The Hymn of a Broken man by Times of Grace - 2011
    Great album. It's full of energy...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #42

April 2010
    587 Posts

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink - 1971

9.5/10

This is brilliant. Nine Feet Underground is amazing; for a 20 minute long song it's really easy to get into.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #43
    August 2010
    5,378 Posts
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui Uxo

Very enjoyable album, however not as atmospheric as their previous efforts due to the rather crisp recording and lack of audio sampling and ambient sections, what made their previous albums like their debut and "Lift Your Skinny Fists..." so engrossing. 8/10

4. Post #44
    October 2010
    96 Posts

Necrophagist - Epitaph - 2004

4/5

twas beatufuil
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    17,931 Posts

Big Fat Box Of Shit by Crotchduster - 2004

10/10

This shit is just so crazy and so awesome, one moment it's this genre and the other moment it's that genre.
    It's just too awesome and the lyrics are hilarious too.

Here have a list of the amount of genres per song, this is probably not everything.

Crotchduster Musical Styles posted:
    True Nature of Williams

Comedy
    Hardrock
    Death Metal
    Rock
    Trash Metal
    Soft-Rock Ballad
    Death Metal
    Soft-Rock
    Grindcore

Big Top Williams

Comedy
    Soft-Rock
    Death Metal
    Hard-Rock
    Grindcore
    Jungle
    Grindcore
    Jungle
    Grindcore
    A-capella
    Nu-Metal
    Symphonic Black Metal
    Trash Metal
    Indo-Rock

Cain Sings The Blues

Comedy
    Death Metal
    Disco
    Death Metal
    Nu-Metal
    Death Metal

Let Me Into Starfish Land

Comedy
    Disco
    Death Metal
    Heavy Metal
    Jazz
    Death Metal
    Groove Metal
    Disco
    Heavy Metal
    Death Metal

Mr. Indignant Erection

Comedy
    Opera
    Heavy Metal
    Disco
    Death Metal
    Nu-Metal
    Death Metal

Mammal Sauce

Comedy
    Rap
    Grindcore
    Soft-Rock
    Symphonic Black Metal
    Punk
    Heavy Metal
    Soft-Rock
    Soft-Rock with Hetfield-like vocals.
    Pop with autotuned vocals.
    Soft-Rock

Jogging In Hell

Comedy
    Jazz
    Grindcore
    Disco
    Symphonic stuff
    Comedy

Stars Ingenious Cooter (Live)

Comedic Speech
    Death Metal
    Heavy Metal
    Disco
    Death Metal
    Disco
    Death Metal
    Disco
    Grindcore
    Rock
    Industrial Metal
    Grindcore
    Opera
    Grindcore
    Opera
    Grindcore

Crotchopus

Comedic dialogue
    Death Metal
    Comedy
    Funk
    Backwards music
    Nu-Metal
    Fake movie advert about LET'S KILL THE DUTCH
    Heavy Metal
    Comedy
    Pop
    Fake movie advert
    Death Metal
    And now they are reading hatemail
    My mammal sauce is the best mammal sauce.

Edited:

I might have mistaken Grindcore for Death Metal a couple of times because I wasn't paying attention.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

6. Post #46
    YOUR DESKTOP IS SHIT YOU STUPID FUCKS
    August 2009
    5,301 Posts

Relentless, Reckless Forever- Children Of Bodom (2011)
    7.5/10

Definitely a good album, better than the last two for sure. It did pass over my head a bit but I enjoyed it quite a lot. It's maybe a little short though (just over half an hour). Alexi's voice isn't top notch, but it hasn't been for years. His voice sounds very strained. He's probably going to ruin it soon honestly. I mean it still sounds decent but it's not as good as it used to be. Going from listening to anything pre- Are You Dead Yet? really shows it's got weaker. I've always liked CoB's emphasis on keyboards, and there's still plenty of that in here. Some great keyboard solos, as well as good guitarwork. Some of the riffs aren't that great, but none are particularly terrible.

I'd recommend it to people into this stuff. I think it's their strongest release in years.

I grew up on Follow the Reaper and Hatebreeder, I hated Blooddrunk. Would I like this?

7. Post #47
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,682 Posts
    It's way better than Blooddrunk. That's definitely their worst album. It's similar to AYDY? but I think it's better.

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,772 Posts
    Okay, I'm gonna change my ratings to Grades. As an ode to the Christgau :smug:

Edited:

Erykah Badu - Mama's Gun - 2000

A+

So consistent and beautifully done that I can't get enough of it. This probably outdoes every R&B album of the 2000s and I think it's now one of my all time favourites. It's underappreciated in the music community, as I think Lauryn Hill is given the attention when it concerns Contemporary R&B. But this is more "Neo-Soul" I feel. Gives a new meaning to the entire idea of soul, it touches on bounderies of both Contemporary R&B while still remaining consistently soulful in her methods.
    Very creative and I look forward to hearing her newer works.

Edited:

Raphael Saadiq - The Way I See It - 2008

A

Not quite sure why it's deemed "Neo-Soul" as it is in the description, but this is definitely a roots soul album. Very distinct production as well as a smooth voice that hints a little bit of loudness. Nothing I've heard from newer soul triers has done that before. Aloe Blacc has found glory along these production techniques, but not quite as much as Raphael does it here, he is more "Pop" sounding anyway.

See here, soul is more "motown" than what you can here in the 70s, with all those movements. It doesn't need to be conceptual, it just needs to press the button and keep going forward without stopping... It's not a deep album, but I still dig every part of it.

Edited:

The Orb (Featuring David Gilmour) - Metallic Spheres - 2011

C+

Expect hype among the Pink Floyd community for obvious reasons. Don't get me wrong, I like this music... quite a bit. But I'm rating this album based on creativity and concept. It is a bit... of a dead end to be honest.

It's set out as two Tracks "Metallic Side" and "Spheres Side". I don't see much difference in music in either, but there are hints of Gilmour's great guitar work and some vocals..

I do like the second half the best, it brings out the guitar more and is overall more enjoyable. It's more electronica and ambient than what Gilmour is most recognized to do... but fans will like to see this side of Gilmour.

I say give it a go, but don't expect some extravagent solos.

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,142 Posts
    Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill

A+/10 out of 10

From 1972. It's probably my 5th or 6th all time favorite album, and definitely if we're just talking jazz/rock fusion. Its great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,772 Posts
    Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill

A+/10 out of 10

From 1972. It's probably my 5th or 6th all time favorite album, and definitely if we're just talking jazz/rock fusion. Its great.
    Amazing album. Not quite as great as Pretzel Logic in my opinion, but it's a tough call... they're all great, that's the issue :smith:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,142 Posts
    Amazing album. Not quite as great as Pretzel Logic in my opinion, but it's a tough call... they're all great, that's the issue :smith:
    I think we can agree that the first three albums, featuring the actual band (Skunk, et al) were the best. Not that the others were bad... and I love me a good Larry Carlton solo.

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,772 Posts
    I think we can agree that the first three albums, featuring the actual band (Skunk, et al) were the best. Not that the others were bad... and I love me a good Larry Carlton solo.
    Two Against Nature blew my mind to be honest. The sound on that, is what keeps the digital format in the game between it's war with Analogue.

Edited:

Aja is also a good album.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,142 Posts
    Yeah, their two most recent albums are also really good, which is surprising because old bands like them usually seem to lose their touch after 40 years. But you really wouldn't expect anything less from a guy like Donald Fagen. I saw them live 5 years ago and they blew my mind. You wouldn't know it wasn't the '70s if you didn't already, and I mean that in the best way possible.

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts

So this is apparently indie-opera-rock based around the Mega Man television series story. How this is on Spotify is beyond me.

It is a very soothing and melancholic album, with very describing solos and lyrics transcribed from the series. It is mostly laid-back, with intense passages that I guess are supposed to be battle scenes.

Unfortunately, all the symbolism was lost on me due to me forgetting to turn Shuffle off. It's still a great sound though.

Score:

3.5/5 limes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    April 2011
    204 Posts

Dog Fashion Disco - Adultery

I've been listening to some "Avant-Garde Metal" and these guys were pretty good, among others.

I'll have to give it a few more listens but for now I'll give it a 7/10

Going to listen to Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History tonight.

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,438 Posts

Monumental Torment - Element of Chaos - 2011

A solid tech death album with nothing particularly spectacular.
    I'm so indecisive with number ratings, so I'll just say I like it, and tech death fans should give it a listen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    His wife, a native of Morris county, and a most estimable lady, died in 1869, at the age of 61.
    March 2011
    8,194 Posts
    Okay, I'm gonna change my ratings to Grades. As an ode to the Christgau :smug:

Edited:

Erykah Badu - Mama's Gun - 2000

A+

So consistent and beautifully done that I can't get enough of it. This probably outdoes every R&B album of the 2000s and I think it's now one of my all time favourites. It's underappreciated in the music community, as I think Lauryn Hill is given the attention when it concerns Contemporary R&B. But this is more "Neo-Soul" I feel. Gives a new meaning to the entire idea of soul, it touches on bounderies of both Contemporary R&B while still remaining consistently soulful in her methods.
    Very creative and I look forward to hearing her newer works.

Edited:

Raphael Saadiq - The Way I See It - 2008

A

Not quite sure why it's deemed "Neo-Soul" as it is in the description, but this is definitely a roots soul album. Very distinct production as well as a smooth voice that hints a little bit of loudness. Nothing I've heard from newer soul triers has done that before. Aloe Blacc has found glory along these production techniques, but not quite as much as Raphael does it here, he is more "Pop" sounding anyway.

See here, soul is more "motown" than what you can here in the 70s, with all those movements. It doesn't need to be conceptual, it just needs to press the button and keep going forward without stopping... It's not a deep album, but I still dig every part of it.

Edited:

The Orb (Featuring David Gilmour) - Metallic Spheres - 2011

C+

Expect hype among the Pink Floyd community for obvious reasons. Don't get me wrong, I like this music... quite a bit. But I'm rating this album based on creativity and concept. It is a bit... of a dead end to be honest.

It's set out as two Tracks "Metallic Side" and "Spheres Side". I don't see much difference in music in either, but there are hints of Gilmour's great guitar work and some vocals..

I do like the second half the best, it brings out the guitar more and is overall more enjoyable. It's more electronica and ambient than what Gilmour is most recognized to do... but fans will like to see this side of Gilmour.

I say give it a go, but don't expect some extravagent solos.
    Robert Christgau is a dickhead
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,772 Posts
    Robert Christgau is a dickhead

Although, to be fair... He rated Jeff Buckley a bad grade and called him an asshole in the review!!! :argh:

He is a sod.. And that's why he's great :smug:

19. Post #59
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,682 Posts

Come Clarity by In Flames- 8/10

I really like this album. A lot of fans don't, but I guess that's because in flames' fans are quite divided between fans of the old stuff and fans of the new. Personally I like everything they've done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    February 2010
    16,296 Posts

Odelay (Deluxe Edition) - Beck 10/10

Odelay was a good album already but the addition of another disc as well as bonus tracks improves the album. The stripped down version of ''Jack-ass'' which is named ''Strange Invitation'' gives the listener a sample of the stripped down sound used in Beck's later album ''Sea Change''. This proves how diverse Beck's sound can be, from drum machines and samples to a guitar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,772 Posts

Although, to be fair... He rated Jeff Buckley a bad grade and called him an asshole in the review!!! :argh:

He is a sod.. And that's why he's great :smug:
    Holy shit, I just realised that he's Woody Allen.

:byodood:

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,502 Posts

8/10

It's grown on me a lot over the past 2 weeks ish. On first listen, I wasn't too happy, everybody really wants This Is It 2, but that's never going to happen, the band has changed, and I'm happy with it. Stand out songs Machu picchu, Under Cover of Darkness, Taken for a Fool and Gratisfaction
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,713 Posts

Amazing album, Alive is probably the best Grunge piece I've ever heard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    August 2010
    5,378 Posts

Odelay (Deluxe Edition) - Beck 10/10

Odelay was a good album already but the addition of another disc as well as bonus tracks improves the album. The stripped down version of ''Jack-ass'' which is named ''Strange Invitation'' gives the listener a sample of the stripped down sound used in Beck's later album ''Sea Change''. This proves how diverse Beck's sound can be, from drum machines and samples to a guitar.
    My favourite album. Would you say it's worth a second purchase for all the extra content?

The Aphex Twin remix of Devil's Haircut also intrigues and excites me, being a big Aphex fan.

Homework - Daft Punk

Fucking brilliant. Simplistic, classic house that's catchy, relaxing and very '90s. Wonderful! 10/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    17,931 Posts

9.8/10

Really awesome, the grooves especially.

I am not giving it a 10/10 because 45 minutes of this is not enough of this awesomeness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,772 Posts

ProjeKct One - Live at the Jazz Cafe - 1999

B

It's a side of project of King Crimson. Not many KC fans know that it is actually just King Crimson here doing a live show. I think a couple of the King Crimson "Projekcts" are actually studio albums. This isn't one, but due to it having Bill Bruford on drums as well as the line up at the time of King Crimson... I couldn't pass it by.

It's pretty much improvisation and experimentation... nothing too structured. But it is quite enjoyable, these are reknowned musicians so you won't hear them "battling" to see who get's the best rhythm going.

It is the only ProjeKct album I've listened to so far, but I enjoy it a lot. Being an avid listener of the main band, these side albums are intriguing and enjoyable.

27. Post #67
    February 2011
    17,713 Posts
    Homework - Daft Punk

Fucking brilliant. Simplistic, classic house that's catchy, relaxing and very '90s. Wonderful! 10/10
    In my opinion, everyone should listen to Homework -> Discovery -> Human After All -> Alive 2007 to make sure they don't like electronic music.
    I've converted many friends that way. I used to listen to rock and only rock when I was younger, but nowadays I can give anything a try thanks to that.
    Daft Punk is my favourite group, for sure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    His wife, a native of Morris county, and a most estimable lady, died in 1869, at the age of 61.
    March 2011
    8,194 Posts
    Iron Maiden - Brave New World - 2000

Usually bands get old before you know it, but after 20 years of records, Iron Maiden somehow continue to amaze me with this release. It's a mix between the X Factor and Somewhere In Time Imo, and the general epic feel of it makes it really playable. The front cover is astonishing too.

8.5/10 - 9/10 if you listen to it while its raining

Edited:

To the left of eddies eye is another face and below that is a shark :byodood:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

29. Post #69
    February 2010
    16,296 Posts
    My favourite album. Would you say it's worth a second purchase for all the extra content?

The Aphex Twin remix of Devil's Haircut also intrigues and excites me, being a big Aphex fan.
    If you're a Beck fan then this should absolutely be in your collection, you haven't lived until you've Jack-Ass performed in a mariachi style

Edited:

I jumped on the chance to own the album.

30. Post #70
    August 2010
    5,378 Posts
    If you're a Beck fan then this should absolutely be in your collection, you haven't lived until you've Jack-Ass performed in a mariachi style

Edited:

I jumped on the chance to own the album.
    That's brilliant. I'll definitely be buying this pretty soon, now. Thanks alot!

My old copy of Odelay could use an update anyway, scratches and tears everywhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,772 Posts

James Blake - James Blake - 2011

A-

First proper dubstep record I've heard in a while.. and this is a keeper. This is something to like, it's very much a minimal, ambient, art pop sounding record rather than a straight up dubstep. I'm not too familier as I should be with the genre, but that is how I interpreted it. So I guess it's not too alien to what I'm used to.

It's not so much experimental, but there are styles incorporated that tell me he knows the vibe of "soul" to give off while keeping minimal. It's not a lengthy piece like I would have expected, and there is a consistency within the style of the songs that keeps you wanted to hear more.

It sounds as if he is in his own world here, but not much like a "Dream Pop" record or somewhat... this is a bit more honed in and to the point. I'm thrilled he got some success with it in the UK, artful pop doesn't really hit the charts that much over here.

Will have to give it another listen or two to get a full idea of it, but on my first listen... I really enjoyed where he is getting at. His next record will be the stunner though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    I told you he was good AK'z

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,772 Posts
    I told you he was good AK'z
    He really is, you should have been a bit more pressing so I could've heard it earlier. :smug:

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    10,219 Posts

Band: Deadlock
    Album: Manifesto
    Year: 2008
    Genre: Melodic Death Metal
    Rating: 7/10

Generally a great album. I personally am not too fond of the lyrics in some songs (mainly "Fire at will" for it's highly inaccurate portrayal of all hunters (yes, there is a minority of hunters who are like that, but they are hated by everyone, including the majority of all hunters)), but it's still a great album, and some lyrics are very agreeable.

As a bonus: The best song of the album. It has guest vocals by Christian "Vocal God" Älvestam!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

35. Post #75
    March 2011
    136 Posts

Burial - Untrue (2007)
    9/10

Fantastic album. Dark, moody, ethereal and unlike anything else around. There are no particular standout tracks, you really do have to listen to the album in its entirety to fully appreciate it (preferably on a dark night whilst walking down an empty street bathed in the orange glow of streetlamps)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

2/10

One of the greatest rock albums ever. I love Dylan's lyrics and the way he sings them. I also have to give a lot of credit to the other guys playing all the instruments because they rock. My favourite song on the album has to be the closer, Desolation Row. Usually I hate like 10 minute songs that sound the same all the way through (never got the big deal about Sister Ray), but because of the strange lyrics I'm paying attention all the way through.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,772 Posts

Madvillain - Madvillainy 2: The Madlib Remix - 2008

B-

It's not much of a followup to "Madvillainy", because this is a remix of that album. However, it is cleanly done and I feel a lot less outlandish than the previous effort. This is not to say "Madvillainy 2" was better.. it's far from it. The first one was so vibrant and playful with it's representation of hip hop that it keeps me drawn in. This one however is more drawn out and easy-listening. The beats aren't as inspired and the usage of the raps aren't as well placed as before.

I personally think it should have been put aside as one of those "accompanyment" albums rather than an actual studio effort. If they actually wanted to do that, why not make up something entirely different instead of rehashing something great and then plonking something that is reminiscent of that spark right on top of it.

I do still like it, but I'm being as truthful as possible. It's not as addictive as the first, I would even go for the "Madvillainy Instrumentals" album than this one.

38. Post #78
    February 2011
    17,713 Posts

2/10

One of the greatest rock albums ever. I love Dylan's lyrics and the way he sings them. I also have to give a lot of credit to the other guys playing all the instruments because they rock. My favourite song on the album has to be the closer, Desolation Row. Usually I hate like 10 minute songs that sound the same all the way through (never got the big deal about Sister Ray), but because of the strange lyrics I'm paying attention all the way through.
    wait is that 2/10
    it doesnt sound like a 2/10 by your review
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,772 Posts

2/10

One of the greatest rock albums ever.
    Hmm. :raise:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #80
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,682 Posts

2/10

:crossarms:

Edited:

dammit akayz
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)