1. Post #361
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    what psi do you road bike uses keep your tyres at? i just inflated mine close to there rated 115psi and the ride is now horrible
    Probably 110 ish on a 100psi, I do it by feel/ no gage on my pump, but when I check it other places I'm in that range.
    You gotta find the smooth parts of the road, you're already ahead of the game with a steel frame which rides a lot better than the stiffer tubing out there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

2. Post #362

February 2010
    2,460 Posts
    do you think this chain is a bit saggy? im sure it wasnt like that before yeterday when i repaired a puncture but i dont see how it could have been different as there is hardly any space left on the dropout, i guess it doesnt matter so much i phoned the place i bought it from and booked it in for the free service they give bikes they sell so they should correct any issues, also gonna replace the 16t freewheel with a 13t

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #363
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    do you think this chain is a bit saggy?
    Yeah, you can throw that chain easily. You may need to take out a link if you can, doesn't look like you have too much space to work with between the frame/wheel either, but you'll find pulling it back a little will go a long ways. If you get a smaller freewheel you'll deff be taking out a links.

Here's a video I ran across the other day while trying to research a hub, does a great job of explaining proper chain tension.

4. Post #364
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    OH GOD WHY AM I LUSTING OVER A BROMPTON SO MUCH?

Practical transport, something I can take on a train easily, something I can fold up within 15 seconds and throw it in the office instead of worrying about it getting stolen... EVERYTHING IS TELLING ME TO GET ONE.

Perhaps I will.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

5. Post #365
    January 2010
    352 Posts
    do you think this chain is a bit saggy? im sure it wasnt like that before yeterday when i repaired a puncture but i dont see how it could have been different as there is hardly any space left on the dropout, i guess it doesnt matter so much i phoned the place i bought it from and booked it in for the free service they give bikes they sell so they should correct any issues, also gonna replace the 16t freewheel with a 13t

What you can do is spin the wheel, pick it up and hold it so the drivetrain is on the top of the bike. If it makes a rattling sound like the chain is about to fall off then tighten it up a smidgen.
    But looking at the picture it is a bit on the loose side.

Edited:

what psi do you road bike uses keep your tyres at? i just inflated mine close to there rated 115psi and the ride is now horrible
    How much do you weigh and what is the max psi on your tyre? You can find it on your side wall.

I'm on the heavy side +95kg and run 110 psi on the rear and 100 on the front.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

6. Post #366

February 2010
    2,460 Posts
    max is 125psi, not really sure about my weight maybe ~70kg

i sorted the chain last night, i only had to move the wheel a tiny amount. i just rode about 15km up some pretty hilly roads (stoping half way for a icecream and coke) i dont think i will bother with the 13t free wheel 42/16 is hard enough on the with the hills in my area

7. Post #367
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    the max recommended pressure on my tires is 90 (they're 700x25cc)

but I usually put the front at 100 or so and the rear at 90-95. any higher than that, and it's too bumpy unless the road has just been repaved and is really smooth
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #368
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    Sod it. I just bought a 3 speed Brompton.

Black, S-Type bars (straight bars), better chain, Schwalbe Kojak tires, Ergon GC-2 grips, lights, White BMX Brake levers (better pull than stock brakes), Fizik saddle and a solid Sturney-Archer shifter, as opposed to the plastic Brompton one.

It was a little pricey, but it's clean, they're well built bikes with solid warranty and ridiculously fun to ride.

I'm selling my hybrid and commuting on that now, I think I'm going mad.

9. Post #369
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    Welp, turns out the seller doesn't understand how business works.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #370
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,841 Posts
    I always laugh at people commuting on mountain bikes, and that's when I realized, shit, I do too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #371
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    5,348 Posts
    Bleh, wanna start riding my bike again.
    Gotta search through my 100 degrees + attic .

12. Post #372
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,841 Posts
    Bleh, wanna start riding my bike again.
    Gotta search through my 100 degrees + attic .
    How, pray tell, do you get a bike in the attic?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #373

February 2010
    2,460 Posts
    just got back from a 60+ mile ride with a local cycling club, think i might attend regulary and start looking at 2011 road racing bikes rather than single speed, i rode my langster today and i could keep up but i got filthy as did the bike, im also not going to try and fit mudguards as that would look retarded

14. Post #374
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    How, pray tell, do you get a bike in the attic?
    take off wheels, carry wheels and frame up separately. Really not difficult.

15. Post #375
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    5,348 Posts
    Didn't need to do that. The entrance is big enough to just carry it up.
    Found it though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

16. Post #376

February 2010
    2,460 Posts
    whats with noone making steel frame road racing bikes any more? apart from one bike all i could find today was aluminium junk or overpriced carbon

17. Post #377
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    4,316 Posts
    OH GOD WHY AM I LUSTING OVER A BROMPTON SO MUCH?

Practical transport, something I can take on a train easily, something I can fold up within 15 seconds and throw it in the office instead of worrying about it getting stolen... EVERYTHING IS TELLING ME TO GET ONE.

Perhaps I will.
    you're also supporting british engineering.

downside - you look like a bit of a berk riding one

18. Post #378

February 2010
    2,460 Posts
    you think i am being a bit picky wanting a steel frame? i can get a full shimano 105 spec aluminium bike for <1000 but it would cost 1300 for a steel frame with 105 and be heavier

19. Post #379
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    you think i am being a bit picky wanting a steel frame? i can get a full shimano 105 spec aluminium bike for <1000 but it would cost 1300 for a steel frame with 105 and be heavier
    Steel is the only way to go. They still make em, most are either custom made, or are remakes of classics and stuff like that, although, the remakes have nothing on the actual classics.
    I bought a steel remake by Bianchi (track bike) recently, I understand it's a remake, but can't drop the cash now for a nicely built classic. Someday.
    I have a older steel Motobecane road bike that I got for free, did some work on it, brought it back to life, then destroyed it. Need new wheels now.

So, if you want something new, I'd advise you find a company that's been around a while, and see if they have anything like that in the style you want.

20. Post #380
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,256 Posts
    Oh yay a bike thread! I should explore facepunch more often.

to get started,
    my bikes:
    Santa Cruz Blur LT 2005

mine is grey and has front and rear fox shox, and hope hydraulic brakes. I don't have clipless petals on there now, because I mostly do downhill and I don't really like being clipped in. i also have chris king headset and hubs.

Nishiki Cascade 198X

(as seen at the 2011 sea otter classic!) I love this bike. Its my 'nobody's gonna steal that' bike. I got it for free from a guy in my town. Its super clean and 100% stock. The brakes are shit but the shifting ain't half bad, so I use it for getting around the valley.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #381
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    I knew someone was gonna come in with a Blur and make me envious.

They are the most beautiful bikes in the entire world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #382
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,256 Posts
    thanks!

its a hand-me-down from my dad who got himself a fancy carbon fiber felt.

I really love my blur. And I have to ride it, because I got to represent were I live and was raised!

23. Post #383
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    you're also supporting british engineering.

downside - you look like a bit of a berk riding one
    I look like a berk anyway.

Just found a black 2009 6 speed m type, with a bag, and all sorts of stuff for 400 local. Considering buying it, slapping ergon grips on, a white saddle, white brake levers and some chequering on the mudguards.

SKA BIKE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #384
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    you look like karl pilkington

25. Post #385
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    Alright, so the other one sold, getting a 3 speed at 8am tomorrow. Aw yeah.

26. Post #386
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    Santa Cruz Blur LT 2005
    nice dude! How much travel? I own the Heckler, kinda the same, I forget the year on it.

That's the actual bike
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #387
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,443 Posts
    nice dude! How much travel? I own the Heckler, kinda the same, I forget the year on it.

That's the actual bike
    I can't handle all this want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

28. Post #388

February 2010
    2,460 Posts
    i think i will get this bike http://www.bianchi.com/Uk/Bikes/Bike...IDMaster=51344 , its not worth paying more or compromising and getting a lower spec just to have one of the few steel road frames still made

29. Post #389
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    25 mph on a Brompton is both awesome and scary as fuck.

I love it.

30. Post #390

February 2010
    2,460 Posts
    i think im going to end up with a miche supertype seatpost and cinelli unicanitor saddle i dont need, anyone want to buy them? the seatpost is 27.2mm and both are unused

31. Post #391
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    i think im going to end up with a miche supertype seatpost and cinelli unicanitor saddle i dont need, anyone want to buy them? the seatpost is 27.2mm and both are unused
    What color is the saddle?

32. Post #392

February 2010
    2,460 Posts
    What color is the saddle?
    white

heres what my bike looks like with the supertype post and a specialized romin saddle, reason im going to end up with two post and a saddle i dont need is the ones i originally ordered didnt turn up and when i asked for my money back the etailer said they would send the items again, i cant be bothered arguing with them even though i went out and bought the post and another saddle locally

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #393
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,019 Posts
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+Folding.aspx
    Just picked up a set of these for my bike. They look like a good compromise between speed and grip.

34. Post #394

February 2010
    2,460 Posts
    any knobbles even groves equals higher rolling resistance id suggest either a tyre like contis gatorskin on one with minimal grove pattern, if your road riding though you might as well fit slicks even a mediocre tyre like Specialized mondo 700x23 provides enough grip on wet and muddy country lanes

35. Post #395
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    I think the space heads among us will enjoy this video, if you haven't already seen it.

The world championships 2011,   he won by just under 12 seconds which quite frankly is incredible... Let alone     in the wet!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #396
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,019 Posts
    any knobbles even groves equals higher rolling resistance id suggest either a tyre like contis gatorskin on one with minimal grove pattern, if your road riding though you might as well fit slicks even a mediocre tyre like Specialized mondo 700x23 provides enough grip on wet and muddy country lanes
    I just want a tire that will work for the little road riding I do. But since I mostly am off road I got those. Also they are dirt cheap and I save money because I won't have to replace my tubes.

37. Post #397
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    Thinking about changing my bullhorns to drops
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #398
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    Thinking about changing my bullhorns to drops
    Doit.

edit:
    what do you ride?
    edit edit:
    went back and found it, doit.

39. Post #399

February 2010
    2,460 Posts
    these bikes look interesting http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pu/roa.../bikebuilder/1 not a fancy italian name on the frame but the the same price or less i can spec a higher level groupset as say a bianch or pinarello

40. Post #400
    March 2010
    7,896 Posts
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a new bike soon. If I did, I probably wouldn't use it for more than a couple miles at a time, mostly for cycling to school which is about 2 miles away, and maybe to friends' houses if it's close enough. What kind of bike would I want? Would a road bike or hybrid be better? I've really only used mountain bikes, so I'm more used to the upright position in hybrids. Also I would prefer if it had some kind of rack or something similar to put bags and such in.