1. Post #321
    December 2007
    1,002 Posts
    1989 Cannondale SR300 (49cm)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #322
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    Looks quite nice! Have you ever tried clipless pedals though?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #323
    December 2007
    1,002 Posts
    I've considered it but I have to buy new shoes and everything. Since I got the bike for 200 bucks, I dunno if it's a worthy investment.

I do want to change out the saddle to a Turbo or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #324
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    So should be getting a smaller frame (like I said) going to be powder sprayed black and gonna build the bike fixed rather than freewheel for the exercise.

5. Post #325

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    I've considered it but I have to buy new shoes and everything. Since I got the bike for 200 bucks, I dunno if it's a worthy investment.

I do want to change out the saddle to a Turbo or something.
    cheapest shimano spd pedals are about 20 then i paid 10 for some shoes on ebay its well worth it

im getting really annoyed at the place i ordered a miche supertype seatpost and Cinelli Unicanitor Saddle i placed the order first thing thursday and they still havnt shipped it as far as i can tell, i emailed them a couple of hours ago and they havnt replied, i was thinking of ordering a frame from them but with shit customer service like that they can forget it

6. Post #326
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,744 Posts
    My dad tried convincing me that my bike isn't a mountain bike solely because it's a solid frame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #327

8. Post #328
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,019 Posts
    Hey Sbradford26, that tyre looks exactly what you want. It's fast rolling for tarmac and and looks (from the pictures) fairly grippy for your trails..

I'd say go for it :)
    Sweet thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

9. Post #329

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    my only comment about the clothing is more panels is better, you should be able to get a pair of 8 panel shorts for that price, its upto you if you want to wear them.

i think mtb pedals and shoes are more practical (plus the pedals are cheaper) as you can get off the bike and walk without looking like you shit you pants

10. Post #330
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    I don't need to do any walking with them other than to get to my bike

11. Post #331
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    yeah that was my doubt. I need help on which bike I should buy :/
    I know a bit about BMX.. I used to race, but since then have sort of fell out of the loop on the latest. What're you lookin at/ need to know?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

12. Post #332
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,019 Posts
    I don't need to do any walking with them other than to get to my bike
    I was just looking at these.
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...4#ReviewHeader
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._20000__400098

13. Post #333
    January 2010
    352 Posts
    Depending how long you ride for (30 km+ is a fair estimate) you could try looking into bib shorts. They look fucking ridiculous but they're amazing compared to normal shorts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

14. Post #334
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    too late now, I ordered the shorts and shirt. my rides are usually 10-15 miles. I'll see how the shorts are, and if necessary I can always get a bib.

I need help finding shoes and pedals. I don't need top of the line stuff.. just something that's average priced and good quality.

are the pedals/shoes I posted earlier fine?

15. Post #335
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,508 Posts
    I like that mammal toe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #336
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    I'm gonna go ahead and order http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M32...6437812&sr=8-2

they should be fine for my needs. also a good thing about them is you can use regular shoes as well.

now I need to find some shoes. does anyone know any good road bike shoes on amazon?

17. Post #337
    December 2007
    1,002 Posts
    bib shorts are way more comfy, trust. Regular shorts cut into your hip bones, and you're probably going to be wearing a jersey or t-shirt over the bib anyway so you can't really see the suspender part.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #338
    January 2010
    352 Posts
    I'm gonna go ahead and order http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M32...6437812&sr=8-2

they should be fine for my needs. also a good thing about them is you can use regular shoes as well.

now I need to find some shoes. does anyone know any good road bike shoes on amazon?
    Those pedals are fine for casual commuting and the like.
    Shoes, I wouldn't know about commuting/MTB shoes sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

19. Post #339
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    I've been cycling all my life and never worn any proper cycling gear (except maybe MTB shorts a couple times)

Could be a 5 miles cycle or a 30 mile cycle, my normal clothes have never made me uncomfortable.

Edited:

Must have this bike

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #340
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    I've been cycling all my life and never worn any proper cycling gear (except maybe MTB shorts a couple times)
    Could be a 5 miles cycle or a 30 mile cycle, my normal clothes have never made me uncomfortable.
    Edited:
    Must have this bike
    Agree, and agree!
    I almost bought this bike, but decided to get a cheaper one, while saving for a true vintage bike in the future.

Also, that spandex ish... I won't even go there. To each his own I guess haha

21. Post #341
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    Shoes, I wouldn't know about commuting/MTB shoes sorry.
    my bike isn't for commuting

I'm getting road bike shoes

Edited:

Also, that spandex ish... I won't even go there. To each his own I guess haha
    if you ride more than like 5-10 miles on a road bike then you basically need cycling clothes

22. Post #342
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    I cycle 16 miles round trip to get to work twice a week on a road bike and wear jeans/chinos and have never once had a single problem.

Edited:

plus cycling a few miles each day to get to uni.

And i'll cycle in the evenings a few times a week if i'm bored. All wearing casual clothes and never having a problem.

Not saying cycling shorts don't have their uses, but I've not felt any downsides to not wearing them myself.

23. Post #343
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    I cycle 16 miles round trip to get to work twice a week on a road bike and wear jeans/chinos and have never once had a single problem.

Edited:

plus cycling a few miles each day to get to uni.

And i'll cycle in the evenings a few times a week if i'm bored. All wearing casual clothes and never having a problem.

Not saying cycling shorts don't have their uses, but I've not felt any downsides to not wearing them myself.
    I'm switching because wearing regular clothes is somewhat annoying for me. shirt isn't skin tight, so it acts as a parachute and slows you down, and also it gets soaked and doesn't dry up like a cycling jersey would. the regular shorts I have aren't skin tight either, so air gets up in them and flaps them around. cycling shorts have padding as well.

24. Post #344
    December 2007
    1,002 Posts
    you might be able to manage without cycling clothes but you will be so much more comfortable if you do wear them - you'll be less sweaty and feel more rested since you're cutting down on air resistance ever so slightly

25. Post #345
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,419 Posts
    Since you guys definitely know more about the subject than me, what are the slickest, grippiest, easiest to roll, road tires that are cheap, for a 26"x1.5" wheel? I'm also looking for fenders and a computer.

I've been commuting with trail tires and I'm getting quite tired of it.

I also managed to bike all the way to school this morning. When I got there, out front of the teachers' parking lot, I tried to go around a teacher on the sidewalk, went through the wet grass, tried to turn back onto the sidewalk, the front wheel slid and I fell pretty hard. I was taken to the nurses office to clean up and file an injury report. I scratched the hell out of my brake handles, broke my headlight mount, and knocked the rear derailleur out of place.

Road it home again and no major damage, so it still seems to be a tough mother for just $280.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #346
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    if you ride more than like 5-10 miles on a road bike then you basically need cycling clothes
    I own 7 different bikes, 5 of the 7 are different types of bikes.
    I do everything from downhill racing, dirt jumping, free riding, fixie stuff, and even distance road riding (although thats my least favorite).
    Haven't needed it yet, I'll pass on the spandex. haha

27. Post #347
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,019 Posts
    Since you guys definitely know more about the subject than me, what are the slickest, grippiest, easiest to roll, road tires that are cheap, for a 26"x1.5" wheel? I'm also looking for fenders and a computer.

I've been commuting with trail tires and I'm getting quite tired of it.

I also managed to bike all the way to school this morning. When I got there, out front of the teachers' parking lot, I tried to go around a teacher on the sidewalk, went through the wet grass, tried to turn back onto the sidewalk, the front wheel slid and I fell pretty hard. I was taken to the nurses office to clean up and file an injury report. I scratched the hell out of my brake handles, broke my headlight mount, and knocked the rear derailleur out of place.

Road it home again and no major damage, so it still seems to be a tough mother for just $280.
    The white wall is kinda weird but it should work well for what you need.
    http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...rosscyclo-tire

28. Post #348
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,419 Posts
    The white wall is kinda weird but it should work well for what you need.
    http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...rosscyclo-tire
    I managed to misread the tire size on my bike, its actually 26"x2.10".

Are these any good?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

29. Post #349
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,019 Posts
    I managed to misread the tire size on my bike, its actually 26"x2.10".

Are these any good?
    You can have different tire widths without changing anything.
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...8_20000_400238
    I have been looking at these for an on road off road tire.

30. Post #350
    December 2009
    511 Posts
    I have around a 100 dollar budget and I happened to found this browsing craigslist. Not too fancy like your fixies and stuff, but can I get a word from you guys if this is good or not?
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/2614268646.html

31. Post #351
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    I have around a 100 dollar budget and I happened to found this browsing craigslist. Not too fancy like your fixies and stuff, but can I get a word from you guys if this is good or not?
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/2614268646.html
    pretty run-of-the-mill bike, nothing really to say. It'll most likely weigh a ton.
    What exactly are you planning to do with you're future bike? Maybe we can better direct you.

32. Post #352
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    Cannondale is a nice brand, it won't be too heavy. They're well made bikes.

33. Post #353

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/2583824958.html

looks/sounds pretty decent for the price, needs a bit of work though like a respray and either the rear brake moving to the front or a front brake adding, not stuff that would cost much.

probably better to look on ebay most sales on there have decent images so you can see if the frame is made out of rust

34. Post #354
    December 2009
    511 Posts
    pretty run-of-the-mill bike, nothing really to say. It'll most likely weigh a ton.
    What exactly are you planning to do with you're future bike? Maybe we can better direct you.
    I have an extremely low budget (100-200 dollarish?) and I will use the bikes for going to school/library and stuff nothing too extreme.

Edited:

I would love you guys forever if you can somehow find me a bike around my bay area. I live in San Jose, California. What are mountain bikes- with a single speed called? I like simple bikes.

Edited:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/2615619491.html this or Cannondale?

35. Post #355
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,019 Posts
    I have an extremely low budget (100-200 dollarish?) and I will use the bikes for going to school/library and stuff nothing too extreme.

Edited:

I would love you guys forever if you can somehow find me a bike around my bay area. I live in San Jose, California. What are mountain bikes- with a single speed called? I like simple bikes.

Edited:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/2615619491.html this or Cannondale?
    I would go with the cannondale.

36. Post #356
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    school/library and stuff nothing too extreme.
    Post expired so I've got no clue what it was compared to, but given your type of riding, you shouldn't go with that cannondale mountainbike.

You sound like you want a single speed, and that would probably be appropriate for what you want to do, and would be attainable (wont be the best thing in town) in your price range if you're patient. Maybe you should save a bit of money while you wait for the right one to come along.

Honestly theres nothing worse than a bike that doesn't fit you, physically too big/small, or even your personality.

You live in a biking mecca up there, wont be hard.
    Heres a search to get you going:
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/b...sk=&maxAsk=250

37. Post #357
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    666 Posts
    Rode a "Boris Bike" (Barclays Cycle Hire Scheme) from Waterloo East to London Bridge today -

Yup, classy.

It wasn't actually bad. Heavy as a ton of bricks so it rode like a tank and wasn't too steady at low speed maneuvers. Three speed hub gear which was nice, didn't have to worry about downshifting while slowing down. The gears were pretty well spaced, but it wasn't a fast ride at all. Still relatively decent uphill though.

They're only designed for short journeys and for that I think they serve their purpose well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

38. Post #358

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    a couple of times this week i have been stopped by people wanting to ask me about my langster '10 kinda surprised as its not the most beautiful single speed frame but i guess in a town where most people ride either a cheap shit suspension mtb from halfords/comet or a hybrid it does kinda stand out

39. Post #359
    December 2008
    533 Posts
    a couple of times this week i have been stopped by people wanting to ask me about my langster '10 kinda surprised as its not the most beautiful single speed frame but i guess in a town where most people ride either a cheap shit suspension mtb from halfords/comet or a hybrid it does kinda stand out
    For a classic remake, I think it's pretty damn decent, with some nice components, too. You SHOULD be getting stopped!

I was thinking about getting that as a cheaper alternative to a legit vintage, but went with something else. I'll post pics when I'm done making it mine, just picked up some forks, and will be getting some new bars, and some custom leather work (if i can find some good saddle leather, been searchin town for weeks!)

40. Post #360

February 2010
    2,441 Posts
    what psi do you road bike uses keep your tyres at? i just inflated mine close to there rated 115psi and the ride is now horrible