1. Post #801
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    664 Posts
    Just went for a bike ride in a thunderstorm. So much fun.

Although, after being forced to commute on the Brompton due to train restrictions, I'm amazed at how fast it accelerates. 16in wheels at 100psi make for a spritely ride, it's great fun to hop onto a bike path and have the back wheel break out on you. The downside however, is it's crazy flexy. Pull on the bars to sprint and they're wobbling in your hands like jelly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

2. Post #802
    December 2008
    1,649 Posts
    are there any good trail sites that are free and can actually help you find parking to access trails?
    I would check your state's website. If it's any kind of decent then there should be a list of bike trails.

I went on a two-hour night ride with my friends starting about 9:40. There was 6 of us with 2 of us on mountain bikes, myself included on my Scott Scale Elite. I smoked my friends by about a minute at the end when they were racing by keeping myself paced and letting loose hard for the last mile or so when they were fatigued and coasting. My friend said I was steady at about 22mph I wouldn't know because I don't own a bike speedometer. It was an amazing night, and I rode flawlessly. As I'm biking to my truck, my friends are all staring at me, and one of them says "He's gonna crash..." probably because I went down a staircase. I made it to my Explorer and he says, "Nevermind, he made it to his truck." One second later, I failed to clip out properly and fell over onto the asphalt, scraping up my left knee.
    "BAAHAHHA" my friends all burst out laughing at once. After an amazing, pain-free 2-hour bike ride, I fell over hurt my pride more than anything.

Oh yeah, and as I'm falling, I made eye contact with these two women in their late 20's, sitting in their truck right beside mine. When I hit the ground I made a derp smile at them. The driver rolled down her window,
    "Are you okay?!"
    "Yeah I'm okay...my friends saw me though."
    "That's why I don't ride bikes!" *she drives away*

What a terrible reason not to bike hah.

I almost didn't bike tonight because I was fatigued from wakeboarding yesterday. I'm very glad that I went, and I know that I'm going to be feeling it tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #803
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,945 Posts
    Unspoken law: there will always be at least one attractive member of the opposite sex nearby if you fall off your bike in a stupid way.

The only times you manage to style it out or keep the bike upright there will be NO ONE around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #804
    Unspoken law: there will always be at least one attractive member of the opposite sex nearby if you fall off your bike in a stupid way.

The only times you manage to style it out or keep the bike upright there will be NO ONE around.
    What if you fall in marathon

Edited:

i keep falling at marathons near the finish

Edited:

really why the fuck there is always so much rocks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

5. Post #805
    I always fall down in the last leg of races too.
    There was once I was in a sweet second position, fell down meters from the finish and got 6th.

Man. Its like, someone up there doesn't want me to win.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events

6. Post #806
    Gold Apple
    December 2011
    4,967 Posts
    I went on a road ride on the Laguna Seca raceway, here is a photo of me and my friend's bike. I have the red Schwinn and he has the blue Motobecane

55910020 by Jacob A. Mann, on Flickr

my frame is so goddamn huge

7. Post #807
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    664 Posts
    Awesome! How fun was it bombing round the corkscrew?

8. Post #808
    December 2008
    1,649 Posts
    Do any of you guys listen to music when you ride?

9. Post #809
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,912 Posts
    I've never had one, but I'm sure they get you the nutrients you need based on who uses them. Go for it, if you can tolerate the taste of cardboard (from what I've heard).
    I've had three MREs in my life so far, and they're not bad at all. I like the meatballs and marinara, it tastes just like the supermarket brands out of cans. On top of that you get the nice extras. Most of them come with bread too, but just make sure you have enough liquids to go down with it because that stuff is dry.

Edited:

Right after I adjust my brakes it starts raining heavily. Looks like I won't be going down the bike path today.

10. Post #810

I do it when I commute. But when I go downhill I find it hard to concentrate on the trail with music in my ears. But my friends do it though.

11. Post #811
    December 2008
    1,649 Posts
    I do it when I commute. But when I go downhill I find it hard to concentrate on the trail with music in my ears. But my friends do it though.
    Yeah I just can't see myself being able to really focus while listening to something other than what I'm doing. Besides, I enjoy hearing nature when I bike.

12. Post #812
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    Just finished my longest distance today of 30 miles of biking to the city. too bad we have to stop so many times cause of my friends, but oh well! still great exercise! i'll be thin in no time lmao

13. Post #813
    December 2008
    1,649 Posts
    I'm doing 40 miles of mountain biking this weekend in one day, I'm excited :D.

I found a GPS journal of some guy that did a huge chunk of the trail I'll be riding:
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/182645

I'M SO PUMPED I'll probably over-prep for the ride and eat 20 sandwiches and shit all the way down the trail ohfuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

14. Post #814
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,043 Posts
    Not really, I'm commuting through parts of the city and it feels like it could be a potential danger not hearing cars approaching from outside your field of vision (city drivers are fuckheads sometimes, got hit once and the guy didn't even stop).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events

15. Post #815
    December 2008
    1,649 Posts
    Wow I discovered like the best local bike shop in my area. The guy gave me two brake pad shims for free when I asked if they had any, bled my brakes flawlessly, caught that my headset was loose and tightened it, and was overall a really nice guy. Also bought a little snack and a 29er tube. Total was $19.98. I showed up 1 hour before closing and I was out of there in less than 30 minutes.

Not really, I'm commuting through parts of the city and it feels like it could be a potential danger not hearing cars approaching from outside your field of vision (city drivers are fuckheads sometimes, got hit once and the guy didn't even stop).
    That's how I feel about it. I don't actually bike in traffic, except perhaps going from one trail to another via road sometimes, and it just seems like a terrible idea. Biking with friends I can totally see us not hearing one another two and getting separated too. It's like when I see people driving with earbuds in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #816
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    Anyone have any suggestions for a cheap hybrid? I just finished mapping out my schedule for classes next semester, and I'm going to need a bike since I dumped everything too close together.

I don't have enough money to spend too much over $250, but I'd need something relatively light. Obviously, I could list all my desires, but as long as I get something solid for the price, I'll be happy.

Any suggestions? Alternatively, any sites/shops I could look at? I'd just use amazon, but I figure I'd be able to get a better deal off of a dedicated bike site.

17. Post #817
    December 2008
    1,649 Posts
    Try going to your local bike shop to get an idea of what you can afford.

18. Post #818
    Fuck my life my back wheel hubs broke and i have no money atm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

19. Post #819
    And wheel hubs are expensive as fuck because they are made like that. Super solid and stuff.

20. Post #820
    I pretty much always do, it makes me feel like I'm some kind of bike action movie

But the times I forget my iPod I do enjoy the silence and the nature and the click click click of my bike
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #821
    I listen to audiobooks
    I almost finished listening to hunger games

22. Post #822
    December 2008
    1,649 Posts
    I listen to audiobooks
    I almost finished listening to hunger games
    That wouldn't go with downhilling very well lmao. And how did your rear hub break? What's wrong with it? I didn't think that was a part that would easily fail.

23. Post #823
    That wouldn't go with downhilling very well lmao. And how did your rear hub break? What's wrong with it? I didn't think that was a part that would easily fail.
    I was riding uphill when suddenly the bike start going to wrong directions. I stopped and i saw that my hub is teared apart. I don't even know how this is possible.

24. Post #824
    December 2008
    1,649 Posts
    I was riding uphill when suddenly the bike start going to wrong directions. I stopped and i saw that my hub is teared apart. I don't even know how this is possible.
    That gives me a sick feeling just thinking about it...I hope you have a bike shop that's affordable, or a warranty that's still good. What kind of bike is this?

25. Post #825
    That gives me a sick feeling just thinking about it...I hope you have a bike shop that's affordable, or a warranty that's still good. What kind of bike is this?
    My bike was this

And i need to check if warranty still applies. IT's been over the year now since i bought it from the bike shop.

26. Post #826
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,043 Posts
    Shit man, that blows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events

27. Post #827
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,430 Posts
    Hello all, I'm most likely going to start posting in this more often due to getting a bike a commuting to work.

Question. What are some good shoes to use while commuting to work? I don't have a road bike yet but sticking with a Specialized mountain bike.

28. Post #828
    Hello all, I'm most likely going to start posting in this more often due to getting a bike a commuting to work.

Question. What are some good shoes to use while commuting to work? I don't have a road bike yet but sticking with a Specialized mountain bike.
    See northwave boots, they are pretty good

You have to buy other details then though

29. Post #829
    December 2008
    1,649 Posts
    Just patched my rear tire and fixed my remote pop-loc on my Reba fork. Tomorrow is going to be quite a day (getting up at 6AM and doing most of that 37-mile trail). If I fall off of a bluff and get paralyzed, I love all of you.

Ended up doing about 9 miles of mountain biking, that trail whooped our ass lol shut up. Two of our guys went empty on water and I had about 1.5L left when we got back to the truck. It was some really intense uphill/downhill with occasional really nice flowy singletrack. We got started about 10AM because the drive was 2+ hours away. It was cool for the start of the day and things quickly got up to the usual deathly temperatures accompanied by humidity that's common to Arkansas. My bike did wonderfully though and we all had a really good time, even if we didn't get near our goal which was apparently unrealistic with how prepared we were. Next time we'll bring a water filter for resupplying, and actual backpacks with more than one sandwich...then we can stay out longer and cover more of the trail.z

I had a not so bad fall that re-opened up a scrape and my friend I would say more than clipped a small tree and went flying:

30. Post #830
    So do you guys have any inspiration? Like a video or a rider that makes you pumped and go faster than usual.

There are a few youtube videos that gets me really pumped and I tend to hit jumps faster than a kangaroo with jet wings, this for an example.

Damn, I've always wanted to go to a proper huge bike park like whistler. Can't wait to shred the trails of Queenstown, NZ next year. That would be my first ever 'big' bike park.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

31. Post #831
    December 2008
    1,649 Posts
    This one is pretty damn insane:
    [URL]

At one point in the video there's a checkpoint with a speed reading of 35mph. The way he does it it basically looks like he just skips over everything and pretends it isn't there haha.

32. Post #832
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    664 Posts
    Fuck yeah, got a ticket for the Womens Mountain Biking for the olympics this weekend.

33. Post #833
    Nice, when does the bmx start? That looks like a interesting event to watch too.

34. Post #834
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    Never lend your bike to your sister, mine fell of it twice and damaged the rear dérailleur enough so it snapped when I tried to change gear!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #835
    December 2008
    1,649 Posts
    Make her PAY.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #836
    Ouch. Hey, at least depending on what you use derailleurs are not very expensive.

Edited:

Also, I hate derailleurs with super long cage. They just break too easily.

37. Post #837
    Just another VPS Pollutant of the Web Dev Forum
    July 2010
    237 Posts
    Just got my new road bike built up!! :D

38. Post #838
    December 2008
    1,649 Posts
    sexyfine

39. Post #839
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,945 Posts
    Took my OTS out for a ride again after getting back from holiday.

Getting used to friction shifters and a narrower, lower, more aggressive stance is hard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

40. Post #840
    Yess. 2 weeks left before I can go DH again.

I totally need to bleed my brakes and get a chainlube. My brake aren't as efficient as before and my chain has less lube than a pre-lubricated condom.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)