1. Post #1
    June 2010
    2,446 Posts
    I received a letter from Comcast by UPS delivery earlier today and it was a lawsuit by "Cornered Inc." that has a bunch of IP addresses from Comcast including mine. It is claiming that I downloaded a "movie" illegally.

Apparently Comcast received a subpoena from this lawfirm that is representing Cornered Inc.

The thing is, I haven't downloaded anything in over 2 years, and my WiFi is on a WEP security, where there is basically no security. So basically I think that a neighbor back at my old place downloaded something perhaps.

It dates all the way back to June 2010 (the download).

Here's the case which I easily found online:

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/dis...v01476/143799/

Comcast gave me a month notice to give me a chance to file a "motion to quash and vacate" by myself or a lawyer, and they recommended an attorney. If I don't do the whole "motion to quash and vacate" then Comcast would have to release my name, address, phone number, MAC address, etc.

I'm in desperate need of help and I don't know what to do. If this is a serious matter or not. My dad and I are going to an attorney tomorrow, but I was hoping some of you knew about cases like this, if not this exact case.

EDIT:

http://archive.recapthelaw.org/dcd/143799/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Friendly x 86Funny x 26Informative x 18Dumb x 5Winner x 4Optimistic x 2Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2009
    741 Posts
    Move to mexico
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 129Funny x 15Dumb x 2Disagree x 1Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    wow
    you hear all these stories about people and your always like "thatll never be me lol", but then it hits home..... sucks doesnt it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Zing x 103Agree x 42Dumb x 7Funny x 7Optimistic x 1Informative x 1Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,570 Posts
    Uneducated company is uneducated.

Just because your IP is on it doesn't mean you downloaded it.

I'm not sure how this whole LAW thing works, but your attorney should be able to get you out of the sticky situation with the reasoning you made. Except if the RIAA or MPAA decides to get on your ass. Then you bring lube.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny x 129Agree x 12Winner x 3Dumb x 2Zing x 1Optimistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    October 2007
    1,488 Posts
    You sound pretty cornered.

I've never been in this experience myself. But yeah get an attorney.

By the looks of things doesn't seem good they seem to have very strong evidence against you.

All I can say is get some security on that wi-fi and good luck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly x 16Zing x 4Disagree x 1Agree x 1Funny x 1Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    9,207 Posts
    Doubt they'll do anything, they really only go after big named people who sell/distribute pirated materials. This is just one of Comcast's scare tactics to keep you from pirating. They can release your information, but it doesn't mean you'll be sued.

My advice: ignore it; call Comcast and tell them to blow it out their ass, and then switch to another provider.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 79Funny x 2Informative x 1Zing x 1Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    -
    May 2006
    10,073 Posts
    Your American copyright laws are retarded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree x 258Optimistic x 5Dumb x 2Zing x 2Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    505 Posts
    Doubt they'll do anything, they really only go after big named people who sell/distribute pirated materials. This is just one of Comcast's scare tactics to keep you from pirating. They can release your information, but it doesn't mean you'll be sued.

My advice: ignore it; call Comcast and tell them to blow it out their ass, and then switch to another provider.
    Agreed, although if you have illegal anything on your HDD OP I'd suggest getting a new one and nuking the old one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    August 2008
    936 Posts
    no sir, this is absolutely NOT an invasion of privacy. certainly not. big corporations would never do that to their customers, would they?

Edited:

move to somalia, pirate more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Zing Zing x 55Funny Funny x 16Winner Winner x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    October 2007
    1,488 Posts

Don't know if he should relax. But I do kind of agree with you.

They'll probably sue if you were selling pirate DvD's, video games and music that sort of thing.

Internet provider on the other hand. Well 50/50 they're either say fuck off can't be trusted or think we need the customers.

11. Post #11
    -
    May 2006
    10,073 Posts
    Face it, guys. Corporations literally own you people there.

The USA needs another revolution. To save itself from itself. Then all the right wingers can form their own state, call it Dumbfuckistan, and destroy themselves happily ever after, leaving the other half of North America in peace.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree x 160Dumb x 18Winner x 7Funny x 7Disagree x 2Late x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,576 Posts
    Move to mexico
    i dont want no fucking pirates on my lawn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 82Zing Zing x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    October 2010
    3,292 Posts

The USA needs another revolution. To save itself from itself. Then all the right wingers can form their own state, call it Dumbfuckistan, and destroy themselves happily ever after, leaving the other half of North America in peace.
    Face it, Canadians, you're pretty much America's back yard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree x 73Agree x 31Dumb x 7Funny x 3Winner x 1Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    9,207 Posts
    Don't know if he should relax. But I do kind of agree with you.

They'll probably sue if you were selling pirate DvD's, video games and music that sort of thing.
    Comcast has always been a bit nosy toward what their customers are doing, they may know he's downloaded a large file, but they can't tell exactly what it is. My guess is they send these letters out at random to customers that are downloading large amounts in a short period of time. I know I had received a letter from Bellsouth about me "pirating" and all their evidence was simply came from the amount I had downloaded/uploaded over a period of time. What was I doing? Hosting a Garry's Mod Server for a few weeks straight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    August 2010
    29 Posts
    I'm on my third or fourth copyright notice but i live in Canada so...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny x 190Winner x 6Agree x 4Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1Zing x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    March 2011
    11 Posts
    i dont want no fucking pirates on my lawn
    Yeah you tell em, keep those dirty dangerous pirates out of Mexico.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,030 Posts
    snip

18. Post #18
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    8,752 Posts
    Sucks, don't it. Someone downloads a $5.99 movie and gets sued for millions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 38Winner Winner x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,330 Posts
    I always hated Comcast.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

20. Post #20
    December 2010
    210 Posts
    They're threatening to release your name and your address to who exactly?

The copyright owners?

Their big bad list of people they don't like?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 24 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,914 Posts
    Haha.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

22. Post #22
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,841 Posts
    I really don't see how they are capable of monitoring piracy with any amount of effectiveness.

In any case, piracy wouldn't be a problem if we didn't have annoying, obtrusive DRM and ever-increasing prices.

I mean, you can't really curb music or video piracy, but they shouldn't sue for like $39,000 per song, if I ever get caught pirating music, just let me pay the price of each song... it's better than getting bankrupted, I don't think pirating a song causes $39,000 in damages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 50Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,230 Posts

Stay classy Mexico.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    October 2010
    3,292 Posts

I'm not sure which side would be more entertaining, The saftey of the left wing or the chaos of dumbfuckistan. I'd stay in orange county till everything burnt to the ground and show all the left wingers around when they come to rebuild it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Musician and catgirl fanatic
    August 2010
    943 Posts
    I'm pretty sure release of private information is illegal in many states and countries. In reality, they may not be breaking the law(in the US, at least), but they are taking a giant shit on this thing called "ethics."

I remember, two months ago raging about Net Neutrality, and this happens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 9Agree Agree x 4 (list)

26. Post #26
    Go get yourself a lawyer, and most importantly FIGHT IT. Most of the time, these companies don't actually want to do a full lawsuit (which would cost them more than they could win, even with the obscene copyright-infringement laws), they just want to intimidate you enough that you settle. Even if you were guilty, fighting it might make them reconsider.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,841 Posts
    I'm pretty sure release of private information is illegal in many states and countries. In reality, they may not be breaking the law(in the US, at least), but they are taking a giant shit on this thing called "ethics."
    It's probably something nasty in their like hundreds of pages of EULA and TOS and shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,497 Posts
    They're hunting for people who want to "avoid trouble" and settle. I'd say (go to a lawyer but) ignore them completely.

this is not legal advice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,346 Posts
    If I ever got charged for pirating, I would fuckin run off into the forest and survive until I could leave the U.S. or change my identity. I would have no chance in court and if charge would have to pay a life wrecking-ly large fee/go to jail which I would never be able to pay.

That said media copyright laws are fucking crazy. I don't understand how they justify a single song download costing $115,000 or whatever. It'd make sense to charge the actual price for each song yes, but if downloading an album means paying over a million dollars in damages, well that's fucking crazy as shit.

Really though I would not hesitate in the slightest to flee the law if the alternative meant very long imprisonment or obscene punishment/payment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,983 Posts
    Ya dun goof'd. Your consequences may vary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

31. Post #31
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,841 Posts
    If I ever got charged for pirating, I would fuckin run off into the forest and survive until I could leave the U.S. or change my identity. I would have no chance in court and if charge would have to pay a life wrecking-ly large fee/go to jail which I would never be able to pay.

That said media copyright laws are fucking crazy. I don't understand how they justify a single song download costing $115,000 or whatever. It'd make sense to charge the actual price for each song yes, but if downloading an album means paying over a million dollars in damages, well that's fucking crazy as shit.
    Yeah, I wish I could say "Prove it caused that much in damages per song." It's fucking ridiculous. If I was deadmau5 or something and I found out someone pirated my music... I wouldn't really care. As long as we have internet we'll have piracy.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    41,749 Posts
    I think there are lawyers in the states that will file a motion to quash in copyright cases free of charge, I remember reading about it on Torrentfreak.

Search around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33

I've been told that, if you're ever sued for copyright infringement, just go murder the person suing you - the average penalty for homicide is less than the average sentence for copyright infringement. I haven't checked the stats myself, but I know some copyright lawsuits have ended up in the quadrillions of dollars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 27Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    That Dog
    March 2009
    13,251 Posts
    My friend got sued for downloading the Hurt Locker last summer. He just had to pay a fine of $2,800.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 22Funny Funny x 11Friendly Friendly x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    HQRSE FUCKER
    September 2009
    3,054 Posts
    Rogers caught me pirating Crysis. They just mailed us a warning saying don't do it again or we'll cut off your internet and may press charges.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 10 (list)

36. Post #36
    June 2010
    2,446 Posts
    They're threatening to release your name and your address to who exactly?

The copyright owners?

Their big bad list of people they don't like?
    No I wasn't threatened.

They sent me a copy of a letter from United States District Court of the District of Columbia that they received. The letter or subpoena asks Comcast for the huge list of IP's (including mine) information. Comcast can't release it for some reason until they allow me a month to "file a motion to quash and vacate" using an attorney (or by myself, but I don't even know what that means).

I found it online earlier. I'll post it. If I can't find it again, I'll take pictures of the one that I received.

EDIT:

Found it

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal...1476/143799/6/

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    4,900 Posts
    Scary shit man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    17,108 Posts

pfffahahahahahah oh my god you're silly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,983 Posts
    And of course, a pack of phenomenal idiots come in to turn this entire thing into a political debate.

Go team retard! :downsbravo:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Agree Agree x 7 (list)

40. Post #40
    LSK
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,329 Posts

The fuck is that..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)