1. Post #841
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,949 Posts
    That's another thing, need to take something abrasive to my rear calipers to get the top layer off. The guy I bought it off, in his infinite wisdom, cleaned the bike by rubbing the whole thing down with diesel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #842
    That's another thing, need to take something abrasive to my rear calipers to get the top layer off. The guy I bought it off, in his infinite wisdom, cleaned the bike by rubbing the whole thing down with diesel.
    Wait. Diesel. What?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events

3. Post #843
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,949 Posts
    Works as a release agent. Soak a rag with it and it'll cut through any grime. It'll also ruin rubber brake pads.

4. Post #844
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

5. Post #845
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,949 Posts
    Kinda looks like you've just unscrewed the seal on the bearings. try taking a spanner to it and seeing if you can tighten it up again.

Not sure though, photos are p.blurry.

6. Post #846
    Spanner doesn't tighten it up. I tried it.
    Also, what should i know before buying a new hub? How to check if its good or bad?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

7. Post #847
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,949 Posts
    It might be cheaper just to buy a whole new wheel if you don't want to reassemble the whole thing. Building a wheel up from the hub is a lot more difficult than just threading spokes through and tightening them up.

8. Post #848
    March 2011
    639 Posts
    So what do you guys do about pinch flats? I got a really nasty one yesterday off a small jump.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #849
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    So what do you guys do about pinch flats? I got a really nasty one yesterday off a small jump.
    Never had one, are your tires up to pressure?

Took some photos at the olympics - http://imgur.com/a/L2IwK
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #850
    March 2011
    639 Posts
    Never had one, are your tires up to pressure?

Took some photos at the olympics - http://imgur.com/a/L2IwK
    Hmm, i can't remember what they were at, i'll try pumping them up more next time, and those are very cool pictures, I missed mountain biking on tv.

11. Post #851
    --
    August 2009
    2,034 Posts

Not my picture by the way

I bought this bike a while back.

It's a pretty nice bike and hasn't failed me yet. I was riding along the road the other day as you do, head down but still paying attention to vehicles and such. I over took a car on a flat and smiled to myself only to meet them again at the traffic lights, then look round and see an L plate on their car and what I guess was an instructor by their side. Then look at the floor and see a speed limit of 20. To think I was so impressed.

Resurfaced roads are such a pleasure to ride on, beats the horrible pot hole filled roads that used to be around.

12. Post #852
    Looks sexy.

Damn, just 3 more days before I can start riding again but for some reason my break efficiency dropped to about 40% and sand from my last ride is stuck on my chain and gears and I need to lube it.

I'm too damn lazy to go to my bike shop and get some chain lube so will some wd40 work?

13. Post #853
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,949 Posts
    In France right now and there was a commotion going on outside the place we're staying. Went to the veranda and the Tour du Limousin was going right past our doorstep.

Edited:

Looks sexy.

Damn, just 3 more days before I can start riding again but for some reason my break efficiency dropped to about 40% and sand from my last ride is stuck on my chain and gears and I need to lube it.

I'm too damn lazy to go to my bike shop and get some chain lube so will some wd40 work?
    WD40 is not lube, it's a release agent. It'll get the sand off sure but it'll also degrease the chain. If you use WD40 on the chain make sure to re-oil it.

14. Post #854
    In France right now and there was a commotion going on outside the place we're staying. Went to the veranda and the Tour du Limousin was going right past our doorstep.

Edited:

WD40 is not lube, it's a release agent. It'll get the sand off sure but it'll also degrease the chain. If you use WD40 on the chain make sure to re-oil it.
    Alright then. I'll try to get lube if I have time tomorrow.

15. Post #855
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    Furthermore, anyone who uses WD-40 on a bike; Bad idea. It you spray it and it gets in your seals it rots them. Bye bye seals. Use a proper PTFE lube instead.

16. Post #856
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,949 Posts
    Furthermore, anyone who uses WD-40 on a bike; Bad idea. It you spray it and it gets in your seals it rots them. Bye bye seals. Use a proper PTFE lube instead.
    I wouldn't write it off completely, just be careful with it. I still use it to clean parts before regreasing them (that being said I should probably invest in a sealed BB already).

Been on holiday for a while and my cycling callouses have gone down. Soon as I'm back home I'm gonna try and find some interesting rides in my area.

17. Post #857
    Still haven't got the time to go around and get some chain lube cause I'm outta town.

Now my chain has more dust than sand.

Can't wait to get back and get rockin.
    And get me some new gloves too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Malaysia Show Events

18. Post #858
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,056 Posts
    So I recently tried my dad's recently acquired MTB in the forest around where I live, and it was fucking great riding around the narrow trails tread up by deer and dog-walkers. Something about violently pushing through bushes and across roots, and dodging rocks and trees is very exhilarating. One thing led to another and I currently have my own (bit cheaper, more basic) MTB en-route from ChainReaction.com. Will post pics as soon as I can.

Don't think I would've gotten around trying if it wasn't for this thread (and the pics/videos posted here)!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #859
    January 2008
    281 Posts
    Hey guys, I've never fully been into cycling (i.e. stuff you guys are talking about is going way past my head) but I usually commute to Uni on a bike. The bike is a piece of shit 100 hybrid that takes far too much energy to use especially up hills.

I've been looking at getting a road bike as I want to start riding everywhere to stay fit and have fun. I have no clue what to be looking for when buying one but here's some things I need help with.

Frame Size: I'm 6ft, what size frame should I be looking at?
    Price: I don't want to spend too much on the bike but will spend up to 300, will I get a good enough bike?
    Other: I'm probably looking at the wrong things for a bike, please let me know.

I've been looking on Halfords and saw two that picked my interest, one is a Viking and the other is a Carrera.

Viking - 219.99 - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_165710#tab2

Carrera - 329.99 - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...k&iozone=PLPz1

Are they any good? Worth paying the extra 100 or should I just get a Viking?

20. Post #860
    Hey guys, I've never fully been into cycling (i.e. stuff you guys are talking about is going way past my head) but I usually commute to Uni on a bike. The bike is a piece of shit 100 hybrid that takes far too much energy to use especially up hills.

I've been looking at getting a road bike as I want to start riding everywhere to stay fit and have fun. I have no clue what to be looking for when buying one but here's some things I need help with.

Frame Size: I'm 6ft, what size frame should I be looking at?
    Price: I don't want to spend too much on the bike but will spend up to 300, will I get a good enough bike?
    Other: I'm probably looking at the wrong things for a bike, please let me know.

I've been looking on Halfords and saw two that picked my interest, one is a Viking and the other is a Carrera.

Viking - 219.99 - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_165710#tab2

Carrera - 329.99 - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...k&iozone=PLPz1

Are they any good? Worth paying the extra 100 or should I just get a Viking?

The Carerra has better parts and and its weight is much lighter but Im not sure if its worth the price. I think Large size should fit you well. AFAIK, Large size are exactly made for 6ft and above.

Edited:

Try looking at used bikes. I've seen some with much better parts for about 300.00.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #861
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,949 Posts
    Get an old tenspeed.

If you're 6' anything from 54-58cm will be fine. It's generally better to buy a smaller frame and have loads of seatpost on show, as a smaller frame would weigh less. Check the length of the top tube as well. Some bicycles are geared up to be more town-bike style and have a shorter top tube, meaning you sit more upright and your arms will be in the wrong position if you want to get aerodynamic when cycling in to the wind.

22. Post #862
    NEO 卐 NAZI HERO <3
    September 2009
    3,918 Posts
    Specialized Allez

Good to go

Y/N?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #863

February 2010
    2,452 Posts
    i think for the price of the allez (550) you can do better, to me a entry level road bike should have 2012 tiagra and 10 spd or you might as well buy a cheaper hybrid

24. Post #864
    NEO 卐 NAZI HERO <3
    September 2009
    3,918 Posts
    I'm thinking more of buying a second hand higher end Allez from last year or the year before

Plus, its a roadbike, not a hybrid, already got a specialized stumpjumper hardtail as a hybrid sort of

it p sweet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #865
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    So I recently tried my dad's recently acquired MTB in the forest around where I live, and it was fucking great riding around the narrow trails tread up by deer and dog-walkers. Something about violently pushing through bushes and across roots, and dodging rocks and trees is very exhilarating. One thing led to another and I currently have my own (bit cheaper, more basic) MTB en-route from ChainReaction.com. Will post pics as soon as I can.

Don't think I would've gotten around trying if it wasn't for this thread (and the pics/videos posted here)!
    Welcome to Mountain Biking. We all hope you catch the bug because our sport is great fun :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #866
    Looking at the pictures and videos. Crankworx Whistler looks really damn fun.
    I wish I was there, even just to spectate would be awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #867
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    One of my friends just got back from Whistler - said it was the best place in the world.

28. Post #868
    Went to
    http://www.turnerbikes.com/
    Ok.

What the fuck is happening in here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #869
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    And that's what happens when 12 year old's make websites!

[SUB]Edited:[/SUB]
    OH GOD LOOK AT THE COMIC SANS!

30. Post #870
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,056 Posts
    Fuck. Yes. Here it is:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events

31. Post #871
    Fuck. Yes. Here it is:

sexy as hell
    white seat is a bit odd though

32. Post #872
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    It looks nice - and it looks upgradable for the future too (disk brake calliper mounts on both wheels, etc) When you get a little more confident it might be worth buying some SPD's for it and you'll find that riding off road is even more fun because pedalling suddenly becomes less strenuous.

33. Post #873
    it is absolutely infuriating when you're looking at reviews for bikes, and it's a cheap bike so under 400, and you get absolute idiots going "I WOULDN'T EVEN TOUCH A BIKE THAT WAS SELLING FOR UNDER 500, AT LEAST 500 OR STAY AT HOME"

fuck off, some of us don't have expendable income but want to cycle

34. Post #874
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,949 Posts
    My touring bike cost me 25 lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #875
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    it is absolutely infuriating when you're looking at reviews for bikes, and it's a cheap bike so under 400, and you get absolute idiots going "I WOULDN'T EVEN TOUCH A BIKE THAT WAS SELLING FOR UNDER 500, AT LEAST 500 OR STAY AT HOME"

fuck off, some of us don't have expendable income but want to cycle
    Some people are just elitist, I almost got sucked into it once when I bought my bike. It's so easy but so arseholish.

36. Post #876
    Pretty much why I consulted the local community when I got my first XC bike.

Got me an almost cheapo Trek 4500. The build quality is damn good (except for the derailleur).

37. Post #877

August 2012
    47 Posts
    help im weak how do i get up hills easily without my puny legs snapping in half

Edited:

like ive got gears on the right and then unnamed switchey thingy on the left and i have no clue what im doing

38. Post #878
    Low gear.

Paddle in a circular motion?

39. Post #879

August 2012
    47 Posts
    low gear is ez pedal or hard pedal

40. Post #880
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,056 Posts
    white seat is a bit odd though
    It's brown now

AKA I just got back from my first "muddy hell" forest run! We were a group of 4, dad and his two mates, in the forest tracks that I would normally consider challenging to even walk along. Now I consider myself fairly tuned in terms of stamina and muscle because of my 18 miles university commute but Jesus H. Christ this was the most exhausting thing I've done in a long time. Rather than the relatively short run I did when I was testing this out we went through rocks, roots, bogs, fallen trees and some rain for probably 2 hours. Roots and rock surfaces got slippery as shit. Riding felt pretty dangerous towards the end because I lost touch more and more and got worse at picking lines and handling obstacles. Came out covered in mud and exhausted to the point of being light-headed, but pretty happy all things considered. Hosed my bike (and myself) properly and oiled the chain afterwards. I suppose I could've done with a softer start, but I learned the following:

1. Tighten the goddamned quick-locks. I completely forgot how easily screws come undone on factory-fresh bicycles and I ended up with the rear wheel coming slightly lose right in a massive pool of mud. I freaked out at first thinking I had broken something.
    2. Don't wear a fucking jacket, at least not a normal raincoat-like thing. It seemed like a good idea at the time but I ended up just tying it around my shoulders because I just got so warm regardless of the rain. Maybe some proper cycling attire is worth looking into, I just went in a pair of cut-off jeans and a t-shirt.
    3. Get a bottle holder. I didn't bring any water myself and it sucked
    4. Get better pedals, preferably metal ones with studs. My MTB didn't actually come with pedals (read fine-print?) so I had to use a left-over pair of plastic ones. Worked decently but I found myself slipping of at a few critical situations.

Phew! Would've taken pictures but I don't have a camera/phone quite tough enough. Not sure when the next time's gonna be, preferably I'll pick a day when the grounds have dried up properly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events