1. Post #641

February 2010
    2,457 Posts
    waiting for the bike i ordered to be delivered to the LBS is awful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #642
    September 2011
    868 Posts
    Yo guys thinking of getting into biking properly, is this a good bike to start with? I don't really have a clue about what's good, as long as it has 2 wheels.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/34694/Viking-Sprint-2011---Road-Bike.html

3. Post #643
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    Yo guys thinking of getting into biking properly, is this a good bike to start with? I don't really have a clue about what's good, as long as it has 2 wheels.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/34694/Viking-Sprint-2011---Road-Bike.html
    In all honesty - Nope.

It weighs as much as my mountain bike and has crappy componentry. If you've only got a few hundred to spend, buy second hand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

4. Post #644
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,322 Posts
    So I've recently started losing weight like mad (22 pounds so far putting me at 175). I live 3.1 miles away from my work. There's a good half mile of that is a steep uphill towards my house. I'd love to ride my bicycle to work all the time but that hill is really intimidating and I don't think I'd be able to ride up it. Is there a decent way to prepare for this? To work its basically all downhill but the way home has discouraged me so far.

Is there anyway that I can train to do this? I use a stationary bike or treadmill basically daily at the gym . But I'd like to be able to ride to work on my bicycle now. I have a mountain bike that I got from walmart for about 100 bucks. But I'd consider getting a better bike but only if this is something I can do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #645
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,335 Posts
    Just take your time, get into the granny gear and tackle the hill at a steady pace and control your breathing. Keep trying, and eventually you'll be able to get up it without stopping. Best way to train for cycling is to stay out on the roads as opposed to gyms.

Just give it a try, worst case scenario is you need to walk the last section... but the next time you try it, it'll already be easier.

6. Post #646
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    Just take your time, get into the granny gear and tackle the hill at a steady pace and control your breathing. Keep trying, and eventually you'll be able to get up it without stopping. Best way to train for cycling is to stay out on the roads as opposed to gyms.

Just give it a try, worst case scenario is you need to walk the last section... but the next time you try it, it'll already be easier.
    This.

I suck at hills. The problem I have is that every bloody hill that's steep-ish is either -

a) A main road
    b) Has cars parked either side, so you can barely get a single lane of traffic.

I never want to take the lane in these situations because wheeling along at a jogging pace just seems mighty inconsiderate.

7. Post #647

February 2010
    2,457 Posts
    any suggestions on a decent multibike stand? shouldnt be wall or ceiling mounted as my current flat has crappy plasterboard walls

Edited:

those viking bikes are horrible, you can get a really nice ss/fixed on ebay for less, most are collection only though so depending where you live you might have to wait a while to find one

8. Post #648

February 2010
    2,457 Posts
    have a look at www.ribblecycles.co.uk for a reasonably priced roadbike, they are cheaper than most off the peg models, imo a tiagra or 105 groupset is entry level for a road bike maybe sora if your on a really tight budget.

the best way to get into road cycling cheaply is to purchase a secondhand singlespeeed/fixed and join a local club like your local chapter of the national clarion or whatever clubs are in your area, i used nothing but fixed on club rides for over a month until i could afford my 105 orbea, i still ride fixed on any rides without significant hills.

9. Post #649
    September 2011
    868 Posts
    Will start hunting for them on ebay, what brands should I be looking for?

Come across this in the area .

10. Post #650

February 2010
    2,457 Posts
    finally got my new bike its really nice, ordered a drop bar and might get a brooks saddle and schwalbe ultremo zx tyres in the future

http://velospace.org/node/41891

11. Post #651
    August 2011
    49 Posts
    finally got my new bike its really nice, ordered a drop bar and might get a brooks saddle and schwalbe ultremo zx tyres in the future

http://velospace.org/node/41891
    sexy

lol havent posted in this thread in almost a year.

recently got back into cycling and now own this bike http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

12. Post #652
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    Went for a ride around London today. Lucky I put the mudguard on, lots of crud on the roads and got caught in a hailstorm! (Don't care about getting wet but having a mud streak up your arsecrack is not cool)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #653
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,723 Posts
    So, to test the GPS yesterday I decided to ride to work. I went on the fantastic cyclestreets.net, made a route and downloaded a .gpx which then went on the GPS.

The route wasn't from home, it was from a train station that I know how to get to, so no big deal there. I got to the station and decided to fire up my preset (and all on the flat) route. Guess what? No dice. No worries then, I'll just set the GPS to auto route me. It gave me the shortest route possible, but also up EVERY FUCKING HILL possible. However - bombing it down a 20degree gradient hill that's full of speedbumps is totally awesome.
    Where'd you get the bike; or did you custom make that?

14. Post #654
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    Where'd you get the bike; or did you custom make that?
    Local bike shop - Bromley Bike Co

It's a 2012 Cube Attention

15. Post #655
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,723 Posts
    Decided that a bike will be the next thing I'll save up for. What type of bike should I get for daily/bi-daily rides, approximately 3 miles~?

16. Post #656
    Kiss me, I'm Irish
    September 2006
    8,457 Posts
    I've been biking every day, roads and off-road cycling. Although I don't know if I should be going farther. I've been going an average of 5-6 km a day. I started off around 4 km but I've gone further and further each day, towards the outskirts of my town. The landscape that I bike is a variety of bike trails, flat roads, intimidating hills, and parks. I'm able to tackle the hills without stopping for a break.

If I wish to start losing weight should I be going further or more hills?

(I know diet is the other half to losing weight, but my question is focusing on the cycling.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events

17. Post #657
    Ligger Nyncher
    August 2009
    7,107 Posts
    Im thinking about getting a bike just for riding around town and maybe going into the country for a bit, anyone know about the Barracuda Sawtooth?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A2N1U8JRQFRYFA

It looks pretty nice and seems ok but I'm not entirely sure, is there anything I could get better for the price?

Also, what do you guys think about open face masks, I read they can be dangerous or something, and would I look like a bellend riding around with one on, like this one
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RGpddmkuL.jpg

18. Post #658
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    Im thinking about getting a bike just for riding around town and maybe going into the country for a bit, anyone know about the Barracuda Sawtooth?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A2N1U8JRQFRYFA

It looks pretty nice and seems ok but I'm not entirely sure, is there anything I could get better for the price?

Also, what do you guys think about open face masks, I read they can be dangerous or something, and would I look like a bellend riding around with one on, like this one
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RGpddmkuL.jpg
    Barracuda and other such brands found on amazon, or in supermarkets and places like sportsdirect and play.com aren't worth a penny. They generally use cheap or non-standard parts and will break within a years use. Not only that but they're heavier than a bag of lead bricks.

Spend a little more, 300-350 and you could get a nicer, lighter bike with higher quality parts and a better (although still budget) fork.

If you have a halfords near you, try your fit for one of these and then buy online.

Or, have a look in your local bike shop and see what they have around that price range, better yet, check local classifieds and see if anyones got a nice second hand bike for sale.

I'm not trying to be elitist and say you should get a really expensive bike, but if you weed out the cheap stuff, the minimum you're going to realistally want to spend to get something nice that will last is about 300. If you get a nice bike, it'll ride better, you'll have more fun riding it too.

As for full face helmets, they're heavy and can get VERY hot... not worth it for day to day riding, only worth wearing or using if you're doing downhill riding or are incredibly paranoid about your looks being ruined from a crash ;)

19. Post #659
    January 2010
    830 Posts
    Are kona's bikes any good? I'm about to get Kona Dew or Kona Dew City (cheaper). They're both pretty cheep, Kona Dew City is around 400 euros.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

20. Post #660
    Are kona's bikes any good? I'm about to get Kona Dew or Kona Dew City (cheaper). They're both pretty cheep, Kona Dew City is around 400 euros.
    I've heard about Kona bikes being heavy as hell but thats on downhill/freeride bikes and their downhill/freeride bikes are solid as hell.

Should be good though.

Also, had a downhill photo session today. The photographer better get good pics of my cause I broke the sound barrier with my hardtail. And bottomed out my fork. Now all my friends are telling me to get a longer fork which I agree but not have the money to do.

Edited:

Nevermind, my fears came true. All he got was blur of me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events

21. Post #661
    January 2010
    830 Posts
    So, I'm buying a Kona Dew 2011 for 311 euros. I can't decide between 56cm and 59cm frame size though. I'm 15 years old and 180.5cm tall (5'11) and I most likely will grow. My brother was 180 too in my age, how he's 18 and 192cm tall..

22. Post #662
    So, I'm buying a Kona Dew 2011 for 311 euros. I can't decide between 56cm and 59cm frame size though. I'm 15 years old and 180.5cm tall (5'11) and I most likely will grow. My brother was 180 too in my age, how he's 18 and 192cm tall..
    Are you going to buy online or from a local bike shop? If local, I suggest you ask around and try out the bikes.

23. Post #663

February 2010
    2,457 Posts
    i think 56 will fit better for your current height, 59 will probably be too large, end of the day if in 3/4 years a 56 is a bit small just sell it and get a better bike its not like your buying a highend carbon/ti bike

24. Post #664
    August 2010
    115 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

25. Post #665
    January 2010
    830 Posts
    Are you going to buy online or from a local bike shop? If local, I suggest you ask around and try out the bikes.
    I'm ordering it through the mail from Estonia (no shipping fees ). I'm from Finland.

Yeah, I'm going with the 56 model.

26. Post #666
    I'm ordering it through the mail from Estonia (no shipping fees ). I'm from Finland.

Yeah, I'm going with the 56 model.
    No shipping fees? Nice. Well have fun with your new bike.

27. Post #667
    January 2010
    830 Posts
    No shipping fees? Nice. Well have fun with your new bike.
    Yeah well, turns out they ran out of 56cm models at the same day I was going to buy one.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #668
    Yeah well, turns out they ran out of 56cm models at the same day I was going to buy one.

Looks like you'll have to wait a while. There is a local bike ride hosted by the government in a few hours or so, thinking wather should I join or not.

29. Post #669
    Woop. Sent my bike in for a fork upgrade. Bottomed out my old one and according to some its trash.

30. Post #670
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    5,075 Posts
    Here's my baby (and my mess of a room). Couldn't afford insurance on the car anymore so I had to sell it and got this as a replacement.

Warning: Image is massive.

Only downside is riding in the summer is going to be hell (I live in Iowa summer gets up into the 90's and really humid) and come winter I won't have a way of getting anywhere. Also when I have to work 6 days in a row I get really fucking tired (I'm on day two of six right now)

31. Post #671
    The temp is 90 Fahrenheit and the humidity is 60% all year round here.

Its really uncomfortable to cycle in the midday. But morning and afternoon are okay.

32. Post #672
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    5,075 Posts
    Yikes, where do you live?

Midday sucks, which is when I go to work.

33. Post #673
    Malaysia. I only cycle when its cloudy and when its hot I just use my moped instead.

Le Tour De Borneo just ended, and every cyclist in the town was invited to have a ride in the morning and join them in the finishing line. It was fun.

34. Post #674
    Just got my bike from the shop. For some reason 3 days without my bike made me get stressed easily.

35. Post #675
    Burst my rear tube today. Great, no more cycling till I get a replacement.

36. Post #676
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    Burst my rear tube today. Great, no more cycling till I get a replacement.
    Don't know if you're a MTBer or not, but have you looked into getting slime tubes? They've saved me a few times. Apart from when I ripped a massive gash in my tyre, of course :)

37. Post #677
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    Don't know if you're a MTBer or not, but have you looked into getting slime tubes? They've saved me a few times. Apart from when I ripped a massive gash in my tyre, of course :)
    Quite a bit of extra weight in the tires though, i've been considering them for commuting. I'd like to get another set of wheels though to be honest, one for slicks/commuting and one for knobblies/fun however the cost mounts up - 150 for wheelset, then for discs, cassette and rimtape versus 20 mins swapping tires and tubes.

38. Post #678
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    Quite a bit of extra weight in the tires though, i've been considering them for commuting. I'd like to get another set of wheels though to be honest, one for slicks/commuting and one for knobblies/fun however the cost mounts up - 150 for wheelset, then for discs, cassette and rimtape versus 20 mins swapping tires and tubes.
    I'd rather have a few more grams of weight for the reassurance than not have anything at all and be buggered if you don't carry a spare tube (adding nonsensical weight anyway!)

39. Post #679
    Well. I don't really have time to change my tube now. Will look up on the slimes.

40. Post #680
    hell yeah. saving up for a proper DH bike now and would probobaly getting it by next month.

anyone ever tried ChainReactionCycles before? I know they're reliable but I justwanted to know wether their service is good or not.

and I just got a new helmet cam cant wait to try this baby out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Malaysia Show Events