themselves and published it through Enemies List Home Recordings. You can however buy it for $5 digitally which comes with a 75 page book that was written by some history professor about the themes of the album.

I will oversell you this album -- I cannot recommend it more.

Edited:

no there's nothing wrong with your stereo-system. no you didn't download a shoddy rip. no it's not a bootlegged version.

loveless is the one album i'd give to any guitarist that told me "i don't wanna play rock and roll anymore". even though the methods used on this album are very simple (i accomplished about the same thing by pushing my reverb through my amp with everything turned to 10) it sounds unlike anything else. add the sleepy droopy vocals and you've got something that sounds like a minor threat concert on ecstasy. undeniable influence to anything post-rock related.

bjorkulator score:
    5 sleepy bjorks out of 5

BONUS!!!!:
    why not listen to it while you got the chance?
    http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/albu...s/132501?src=5
    The album art really reflects the music.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #211
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    9,477 Posts

Tron OST- Daft Punk

10/10

Its Daft Punk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #212
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,680 Posts
    Its Daft Punk.
    Not all of their albums were great :smugdog:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #213
    February 2011
    17,533 Posts

14. Post #214
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,680 Posts

Jorge Ben - Fora Bruta - 1970

A

It may not have been the "most" appropriate samba album to start with, but I went with it purely because it was said to be a samba soul album. :smug:
    It's a very bright sounding record, kind of blew me away actually. Truly catchy songs here, and while it may not be pure to it's genre as I may have thought without listening to more.. this is something else.

After a few more listens I'll even try and get the vinyl of it :3:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #215
    February 2011
    17,533 Posts
    I envy your ecleticism. :unsmith:

16. Post #216
    ♩♪♫♬
    March 2009
    2,453 Posts
    I love all their albums, I don't know what albums you thought weren't great though.

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,680 Posts
    I love all their albums, I don't know what albums you thought weren't great though.
    I don't like to say all of their albums were great while still loving the artist.

I would say that Human After All was their least inspired work, that doesn't mean to say it wasn't enjoyable. That's just how I would rate it :3:

Edited:

Stan Getz and Joo Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto - 1964

A+

This is a mindblowing album. As far as pioneering a genre goes, this is a big one. So easy to listen to and timeless. Almost 50 years old and I can still find it easy to see how people nowadays can enjoy it.

It's more "Bossa-Nova" than straight up Samba like I was looking for, but I dig this to the point where it is essential for my collection.

Edited:

Novos Baianos - Acabou Chorare - 1971

B+

It's supposed to be the biggest samba record, but I personally wasn't as moved as I would have thought, having previously heard a Jorge Ben album.

This is good stuff though, worth a listen.

18. Post #218
    ♩♪♫♬
    March 2009
    2,453 Posts
    I would say that Human After All was their least inspired work, that doesn't mean to say it wasn't enjoyable. That's just how I would rate it :3:
    Ah, okay. Human After All is probably my second favourite, behind, or with, Discovery, but I do get what you mean by uninspired.

19. Post #219
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,680 Posts

Mastodon - Crack The Skye - 2009

A

I've listened to this a ton of times, but I feel like rating it anyway.. since it was one of my first true metal thrills.

It isn't being pretentious and it doesn't dabble around, this just gives it to you straight and immerses you within a certain tone of metal.. or probably only prog metal since I don't really hear it anywhere else.. and it makes you feel. All you want to do is groove, especially with The Last Baron.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #220
    ♩♪♫♬
    March 2009
    2,453 Posts

I gave this a listen, pretty interesting, not my kind of music I don't think, but it was still good, 8/10

21. Post #221
    May 2010
    1,917 Posts

Mastodon - Crack The Skye - 2009

A

I've listened to this a ton of times, but I feel like rating it anyway.. since it was one of my first true metal thrills.

It isn't being pretentious and it doesn't dabble around, this just gives it to you straight and immerses you within a certain tone of metal.. or probably only prog metal since I don't really hear it anywhere else.. and it makes you feel. All you want to do is groove, especially with The Last Baron.
    The Czar really bored me since it's just the same part repeated over and over again for 10 minutes. Kind of like Hearts Alive almost on Leviathan. I have to check how long until the song is over because they both bore me to some extent.

22. Post #222
    April 2011
    204 Posts

Johnny Hollow - Dirty Hands (2008)

3.5/5

It was alright, not enough stand out tracks really.

23. Post #223
    April 2011
    1,475 Posts

The Pixies - Doolittle - 8.5/10

Good Alt Rock with some noise incorporated into it. A good listen for a day of chilling out, and there's just a charm about it that keeps you listening. Hard to pass up.

24. Post #224
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts
    Doolittle's one of my favourite albums. Check out Surfer Rosa which is also by the Pixies if you want something more psychotic sounding.

25. Post #225
    April 2011
    1,475 Posts
    Will do

26. Post #226
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts

Silent Shout - The Knife

have you ever asked yourself, "what if aphex twin was a woman with a bjork-esque voice and made songs about feminism?"

well the answer would be silent shout. with a sound world that i could describe as autechre crashing into an I-Love-The-80's special, silent shout is a furious electronica album. most striking is the swedish singer's voice, which will often be pitch shifted, from the hilarious man-voice of One Hit to the impossibly high and creepy Na Na Na.

if you enjoy any kind of electronic music then you are missing out on some of the most forward and unique electronic pop of the last decade. throw out your lady gaga records, the knife has harder beats and hotter hooks.

bjork-ma-ork:
    5 creepy robo bjorks out of 5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #227
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts
    The Grateful Dead - American Beauty

456/599

Nice fun happy countyish rock.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #228
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,922 Posts

Eels - Electro-Shock Blues - 1998

B+

Not the most distinct Indie sounding record, I liked it a lot actually. This is very emotional and personal I feel... and the reason why I'm not rating this considerably higher is that it didn't particularly make me feel how the artist wanted me to feel.

For example, "The Dark Side of the Moon" makes me feel precisely how the artist wants me to feel and there is no escaping that. With this one, you can simply accept what is going on and take on what it is ranting about, even though as melodious as it may be.. it doesn't steal your heart like something Radiohead could make.

Still one to recommend.
    I know what you're saying, but personally I find Eels to have some of the most "heart stealing" - as you put it - music I've heard, much moreso than Radiohead. I think knowing about Mark Everett's story makes a difference - the man's life is a complete tragedy and it can change your perception of his music.

I understand though, that album is quite depressing and the tone is quite different to his other work.
    Try this:

On-topic:

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

A

Some of the best and most thought provoking themes I have heard in an album. I'm finding it very difficult to pay proper attention to Arcade Fire however, there's just something about the atmosphere created by their sound which is a bit... lethargic? I don't know. As far as their music goes, though, this is fantastic. I know people say Funeral is their best but honestly I find this so much more accessible, and this is only a good thing in my eyes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #229
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    arcade fire lethargic? i would say arcade fire is completely restless.

30. Post #230
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    17,882 Posts

Scary Kids Scaring Kids's The City Sleeps In Flames

8/10

Can't say much about it other than that it has awesome vocals, good instrumentals and good lyrics.

I like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

31. Post #231
    YOUR DESKTOP IS SHIT YOU STUPID FUCKS
    August 2009
    5,301 Posts
    Donnie Darko OST

"Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS – 3:04
    "Head Over Heels" by Tears for Fears – 4:16
    "Under the Milky Way" by The Church – 4:58
    "Lucid Memory" by Sam Bauer and Gerard Bauer – 0:46
    "Lucid Assembly" by Gerard Bauer and Mike Bauer – 0:52
    "Ave Maria" by Vladimir Vavilov and Paul Pritchard – 2:57
    "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Steve Baker and Carmen Daye – 3:12
    "Show Me (Part 1)" by Quito Colayco and Tony Hertz – 2:05
    "Notorious" by Duran Duran – 4:00
    "Stay" by Oingo Boingo – 3:38
    "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division – 3:23
    "The Killing Moon" by Echo & the Bunnymen – 5:55
    I honestly think that the Donnie Darko OST is the best compilation of music ever put together. All 12 tracks are the absolute most wonderful tracks ever recorded. I could listen to this over and over; I would never be able to grow tired.

5/5 Franks

32. Post #232
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,680 Posts
    I know what you're saying, but personally I find Eels to have some of the most "heart stealing" - as you put it - music I've heard, much moreso than Radiohead. I think knowing about Mark Everett's story makes a difference - the man's life is a complete tragedy and it can change your perception of his music..
    Fair enough, I personally think it was a good album.
    I've heard my share of depressing albums, but this didn't have a strong enough effect for me to rate it.

Needless to say it was still awesome.

Edited:

The Grateful Dead - American Beauty

456/599

Nice fun happy countyish rock.
    :iia:

Also, creative rating style you have there.

Edited:

The Czar really bored me since it's just the same part repeated over and over again for 10 minutes. Kind of like Hearts Alive almost on Leviathan. I have to check how long until the song is over because they both bore me to some extent.
    Leviathan is probably better. But that being said, I'm a prog man, and I don't really care how long a song would be. If I were to listen to the album, I leave it going if I want.

I was planning on only listening to Oblivion anyway, but that's what this does. I suggest more progressive music for you, it's better to understand how to feel about the style and becoming familiar with it.

33. Post #233
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois or Sufjan Stevens Invites You To: Come On Feel The Illinoise

4/10

A wonderful album that acts as a mix between alternative rock baroque pop and indie pop and folk rock. Stevens has a great voice and the melodies are all very memorable and emotional combined with beautiful instrumentals. I love this album.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

34. Post #234
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    17,882 Posts

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois or Sufjan Stevens Invites You To: Come On Feel The Illinoise

4/10

A wonderful album that acts as a mix between alternative rock baroque pop and indie pop and folk rock. Stevens has a great voice and the melodies are all very memorable and emotional combined with beautiful instrumentals. I love this album.
    4/10 for an album you love?

Why didnt it score higher?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

35. Post #235
    February 2010
    770 Posts
    Cloudkicker - Beacons

5/5

I like how it's purely instrumental. The titles give you all the meaning necessary to understand what the band is saying. The music can vary from ambient and soft, so much more intense and almost metal. Music created an image in my head, and I love it when songs do that. 5/5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #236
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts

Because the last track was weak.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #237
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,680 Posts

Yeah What gives? You gave the Bob Dylan album a low rating while saying you loved it.

Makes no sense :psyduck:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #238
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,328 Posts
    so because one track wasn't as good as the rest it got a very low score?

39. Post #239
    An airbag saved my life
    February 2007
    2,121 Posts
    Pie is trolling us.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #240
    September 2010
    955 Posts

Because goats