1. Post #401
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,459 Posts
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a new bike soon. If I did, I probably wouldn't use it for more than a couple miles at a time, mostly for cycling to school which is about 2 miles away, and maybe to friends' houses if it's close enough. What kind of bike would I want? Would a road bike or hybrid be better? I've really only used mountain bikes, so I'm more used to the upright position in hybrids. Also I would prefer if it had some kind of rack or something similar to put bags and such in.
    budget?
    do you need a 26 inch or what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

2. Post #402
    March 2010
    7,896 Posts
    I'm still a while away so I don't really have a budget in mind, I guess under $300? I'm kinda looking at touring bikes, can you get them at that price? Also, I live in Minnesota so I have to deal with snowy winters. I could always save up for a little.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #403
    February 2011
    5,459 Posts
    I'm still a while away so I don't really have a budget in mind, I guess under $300? I'm kinda looking at touring bikes, can you get them at that price? Also, I live in Minnesota so I have to deal with snowy winters. I could always save up for a little.
    Well, I dunno much, since Minnesota, then you might invest in snow tires or something too.

4. Post #404
    March 2010
    7,896 Posts
    Yeah I will. The budget can change since I really have no frame of reference though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #405
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    665 Posts
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a new bike soon. If I did, I probably wouldn't use it for more than a couple miles at a time, mostly for cycling to school which is about 2 miles away, and maybe to friends' houses if it's close enough. What kind of bike would I want? Would a road bike or hybrid be better? I've really only used mountain bikes, so I'm more used to the upright position in hybrids. Also I would prefer if it had some kind of rack or something similar to put bags and such in.
    If you're not doing longer distances and aren't fussed about speed, perhaps look in to a dutch style bike. They're usually pretty cheap, simple to maintain and very good for cargo capacity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

6. Post #406
    March 2010
    7,896 Posts
    Thanks I'll have a look into it.
    Do you have any examples of some good ones?

7. Post #407
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    665 Posts
    Thanks I'll have a look into it.
    Do you have any examples of some good ones?
    In all honesty, I don't know that much about brands/models, or if they're available stateside (although you could get something like a cruiser style bike with a rack instead)

Most dutch bikes usually have the following -

single speed or 3 speed hub
    rear rack
    dynamo powered lights
    fenders
    swept back "club racer" style bars

They're not the sportiest looking bikes, far from it. But they're solid, dependable transportation with all the features you'll ever need, and if you're riding under 10 miles at a time they're more than adequate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

8. Post #408
    February 2011
    5,459 Posts
    Similar to a stingray? So you mean one of the Schwinn cruiser type of bike?

9. Post #409
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    -snip-

Late post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #410

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    Similar to a stingray? So you mean one of the Schwinn cruiser type of bike?
    the bike that comes to mind to me is a pashley Roadster Sovereign
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #411
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,019 Posts

12. Post #412
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    In that price range, your best bet would be looking for a used bike... Otherwise you'll have some lead weight on wheels.
    Check craigslist or whatever you use, see if you like anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

13. Post #413

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    how often do you regrease your bb? after a recent 60mile ride on my singlespeed where it got very dirty i noticed the headset was really gritty, the shop sorted that but while cleaning/reoiling the chain i noticed the bb sounds and feels like its full of crap as well surely that shouldnt happen over such a short period of time even if the bike doesnt have mudguards and gets dirty.

14. Post #414
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,019 Posts
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+Folding.aspx
    I just put a pair of these on bike and I have to say, for somebody who wants a tire that does well both on road and off they are pretty good.

15. Post #415

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    cant wait to get a proper road bike, rode 50 miles today on my singlespeed and now its covered in bitumen from riding on a freshly resurfaced road also the relatively high gearing makes my right knee feel like its going to explode when climbing, with the mone im going to have available though i should be able to get a really nice spec bike, i could skimp a bit and get alu frame campagnolo centaur for ~700 or spend about 1000 for the same groupset on a 1kg carbon frame

16. Post #416
    January 2010
    351 Posts
    cant wait to get a proper road bike, rode 50 miles today on my singlespeed and now its covered in bitumen from riding on a freshly resurfaced road also the relatively high gearing makes my right knee feel like its going to explode when climbing, with the mone im going to have available though i should be able to get a really nice spec bike, i could skimp a bit and get alu frame campagnolo centaur for ~700 or spend about 1000 for the same groupset on a 1kg carbon frame
    Your knee wanting to explode is a set up issue. Your thighs should be the ones that feel like exploding.
    If you've never tried the different groupsets (Shimano, Campy, Sram) then I'd advise you go out and test ride them.
    They're all different in shifting mechanism and general feel. Campy has a very clunky feel to it, and a really loud freewheel. However, the shifters are easily serviceable as parts are readily available.

Shimano is generally fairly quiet. Personally it fitted me very well so I chose that. The downside is the shifter is not easily serviceable, and usually costs an arm and a leg.

Sram, I've read about the double-tap system and it having a bit of a learning curve to it but then eventually they're hooked. I've never personally tried Sram.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

17. Post #417
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    665 Posts
    Rode 10 miles on the brompton today... I need a more comfortable saddle.

18. Post #418

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    i damaged my right knee in a cycling accident when i was a teenager thats why it hurts when i ride up 2 mile long 10% slopes with 42/16 gearing.

shimano 105 seems kind of expensive compared to equivalent campag or sram groupsets, as i havnt ridden geared that much i dont really have a preference

Edited:

brooks are probably the comfiest saddles even better than bg saddles, mine isnt broken in yet and its more comfortable than the specialized bg saddle i have
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #419
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,325 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #420
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    This is what riding is all about... Look how close his right handlebar is to the ground!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #421
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    665 Posts
    Oh god, new chain, sprockets, bushings, headset bolt... pricey service. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #422
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,019 Posts
    I always hear of people changing out their bike saddles and I have never understood it, whatever bike I have the saddles always feels just fine, no matter the distance I ride. Just wondering if I am the only one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #423
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    665 Posts
    I always hear of people changing out their bike saddles and I have never understood it, whatever bike I have the saddles always feels just fine, no matter the distance I ride. Just wondering if I am the only one.
    Depends, I'm a fat bastard so prefer something a little plusher personally.

24. Post #424
    Dennab
    June 2010
    1,908 Posts
    Can one of you tell me the benefits of having a fixed geared bicycle? I've never really given them much thought.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

25. Post #425
    December 2009
    511 Posts
    Can one of you tell me the benefits of having a fixed geared bicycle? I've never really given them much thought.
    fuck shifting

26. Post #426
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    The only benefits are that they look and ride clean, they can be very quiet, light, and lend themselves to tricks that would be more difficult on other types of bikes, or are unique to a fixed gear. They are pretty much as simple as a bike can get.
    Some would argue they give you a better workout because they force you to pedal, but if you were going for workout you'd pedal any bike constantly anyways, or should.

They can screw your knees up easily if your not careful, the back force on your knees is something they weren't really designed for. But that's not a benefit.

I personally own one because the tricks are fun and it's damn good lookin.

Edited:

fuck shifting
    hahaha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #427
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    easy maintenance also. And some people just don't feel the need to change gear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #428
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    665 Posts
    easy maintenance also. And some people just don't feel the need to change gear.
    Then why not just get a hub geared bike then? They're a shitton nicer than derailleurs for maintenance because they're sealed units, and you don't need to worry about fussy things like downshifting with derailleurs, you can just shift down into a lower gear when you stop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #429
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,019 Posts
    Then why not just get a hub geared bike then? They're a shitton nicer than derailleurs for maintenance because they're sealed units, and you don't need to worry about fussy things like downshifting with derailleurs, you can just shift down into a lower gear when you stop
    They are kinda pricey.

30. Post #430
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    You ask that question like I can speak for every fixed gear rider

I ride freewheel single speed. I can't speak for something I don't represent.

31. Post #431
    Dennab
    June 2010
    1,908 Posts
    Thanks, guys. Very informative.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

32. Post #432
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    Then why not just get a hub geared bike then?
    I own 3 classic 3 speeds, two Schwinn's and a Raleigh (two are women's frames unfortunately, but they come in handy for loaning). I do like internal shifting, but as with any bike, they all have their own place. So there's no such thing as a "why not" in biking. I own one for every occasion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #433
    GOLF WANG
    August 2006
    7,587 Posts
    As a thread revival, riding a fixed gear is almost like a culture, it's pretty cool. My bike (frame) has about 4000 miles on it so far.

Probably going to get a new one soon, i'm 6' and a 54cm isn't cutting it anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events

34. Post #434
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    I know some people like to ride fixed gear MOUNTAIN BIKES as opposed to road bikes for the challenge. And let me tell you, it is a challenge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #435
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    665 Posts
    As a thread revival, riding a fixed gear is almost like a culture, it's pretty cool. My bike (frame) has about 4000 miles on it so far.

Probably going to get a new one soon, i'm 6' and a 54cm isn't cutting it anymore.
    Fair enough. I like fixies because they look sleek, but just can't see the point in owning one seeing as technology has advanced so much. Doesn't help that most fixie riders in central London are suicidal maniacs who jump red lights and ride like absolute tossers.

I know some people like to ride fixed gear MOUNTAIN BIKES as opposed to road bikes for the challenge. And let me tell you, it is a challenge.
    What is this i dont even

36. Post #436
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    What is this i dont even
    There's quite an elitist community surrounding fixed mountain biking, you know - trails and such. It's considered the epitome of riding if you're good at it because it's incredibly hard. (Just imagine technical climbing)!

37. Post #437
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    665 Posts
    Got the brompton back today and took it for a spin. Feels much tighter now.

Went down a SHORT (400m or so) road with parked cars either side and speedbumps, some asshole in an astra zips past me, jams on his brakes to clear the speedbump and stops dead because of incoming traffic, meanwhile I have to lock my brakes and try my best not to shout.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #438

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    the sort of road you describe you should ride in a position where drivers dont have enough space to pass you at high speed, what annoys me is when drivers are so close to the pavement you cant filter upto traffic lights on the inside, once i was doing that at high speed and some retards car was so close my forearm whacked there mirror even with my relatively narrow track bars leaving me with a bruised arm and them with a broken mirror.

picking this up tomorrow, http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicis/mod.../#presentacion 950 from a LBS pretty decent price for full 105 could have got a frame with 105 for less from ribble but the orbea frame is nice and by purchasing from a lbs future servicing on it and my other bikes is easier.

before my clubs sunday run they are holding there annual 1 mile hill climb which i probably have a decent chance of winning

39. Post #439
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    665 Posts
    the sort of road you describe you should ride in a position where drivers dont have enough space to pass you at high speed, what annoys me is when drivers are so close to the pavement you cant filter upto traffic lights on the inside, once i was doing that at high speed and some retards car was so close my forearm whacked there mirror even with my relatively narrow track bars leaving me with a bruised arm and them with a broken mirror.

picking this up tomorrow, http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicis/mod.../#presentacion 950 from a LBS pretty decent price for full 105 could have got a frame with 105 for less from ribble but the orbea frame is nice and by purchasing from a lbs future servicing on it and my other bikes is easier.

before my clubs sunday run they are holding there annual 1 mile hill climb which i probably have a decent chance of winning
    Aye, I *did* take primary, but wasn't close enough to the centre line, he just squeezed past. As for cars leaving no space, I can't stand that either, best thing to do is just stop, or if there's a gap, try and filter on the outside - problem with that though is getting BACK on the inside.

Anyway, I really don't understand red light jumpers. Saw an absolute salmon of a cyclist on my way to waterloo after work. Blew through 3 red lights on his fixie with NO GAIN whatsoever - every time I sped past him on my lil' Brompton. 16 stone fatarse speeding past a skinny rake on his fancy bike, wonder how he felt?

The icing on the cake though was right at the last set of lights - up the inside of a bus about to turn left, through the lights, then straight on to a busy roundabout. He's probably the sort of twat who wonders why drivers in London have such low regard for cyclists, when in fact he's likely to get himself killed.

Edit - Once I start cycling to work every other day, I WILL start wearing a helmet cam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #440
    December 2009
    511 Posts
    I recently bought a road bike off of craigslist and started to ride a bit every day and then. I want to lose some weight with biking as the excercise. I can't run or jog (i'd love to) but I have some pretty bad asthma and my doctor reccomended I do different excercise from running. How should I start to start excercising with my bike? How many miles should I bike a day?