1. Post #1
    Frog Member
    February 2008
    2,495 Posts
    [h2]HOT SAUCE (need banner)[/h2]

Recent Changes:
    [list][*](4/10/11) Added section on mechanisms of action[*](4/9/11) Added more sauces to recommendations[/list]
    [release]"Why in the fuck do people like hot sauce?"

It has been long discussed why so many people enjoy putting themselves in pain and rendering their food difficult to eat. Scientifically, the reason is that the burning sensation caused by a certain chemical in spicy food tricks the brain into thinking that the body is in danger, and the body releases pleasure-causing chemicals to respond.

In general though, hot sauces add an extra degree of flavor and intensity to food that few other condiments can offer. The right combination of flavor and spiciness can create a wonderful balance in food that simply can't be matched. Plus, some people genuinely enjoy the sensation.[/release]

[release]"How does this oh-so magical fire liquid function?"

Glad you asked. The fruits of the plants in the "capsicum" genus, the genus in which all peppered plants are found, are loaded with a chemical called "capsaicin". Capsaicin triggers the same chemical receptor as high levels of heat do, causing what can quite literally be described as a burning sensation. Over time, exposure to capsaicin can give your receptors a better resistance to it, although some people are born with it as well.

Different capsicum plants contain different levels of capsaicin, with the weakest (bell peppers) containing none and the highest (bhut jolokia) containing a whole metric shit-load. The heat generated by capsaicin is measured in "Scoville units", in which substances are rated based on how much water it would take to dilute them completely ratio-wise. Scoville ratings are commonly given in ranges due to the differences in how people detect capsaicin. Here are the scoville ratings of some famous peppers:

0: Bell pepper
    100-500: Banana pepper
    500-2,500: Anaheim pepper, Poblano pepper
    2,500-8,000: Jalepeņo pepper, Tabasco Sauce
    10,000-23,000: Seranno Pepper
    30,000-50,000: Cayenne pepper, Tabasco pepper
    100,000-350,00: Habanero chili, Jamaican hot pepper
    855,000-1,359,000: Naga Jolokia pepper (ghost pepper)
    5,000,000: Police Pepper Spray (note: don't fuck with police)
    16,000,000: Pure Capsaicin (crystalline form)

Further Reading:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville
    [/release]

[release]Uses

Hot sauce is good on just about any kind of food, even breakfast items (especially anything with eggs).

In the Americas, it is commonly used as a condiment or spread to give already good food an extra kick. The food doesn't necessarily have to be bland, but it certainly helps food with little taste. In Asian countries, hot sauces are typically thick pastes used as dipping sauces or ingredients in stir-frying. Of course, these are just the origins of its use. People all over the world today use hot sauces in many varying ways.

Believe it or not, most hot sauces are not just intended to burn the shit out of your mouth. Some (such as ones mentioned later) can be quite flavorful. Although the spicy element of hot sauces is certainly appealing to many who enjoy them, the flavor is just as essential. As far as specific uses go, I would highly recommend dousing any Mexican cuisine in large varieties of hot sauce. As you get more experienced and pick out your favorite brands, you get a sense for what goes well together flavor-wise.[/release]

[release]Brands

The most famous brand of hot-sauce in the US would have to be Tabasco, which became the iconic hot sauce some time in the last 2 centuries

Of course, because just about everyone has encountered this sauce at some point, it tends to be a reference-point for every other kind. Although it's certainly versatile and delicious, by no means is it the hottest sauce out there.

Here are some brands you may encounter (enthusiast hot marked with *):
    [list][*]Tabasco (the classic, today there are many varieties)[*]Cholula (delicious tangy Mexican hot sauces)[*]Sriracha (Thai, popular among foul bachelors)[*]Frank's (Buffalo wing sauce, runs from vinegar to medium hot)[*]Dave's* (The original too-hot-to-eat brand, sells really hot shit)[*]Blair's* (Same sort of thing as Dave's)[/list]
    These are just some of my favorites, of course, there are many other brands available.[/release]

And there we have it. I leave you with a list of sauces I recommend, in order of heat level where the lowest is around 1,500 scovilles and the highest is around 530,000 scovilles:

[list][*]Frank's Red Hot (the original buffalo wing flavoring, like vinegar with a hint of spice; very-low heat)[*]Tabasco Chipotle (smoky; low heat)[*]Cholula (sweet and tangy; low-medium heat)[*]Tapatio (similar to cholula)[*]Sriracha (Thai paste sauce, amazing on anything; medium heat)[*]Franks Xtra Hot (like the original but considerably hotter; medium heat)[*]Tabasco (the classic hot sauce, very tangy; medium heat)[*]Blair's Death Sauce (salty, strong flavored; high-medium heat)[*]Tabasco Habenero (a short burst of intense heat and unique flavor; high heat)[*]Dave's Hurtin' Habenero (tangy but strong, burning; very-high heat)[*]Blair's After Death (running the gamut of topping edibility, burn lasts for fucking-ever; very-high heat)[*]Dave's Insanity Sauce (not a topping, use one drop at a time if you're new, garlic flavor if you can taste it; insane)[*]Dave's Ghost Pepper (do not fucking eat without dilution, will last for half-an-hour; insane++)[/list]
    Let's get some chillihead discussion going here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    June 2010
    53 Posts
    I really love Luziannes Tiger Sauce!

3. Post #3
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,372 Posts
    hot sauce does not agree with me :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    June 2010
    3,836 Posts
    [LIST][*]Dave's Insanity Sauce (not a topping, use one drop at a time if you're new; insane)[/LIST]

I smeared some of this on a samosa. I regret everything.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,034 Posts
    Currently eating Chipotle chips with their hottest salsa. Never really had it before, but boy is it good. Pretty spicy, though not overpowering, and a nice smoky flavor in the background.

6. Post #6
    August 2010
    1,836 Posts
    Crystal Hot Sauce >>>> Tabasco

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,715 Posts
    Franks is my go to hot sauce.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,514 Posts
    I absolutely love hot sauce.

Encona is my fave.

9. Post #9
    I wish I was as cool as Felix :)
    April 2010
    7,334 Posts
    I like Franks a lot. Got to buy the hotter version next time though.

10. Post #10
    Frog Member
    February 2008
    2,495 Posts
    Added some shit to the recommendation list and sorted it, recommend some sauces for me to try and I may add them too (currently trying to find Crystal)

Bump

11. Post #11
    April 2009
    212 Posts

this shit is good with everything

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,303 Posts
    Regular tabasco doesn't fit with everything, cause it tastes like vinegar. I really like the fruity flavor of tabasco habenero. Can someone recommend me another tasty sauce, but hotter than tabasco habenero?

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    619 Posts
    I use Tabasco Habenero for now. I use it for everything that I wish to make more hot.

14. Post #14
    I've been trying to become more tolerant to heat and spiciness lately.

When I had a cold a few weeks ago, I would dump some plain Tabasco sauce in the back of my throat to open up my nose and get the mucus flowing.

I think I'll do that again right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,870 Posts
    I can eat Tabasco with everything, Cholula is good stuff too.
    Dave's insanity sauce is hot stuff, but adding just a drop can give other sauces a great kick, too bad the taste of Dave's alone isn't that great.

16. Post #16
    Frog Member
    February 2008
    2,495 Posts
    Added section on mechanisms of action. Mad Chatter, you'll be happy to know that enough hot food will in-fact build up your resistance as you thought.

Bump.

Edited:

I can eat Tabasco with everything, Cholula is good stuff too.
    Dave's insanity sauce is hot stuff, but adding just a drop can give other sauces a great kick, too bad the taste of Dave's alone isn't that great.
    A drop of Dave's in a pot of pasta sauce goes a long way too, it adds an amazing kick without noticeably changing the flavor.

17. Post #17
    August 2010
    1,836 Posts
    Tried Frank's for the first time last week. VERY good. Not too hot though. Great on eggs & potatoes.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,834 Posts
    Original Cholula slathered all over a nice big slice of cheese pizza is so good.

Even better when you dip it in ranch.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,627 Posts
    I cook with Tabasco-style hot sauces because I enjoy vinegar, but I don't care for louisiana brand that much. It's fine in very small quantities, but it has this strange sweetness to it when it hits a hot surface and just burns up the nose. Taste fine, it just cooks differently compared to Crystal / Tabasco.

I enjoy mixing a little hot sauce in with creamy white sauces such as an Alfredo sauce to add some heat.

20. Post #20
    August 2010
    1,836 Posts
    Sriracha + Mayo is the best dipping sauce for french fries.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,077 Posts
    I have both Dave's Ghost Pepper and Blair's Mega Death and I can barely stand either. Still can't find a meal that can properly dilute them either. They are just so damn strong compared to the stuff I brought from Samoa.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    16,111 Posts
    tobasco is the worst hot sauce in existence, it tastes disgusting and has shit for heat. lousiana is probably one of the better tasting sauces out there, franks is good as well.

my personal fav for heat is the source

7.1 mil scoville
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    October 2010
    2,100 Posts

Spicy, but it doesn't linger, which i like. Some people don't like it because of that. If it's not that i get local stuff.

24. Post #24
    December 2009
    970 Posts
    I made a banner. If something needs to be changed tell me. Anyways i dont think i will visit this thread again so PM me about that.

25. Post #25
    December 2006
    18,372 Posts
    and just why did you do this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    December 2009
    970 Posts
    bored

27. Post #27
    December 2009
    1,370 Posts
    and just why did you do this?
    and just why did you post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    December 2006
    18,372 Posts
    because i was curious as to why someone would waste their time making a crappy (sorry!) banner for something that's not even remotely required.

and then there's the case of you, who felt the need to post *just* to ask me why i posted.

you're weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    December 2009
    1,370 Posts
    because i was curious as to why someone would waste their time making a crappy (sorry!) banner for something that's not even remotely required.

and then there's the case of you, who felt the need to post *just* to ask me why i posted.

you're weird.
    and then there's the case of you, who felt the need to post *just* to ask why he made the banner

you're weird
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    August 2010
    1,836 Posts
    You're all weird.
    Let's talk about hot sauce, OK?

Have you guys ever used liquid smoke before?
    If you mix it with some hot sauce, it's amazing.
    Adds a nice cooked-on-a-grill flavor to anything.

31. Post #31
    August 2010
    1,836 Posts

:lol:

Seriously WTF?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,386 Posts

yum

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,341 Posts

Kthx