1. Post #481
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,459 Posts
    I just put the seatpost where it's comfortable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

2. Post #482
    January 2010
    351 Posts
    when measuring your seatpost height using the heel method should you wear your normal cycling shoe or do it barefoot? i understand it isnt as accurate a method the 109% or holmes method but its the easiest method.
    Go out for a ride with a metallic sharpie (if the seat post is black) and an allen key. Trial and error until you like where you're at.

If you can't be bothered, wear your cycling shoes and use the heel method.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

3. Post #483
    THE TRUE SAN DIEGAN WARLORD
    Dennab
    June 2008
    2,932 Posts
    I'm looking for a good fixed-gear track bike for the price, Facepunch. What are some good brands to start out with?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #484

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    might be a bit more expensive you being american and them being european brands but dolan frames are really cheap and high quality (example the precursa frame is 200 on dolans website, probably cheaper from a LBS that deals in dolan) planet x's frame is also popular on the track, imo you might as well build the bike up yourself if you want a singlespeed, if your actually going to use it on the track make sure to get a 144bcd crank you get a much wider selection of ratios. what is your actual use track, road or both? for pure road use or a mix i would get a more classic look frame rather than a alu track frame, the reynolds trinity for example is a beautiful frame but somewhat expensive (you can find copys on ebay but the paintjob isnt as nice). dont waste your money on a cinelli or something quality is fine but your paying for the name and they are common as fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #485
    January 2010
    351 Posts
    I'm looking for a good fixed-gear track bike for the price, Facepunch. What are some good brands to start out with?
    Will you be using it on the velodrome? Or just as an urban fixie?

6. Post #486
    THE TRUE SAN DIEGAN WARLORD
    Dennab
    June 2008
    2,932 Posts
    Will you be using it on the velodrome? Or just as an urban fixie?
    Urban fixie, I'm planning on building one so I can go from one place to another easier.

7. Post #487
    March 2011
    639 Posts
    They were going to build a velodrome in Albuquerque, but wasted time until the track was warped and trashed, and basically spent the money on a bmx track instead :(
    http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/politic...nt_20095202355
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #488
    August 2009
    709 Posts
    Just picked up a Trek FX 7.3 today, can't wait to take it out for a long ride.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

9. Post #489

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    just ordered a brooks swallow chrome, wasnt going to pay a extra 100 for titanium rails

probably somewhat late to say this but youd have got a nicer bike if you bought a singlespeed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #490
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    can anyone recommend a good (read: cheap) medium width mountain bike tyre?

also, is it easy to fit myself or should I get someone to do it for me?

thanks

11. Post #491

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    if you have tyre levers its easy, do it yourself even if you have to buy some of levers (there only a couple of quid) atleast then you know how to do it incase you have to replace a tube while out on a ride

12. Post #492
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    if you have tyre levers its easy, do it yourself even if you have to buy some of levers (there only a couple of quid) atleast then you know how to do it incase you have to replace a tube while out on a ride
    I'm not like a bike enthusiast, I just use it a few times a week to get around

13. Post #493
    December 2009
    511 Posts
    how do I fix this?
    I remove chain and put it back on and this happens

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

14. Post #494

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    maybe you should try putting the chain through the front derailleur like your supposed to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #495
    December 2009
    511 Posts
    maybe you should try putting the chain through the front derailleur like your supposed to
    welp i'm a dumbass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #496

February 2010
    2,441 Posts

you think this is positioned correctly, i was getting readings of 10-20mph just riding in my pumps. should turn on my gps logger and compare mileage on the next ride i suppose. i wanted a gps computer really but didnt want to pay for one

17. Post #497
    January 2010
    351 Posts
    did you set up the wheel circumference correctly?

18. Post #498

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    yeh i set it to what the chart says to use for 700x23, just had a chance to compare it against my gps logger over 41 miles the bike computer was about half a mile shorter than the gps unit max speed is 1mph higher on the gps, average speed cant be compared because i dont think the gps takes time not moving into account. looking at the gps track speeds look more or less the same for sections of road where i looked at the computer. overall i am pretty happy with that

my brooks has aslo started to take shape faster than i expected

19. Post #499
    January 2010
    3,063 Posts
    is it considered cheating if i put a 50cc engine on my bike for when i get tired of pedaling
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

20. Post #500
    August 2009
    592 Posts
    Don't have a bike and never riden one, I don't wanna sit on them seats, someone used to do 50 or something miles a day until the seat crushed his penal artery.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #501
    January 2010
    3,063 Posts
    i used to ride a bike without a seat because i was broke and couldnt afford to replace it. what a fucking mistake that was, went straight in my ass cheek and gave me a circular gash

i only ride 6-10 miles a day just to keep my legs from getting lazy though, so i wouldnt worry about your penis blood draining from your body if you do just 10-15 miles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #502
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    664 Posts
    Don't have a bike and never riden one, I don't wanna sit on them seats, someone used to do 50 or something miles a day until the seat crushed his penal artery.
    Thank you for your worthwhile post. I shall cherish it for the rest of my life.

Anyway, has anyone here got any experience with Exposure brand lights? I've been looking at the Flash/Flare rechargeables for my Brompton for late night commuting. They're relatively cheap (75 for the set and batteries/charger), seem decently bright (110 lumens or so, which is fine considering their size and how the reflector is set up) and the burn time isn't too bad (8 hours or so flashing, 4 hours or so constant)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

23. Post #503
    January 2010
    351 Posts
    Have you had a look at the kits deal extreme sells?

24. Post #504

September 2011
    448 Posts
    I use this one
    http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...2&blockType=G2
    It's pretty good :D Plus it's heavy so it helps my leg muscles out. Sadly haven't ridden it in 7 months since I can't be assed to replace the tube.

25. Post #505

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    Thank you for your worthwhile post. I shall cherish it for the rest of my life.

Anyway, has anyone here got any experience with Exposure brand lights? I've been looking at the Flash/Flare rechargeables for my Brompton for late night commuting. They're relatively cheap (75 for the set and batteries/charger), seem decently bright (110 lumens or so, which is fine considering their size and how the reflector is set up) and the burn time isn't too bad (8 hours or so flashing, 4 hours or so constant)
    i thought those high power lights wernt road legal but maybe thats incorrect it doesnt mention anything about it on the ctc lighting page

http://road.cc/content/review/46927-...-3-front-light has a good comparison tool, personally unless your cycling in areas with zero street lighting i wouldnt bother with anything fancy

Edited:

lawl at that kmart bike, my saddle alone cost roughly twice that

26. Post #506
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    664 Posts
    i thought those high power lights wernt road legal but maybe thats incorrect it doesnt mention anything about it on the ctc lighting page

http://road.cc/content/review/46927-...-3-front-light has a good comparison tool, personally unless your cycling in areas with zero street lighting i wouldnt bother with anything fancy

Edited:

lawl at that kmart bike, my saddle alone cost roughly twice that
    They're hardly high power. You can get MUCH brighter lights, but I'm going to skip on cheap chinese offerings, as I know how terrible they fare in the quality department.

Just because someone has a cheap bike, don't rag man. It's transport. Not everyone can afford the latest and greatest. Although I gotta say, dem cranks.

So, I forgot to post this here, part of my commute in the morn.

27. Post #507

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    what camera do you use?

28. Post #508
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    664 Posts
    gopro hd hero

29. Post #509
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,325 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #510
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    664 Posts
    Well, got the lights. Excuse the fuzzy photo but there's only so much you can do with a phone at night.

They're pretty bright, barely bright enough for unlit roads, but decent enough nonetheless. there's a good amount of spill on the sides too, so they keep you visible from all angles and the flashing mode doesn't turn off, it's a low-high flash. Which is nice.

31. Post #511
    December 2008
    1,649 Posts
    Bopie, that picture is centered as my wallpaper now. Did you take it?

I have decided that I will not be taking in my bike for servicing, I'm going to figure out how to maintain my bike without having to pay the retailer to do it. So far it's going very well. A few weeks ago I was learning how to true my rims, and I was under the impression that tightening the spoke nipples was done in standard US righty tighty lefty loosey. So during the process, I was like oh shit I made it worse, and further tried to fix it, ONLY TO MAKE IT WORSE. When I spun the rim it very much resembled a tire being rolled down a road, about to fall over. Eventually I figured it out and corrected everything. That's one way to learn.

32. Post #512
    I've got a rather old Hybrid / Mountain bike sitting somewhere in my hometown. I gotta get it here. Are disc brakes universal? I would love to upgrade it to have disc brakes.

Edited:

Nevermind, turns out my uncle took the old bike and spent fore money restoring it than the price of buying it. I guess I'm gonna have to get a new one. I would love to get a good MTB for under $650. I just don't know what are the reliable bikes nowadays.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events

33. Post #513
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    664 Posts
    I've got a rather old Hybrid / Mountain bike sitting somewhere in my hometown. I gotta get it here. Are disc brakes universal? I would love to upgrade it to have disc brakes.

Edited:

Nevermind, turns out my uncle took the old bike and spent fore money restoring it than the price of buying it. I guess I'm gonna have to get a new one. I would love to get a good MTB for under $650. I just don't know what are the reliable bikes nowadays.
    Just be aware that in Malaysia there's going to be a LOT of cheap and nasty stuff floating around. Wawasan 2020 my arse.

Edit - Damn, mountain biking on kampung trails would be so freaking awesome.

34. Post #514
    Just be aware that in Malaysia there's going to be a LOT of cheap and nasty stuff floating around. Wawasan 2020 my arse.
    I've heard a great deal about the Taiwanese Giant bikes. I wonder if they're actually good.

35. Post #515
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    664 Posts
    I've heard a great deal about the Taiwanese Giant bikes. I wonder if they're actually good.
    Giant are excellent value for money and well worth the purchase. I'd rather own a bicycle than a perodua.

36. Post #516
    You said it man, nobody wants a Malaysian car.

I've heard hydraulic brakes are much more worth it than a mechanical disc brake. I wonder whats the price difference.

37. Post #517

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    avoid cheaper disc brakes like tektro branded ones they suck, mechanical does advantages they are easier to maintain and wont fail you mid ride by boiling off all the fluid

38. Post #518

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    if you ride everyday or long distance how often do you clean your bike? i spent ages cleaning my geared bike a few days ago have ridden it twice and its so dirty again you can't tell i cleaned it and would think i rode cyclocross. its really annoying, next winter im going to ride fixed at least then it only takes a couple of minutes to clean the crank/sproket and mudguards keep the frame reasonably clean

39. Post #519
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    664 Posts
    if you ride everyday or long distance how often do you clean your bike? i spent ages cleaning my geared bike a few days ago have ridden it twice and its so dirty again you can't tell i cleaned it and would think i rode cyclocross. its really annoying, next winter im going to ride fixed at least then it only takes a couple of minutes to clean the crank/sproket and mudguards keep the frame reasonably clean
    I clean once a week, doing about 10 miles a day. Roads near me aren't actually that bad, but sometimes midweek I'll wipe the chain down and put a little lube in. Never really had any issues with grime.

40. Post #520
    NotMeh works out at home.
    June 2009
    12,061 Posts
    dis thread is now about cycling steroids