1. Post #1241
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,858 Posts

Almost enjoy it as much as I enjoy Pink Floyd, so certainly 8/10. I feel like a track or two are a little dry and don't hold my interest, as well composed as they are, but other than that it's really great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #1242
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    Yeah On An Island is the best Gilmour album by far imo. Very well recorded album.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #1243
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,858 Posts

7/10. I expected more, but it's a great concept album nonetheless; felt like it pulled off the intended atmosphere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #1244
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,029 Posts

Almost enjoy it as much as I enjoy Pink Floyd, so certainly 8/10. I feel like a track or two are a little dry and don't hold my interest, as well composed as they are, but other than that it's really great.
    You should get Live At Gdansk. Gilmour sounds better live than in studio in my opinion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

5. Post #1245
    August 2010
    1,447 Posts

9/10
    Just everything about it was great, the instrumentals are godlike, and the thing that got it so far in my charts is the vocals, fucking beautiful.

Edited:

It's also a shame Wilco hasn't made anything as near as good anytime soon..
    Check out some of Jim O'Rourks records. He's the producer, and mostly the reason why that album has the signature sound it does.

Edited:

Hello, I am hungover today and that makes this the best album ever for some reason
    10.0 BNM
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

6. Post #1246
    roar
    January 2008
    13,282 Posts
    Ufomammut - Godlike Snake

8/10
    Ufomammut has become one of my favourite bands, there just isn't any bad songs by them. This particular album is pretty raw, being one of their first. Great stuff though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

7. Post #1247
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    You downloaded 4 gigs of music at a time and didn't bother to hear it?

Have about 120 gigs on this harddrive and I can say it's almost all heard. :buddy:
    I'm not a fucking magician I can't listen to it all in one go
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

8. Post #1248
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts

Was interesting, not sure what to make of it

9. Post #1249
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts

Same, I've heard it twice and still can't make a constructive opinion.

10. Post #1250
    June 2011
    531 Posts
    Anal Cunt - It Only Gets Worse

Everything you'd expect from Anal Cunt in this obscure 'anti-music' album which has 40 or so bursts of random noise in one small package.

If you hate the noise, I recommend looking up the lyrics for a similar experience.

3/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

11. Post #1251
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    Anal Cunt - It Only Gets Worse

Everything you'd expect from Anal Cunt in this obscure 'anti-music' album which has 40 or so bursts of random noise in one small package.

If you hate the noise, I recommend looking up the lyrics for a similar experience.

3/10
    I thought you loved that album. :raise:

12. Post #1252
    June 2011
    531 Posts
    It's my favourite Anal Cunt album
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

13. Post #1253
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    It's worth at least an average rating. :3:

14. Post #1254
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    Same, I've heard it twice and still can't make a constructive opinion.
    Thanks for sharing bro :respek:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #1255
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts

I've seen that around, what is it? Like, stylistically
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events

16. Post #1256
    June 2011
    531 Posts
    Brutal Death Metal
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #1257
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    I've seen that around, what is it? Like, stylistically
    I have no idea, space rock?

18. Post #1258
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    I have no idea, space rock?
    Doesn't say much for me
    Is it like, clean guitars and whispering or is it more symphonic with lots of synths, or what?

19. Post #1259
    June 2011
    531 Posts
    It's gutteral growls over blast beats and tremelo picking. Lots of tempo changes and vile lyrical themes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

20. Post #1260
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    I can't describe it I've only heard it once vv

Edited:

It's gutteral growls over blast beats and tremelo picking. Lots of tempo changes and vile lyrical themes
    stfu
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #1261
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    Doesn't say much for me
    Is it like, clean guitars and whispering or is it more symphonic with lots of synths, or what?
    It's hard to describe. It's kind of ambient and "floaty" kind of music, but not shoegaze.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #1262
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
    It would be a lie to say I've heard a lot about this album. It's rarely discussed, at least on this board. But I think most people will recognize the album cover from the countless times it has been posted in threads with titles akin to "Best album ever", "Beautiful music thread" etc, here and on other boards. It seems to be the sort of thing you don't have to present, let alone discuss, because everyone has heard it, and everyone knows it brilliant.

This bothered me. I had never heard it, and neither did anyone I knew. It was actually recently that I found out the actual title of the album. Since nobody ever actually speaks of it I had no idea what to expect when I first listened to it. I figured it didn't matter, it was probably great.

I wasn't too impressed though. It makes use of pretty standard open chord progressions as far as I can tell, and the vocals, while strong and carry a lot of emotions, do not offer very original melodies. One thing I did enjoy was the other arrangements. The album incorporates many wind instruments like trumpet, trombone, saxophone and bagpipes, as well as organs, accordion and various percussion. This is why the instrumental track "Fool" was probably my favorite off the album.

It is possible though that a lot of the greatness of the album lies in the lyrics. I generally listen to music with instrumental focus, and so I'm not used to paying very much attention to the lyrics. I might enjoy it more if I did. For now though, this album gets a 6/10.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #1263
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    Magnetic Fields did Indie Folk better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #1264
    June 2011
    531 Posts
    You're forgetting Gorguts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

25. Post #1265
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    You're forgetting Gorguts
    You's trollllllin

26. Post #1266
    November 2010
    5 Posts

Coeur De Pirate is French-Canadian pop. All of the lyrics are in french so I didn't understand a word of it. She has an amazing voice and the piano that's in all of her tracks is so pretty. In a few of the songs she incorporates brass (trumpets, Trombones, etc.) which I really enjoyed. Ensemble is one of my favorite tracks because of that. The final track, C'etait Salement Romantique could have been better. I didn't really feel it, but lyrics might have helped, I dunno. Overall it's happy, upbeat, pop music. She has a beautiful voice, and I would recommend for people to check it out.

9/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #1267
    August 2010
    1,447 Posts
    spiritualized: gospel space age wall-of-feedback-core, with traces of heroin-gaze.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #1268
    May 2011
    1,651 Posts

Coeur De Pirate is French-Canadian pop. All of the lyrics are in french so I didn't understand a word of it. She has an amazing voice and the piano that's in all of her tracks is so pretty. In a few of the songs she incorporates brass (trumpets, Trombones, etc.) which I really enjoyed. Ensemble is one of my favorite tracks because of that. The final track, C'etait Salement Romantique could have been better. I didn't really feel it, but lyrics might have helped, I dunno. Overall it's happy, upbeat, pop music. She has a beautiful voice, and I would recommend for people to check it out.

9/10
    Ahhhh, one of my favourite albums of all time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

29. Post #1269
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    spiritualized: gospel space age wall-of-feedback-core, with traces of heroin-gaze.
    Just call it psychedelic ambientcore and move on
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #1270
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    6,803 Posts
    And also rock

EEEEEEEELECTRICITAAAAY
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Greece Show Events

31. Post #1271
    August 2010
    1,447 Posts
    I put a lot of thought into it, go away
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

32. Post #1272
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    Too much think, need more feel. :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #1273
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts

56/70

so yeah pretty good. they're sorta like the smiths or the go-betweens with a ton more feedback.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #1274
    roar
    January 2008
    13,282 Posts

56/70

so yeah pretty good. they're sorta like the smiths or the go-betweens with a ton more feedback.
    I prefer the scale 0-32874678
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #1275
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts
    Frank Zappa - The Best Band You've Never Heard In Your Life

2 stars

mostly boring jams. their covers are pretty cool tough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

36. Post #1276
    April 2011
    204 Posts

System of a Down - System of a Down (1998)

5/5

I'll always prefer the style they had on this album than the others
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

37. Post #1277
    July 2010
    1,347 Posts

SBTRKT - SBTRKT

9/10

One of my favorite albums of the year so far. Blew my expectations away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #1278
    August 2010
    1,447 Posts
    Too much think, need more feel. :smug:
    I was trying to capture the feeling of the music with my pseudo genres :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #1279
    PHD IN SUCKING DICK
    June 2008
    7,032 Posts

Midori - Hello Everyone. Nice To Meet You. We Are Midori.

This is what happens when you take crazy honky-tonk piano, a naked drummer, a contra-bass and a batshit insane yelling Japanese schoolgirl with a guitar.
    The songs mix noise rock, punk, and some 'cute singing' intermezzo's and blend them into a big sociopathic album, supported by overactive piano and walls of feedback.

10/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #1280
    ♩♪♫♬
    March 2009
    2,453 Posts

Shadows Collide With People - John Frusciante

By far his most polished work, and full of emotion as with everything he's done. 18 tracks that change, from electo-only songs, to guitar and back again without skipping a beat. Amazing.

10/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events