1. Post #161
    August 2006
    66 Posts
    Sadly there was a recent case in Colorado where a driver had a hit and run on a cyclist...
    Share the road folks.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/roadright...cites-outrage/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

2. Post #162
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    not a major problem as its still above the bar height just a slight annoyance
    I think any bike looks better with less seat post. It means the bike was made for your size. Track bikes are typically pretty small, especially older ones, so people probably settle for the smaller ones because they have to, or perhaps for tricks. Regardless I think the bike looks good.

I was thinking about one of these because they are the classic steel frame from a respectable company at a decent price. But I don't particularly like specialized bikes, what year is this one? It looks much better without the specialized logo all over it...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

3. Post #163

February 2010
    2,460 Posts
    its a '10 apart from looking better the 10 frame cost a lot less as well, it was only 400 + 20 for those shimano spd's

there is a yellow special edition as well which looks ok probably the nicest thing about it is it has a numbered badge, why dont modern bikes have proper badges anymore? for the 1p they would cost to produce in some chinese factory its hardly going to hurt there profit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #164
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    but the Netherlands has one of the best cycle lane systems in europe, it doesnt really compare to riding in the USA or UK and i imagine many other european countrys.

he makes a good point about buying from speciality shops as well, i wouldnt buy i bike from halfords for example and there stores dedicate about a half the floor space (more space than many speciality bike shops) to bicycles but really there speciality is a childs first bike (because most parents dont know anywhere better to go) and cheap shit for chavs that falls apart in 6 months

Edited:

for 20 then 10 or so for some grip tape i would get one of these http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwP...c003231c003232 what rims are they i think theres a wider range of road tyres for 700c rather than 26"
    I would never buy a bike from halfords either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

5. Post #165
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    its a '10 apart from looking better the 10 frame cost a lot less as well, it was only 400 + 20 for those shimano spd's
    Thanks for the info, I just might need to pick one up... I may sell my old truck and put more into a vintage, though.. we'll see.

As for the badges, I fully agree. Theres just a real lack of wanting to work these days, It's probably not as much a production cost, as much as it doesn't fit with their most likely automated sticker processes. Honestly though, who knows.

6. Post #166

February 2010
    2,460 Posts
    does anyone know of a chart that details the rolling resistance of various tyres or can recommend a good pair of 700x23 slicks? not going to replace them until one goes or i reach the 6 week service but i have been reading that the specialized mondo's fitted to the langster '10 puncture very easily so i would rather replace them

7. Post #167
    November 2009
    1,585 Posts
    My previous bike was stolen, so I bought a brand new one earlier this year...
    It's a Mongoose one, can't find any pictures of it though. I mainly use it to move in the city, and very frequently.
    Sometimes I go to the forest too to have some fun.
    By the way I fell from it a couple of days ago during running in the forest, my leg still hurts!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Greece Show Events

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,019 Posts
    I just got back from doing some trail riding up in the keweenaw it was pretty awesome. Next I plan on going on these.
    http://www.copperharbortrails.org/trails
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #169
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    Every year my city has a party called Fiesta, 100k visitors come to town, but while they
    're all doing tourist shit, 1600+ locals hit the streets on bikes, after making a few pit stops at a couple liquor stores along the 20 mile ride, we end up at some jumps... This year the city tore out the jumps, but we managed to hit what was left...

Party.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #170
    January 2010
    352 Posts
    Here's my bike. A Pinarello Opera. To everyone it's just a bike, but to me it's priceless! I have countless stories and experiences with this bike.

Here's my track bike. Due to studies and what not I've lost the legs to turn the gear so it's been collecting dust.

And here is my run around bike for pissing around and what not
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

11. Post #171
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,484 Posts
    A package arrived at my door with Schwinn written on it! It says Mens Protocol 1.0, 26 inch wheels. I have had a
    Schwinn before, and it was awesome!(btw, it was a Stingray.)Too bad it got stolen right off my porch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #172
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    it was a Stingray.
    New or old stingray? Cuz if it was the old one... Sad day.
    I collect old Schwinns, the ones made in Chicago.

13. Post #173
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,484 Posts
    New or old stingray? Cuz if it was the old one... Sad day.
    I collect old Schwinns, the ones made in Chicago.
    Old Stingray, I was very upset about that. It was from any of these years(I dunno) '70-'74. I miss it lots. I finished assembling my new Schwinn Protocol 1.0, handles great, breaks hard, seat hurts a bunch. Here she was, high and mighty. Since the picture, I was working on the speedometer, but, it got stolen before I could finish getting the dial to move.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #174
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    Old Stingray
    Maaan thats a real bummer. The paint on that thing still looked pretty nice, too!
    I've got a few 1960s three speeds, one of them, a Racer, is pretty darn mint. I'll have to get a picture soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #175
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    So, since last posting. I've been cycling. A TON.

I've basically forced myself into it and am quite happy with my progress. Sure my cardio still sucks balls and I can't climb even shallow hills for shit, but what do you expect for a 200lb lump on a 32lb bike?

Still, my leg muscles are improving massively and I'm noting I can cycle for longer without fatigue. If I'm bored, I'll go cycle for an hour or so and it helps the time pass.

Also, I found a route to the train station before work that has a fucking AWESOME downhill section with a real shallow climb. Nothing like going from 18mph, all the way up to 35mph. I watch the drivers who just passed me on the up glance at their rear view mirrors with looks of disbelief.

Sadly, the uphill after that sucks, but it's only a short walk. <3

Things to do -

Raise the saddle another inch or so and learn proper starting technique (I currently sit to start, instead of pushing down and lifting myself up), I know I can gain a little power and help combat fatigue this way.
    Learn to ride unseated for hill climbs (As I got beat by a kid on a BMX the other day, doing 20mph, quite embarrassing!)

Overall I'm having a blast.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

16. Post #176
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    Annnd, thats all that matters.
    The endurance etc. will come later.

Raising the seat will make for a more confortable ride on the road, but if you hit the dirt, I'd suggest slamming the seat and standing most of the time. It looks like your seat has a quick release, this will make changing the height on the fly way easy.
    Learning to stand and ride will be one of the best things for you to learn in general, you will end up having much more control of the bike that way.

17. Post #177
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    So, since last posting. I've been cycling. A TON.

I've basically forced myself into it and am quite happy with my progress. Sure my cardio still sucks balls and I can't climb even shallow hills for shit, but what do you expect for a 200lb lump on a 32lb bike?

Still, my leg muscles are improving massively and I'm noting I can cycle for longer without fatigue. If I'm bored, I'll go cycle for an hour or so and it helps the time pass.

Also, I found a route to the train station before work that has a fucking AWESOME downhill section with a real shallow climb. Nothing like going from 18mph, all the way up to 35mph. I watch the drivers who just passed me on the up glance at their rear view mirrors with looks of disbelief.

Sadly, the uphill after that sucks, but it's only a short walk. <3

Things to do -

Raise the saddle another inch or so and learn proper starting technique (I currently sit to start, instead of pushing down and lifting myself up), I know I can gain a little power and help combat fatigue this way.
    Learn to ride unseated for hill climbs (As I got beat by a kid on a BMX the other day, doing 20mph, quite embarrassing!)

Nice! Don't blame it on your weight though, just by cycling your leg muscles will form a great deal, don't know how long you've been cycling now but after a couple months you should slightly begin seeing the iconic V shape on the back of your lower legs. I'm 200lb myself, and I climb hills well enough. It all comes down to your muscles forming and getting used to cycling.

Edited:

Annnd, thats all that matters.
    The endurance etc. will come later.

Raising the seat will make for a more confortable ride on the road, but if you hit the dirt, I'd suggest slamming the seat and standing most of the time. It looks like your seat has a quick release, this will make changing the height on the fly way easy.
    Learning to stand and ride will be one of the best things for you to learn in general, you will end up having much more control of the bike that way.
    Next up: "Mommy looks no hands!!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

18. Post #178
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    Next up: "Mommy looks no hands!!"
    Heh, I can already cycle one handed well enough. Have to be able to to signal turns :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

19. Post #179
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Heh, I can already cycle one handed well enough. Have to be able to to signal turns :)
    No handed is almost the same as one handed, the only thing making it difficult is fear.

20. Post #180
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,253 Posts
    Finally able to get a new bike with the money I got.

I'm most likely going for this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec023874, taking a 17" frame and a pair of Kona pedals, due to the packaged pedal being cheap/slipper

Anyone think I could get anything better for under 590?

21. Post #181
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,525 Posts
    New bike I will buy for my commute.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/pro...aspx?&id=15457

has disc brakes so cannot really put panniers on but will most likely just do a big logistics run on the mondays using the train then cycle the rest.

Anyone got any recommendations on hybrid bike models? I want a hybrid bike that is more road than mountain bike, would like a solid frame, no suspension, and decent road tyres.

22. Post #182
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts

has disc brakes so cannot really put panniers on but will most likely just do a big logistics run on the mondays using the train then cycle the rest.

Anyone got any recommendations on hybrid bike models? I want a hybrid bike that is more road than mountain bike, would like a solid frame, no suspension, and decent road tyres.
    What about a Ridgeback Velocity (Same as mine)

Decent spec bike, cheap (lots of places have them on sale) and rather well made. If not the velocity, then you could always get a Ridgeback Flight 01, they're around 500ish and are pretty damn light too. (23lbs, that's light for a hybrid!)

23. Post #183
    July 2007
    190 Posts
    New bike after the first ride.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #184
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    for the record
    1) i fucking hate gravel
    2) i fucking HATE gravel

that shit is horrible man, first off, its slippery AS FUCK (bunch of tiny rocks acting like ball bearings and shit) and along with that its SHARP like a DAGGER (tiny rocks are stabbity yo)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #185
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    for the record
    1) i fucking hate gravel
    2) i fucking HATE gravel

that shit is horrible man, first off, its slippery AS FUCK (bunch of tiny rocks acting like ball bearings and shit) and along with that its SHARP like a DAGGER (tiny rocks are stabbity yo)
    The first time I decided to cycle to the train station, I went a route I didn't know. Part of the route was a long road, which, unbeknown to me ended in a downhill section (around 15% gradient) of unpaved road.

It was some pretty slick gravel that was wet from rainfall and the road had potholes the size and depth of my head.

I hit it at 25mph.

That day I learned 2 important lessons:
    - For the love of god, pump the fucking brakes.
    - Don't go down wet, potholed gravel roads at high speed

Surprisingly, I never had an off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #186
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    The first time I decided to cycle to the train station, I went a route I didn't know. Part of the route was a long road, which, unbeknown to me ended in a downhill section (around 15% gradient) of unpaved road.

It was some pretty slick gravel that was wet from rainfall and the road had potholes the size and depth of my head.

I hit it at 25mph.

That day I learned 2 important lessons:
    - For the love of god, pump the fucking brakes.
    - Don't go down wet, potholed gravel roads at high speed

Surprisingly, I never had an off.
    i was cycling to a nature reserve, so i had to take a road normally reserved for big rigs just to avoid the highway. guess what the shoulders were made out of? motherfucking gravel. along the way i hit a hubcap or something, fell off and wound up cutting my hands and scratching my ipod.
    seriously.
    fuck.
    gravel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,253 Posts
    Downgraded my selection to a sports disc variant and getting pedals and other bits and bobs instead.
    I'm pretty stoked

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,019 Posts
    http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/131
    Just picked up one of these for $280.
    Perfect condition. It is my first real mountain bike, before I have been riding a mongoose around which has worked but this is sooo much nicer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

29. Post #189
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    903 Posts
    I was waiting for traffic to pass (pulling out of the bottom bit of a T) and the girl in the car behind me (16, of course) shouted, "GO! You're not a CAR!" and I thought, HOW did you pass the TEST?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

30. Post #190
    August 2008
    516 Posts
    Car pulled in front of bike in bike lane. Busted teeth and big head ache. Asian driver is trying to get off not paying for a new bike.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP New Zealand Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

31. Post #191
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,371 Posts
    Did you file a police report?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

32. Post #192
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Car pulled in front of bike in bike lane. Busted teeth and big head ache. Asian driver is trying to get off not paying for a new bike.

Very nice bike you had there.

33. Post #193
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    I've seen so many carbon bikes do this! Forks too. Anyone planning to get one, I always tell to stay away from. Glad you made it out alive, though.

Edited:

This things clean man, how much travel back and front?

34. Post #194

February 2010
    2,460 Posts
    Finally able to get a new bike with the money I got.

I'm most likely going for this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec023874, taking a 17" frame and a pair of Kona pedals, due to the packaged pedal being cheap/slipper

Anyone think I could get anything better for under 590?
    isnt this http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwP...c003155c018340 the same base bike for 349? then you can get a set of shimano spd's for 20

Edited:

my touring bike has disc brakes but has racks front and back, disc brakes dont mean you cant fit racks. again going to recommend EBC they have a range of lowish price decent quality tourers

Edited:

was wondering how much difference will 42/13 make compared to my current 42/16 i dont want to high a GI as i live in a hilly area and need to be able to climb the hills but with a 16t cog on downhills and very long flat sections the top speed is limited

lol is it posible to delete that mess of automerges?

35. Post #195
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    So, I nearly had an accident the other day. Pushing off at the lights, my foot slipped off my crappy pedals and I lost balance, bumped into the kerb and hopped off, much to the annoyance of the cyclist behind me.

I'd LOVE to go SPD, but it's just not practical for me in traffic, London is start/stop even on a bike. Explains why toeclips are so damn popular here still.

So, I bought some Superstar CNC Nano Thru Pin Pedals for cheap and they came today. For 40 they were a hell of a lot better than what I'd find in a bike shop for a similar price, and also basically the same as other brand pedals at half the price.

Also, they're red and they sent me some chewy cola bottles in the package too.

Fuck yeah.

36. Post #196
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    Pedals installed, they are grippy as fuck.

Been riding around today to test them out, and rode 27 miles. Absolutely exhausted. My cardio is improving which is great, however I found my legs got super tired, a flapjack and some salami is hardly energy food for that much exercise.

Still not too confident in heavy traffic but it'll come in time. <3

37. Post #197
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,508 Posts
    Just got a Custom Raleigh M80 and tuned it up, rode >10 miles after work, I'll post a picture tomorrow. I love this bike, I've been doing BMXing for many years now and do all that trick shit, but it's so nice to be able to cruise long distances or come down a mountain.

38. Post #198
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,525 Posts
    Dear god I hate adjusting front derallieurs.

Using a calibration guide, adjusting to the dot in the manual, I still have a piss poor gear change, my 20 year old rust covered bike changes gear better. any tips on how to adjust one properly, all the guides seem to religiously focus on adjusting the small gear first, which while calibrating the low gear correctly, means I always end up with massive chain rub on the middle gear and being unable to change up to the large gear.

39. Post #199
    January 2010
    352 Posts
    I've seen so many carbon bikes do this! Forks too. Anyone planning to get one, I always tell to stay away from. Glad you made it out alive, though.
    Really? So carbon breaking from being hit by a 1300+ kg car is a reason why you should stay away from it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #200
    Really? So carbon breaking from being hit by a 1300+ kg car is a reason why you should stay away from it?
    I dunno,i prefer titanium better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)